Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Still need a GUARD!

optimusprimetime

not really.  he is horrible.  people with eyes know this. 

Kory Lichtensteiger, G, Redskins. Age: 28

Deuce Lutui, G, Titans. Age: 30

Rex Hadnot, G, Chargers. Age: 31.

Antoine Caldwell, G, Texans. Age: 27

Stephen Peterman, G, Lions. Age: 31

Brandon Moore, G, Jets. Age: 33

1. Antoine Caldwell, G, Texans. Age: 27

Kory Lichtensteiger, G, Redskins. Age: 28

Deuce Lutui, G, Titans. Age: 30

Rex Hadnot, G, Chargers. Age: 31.

Antoine Caldwell, G, Texans. Age: 27

Stephen Peterman, G, Lions. Age: 31

Brandon Moore, G, Jets. Age: 33

1. Antoine Caldwell, G, Texans. Age: 27

Moore retired.

Congrats.    You just called our GM,  the front office executive of the year -- blind.

He may be horrible,  but the's still the best we got.    People with eyes know this.

no he isn't

and you have never seen a gm or coach play a worse player for unknown reasons.  like say they were a free agent signing and dont want to look bad?  i have seen it.  pretty sure everyone has seen it

Whatever he is.....   he's still the best we've got.    He wouldn't be playing otherwise.....

Therein lies the problem.  He should not be "the best we've got".  Being the "the best we've got" does not excuse Grigson for not addressing the issue prior to the season.  Its not like he just all of a sudden become bad this season.

And my point is that they would have been active over Thornton if they thought they thought they were options to play before him or McGlynn for that matter.  The fact they weren't even active last week probably doesn't make it likely that they are going to start over a guy who has been starting to this point in the season and start over a guy who was active last week when they were not. 

I know PFF does a lot of work in terms of ranking players.  However, NFL teams have their own systems to ranks players.  If the Colts honestly thought Reitz was a better option than McGlynn they would start him over him.  I think it's time that fans come to grips with McGlynn starts because the Colts think he is their best option no matter what we think (I am not a huge McGlynn fan myself) or PFF says.  So on that point we agree. 

I think the Colts want Reitz where he is because they don't really have another option at left tackle besides Link if something should happen Castonzo.  Given the fact that Castonzo has already had a health issue this season and Reitz had limited experience at left tackle they might want him there learning it just in case they need him.  I also kind get the idea they liked him as a tightend/sixth o-lineman on Sunday.  If he's starting at guard then he's not going to be able to play in that role.  So that might factor into what they are doing as well. 

During preseason Link was the #6 OL. He played week one but again he could not play Sunday because he was inactive due to injury not due to the coaches preferring Thornton over him. Personally I like Thornton and am glad he is starting Sunday because I think he is the best guard left after Thomas was injured. As for the rest of this post you only agree with me that the coaches think McGlynn is better.

Therein lies the problem.  He should not be "the best we've got".  Being the "the best we've got" does not excuse Grigson for not addressing the issue prior to the season.  Its not like he just all of a sudden become bad this season.

Oh, for goodness sake....  of course Grigson addressed it before the season.

Do the names Thomas,  Thornton and Holmes mean anything?!?     That's three major investments with the idea that McGlynn would be a back-up where he belongs.

Where are they now?   Thomas -- hurt -- gone for the season.   

Thornton and Holmes were both hurt during the pre-season.   They weren't ready/healthy from Day One.

That's why McGlynn is playing.....

no he isn't

and you have never seen a gm or coach play a worse player for unknown reasons.  like say they were a free agent signing and dont want to look bad?  i have seen it.  pretty sure everyone has seen it

I've just explained this in another post,  but I'll answer it here as well...

Unknown reasons?    Not if you've been paying attention.

In the off-season Grigson invested in Thomas and Thornton and Holmes.     Thomas was hurt in week two.

Thornton and Holmes were hurt during the pre-season and weren't ready to go from the opening week one bell.

This isn't Grigson playing McGlynn to cover his own a** so his bad decision looks good.   McGlynn plays because there was no one else better/healthier at the time.    

Look, McGlynn is a back-up.    This is not a state secret.   But when there's no one better due to injury,  well, then it's the back-ups turn...

Thronton is/was better and McGlynn was still starting over him for some reason. 

You're much smarter than this -- much.   And you're working way too hard to turn nothing into something.

Of course Thornton is better.....   much, much better.    But he was also hurt almost the entire pre-season and the practices leading up to the pre-season,  so he wasn't ready to go when the regular season started.     He's playing now because Donald Thomas got hurt.     We don't have a choice.     He's being thrown into the deep end of the pool and told to swim. 

The reason McGlynn was starting because Thornton and Holmes were not ready to start at the beginning of the season.  Not because McGlynn is better.    He's a back-up, and the whole world knows it.

But when the three guys in front of him (Thomas, Thornton and Holmes) were all hurt to one degree or another,  then McGlynn has to start.    Not because we want him to,  but because we didn't have better options.

I don't know why this is not obvious to you?

During preseason Link was the #6 OL. He played week one but again he could not play Sunday because he was inactive due to injury not due to the coaches preferring Thornton over him. Personally I like Thornton and am glad he is starting Sunday because I think he is the best guard left after Thomas was injured. As for the rest of this post you only agree with me that the coaches think McGlynn is better.

I don't understand that because the coaches watch the tape we don't.

Oh, for goodness sake....  of course Grigson addressed it before the season.

Do the names Thomas,  Thornton and Holmes mean anything?!?     That's three major investments with the idea that McGlynn would be a back-up where he belongs.

Where are they now?   Thomas -- hurt -- gone for the season.   

Thornton and Holmes were both hurt during the pre-season.   They weren't ready from Day One.

He addressed some OLIne issues ... but both guard spots needed to be addressed and Thomas was only the answer to one guard position.  That still left us weak at Center and the 2nd guard spot to address. 

We already knew McGlynn was a weak spot from the previous season, and you don't know for sure what you are going to get in the draft or that they would be ready to go out of the gate (or their 1st season).  So you would think that Grigson would have taken steps in FA to make sure we had a 2nd starting caliber guard.

There were several better guards available who signed 1 yr deals for approx the same or less than McGlynn was going to make in the last year of his deal. 

Had Grigson signed one of these better FA guards McGlynn would not be "the best we've got"

Guest TeamLoloJones

Hugh Thornton did a heck of a job filling in for Donald Thomas on Sunday. Ryan Grigson drafted him in the third round for a reason. I think the coaches and the fans should just see what he can do before they start calling for a replacement. 

I went back and watched the Dolphins game and Thornton without question needs to get better at pass blocking.  But I couldn't be more impressed with his run blocking.  He is a mauler for sure, but he might need some time to gel with AC and samson to help protect Luck.

I went back and watched the Dolphins game and Thornton without question needs to get better at pass blocking.  But I couldn't be more impressed with his run blocking.  He is a mauler for sure, but he might need some time to gel with AC and samson to help protect Luck.

Well he's a rookie that got thrown into the fire after an unexpected injury to Donald Thomas. There's always room for improvement but he will grow into a better player with time.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Well he's a rookie that got thrown into the fire after an unexpected injury to Donald Thomas. There's always room for improvement but he will grow into a better player with time.

Yeah...he's got all the physical talent he needs, once he's got it all put together he has the potential to be our best lineman.  Not bad for a late third round pick.

Yeah...he's got all the physical talent he needs, once he's got it all put together he has the potential to be our best lineman.  Not bad for a late third round pick.

Yeah the Colts definitely have something to build off with him, however I think they need to replace McGlynn. Maybe that's what they pursue in the 2014 draft or another Grigson trade.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yeah the Colts definitely have something to build off with him, however I think they need to replace McGlynn. Maybe that's what they pursue in the 2014 draft or another Grigson trade.

Hopefully Thomas can come back healthy, so we can move Thornton to RG, and groom another rookie Guard to have depth and to be the eventual starter.

People don't want to believe politics could be the reason certain players start over others, but honestly, what other reason could there be for McGlynn even still being on this roster, let alone starting? He's one of Grigson's good ol' boys. He'll be one of our starting guards going forward. Get used to it

People don't want to believe politics could be the reason certain players start over others, but honestly, what other reason could there be for McGlynn even still being on this roster, let alone starting? He's one of Grigson's good ol' boys. He'll be one of our starting guards going forward. Get used to it

Nah, come this time next year Mcglynn will be riding the bench of another team

I've just explained this in another post,  but I'll answer it here as well...

Unknown reasons?    Not if you've been paying attention.

In the off-season Grigson invested in Thomas and Thornton and Holmes.     Thomas was hurt in week two.

Thornton and Holmes were hurt during the pre-season and weren't ready to go from the opening week one bell.

This isn't Grigson playing McGlynn to cover his own a** so his bad decision looks good.   McGlynn plays because there was no one else better/healthier at the time.    

Look, McGlynn is a back-up.    This is not a state secret.   But when there's no one better due to injury,  well, then it's the back-ups turn...

reitz is better than mcglynn.  that is a fact

how many colts starters from the polian era that got nice contracts arent even in the league right now?  and it isnt because of injury or age.  it is because they were on the roster or starting because of politics

We still have Linkenbach and Reitz if Thornton or Mcglynn were to go down.  We not in panic mode just yet at guard.

I hate Link as a tackle but I think he plays pretty good when he's at guard. Reitz is okay too.

If we can find somebody better I'll certainly take it, but we have decent depth players.