Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here is something to chew on....

cmgww

Peyton's second season. After 4 games, we were 2-2 with a bad loss to NE, and a late loss to Miami. I was at that Miami game and the D gave up a late TD. I know this is a totally different team, but that year the Colts gelled and went on a tear to finish 13-3. I am not saying that will happen with this team. The schedule is tougher. But step back from the ledge. We were spoiled by a magical season in which everything went the Colts way it seemed. This year is going to be tougher. Pep will adjust, and if he doesn't, don't think Irsay will hesitate to boot him at the end of the season. But it is early, and Miami is a better team this year. And it was still a tight game. A few bounces go our way and we are 2-0. That's just the game for you....I know things need corrected, and players need to step up. Pep needs to adjust, Luck needs to use his check downs. I think part of that is adjusting back to them after really not having them in Arian's offense. He still wants to go deep. The line, well we know it needs to get better. But they didn't play that bad today. The problem was (as with the Oakland game), making the D pay for blitzing. That is where Luck and Pep have to improve. If that happens we are in much better shape. All in all, I am disappointed, but it's only game 2 with a young team. I am not going to go into hysterics like half the people on this board (and Brad Wells)

Peyton's second season. After 4 games, we were 2-2 with a bad loss to NE, and a late loss to Miami. I was at that Miami game and the D gave up a late TD. I know this is a totally different team, but that year the Colts gelled and went on a tear to finish 13-3. I am not saying that will happen with this team. The schedule is tougher. But step back from the ledge. We were spoiled by a magical season in which everything went the Colts way it seemed. This year is going to be tougher. Pep will adjust, and if he doesn't, don't think Irsay will hesitate to boot him at the end of the season. But it is early, and Miami is a better team this year. And it was still a tight game. A few bounces go our way and we are 2-0. That's just the game for you....I know things need corrected, and players need to step up. Pep needs to adjust, Luck needs to use his check downs. I think part of that is adjusting back to them after really not having them in Arian's offense. He still wants to go deep. The line, well we know it needs to get better. But they didn't play that bad today. The problem was (as with the Oakland game), making the D pay for blitzing. That is where Luck and Pep have to improve. If that happens we are in much better shape. All in all, I am disappointed, but it's only game 2 with a young team. I am not going to go into hysterics like half the people on this board (and Brad Wells)

best post ive read today. well done

Thank goodness. Optimism is nice. 

agree with almost everything with the big exception of Irsay firing Pep at the end of the year.  I really doubt they fire him after only one year, and it would be, or at least should be, Pagano and Grigson making the decision on the offensive coaching staff.  Besides, I think the problems today were a lot more on lack of execution than they were on playcalling.

I get the sentiment.  

But this team is not good at all in 2 fundamental areas that are really important to a winning football team.

They do not get heavy pressure on the opposing QB, and they do not protect their own.

A recipe for a potentially rough season, depending on  just how great OUR QB can be.

I'm out of likes, meh..

I think the Colts will get better as the year progresses.  Honestly IMO they played much better today than they did week one.  Unfortunately, they just played a much better team than in week one, made some costly mistakes and left too many points off the board for how much they moved the football on Miami. 

I am worried about the schedule though, it does look grueling.  Gotta play the Houston twice, Den, Sf, Seattle, Cincy to make matters worse we have to play some solid up and coming teams like the KC, Tenn (who is looking somewhat improved), SD, Cardinals and St. Louis.  We played one today in Miami.  It's going to be hard to get to 8 wins let alone 10 but who knows, the potential is there.  They just need to get consistent.

As with every year though, they will probably win some games they are expected to lose and lose others they are expected to win. 

John Dee, I see where you are coming from. I will say they aren't good YET at those two fundamental areas. Again, we are two games in. The Manning comparison was just to show where he and the Colts were in his 2nd season. Luck has looked a lot better to me. He has made mistakes, yes, but he is getting better...

I don't know about that... 

Pep needs to realize who his "best talent" is...     IE who is his bread and butter...

why is Donald Brown in for pass protection on a crucial 4th down, unless Brad was injured?    Why is Stan H even in on any offensive snap over TY Hilton?    Why do we continually try to throw out of a power/jumbo formation with a bunch of non play makers on the field?   This is the NFL not the PAC whatever.

It is early, but Pep needs to be flexible and try not to shove a square peg into a round hole.  If he has OC talent then he will adapt to the talent he has.    If he doesn't he won't be employed in the NFL very long.

agree with almost everything with the big exception of Irsay firing Pep at the end of the year.  I really doubt they fire him after only one year, and it would be, or at least should be, Pagano and Grigson making the decision on the offensive coaching staff.  Besides, I think the problems today were a lot more on lack of execution than they were on playcalling.

I remember that season well and it was as you say 11 straight wins . The only difference is this year we have a brutal scheduke left ( I won't repeat Malakai) and that wasn't the case in 1999. The only teams that we beat with more than 8 wins were the 9-7 Dolphins and 10-6 Redskins. But your point is taken , it's only two games and we're 1-1.

Pep needs to realize who his "best talent" is...     IE who is his bread and butter...

why is Donald Brown in for pass protection on a crucial 4th down, unless Brad was injured?    Why is Stan H even in on any offensive snap over TY Hilton?    Why do we continually try to throw out of a power/jumbo formation with a bunch of non play makers on the field?   This is the NFL not the PAC whatever.

It is early, but Pep needs to be flexible and try not to shove a square peg into a round hole.  If he has OC talent then he will adapt to the talent he has.    If he doesn't he won't be employed in the NFL very long.

John Dee I couldn't agree more!

Are you guys kidding me on what kind of trade value for luck one loss and luck needs to go what is that it was a team loss you win as a team and you lose as a team it is never centered on one player.

Are you guys kidding me on what kind of trade value for luck one loss and luck needs to go what is that it was a team loss you win as a team and you lose as a team it is never centered on one player.

the pass to run ratio was 2 to 1.  that was putting the  ball in Luck's hands...and we lost.  Havili is on the field because he is a very good blocker and is a good receiver.  You and others want to keep seeing the Manning offense but guess what, it's simply not going to happen.  This team is trying to build balance and imo that is what they need to do.  Further, there's no NEED to stop running the ball.  Bradshaw is averaging 4.1 per carry, Ballard was averaging 4.8 per carry and Brown is at 4.3 per carry.  Those are very good numbers.  The less we run, the more one dimensional we become.  If you think teams are teeing off on Luck now then I don't know what you think will happen if he throws the ball 50 times per game.  

the problem was execution...not playcalling.

the pass to run ratio was 2 to 1. that was putting the ball in Luck's hands...and we lost. Havili is on the field because he is a very good blocker and is a good receiver. You and others want to keep seeing the Manning offense but guess what, it's simply not going to happen. This team is trying to build balance and imo that is what they need to do. Further, there's no NEED to stop running the ball. Bradshaw is averaging 4.1 per carry, Ballard was averaging 4.8 per carry and Brown is at 4.3 per carry. Those are very good numbers. The less we run, the more one dimensional we become. If you think teams are teeing off on Luck now then I don't know what you think will happen if he throws the ball 50 times per game.

Wait wait wait wait wait there buddy, you sound too logical. That is not allowed on this forum.

We need tank the season to acquire the #1 pick, draft Jadeveon Clowney and put him in as starting QB. After that we should trade Luck to Jacksonville for Blaine Gabbert who we will start at inside linebacker. We could probabaly also acquire Jacksonvilles 2019 6th rounder for Luck along with Gabbert. I also expect us to cut Reggie Wayne and start Mike McGlynn at WR in his place while demoting Jim Irsay from owner to offensive coordinator. We will then bring in Daniel Snyder as our new owner.

the pass to run ratio was 2 to 1.  that was putting the  ball in Luck's hands...and we lost.  Havili is on the field because he is a very good blocker and is a good receiver.  You and others want to keep seeing the Manning offense but guess what, it's simply not going to happen.  This team is trying to build balance and imo that is what they need to do.  Further, there's no NEED to stop running the ball.  Bradshaw is averaging 4.1 per carry, Ballard was averaging 4.8 per carry and Brown is at 4.3 per carry.  Those are very good numbers.  The less we run, the more one dimensional we become.  If you think teams are teeing off on Luck now then I don't know what you think will happen if he throws the ball 50 times per game.  

I absolutely agree with you.  This offense is very balanced and I certainly think Pep does adapt, I don't know where some of these statements are coming from.  In the Raiders game it seemed as if Reggie was the only person Luck was throwing to, if Pep/Luck didn't realize who the "bread and butter" was then they wouldn't have kept hitting the man who was open.  In this game we realized they were trying to take away Reggie so we adapted.  I checked the stats at NFL.com and Luck completed passes in this Dolphins game to 8 different receivers with the top one being T.Y. Hilton.  The main player who half the forum kept asking why he didn't get a lot of looks in the 1st game. What would be the purpose of leaving the power running sets when each back we have is averaging over 4 to 5 yards a carry.  On half of the third downs I see us in we are passing the football, but somehow it is being construed like we are always trying to run on third and short.  You can't tell me Pep is stubborn, it's just a bunch of bias.

I don't see how you can be stubborn after 2 whole games, especially when you have a system that you have done well with.  There's not even enough proof to even say you are incapable of executing the scheme.  Nobody asked Tony Dungy to throw away the Tampa 2 after 2 games.  How about we start executing some of the things that are being called better and stop hoisting all the blame on the coordinator.

As well as the like I felt I had to say well done on a calm, thought out and well structured post. It's not like we were completely beaten down on either side of the ball. In parts our O and D looked very good and we have a good core of young players to build on. However with youth comes inconsistency, add into that mix the influx of FAs and it takes time to gel and dare I say it time for Pagano/Hamilton to build experience.

Of course it's much easier to run around saying the sky is falling, all is doom and gloom and exult in sea of knee jerk negative posting so well done again on the OP.  

Well we do like converting 4-3 DEs into 3-4 OLBs.

Yeah, I was puzzled why we drafted another defensive end to play OLB, when Freeney was let go for not being a scheme fit. We like to create and fill a lot of unnecessary voids on the roster. We let Jacob Tamme walk because he's purely a receiving tight end and poor inline blocker, but then turn around and draft Fleener (a player of similar skillset) early to be his replacement. Makes no sense 

Yeah, I was puzzled why we drafted another defensive end to play OLB, when Freeney was let go for not being a scheme fit. We like to create and fill a lot of unnecessary voids on the roster. We let Jacob Tamme walk because he's purely a receiving tight end and poor inline blocker, but then turn around and draft Fleener (a player of similar skillset) early to be his replacement. Makes no sense 

I think they felt that Werner had enough potential in coverage and against the run (basing on his college play anyway) to convert and was young enough to make the conversion more worthwhile.

Freeney on the other hand has never looked great at anything other than hand in a dirt chase/kill/destroying the QB, which he excelled (and still does) at, but there is no place in the new scheme for this.

The good thing is we should be able to slip into 4 man fronts with ease and give the opposition plenty of different looks on D, I can't wait till it actually starts to work (fingers crossed) as it still looks a bit vanilla for me.  

I liked Tamme too and wanted him to stay but there you go I guess the FO saw it differently.

I agree with John Dee-- I was very confused why Donald Brown was in on the final play to block for Luck when the guy is notoriously poor with that skill (Godd*mnit Donald!). I also think Pep needs to get T.Y. more involved in the offense. I think if he is looking at a good way to make defenses play for the blitz, set up some screen plays that involve getting the ball to Hilton when the blitz is rolling in and let Hilton rip off a huge gainer as a result. I am wondering if Luck is sometimes having trouble recognizing the blitz-- granted the final play of the last drive it wouldn't have made any difference considering how quickly he was sacked.

I agree with you in some sense regarding Tamme.  But let's be realistic here, Tamme isn't the threat that Fleener is and Tamme hasn't seen much, if any, playing time this year with the Broncos.  Yeah we let him go, but Fleener is still an improvement (not to mention cheaper).

I agree with John Dee-- I was very confused why Donald Brown was in on the final play to block for Luck when the guy is notoriously poor with that skill (Godd*mnit Donald!). I also think Pep needs to get T.Y. more involved in the offense. I think if he is looking at a good way to make defenses play for the blitz, set up some screen plays that involve getting the ball to Hilton when the blitz is rolling in and let Hilton rip off a huge gainer as a result. I am wondering if Luck is sometimes having trouble recognizing the blitz-- granted the final play of the last drive it wouldn't have made any difference considering how quickly he was sacked.

Having DHB go down hurt Hilton's playmaking ability.  With DHB in the lineup, Hilton is much more able to do what he does best - make plays over the middle of the field.  Without him, Hilton will obviously draw more coverage.