Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

HORRENDOUS day by Pep

Manning1887

This is two weeks in a row where the play calling is just baffling. I swear that Pep is just stubbornly trying to establish the run. WE CAN'T RUN THE BALL! Our o-line is not very good. Gosder Cherilus is the biggest waste of money of the offseason. Mike McGlynn is not a starting caliber guard. There are moments where we are able to pick up 4 or 5 yards, but too often we run on first down and put ourselves in a hole or worse run on 2nd and 10 and make it 3rd and long.

Also, TY HIlton has an outstanding first half and we avoid him in the 2nd. Coby Fleener had a strong first half and a quiet 2nd. We were moving the ball well through the air in the first half just to abandon that in the 2nd half. Almost 250 yds through the air in the first half and about 80 in the 2nd half.

I understand needing the D to respect the run, but WE CAN'T BLOCK THE RUN!!!! Stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. It just isn't happening. Just like every other Colts offensive line that has ever existed, we cannot run the ball.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is two weeks in a row where the play calling is just baffling. I swear that Pep is just stubbornly trying to establish the run. WE CAN'T RUN THE BALL! Our o-line is not very good. Gosder Cherilus is the biggest waste of money of the offseason. Mike McGlynn is not a starting caliber guard. There are moments where we are able to pick up 4 or 5 yards, but too often we run on first down and put ourselves in a hole or worse run on 2nd and 10 and make it 3rd and long.

Also, TY HIlton has an outstanding first half and we avoid him in the 2nd. Coby Fleener had a strong first half and a quiet 2nd. We were moving the ball well through the air in the first half just to abandon that in the 2nd half. Almost 250 yds through the air in the first half and about 80 in the 2nd half.

I understand needing the D to respect the run, but WE CAN'T BLOCK THE RUN!!!! Stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. It just isn't happening. Just like every other Colts offensive line that has ever existed, we cannot run the ball.

This is a horrendous post!  We went up and down the field on the dolphins for most of the afternoon. 

One thing or another during the drive stopped the score.  We honestly scored about 31 to 34 points today

if it wasn't for penalties that took the score back.  Did you really watch the game?

The rushing attack wasn't bad today.  Some of the pass plays were very questionable though.  I hate that bunch formation.  We can't seem to get anything from it.  Some of the play calling when we needed only 1 yard was very questionable.  You mean to tell me Bradshaw is capable of getting us just 1 yard?  Why pass it in all of those situations?  We were lucky that we weren't down 10-14 points toward the end of that game.  When we were in the 2 minute drill to win the game, why try to pass for long yardage or a TD on 3 straight plays?  Why not try and get the 1st down instead or at least try to get a few yards to make a 1st down easier?  There was plenty of time left and we had 2 timeouts left. 

Everyone keep posting our stats. I understand we have good stats but those don't win you games points do.

Yes the refs robbed us of a few points but the good teams overcome small things like the refs robbing you. The packers got a J. Nelson TD taken away and came right back to Nelson on the same drive to score

No excuses, we need to punch the ball in the endzone and uprights

I thought the play calling was MUCH better than last week.  We passed when we needed to, and ran when it worked.  I was actually impressed in the play calling department, when compared to last week.  This loss, to me, was based on them making plays when they needed to, and us not doing the same.  I thought It was a pretty well played game (with a few missed passes by Luck in the first half), but their D stepped up when it mattered and ours didn't, Dolphins won this game.  Congrats to them.

26 car, 133 yards 5.11 ypc

448 total yards of offense

How many other teams this week have comparable numbers?

Only Packers were better

Only Packers were better

What the heck is the OP talking about? We move the ball up and down the field on those boys at will.

This is a horrendous post!  We went up and down the field on the dolphins for most of the afternoon. 

One thing or another during the drive stopped the score.  We honestly scored about 31 to 34 points today

if it wasn't for penalties that took the score back.  Did you really watch the game?

Poor play calling is why we didn't score. Did you watch the game? Quit drinking and actually watch the game next week! We can't block to save our lives! We should have scored over 30 points today, but get bogged down because of a stubborn dedication to the run! We get way too conservative out there. It is not taking what the defense gives us either. Right now, we throw the ball well. Unfortunately, just like every other year, we need to throw to set up the run. We are not a balanced team on offense right now.

Everyone keep posting our stats. I understand we have good stats but those don't win you games points do.

Yes the refs robbed us of a few points but the good teams overcome small things like the refs robbing you. The packers got a J. Nelson TD taken away and came right back to Nelson on the same drive to score

No excuses, we need to punch the ball in the endzone and uprights

yeah, i doubt they were trying to score points.

Simple fact is Luck has some Brett Favre in him with better legs although Favres scrambling ability was decent in his own right(if you watch him close you will know what I mean by there playing style), He is a risk taker at this point in his career, your going to win more often then not with that type of QB because despite some of the dumb plays he does he also comes out with some really great plays, I wont address the Pep is horrendous nonsense

Poor play calling is why we didn't score. Did you watch the game? Quit drinking and actually watch the game next week! We can't block to save our lives! We should have scored over 30 points today, but get bogged down because of a stubborn dedication to the run! We get way too conservative out there. It is not taking what the defense gives us either. Right now, we throw the ball well. Unfortunately, just like every other year, we need to throw to set up the run. We are not a balanced team on offense right now.

I think it is you sir that are drinking.  Where exactly did we get 400 plus yards of offense from?  If you were really watching the game you would certainly know that we scored about 34 points if 2 were not taken back by the refs.   You don't even know exactly what you are ostracizing and the fact that no one on the entire thread agrees with you.  

I'll agree that our O-line is not to par for the power running game. However, I still think Pep is working out some kinks. I would say that week 8-9 is the time to start panicking.

I agree but this offense is frustrating ... Feast or Famine

Over 400 yard of offense and only 20 points does not impress me at all, especially when your defense can't get off the field.  Who cares about stats when they don't translate into scores?  We had plenty of opportunities and on Miami turnovers and could not capitalize. 

I thought we didn't run the ball at the right time, i am sorry but a 3rd and less than one, we have a big buriser of a RB and real good FB.. run it at them. no need to be cute and try to force the ball down field. I just don't think Pep has a good feel for the NFL yet... by no means the end of the world. the sky is not falling... relax. we let this one get away. lets get ready for the next one guys and gals.

Some criticism I have after week 2:

-We are running this 1WR  set about 5-6 plays to many per game.  It appears to me we have been decently successful running in 2/3 WR sets, pretty happy about that.

- I doubt it will be a popular opinion, but after last year and the first 2 games this year, I would be 100% happy with a handful of designed QB runs a game. We are talking 3, maybe 4.  The kid is just to talented. Big and strong.

-Sometimes guys just get in the zone. TY Hilton today, was making plays not even involving himself. The guy goes into halftime with 5 rec, 120+yds.....Give him the ball as much as possible. The guy is hot, ride the hot hand until it wears out.

- Getting a lead in the early 3rd quarter does not constitute running on 1st and 2nd for the next 3 offensive possession, each one ending in the same manner. 

I have to agree with the OP I freaking hate Mr Stanford Hamilton. And the Colts from office should never worry about losing him to a different team as a HC!!! Colts offense with playmakers all over the field Scored 14 early against the raiders then went vanilla. Today we scored a recording breaking 3 points second half!!!

I liked what the running game did, the coaches gave the running game a chance.

They weren't perfect, but they were better than last week. 

I didn't have a problem with the running game.  It just seems like when it was obvious that we should run the ball we threw it.  3rd and short we should try to run it sometimes.  We have a FB and Bradshaw is good for a yard.  We have a 6'4" 240lb QB that I'm pretty sure could sneak it in occasionally.  Instead of trying to pass 10+ yard on 4 consecutive plays at the end of the game, we could have stuck a draw play in there somewhere. 

Only Packers were better

Yeah apparently they just saw the final score and not the actual game. With regards to people saying the OL was horrible, I also would like to ask them how many sacks Cameron Wake had..

I thought the Colts played well but just simply just left a lot of points off the board. Refs didn't help us much in that department also haha. The INT was also of critical timing as well.

I didn't have a problem with the running game. It just seems like when it was obvious that we should run the ball we threw it. 3rd and short we should try to run it sometimes. We have a FB and Bradshaw is good for a yard. We have a 6'4" 240lb QB that I'm pretty sure could sneak it in occasionally. Instead of trying to pass 10+ yard on 4 consecutive plays at the end of the game, we could have stuck a draw play in there somewhere.

Yeah that's one of my qualms also. I don't know why you would pass it on third and short when you have a bruiser QB and Bradshaw.