Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

werner

theanarchist

I didn't see much preseason. I was wondering if people are already writing off Werner. I've read a few posts that give me that indication.

I think it's pretty pathetic if that's the case. One training camp and a few quarters into his first preseason experience and people are already having doubts. The game I did see I saw him put some pressure on and he strung a couple of runs out to his side for short gains. IDK what people expect with players like this.

Obviously being a first round pick people expect an impact player. I sure hope we give Werner a chance to make the transition from 1) college to NFL and 2) DE to OLB. It isn't as easy as it might appear. From what I saw of him in the little time I watched he looked OK to me. He's gonna need some time to develop.

I didn't see much preseason. I was wondering if people are already writing off Werner. I've read a few posts that give me that indication.

I think it's pretty pathetic if that's the case. One training camp and a few quarters into his first preseason experience and people are already having doubts. The game I did see I saw him put some pressure on and he strung a couple of runs out to his side for short gains. IDK what people expect with players like this.

Obviously being a first round pick people expect an impact player. I sure hope we give Werner a chance to make the transition from 1) college to NFL and 2) DE to OLB. It isn't as easy as it might appear. From what I saw of him in the little time I watched he looked OK to me. He's gonna need some time to develop.

I think most people are happy to be patient with Werner. That's the impression I've been getting anyway.

He wasn't great during preseason but he's a rookie, he's learning a new system and he's changing positions so I don't think anyone expected greatness from him this early. Most seem to understand that he's a project and we probably won't start seeing real production from him for some time.

Personally, I'm fairly happy with what i saw from Werner in preseason and I wouldn't be thoroughly disappointed if we didn't see anything spectacular from him this entire season. I think we'll see him progress and begin to settle in and probably get a few sacks and tackles along the way. I'd be fine with that and I think most other Colts fans would to.

He was very good in preseason... PFFs 6th or 9th rated OLB in the preseason... not completely sure.. I know that doesn't mean much, but he only had a few plays where he looked bad against the run... He didn't have a lot of snaps, but got consistent pressure on opposing QBs and was in the right place on most run plays. He will be good. He is the future at OLB, I have no doubt. I'm no scout, but what exactly do we expect from a rookie transitioning to a new position playing behind two guys who make a lot more $$? I've been encouraged by his (limited) play. JMO.

He was very good in preseason... PFFs 6th or 9th rated OLB in the preseason... not completely sure.. I know that doesn't mean much, but he only had a few plays where he looked bad against the run... He didn't have a lot of snaps, but got consistent pressure on opposing QBs and was in the right place on most run plays. He will be good. He is the future at OLB, I have no doubt. I'm no scout, but what exactly do we expect from a rookie transitioning to a new position playing behind two guys who make a lot more $$? I've been encouraged by his (limited) play. JMO.

Werner was 9th and Cam Johnson was 6th, that was in pass rush productivity not overall OLB's

Ich bin nicht für Werner Sorgen überhaupt . Ich denke, ein sehr solider Spieler er werden . Die Menschen sollten ihm mehr Zeit, bevor sie ihm zu zweifeln . Bjorne wird ein wesentlicher Bestandteil des Monsters geworden , nur abwarten und sehen. Menschen werden schließlich fürchten Die Germinator . Ich denke, er wird noch größer , besser, schneller und stärker als Zeit geht weiter.

Go Smurgen Juergen ! ! !

Ich bin nicht für Werner Sorgen überhaupt . Ich denke, ein sehr solider Spieler er werden . Die Menschen sollten ihm mehr Zeit, bevor sie ihm zu zweifeln . Bjorne wird ein wesentlicher Bestandteil des Monsters geworden , nur abwarten und sehen. Menschen werden schließlich fürchten Die Germinator . Ich denke, er wird noch größer , besser, schneller und stärker als Zeit geht weiter.

Go Smurgen Juergen ! ! !

Stop that!!

From what I saw in the preseash Werner was definitely posing a challenge to opposing RT's insofar as his speed around the edge.  I think he's still getting used to the speed of the game.  I saw a few times where he dissapeared in run defence where he should have been setting the edge but I think that will come with time.  He's definitely strong and fast enough to be a great player for us. 

From what I saw in the preseash Werner was definitely posing a challenge to opposing RT's insofar as his speed around the edge.  I think he's still getting used to the speed of the game.  I saw a few times where he dissapeared in run defence where he should have been setting the edge but I think that will come with time.  He's definitely strong and fast enough to be a great player for us. 

He has to get stronger, That looks to be his biggest issue right now

I'm not worried at all for Werner. I think he will be a very solid player. People should give it more time before doubting him. Bjorne will become an integral part of the monster, just wait and see. People will finally fear the Germinator. I think he will be bigger, better, faster and stronger as time goes on.

Go Smurgen Juergen ! ! !

I`m glad you were able to watch Some pre-season.

Yes there has been plenty of bad mouthing Werner. 

Knuckleheads have No Idea how long it takes to be a solid OLB/pass rusher.

$14M for a Hall of Famer who NEVER learned how to play the run. Such a joke!

Again, who are all these people badmouthing Warner?  

I haven't read any articles or heard any analysts say anything negative.  If you're talking about sobe borons on the forub, then who cares?

The way i look at it hes transitioning for 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB    and what ive seen hes doing it all in good timing once he gets stronger and gets his technique gets better he will be a force!

It goes even further than that.  He was originally transitioning from 4-3 DE to 3-4 Rush OLB.  Pagano said they had no intentions of having him also learn SAM OLB this year because they didn't want to throw too much at him all at once.  However the injury to Sidbury changed that and they were forced to also teach him SAM OLB, which is the position he played primarily in the last 2 preseason games.  So add that to also having to play special teams, something he didn't do his final year(s) at FSU and he's had a lot thrown at him in a short period of time.  

On my TV, he was clearly a player who was thinking about his responsibilities on every play and not really attacking anything with confidence. Learning a new position is a tall order and any expectation of going straight to starting NFL OLB in 5 weeks, is frankly goofy. Physically, I never thought he was overmatched, not once. I liked what I saw, he held his own, made some plays and did that flying by the seat of his pants. Pretty good I'd say.

On my TV, he was clearly a player who was thinking about his responsibilities on every play and not really attacking anything with confidence. Learning a new position is a tall order and any expectation of going straight to starting NFL OLB in 5 weeks, is frankly goofy. Physically, I never thought he was overmatched, not once. I liked what I saw, he held his own, made some plays and did that flying by the seat of his pants. Pretty good I'd say.

Exactly, he looked like he was having to think too much; it wasn't coming naturally to him...yet.  Once it does though I think he will be a huge asset to our defense.  :)

Werner was 9th and Cam Johnson was 6th, that was in pass rush productivity not overall OLB's

Thanks for the clarification... I don't think that the stat was the strongest point in the argument for Werner, which is why I didn't bother to look up the proper reference... I realize that it is bad forum etiquette to misquote stats, but I was only trying to illustrate to the O.P. that others have seen something from him in the preseason. Apparently that something was pass rush ability. I don't think anybody is writing him off before he's ever played a game. If they are, they're opinion is even more irrelevant than PFF's preseason pass rush productivity rankings because there isn't enough evidence to form a decent opinion. If we are still saying "he was transitioning to a 3-4 OLB as a rookie" as an excuse for his play at this time, next season.... well then there is cause for concern, IMO.

I think that we are going to have a formidable rotation at OLB this season... The biggest issue in my mind is that our guys seem to be fairly specialized.. it could cause serious issues defending against a hurry up offense, which can be crucial late in games... and against good QBs like the guy we play at LOS on Oct. 20. It would be a big bonus if Walden showed more pass rush prowess and Werner learned to set the edge more reliably... Same goes for Mathis in coverage (and over-pursuing)... I'm optimistic that the first two will happen (Walden has a good motor and Werner just needs some discipline) and Mathis is a beast on 3rd down... Many pundits are showing little confidence in our pass rush, but I think we have the personnel... and the secondary to force the issue, as well...  not to mention more beef on the line to stuff the run, get our opponents in 3rd and long, and allow Manusky to get creative with blitzes... 

I do giggle when I hear people complaining about him making mistakes. Some breaking news, every single HOF'er make mistakes every single game. How dare there be great players on the opposite side of the line. Ridiculous.

You got that spot on. Too many see a player not making a play and assume he played bad without seeing the other player is good and made a good play for themselves. All of these players are NFL pro players and and at times will make someone look bad. It happens in every game played. 

Personally I think he looked promising. He looked good against the run, had some nice pass rushes, held his edge well, was much better on the strong side than weak though.

I agree. Promising is the perfect word. Sure, he can go either side of promising, and the next 8 weeks should be enough to tell. I'm very hopeful.