Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Selections in Walter Football's Mock Draft

Round 1 (22)- Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida

Round 2 (54)- Henry Anderson, DT/DE, Stanford

• What I'm asking here is, how would you guys feel about this draft? Personally, I think it's great. I love building the defense rather than the offense 10/10 times  (heck, maybe this is finally the year the Colts go an all-defense draft to counter their all-offense draft).
  • I believe Greg Toler is a capable #2, but Davis had injury issues last year, and it's no secret that Toler has a history of being injury-prone, as well. So I wouldn't mind to bad picking a corner early.
  • When building a defense, you start at the line. If Indianapolis is going to be a tough-hard nosed football team like Pagano and Grigson preached, then we have to go along with Grigson's words of "creating a cauldron of competition on the D-line".

Let me now if you Colts fans would like this draft or make some changes, or give any opinions at all about what to draft position-wise for next year, or anything at all.

:blueshoe:

We dont not in any way shape or form pick a Corner in the 1st round i think Purifoy is the superior player of the corners anyway 

And why don't we want to pick a corner in the first round?     I missed that memo?

Doesn't matter if Purifoy is superior...   the question is will he be available to us when the Colts pick?     If he's gone,  then maybe Roberson is the guy...    though the chances of one college having two 1st round corners are not likely.

And while I'm guilty of being a Stanford fan,  if Anderson comes out, and if he's around when we pick in the mid-50's,  I think he'd be tremendous for Indy.    Stanford has a lot of NFL talent on it's defense this year, and likely next year as well...

Next year has an excellent 3-4 DE class at the top end. It's also time for us to think about finding a replacement for Mathis, who's 32, in case that guy isn't on the roster yet. So, I definitely wouldn't rule out drafting another OLB early. Front 7 is still the priority in this division where the RB's we face are MJD, CJ2K, and Foster/Tate. Our secondary can handle guys like Locker, Gabbert, and Schaub. Handle the division first, then focus on deep playoff runs.

As far as names go, it's way too early to know who's available when we pick and what the value will be. Guys like Tuitt, Mosley, Van Noy, and Trent Murphy look like solid first rounders now, but a lot can happen in a year. 

And why don't we want to pick a corner in the first round?     I missed that memo?

Doesn't matter if Purifoy is superior...   the question is will he be available to us when the Colts pick?     If he's gone,  then maybe Roberson is the guy...    though the chances of one college having two 1st round corners are not likely.

And while I'm guilty of being a Stanford fan,  if Anderson comes out, and if he's around when we pick in the mid-50's,  I think he'd be tremendous for Indy.    Stanford has a lot of NFL talent on it's defense this year, and likely next year as well...

"We don't NOT want to..."

Duh!

Fail... I don't want a 1st round corner.

Pass rush and O-Line. I can't really say until I see who pans out among the FAs and rookies... not to mention who we re-sign FA wise, but unless we don't re-sign Davis and Toler gets hurt, I'm staying away from corners in the first. Instead I think we should focus on replacing aging vets (Redding, Wayne), pass rush, and/or making sure we have a beastly O-Line.

I'm a big fan of David Yankey. Solid guard from Stanford who fits the scheme. Could be the help the Colts always needed.

Donald Thomas has looked solid all preseason, and Thornton has shown promise as to become a starter as well. Not a fan of taking another G that early.

I like either CB,WR or ILB in the first this year.

CB has really nice depth this year. Bradley Roby, Ekpre Olomu, Purifoy, Justin Gilbert, Aaron Colvin even Roberson are all first round talent wise, i think we could still pick up a talented CB in the 2nd or 3rd. WR completely depends on whether DHB flops or if he gets resigned. CJ Mosley out of Alabama could be a nice pickup in the 1st. We may also need to think about life after Bethea.

My big board for 1st round based on value and position of need

1. Ha'sean Clinton - Dix S - Bethea is in last year of  his contract and were already paying Landry top safety money, Dix is the best safety in the draft and we need more  youth and play making ability in the secondary.

2. Justin Gilbert CB - Davis will most likely be resigned and Toler has played well but he's been injured the past few seasons, we need more depth at the position.

3. Jordan Matthews WR - DHB is only on a one year deal and Wayne will be 35, Luck will need a #1 WR.

My big board for 1st round based on value and position of need

1. Ha'sean Clinton - Dix S - Bethea is in last year of  his contract and were already paying Landry top safety money, Dix is the best safety in the draft and we need more  youth and play making ability in the secondary.

2. Justin Gilbert CB - Davis will most likely be resigned and Toler has played well but he's been injured the past few seasons, we need more depth at the position.

3. Jordan Matthews WR - DHB is only on a one year deal and Wayne will be 35, Luck will need a #1 WR.

3 I agree with and 2 but.....

1.I am going to be watching Dix this year but I liked what I saw from Delano Howell alot this past preseason

3 I agree with and 2 but.....

1.I am going to be watching Dix this year but I liked what I saw from Delano Howell alot this past preseason

I like Howell as well as a tackler and in the box SS, but he plays the same position a Landry. Dix is a FS has the range to cover deep  but can also come up in hit.

I like Howell as well as a tackler and in the box SS, but he plays the same position a Landry. Dix is a FS has the range to cover deep  but can also come up in hit.

Im to see what Howell could do at FS, Whatever happens I hope he gets a real shot here or somewhere to compete for a starting job

I think we need to grab a WR in the first and a Guard in the second.  

If we re-sign Davis, and I think we will he's still young and Toler plays well there is no reason to get a CB in the first.  None

But you got DHB on a 1 year deal and Wayne aging and only having 2 years on his own deal.  Yeah, Colts are gonna need a good WR.  

And I would prefer that who ever we get to be the future WR #1 get a year to play #2 under Reggie before we put him out on the field as our featured receiver.  

Donald Thomas has looked solid all preseason, and Thornton has shown promise as to become a starter as well. Not a fan of taking another G that early.

I like either CB,WR or ILB in the first this year.

CB has really nice depth this year. Bradley Roby, Ekpre Olomu, Purifoy, Justin Gilbert, Aaron Colvin even Roberson are all first round talent wise, i think we could still pick up a talented CB in the 2nd or 3rd. WR completely depends on whether DHB flops or if he gets resigned. CJ Mosley out of Alabama could be a nice pickup in the 1st. We may also need to think about life after Bethea.

If CB has nice depth, then the Colts can get a solid player in the 2nd and even 3rd round. Justin Gilbert can be a great steal in the 3rd round.

If the interior of the O-line doesn't shore up, it wouldn't be bad to spend it on Yankey, who is a Stanford guy. We'll have to see what happens.

I still don't understand the blanket objection to drafting a corner in the first round.

Im of the opinion that I would draft a Corner that has elite skills more then likely, (such as Janoris Jenkins minus his size......skills alone purely, his off field issues were a total separate issue) before I would draft a pass rusher unless perhaps if he is of the Jarvis Jones caliber. Example: Lets say we were faced with the decision..Janoris Jenkins or Bjoern Werner...I'd be more enclined to take Jenkins, Elite Corners have a greater affect because of the sheer number of plays they are in on when it comes to the passing game. if an elite linebacker gets to the QB and gets a sack on lets say 12-15 sacks and lets say 30 pressures for the season well thats 42-45 plays he affected in one form or another....What about the other 900 or so he did not? Now I know he would draw attention on some plays more then others. But are those number of play significant enough to pass on a Corner with elite skills who just needs to get his feet wet? Just a personal preference I guess

Im of the opinion that I would draft a Corner that has elite skills more then likely, (such as Janoris Jenkins minus his size......skills alone purely, his off field issues were a total separate issue) before I would draft a pass rusher unless perhaps if he is of the Jarvis Jones caliber. Example: Lets say we were faced with the decision..Janoris Jenkins or Bjoern Werner...I'd be more enclined to take Jenkins, Elite Corners have a greater affect because of the sheer number of plays they are in on when it comes to the passing game. if an elite linebacker gets to the QB and gets a sack on lets say 12-15 sacks and lets say 30 pressures for the season well thats 42-45 plays he affected in one form or another....What about the other 900 or so he did not? Now I know he would draw attention on some plays more then others. But are those number of play significant enough to pass on a Corner with elite skills who just needs to get his feet wet? Just a personal preference I guess

This is interesting. If this was last year's draft, I would still have taken Werner- for me, I always want to build up front and then work on the back end. Not to mention Mathis' age. If we were in a little different situation, where the two positions were the same for us, not worrying about age or any other factors, I'd probably still be more inclined to take the pass rusher. Janoris Jenkins is a terrific football player, there's no doubt about it, but let's forget that the Rams last year had a monstrous pass rush, tying Denver for most in the league with 52 sacks. With all that pressure, it forces quarterbacks to make those risky throws the cornerback can then act on.

This is interesting. If this was last year's draft, I would still have taken Werner- for me, I always want to build up front and then work on the back end. Not to mention Mathis' age. If we were in a little different situation, where the two positions were the same for us, not worrying about age or any other factors, I'd probably still be more inclined to take the pass rusher. Janoris Jenkins is a terrific football player, there's no doubt about it, but let's forget that the Rams last year had a monstrous pass rush, tying Denver for most in the league with 52 sacks. With all that pressure, it forces quarterbacks to make those risky throws the cornerback can then act on.

very true, there are a variety of factors when choosing pass rusher over corner or vice versa, I probably should not have said I would definitly do that but to me there is little doubt that a Corner directly affects more plays then even the most elite of pass rushers...especially those pass rushers that could give a rip about stopping the run....rendering that pass rusher useless

All things being equal, everybody would take the pass rusher

but a CB can only take away one receiver or one zone at a time.  If he's an elite CB then yeah, he can take away the other team's best WR, but there are other options for the QB to throw to.  If a pass rusher can get to the QB then boom, play over.  I'm not saying I wouldn't take a first round CB...far from it.  If I'm faced with a CB and pass rusher of equal talent then I'd look at team depth before making a decision.  If I have equal depth for both then I'd take the pass rusher.

This teams major need has not changed one bit..      speedy ends who can get the QB, and OFFENSIVE LINEMEN.

If I am Grigs next draft I am going ..   in no particular order.

1   Rush LB/END

2   OL

3   Rush LB/END

4   OL

Unless a "blue chip" WR were available then I may go that route in the first.   This team is really set up very nicely every where else. 

EXACTLY...      I do not get all this CB talk?

A great pass rush will make ANY CB look good.       And it will make a "really good" CB look GREAT.

Freeny and Mathis had a hard time making Jacob Lacey, Chris Rucker, Terrance Johnson etc look good. ;)

I kid, I kid....well partly.  A lot of that was scheme related but I disagree a great pass rush can make ANY CB look good.  Plus, CB is going to be a little higher priority in our defense due to the tendency to play more man coverage vs. zone.  Zone defenses can have a little more leeway in terms of the talent of their CB's.

Depending on where we draft/who is available...and what we do in free agency... my NUMBER ONE priority would be to build the best offensive line that we can. I know people say we need this and we need that...but honestly, just imagine if we had the O-Line of SF...it would make EVERYONE on the entire team look better...not just on offense, but also on defense. We would be able to score more easily, dictate the time of possession...and that would make the entire D look better.  With everything we have invested with the decision to cut Peyton and and draft Luck, we need to make O Line our top priority, otherwise that was all for nothing, in my opinion.   Once the O Line has been bolstered to a top line, then we can better access and fix other areas....but hey, that's just my opinion

I agree mostly with John Dee... Rush OLB and OL (Franchise Center and Guard?).  I also think we really need another WR who can step in for Reggie.  Even if DHB sticks, he's a #2.  Hilton should be the Slot/2.  Our depth at WR is shocking weak... right now we have 4 WR and one of those is Whalen... if Reggie went down, with 2 injured TE's we're screwed.  And Reggie will lose the the undefeated Father Time eventually, though I would love to see him here 3 more years to set most of the receiving records in reach (outside of Rice's ridiculous career).  But we need his true understudy learning under him now while he's still top tier.  We're going to need to replace Bethea soon as well.