Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My takeaways from last night.

post-13151-0-46970400-1376908823_thumb.j post-13151-0-06328400-1376908839_thumb.j post-13151-0-66402600-1376908914_thumb.j

Just kidding!

Here are some of my thoughts about last night's game:

• I was impressed with Walden. I thought he did well against the run and even managed to get in for a sack.
  • T.Y Hilton is just awesome!
  • Mike McGlynn is just awful.
  • We defended well on 3rd/4th downs and in the red zone. The ones still haven't given up a touchdown. However, we weren't particularly impressive defensively outside of those situations and we allowed the Giants to put together a few good drives.
  • Toler looked decent and seems to be getting more and more comfortable. I thought he was beaten a few times but always managed to recover well. This was particularly noticeable on his INT play.
  • We got some really good pass rush going with the twos and threes. Drake Nevis and Ricardo Matthews impressed me as well as Monte Simmons, Marshay Green and whoever number 52 was. (Edit: Just remembered, number 52 is Kelvin Sheppard).

Overall, it was obviously a better performance than Buffalo but there were still one or two problems on the starting O-Line and on the starting D. Certainly more positives to take away than negatives, however.

For the most part, I agree with what you stated.  Here are a few added thoughts from me.

I thoght Werner looked pretty good, he has some improvement, but for a rookie, who has basically changed positions, he looked pretty good.

The Rushing game still is not where it needs to be, this was against a team that was 22nd against the rush last year.  The O line does not seem to be able to push anyone off the ball.  The game is won or lost in the trenches.  You can go on and on all you want about the so called "Skilled" positions, but if you loose the battle at the line you're screwed.

The D Line, though not really getting pushed around this year, they don't seem to be pushing people around either. But, just holding their own on a rushing play is an improvement.  I have always though Drake Nevis would be a great DT one day.  He has a motor that just don't quit.  He just needs to stay healthy.

Over all, I though the starting O did quite well, the second string did decent, Harnish needs to learn how to throw the ball without getting it smacked.  The starting D does good once they settle in.

attachicon.gifchinese.jpg attachicon.gifpizza.jpg attachicon.gifindian2.jpg

Just kidding!

• I was impressed with Walden. I thought he did well against the run and even managed to get in for a sack.
  • We defended well on 3rd/4th downs and in the red zone. The ones still haven't given up a touchdown. However, we weren't particularly impressive defensively outside of those situations and we allowed the Giants to put together a few good drives.
  • Toler looked decent and seems to be getting more and more comfortable. I thought he was beaten a few times but always managed to recover well. This was particularly noticeable on his INT play.
  • We got some really good pass rush going with the twos and threes. Drake Nevis and Ricardo Matthews impressed me as well as Monte Simmons, Marshay Green and whoever number 52 was. (Edit: Just remembered, number 52 is Kelvin Sheppard).

Overall, it was obviously a better performance than Buffalo but there were still one or two problems on the starting O-Line and on the starting D. Certainly more positives to take away than negatives, however.

I agree with the Werner assessment.  Obviously he still has a lot of improving to do, but for the rookie's debut, I thought he showed decent instinct and has a good nose for the ball.  Toler looked like he got beat a few times as well, I'd have to go back and watch the game film, but I don't think he got blown out or anything. 

And man is McGlynn awful.

I agree with the Werner assessment.  Obviously he still has a lot of improving to do, but for the rookie's debut, I thought he showed decent instinct and has a good nose for the ball.  Toler looked like he got beat a few times as well, I'd have to go back and watch the game film, but I don't think he got blown out or anything. 

I am laughing....I have called McGlynn McAwful since first seeing him play with us....a true star with no pads on.....:)

Toler did get beat a couple of times, but everybody gets beat a time or two.  His interception turning his entire body around to me was a sight to behold...a true show of athleticism and uncanny awareness against a very good quarterback  :thmup: (Guys....and gals....notice I did not use the word elite...it is now censored :) )

attachicon.gifchinese.jpg attachicon.gifpizza.jpg attachicon.gifindian2.jpg

Just kidding!

Agree, except I really don't 'takeaway' much from our pass rush against their 2s and 3s.  Maybe it means our second string can beat theirs?  I am anxious to see Nevis and Rayford play with the 1s, hopefully next week.

I also keep saying the coaches must be putting the best O linemen out there.  But I'm baffled in what they see in McGlynn.  Experience is nice, but I wouldn't want Forrest Gregg playing for the Colts right now either.

It took me a couple seconds to get what you were doing with the pictures.  I thought "Junk Food?".

I am laughing....I have called McGlynn McAwful since first seeing him play with us....a true star with no pads on..... :)

Toler did get beat a couple of times, but everybody gets beat a time or two.  His interception turning his entire body around to me was a sight to behold...a true show of athleticism and uncanny awareness against a very good quarterback  :thmup: (Guys....and gals....notice I did not use the word elite...it is now censored :) )

The INT was a great play.  He keeps making plays like that, and he'll definitely earn every penny of his contract.

I'm not a fan of the number of plays we're running with 2 backs on the field, particularly with the lack of production in the run game to show for it thus far this preseason. The idea of us being a power running team with runs up the gut this season is a joke as long as our interior line stays the way it is. Our playmakers are lined up out wide for the time being, so I think it's pretty pointless to take one of those receivers off the field for a fullback when we're not even running the ball efficiently

I'll tell you who else looked good - DHB, Walden, and Ricky Jean-Francois.  I don't think DHB had any drops, or if he did, I must have missed it.  I had doubts about Walden's pass rushing abilities after last weeks pre-season game, but after last night, I'm optimistic. 

DHB had no drops.  Fleener will have to be the whipping boy on the forum this week.

Walden and RJF had solid games.  I hope for Eli's sake they come up with a better RT than Deihl. 

Agree, except I really don't 'takeaway' much from our pass rush against their 2s and 3s.  Maybe it means our second string can beat theirs?  I am anxious to see Nevis and Rayford play with the 1s, hopefully next week.

I also keep saying the coaches must be putting the best O linemen out there.  But I'm baffled in what they see in McGlynn.  Experience is nice, but I wouldn't want Forrest Gregg playing for the Colts right now either.

It took me a couple seconds to get what you were doing with the pictures.  I thought "Junk Food?".

When football was football....mud, blood, sweat.....snow...rain...pain....and keep those hands in blocking :)

ForrestGregg.jpegforrest-gregg-at-1.jpg

DHB had no drops.  Fleener will have to be the whipping boy on the forum this week.

Walden and RJF had solid games.  I hope for Eli's sake they come up with a better RT than Deihl. 

DHB did have one drop across the middle on his first 'touch.'  It was pretty well defended but I have to call it a drop...not sure if it was labeled a drop....if I am wrong someone correct me.  I was not at the 40 yard line this week....:)

I'll tell you who else looked good - DHB, Walden, and Ricky Jean-Francois.  I don't think DHB had any drops, or if he did, I must have missed it.  I had doubts about Walden's pass rushing abilities after last weeks pre-season game, but after last night, I'm optimistic. 

I meant to mention RJF. I thought he played as well as anyone against the run.

I don't have anything bad to say about DHB but i don't have anything particularly good to say about him either. All of his catches were pretty routine and none should have been dropped. To say he didn't drop any doesn't assign him a great deal of credit imo.

I didn't mention Werner...  :scratch:

And Toler certainly didn't get blown out at any point. Not in my opinion anyway. I just noticed two or three instances in which the receiver managed to get that 'first step' against him, the upper hand in the coverage battle. However, every time that happened, Toler managed to either make up the ground or re-establish his position which was promising to see.

Nevis and Rayford did get some snaps in in the 1st half.  I don't know enough about the Giants to know if it was all 1st string or a combination but Diehl was still tackle and I believe Eli was still the QB.  Man, I forgot how disruptive Nevis is on that line.  He may not start but he will see significant snaps this season.  Rayford is the real deal, IMO.  He has great strength at the POA, excellent quickness and a nose for the ball.

Some other things I took away from the game.

Any word on when Dwayne Allen is supposed to return?  Fleener is a liability as the primary TE.  dropped passes, and then not even looking at the QB when the ball hits him right between the numbers... on his back.  That is unacceptable for an undrafted rookie, let alone a 2nd year pro.

I find it funny that people are praising Walden's game.  Walden has great speed but outside of the sack in which he played well, he had a poor game.  His whole thing is setting the edge and he's too weak to set the edge.  Too many times the running back was able to bounce it outside of him and pick up good yards.  I was impressed by his speed but that is about all.

Luck looked good, overall although his stats should have been 9 of 13 with 1 TD and 1 INT (the 9 comes from a perfect pass he threw to Fleener but he let it go through his hands).  But still he looked sharp, the TD pass to Hilton was perfectly placed, he ran well when he had to and his placement on his throws was superb.  If the oline gives him time he is going to pick apart some defenses.

Oline - Is bad.  AC looked good, Thomas was up and down... good in pass pro but poor in run blocking.  Reitz is a good guard but why oh why are they trying him at LT?  He was not good at LT.  McGlynn, I (along with others) though McGlynn looked bad last year and he has not improved.  Cherilus looked good.. he got beat once on pass protection but outside of that he was solid... not great.  Satele did not look good, another who has no power at the POA.  Link was Link... he was always in proper position but he doesn't do anything with it.

Colts are set with their top 3 WRs.  All were impressive.  I did think it was interesting when they showed the starters for the Colts the starters were Hilton and Heyward-Bey.  Not that I think it means anything just thought it was curious.

Defensively, I thought Ricky Jean played well but Franklin would just stand up at the snap and do nothing.  Redding is solid and strong but his age is showing (or perhaps he knows to take it easy in the preseason).  I also thought Chapman played better than Franklin. 

The LBers as a group were horrible.  I've already talked about Walden.  Werner, I think, will be a good player and you could see him getting better on the field,  Shepphard is just not good, he seemed to run to the wrong hole, he doesn't get his hands up to protect his body and would sit and wait for blockers to come to him.  I can't wait for Freeman and Angerer to get back to the field.

The DBs started off slow but they looked better as the game went on.  Landry should make a big difference back there.  Davis and Toler played solid, Davis better than Toler, IMO.

STs were good.

I will be interested to see Pep's O when he sets a game plan.  The game started horribly but he seemed to make good adjustments during the game so that was good. 

Overall I was pleased with the QB and WRs on and the DBs on D but the lines, RB and Lbers have a long way to go.

I didn't mention Werner...  :scratch:

And Toler certainly didn't get blown out at any point. Not in my opinion anyway. I just noticed two or three instances in which the receiver managed to get that 'first step' against him, the upper hand in the coverage battle. However, every time that happened, Toler managed to either make up the ground or re-establish his position which was promising to see.

haha, I think I meant Walden, but then just confused him with Werner and ran with it and didn't notice lol.

he game was great, we are still getting gashed against the run but we are not giving up TD's that was the most impressive thing for me. We completely held the giants without a TD.

Our secondary was good, aside from the PI call on Bethea (which should have been on Toler IMHO)

We are progressing nicely,  lots of improvement over last game, I hope we continue progressing into the 3rd and 4th games.

Seemed to me that Vontae Davis missed a lot of tackles.  Could be that a veteran in preseason just doesn't take the game that seriously.

Yeah I can think of 2 or 3 that he missed. Him and Toler have to come up and make tackles when backs get the edge on our D. Missed tackles on the outside will lead to 6

Werner, Nevis, and Rayford impressed me the most, all showed the ability to get consistent pressure on the QB. Werner also looked good dropping into coverage, Eli was confused a couple of times he did that. Nevis has been our best interior d -linemen he just looks faster and stronger then last year.

Chapman should be starting over Franklin he's just as strong but provides more pass rush. I would like to see more of Chapman,Nevis, and RJF together on the field i think that's our best lineup.

Everyone on the o-line played well except McGlynn, he should have been benched for Cleary.

Offensively Luck, TY,Wayne, and DHB all had great games. Fleener didn't but he was coming off a concussion so i'll give him a pass but i won't vs the Browns, he needs to play better. We didn't run well but i think it'll improve as the season goes along. Were still a passing team just need to mix it up on occasion.

Secondary played great Davis,Toler,and Butler is the best trio of CB's we've had in a long time. We just don't have any depth if one of those guys go down. When Landry comes back will be much better but if we can make it through the season without those guys getting injured, we could be a top 10 pass defense.

DHB did have one drop across the middle on his first 'touch.'  It was pretty well defended but I have to call it a drop...not sure if it was labeled a drop....if I am wrong someone correct me.  I was not at the 40 yard line this week.... :)

im pretty sure andrew skipped the ball across the ground before it got to dhb

Werner, Nevis, and Rayford impressed me the most, all showed the ability to get consistent pressure on the QB. Werner also looked good dropping into coverage, Eli was confused a couple of times he did that. Nevis has been our best interior d -linemen he just looks faster and stronger then last year.

Chapman should be starting over Franklin he's just as strong but provides more pass rush. I would like to see more of Chapman,Nevis, and RJF together on the field i think that's our best lineup.

Everyone on the o-line played well except McGlynn, he should have been benched for Cleary.

Offensively Luck, TY,Wayne, and DHB all had great games. Fleener didn't but he was coming off a concussion so i'll give him a pass but i won't vs the Browns, he needs to play better. We didn't run well but i think it'll improve as the season goes along. Were still a passing team just need to mix it up on occasion.

Secondary played great Davis,Toler,and Butler is the best trio of CB's we've had in a long time. We just don't have any depth if one of those guys go down. When Landry comes back will be much better but if we can make it through the season without those guys getting injured, we could be a top 10 pass defense.

A nice evaluation here. I like what you said coltsfanatic24!  :thmup:

Here is what stuck out for me:

• TY is a stud.
  • Run game is still a work in progress.
  • Walden will have success here.
  • Werner played well for a rookie. He got in the backfield a few times.
  • Fleener is still struggling...a lot.
  • Reggie is one of the greats (nothing new here). 
  • Nevis and Rayford can get after the QB...Nevis looks funny running around to me for some reason.
  • Pagano is extremely passionate and appears to have his energy back. He was running around congratulating guys and also chewing the defense out late in the game. 

<p>

Here is what stuck out for me:

• TY is a stud.
  • Run game is still a work in progress.
  • Walden will have success here.
  • Werner played well for a rookie. He got in the backfield a few times.
  • Fleener is still struggling...a lot.
  • Reggie is one of the greats (nothing new here).
  • Nevis and Rayford can get after the QB...Nevis looks funny running around to me for some reason.
  • Pagano is extremely passionate and appears to have his energy back. He was running around congratulating guys and also chewing the defense out late in the game.

Yeah I forgot about that. He was yelling at loiseau after a big gain by the giants on a screen I believe.

Yeah, the camera just happened to focus on him and he was livid. Definitely a change from Caldwell and even Dungy. 

Thats how I feel a coach should be. Caring ad supportive but isn't scared to light a fire under your pooper either.

I think all of these observations were spot on. The only thing I can add is we have yet to see all of the slotted starters out on the field. We have almost as many changes in this roster than last year and it takes time for everything to gel together. All things considered I think this team will become a team that not too many other teams will want to play as the season goes along. 

I think all of these observations were spot on. The only thing I can add is we have yet to see all of the slotted starters out on the field. We have almost as many changes in this roster than last year and it takes time for everything to gel together. All things considered I think this team will become a team that not too many other teams will want to play as the season goes along. 

I definitely think this team has improved on the defensive side of the ball.  I know it's only preseason, so obviously any assessments should be taken with a grain of salt, but we have been much better against the pass.  Pass rush is still a concern for me, but still improved.  Run defense has been okay.  Some good, some bad.  I think with Landry in at SS, that will change. 

White?

He is lanky like him, has the motor like Jarrett Johnson to rush the passer or disrupt (should get better vs run with time), and is used to drop back in coverage and not used as the rush OLB all the time. Suggs rushed more often and Mathis is playing those same principles as Suggs in our D.

At least that is the role I think he was talking about when he referred to Jarrett Johnson or the latest one that played opposite Suggs, Paul Kruger. :)