Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Luck have overrated arm talent?

GoodLuck

I thought that gm in Jersey last season was telling. The ball was all over the place. His throws seemed to look a lot diffefent in outdoor gms. I think of Matt Ryan's arm and believe that's the level of arm talent Luck has.

Luck has a ton arm talent...That wasn't the issue with many of his throws last year.....The issue with many of his throws last year was a few things:

1.Hanging onto the ball to long (Timing was off on a large majority of his misses)

2.Staring down a receiver

3.Didn't always take what the defense gave up (If there is a wr underneath especially one like Hilton.....Or Bey this year and defenders are way out off position and playing further down field then you throw the easy pass to 1 of them guys and let them get yards after the catch....It doesn't matter if a drive goes 80 yards on 1 play or 80 yards 10-11 plays as long as both result in points.....As matter of fact that breaks many defenses will when you pick them apart like that (He forced throws that did not need to be forced)

Luck has a ton arm talent...That wasn't the issue with many of his throws last year.....The issue with many of his throws last year was a few things:

1.Hanging onto the ball to long (Timing was off on a large majority of his misses)

3.Didn't always take what the defense gave up (If there is a wr underneath especially one like Hilton.....Or Bey this year and defenders are way out off position and playing further down field then you throw the easy pass to 1 of them guys and let them get yards after the catch....It doesn't matter if a drive goes 80 yards on 1 play or 80 yards 10-11 plays as long as both result in points.....As matter of fact that breaks many defenses will when you pick them apart like that (He forced throws that did not need to be forced)

Good list.  I will add aiming/short arming some of his passes...goes right along side of 'staring down' as you say Gavin.

No arm issues.  Was he not throwing 65-70 yards against the wind in his pre-draft workout last year at Stanford?  

I seem to recall the biggest issue scouts and talking heads had with him was his arm strength and deep ball accuracy. I do think he will get better with the timing aspect, seeing as he was a rookie largely throwing deep to rookies like Hilton and Brazill (occasionally). Even if his deep ball doesn't improve greatly, I can accept that.

Luck's arm is good to very good, but not great --- in terms of strength.

But I suspect it's going to get better and stronger....   

Over on NFL.com there's a story about which QB has the strongest arm in the NFL and you see all the usual names....  and you also see Aaron Rodgers.    Gotta tell you,  I don't recall anyone calling his arm a gun when he came out of Cal.   So, arm strength can improve...

Gavin has touched on some of Luck's QB flaws he saw last year...   and I think he's mostly correct.   I attribute some of that to being a rookie....   I attribute some of that to a feeling I think Luck had that he had to make a play every down, and that if he didn't, the offense would stall out.....     and I attribute some of that to not being a very good fit in the Arians offense.

Combine all that with an incredibly poor OL and a substandard running game, I think it made for some very, very sloppy and frankly, disappointing play from Luck.    Seriously.

He is capable of so much more and I'm confident he knows it.

I think the Andrew Luck 2.0 that we'll see this year will be the Luck many Colts fans thought they were going to see

last year.....     :thmup:        (and by the way,  I think Luck 3.0 next year will be even better!)

I remember Manning in his early yrs. Ball wobbled a lot and.just didnt appear to have elite arm strength. In his prime though, he had a cannon. His arm strength became underrated at a point in his career

At no point in his career has Manning had more arm strength than Andrew Luck.

Luck's only problem was forcing passes to Reggie. He was just determined to get the ball there. But that'll change this year with TY, Allen, & Fleener being in the 2nd year and with the Addition of DHB

That "he held onto the ball too long" knock I don't count cause our oline sucked so badly that 2seconds with the ball was "too long"

Luck's only problem was forcing passes to Reggie. He was just determined to get the ball there. But that'll change this year with TY, Allen, & Fleener being in the 2nd year and with the Addition of DHB

That "he held onto the ball too long" knock I don't count cause our oline sucked so badly that 2seconds with the ball was "too long"

Good point TK,I might add as well dumping off to the RBs

why are you questioning your own teams QB I say again colts made the right choice in drafting luck RG3 is way overrated period now luck he wasn't always perfect last season but show me the perfect QB is a system that he is not that comfortable with and show me a rookie that don't make mistakes every rookie makes mistakes give the man a break now i'm sure he will be a lot more patient with the new system because its his college offense I think he will be a lot better this year.

Can we add below average o-line to this list?

why are you questioning your own teams QB I say again colts made the right choice in drafting luck RG3 is way overrated period now luck he wasn't always perfect last season but show me the perfect QB is a system that he is not that comfortable with and show me a rookie that don't make mistakes every rookie makes mistakes give the man a break now i'm sure he will be a lot more patient with the new system because its his college offense I think he will be a lot better this year.

No one is questioning the QB.    The question was asked about how strong is Luck's arm.   Big difference.

On another topic totally unrelated....

I don't suppose you happened to notice that you wrote more than 4 lines of continuous words without a single period (.) or comma (,) or a question mark (?)     Now that's impressive!      :thmup:

P.S. --- in case you're wondering,  as best I can tell (and I could easily be wrong!)  I think you've written 8 or 9 sentences.  It's just too hard to tell....   sorry.....

People gotta understand that when a QB is under pressure, it's a NATURAL INSTINCT to look for their #1 WR and throw it to them. That's where most of Luck's picks came from. Being under fire and looking for Reggie to bail him out. But with these 3-5 step drops we're putting in now, all that should change.

I hope we're crisp on offense as much as we were on the opening drive vs the Texans @ LOS. Man, that was a thing of beauty that drive *wipes tear*

No offense to the OP, but what does this discussion accomplish?

* Does it correct our overreaction to the exciting new QB we have so we can look more appropriate in the eyes of other teams fans?

* Does it provide the truth that Luck's arm is not overrated so we can wage battle with those who think he does?

* Does it dissuade guilt?

* Is the question a proverbial "sheep in wolf's clothing? (not actually sure if that was mentioned as a proverb)

For me, this is one of those rare times that I consider the word, flabbergasted.

* Does it correct our overreaction to the exciting new QB we have so we can look more appropriate in the eyes of other teams fans?

* Does it provide the truth that Luck's arm is not overrated so we can wage battle with those who think he does?

* Is the question a proverbial "sheep in wolf's clothing? (not actually sure if that was mentioned as a proverb)

For me, this is one of those rare times that I consider the word, flabbergasted.

I took the OP's post to simply mean he was wondering about Luck's arm strength and wanted to get the viewpoint of his fellow Colts fans....

I didn't read anymore into it than that......

I took the OP's post to simply mean he was wondering about Luck's arm strength and wanted to get the viewpoint of his fellow Colts fans....

I didn't read anymore into it than that......

I guess for me, I would have to have had an instance where I questioned his arm strength while watching a game.

Never happened.

I thought that gm in Jersey last season was telling. The ball was all over the place. His throws seemed to look a lot diffefent in outdoor gms. I think of Matt Ryan's arm and believe that's the level of arm talent Luck has.

No.

His arm is underrated he just didn't have any WR's who could consistently catch the ball deep a Stanford.I think Luck has one of the top 5 strongest arms in the league along with Flacco,Newton,RG3,and Cutler. Here's a video of him throwing 70 yards into the wind at his pro day and if he was indoors could have went for 80.

I remember Manning in his early yrs. Ball wobbled a lot and.just didnt appear to have elite arm strength. In his prime though, he had a cannon. His arm strength became underrated at a point in his career

Manning never had a cannon. His wobbling of the ball was just a technique issue that Arians helped get rid of his rookie year...according to Jim Sorgi.

At no point in his career has Manning had more arm strength than Andrew Luck.

That's correct and you might want to consider that Luck also throws a nice tight spiral while Manning didn't or doesn't. Taking that one step further , when you get to cold weather , windy games , you often need to throw a spiral as it cuts through the wind far better than a "non spiral." Think maybe this might have had at least a "bit" to do with the 9-10 playoff record ? Not a lot , as it's a team game and we also lost some home games and one at Miami and I think another at SD ? Just saying that at least the games at NE where we needed him to shine and maybe the one for Denver also ? The Jet loss was pretty stinky too.

I'm not sure of the phrase 'arm talent'...

Someof Andrwe's decisions last year were questinable and inexperienced.

But he throws the ball accurately and its not rock to catch like John Elway's used to be.

Luck does not have RG3's arm strenght but neither doies Manning, Brady or Brees.

Arm talent is aterm I cant define

You're thinking too much. Relax

Unless you think Matt Ryan has a cannon, then that's exactly what he's saying.

I thought, that he thought the other guy was comparing Peyton's arm to Lucks. He wasn't he was just saying Mannings arm was considered over rated when infact it became under rated later in his career.