Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Luck have overrated arm talent?

GoodLuck

I thought that gm in Jersey last season was telling. The ball was all over the place. His throws seemed to look a lot diffefent in outdoor gms. I think of Matt Ryan's arm and believe that's the level of arm talent Luck has.

I wanted you to know I was genuinely curious in my previous post. I honestly did not know if you were serious or not. I found the premise so out in left field, that I asked my questions. Your questions, if genuine, have just as much right as anyone else...including mine.

Carry on.

I wonder if there is a way to quantify arm strength?

Velocity of the ball when thrown to a specific target?

How deep you can throw the ball indoors?

I tend to lean towards throwing accurate thru tight windows. Others prefer who can throw the best deep balls. Gor yrs people would say Vick had the strongest arm. He can sling it a mile, but accuracy is usually a problem with him.

Arm strength is overrated. If Peyton can win with his diminishing "arm strength" that tells me the QB position is about much more than throwing hard.  

Chad Pennington...is that you?  I look at the picture of his are below...and remember all of the 'stuff' about Peyton's arm last year....look at that little arm...

1020756.png

John Unitas didn't have exception arm strength and near the end of his career he had no arm strength at all (the whole 1970 season when the Colts won the Superbowl in Jan 1971). There is nothing to worry about with Luck's arm strength. If you find yourself worrying about Luck's arm strength just remember Jeff George had great arm strength then you'll see things more in perspective.

Wait, overrated? I thought it was underrated? How can you rate anything with guys draped around your waste? Or guys in your face a d can't step into your throws like you need? Or rushing your throws for that matter? Or the fact that he was a rookie last year?

Manning never had a cannon. His wobbling of the ball was just a technique issue that Arians helped get rid of his rookie year...according to Jim Sorgi.

There were a lot of wobbling balls thrown by Manning last season. Manning has always had a wobble in his passes. 

There were a lot of wobbling balls thrown by Manning last season. Manning has always had a wobble in his passes.

It stands to reason that a QB recovering from nerve damage and having numbness in his hand would throw wobblers.

It decreased mightily from his first couple yrs

John Unitas didn't have exception arm strength and near the end of his career he had no arm strength at all (the whole 1970 season when the Colts won the Superbowl in Jan 1971). There is nothing to worry about with Luck's arm strength. If you find yourself worrying about Luck's arm strength just remember Jeff George had great arm strength then you'll see things more in perspective.

I can agree with that. George might have had the biggest cannon that I can recall. Zip on the ball within 20 yards is more important than if a QB can throw 70 yards down field. 

Chad Pennington...is that you?  I look at the picture of his are below...and remember all of the 'stuff' about Peyton's arm last year....look at that little arm...

1020756.png

Actually I think arm strength is a bit of a misnomer.  From doing some reading it sounds like a lot of the power is generated by the lower body.   I think body type and technique have something to do with this.  

Otherwise it would be easy one would think to fix the problem by working out.  

It's not about arm strength it's about accurate arm strength and I think that's a skill that Luck is still developing.  Most QBs are not pinpoint accurate coming into the NFL. 

Lol not many that have been here for years are pinpoint,its an elite group IMO

Actually I think arm strength is a bit of a misnomer.  From doing some reading it sounds like a lot of the power is generated by the lower body.   I think body type and technique have something to do with this.  

Otherwise it would be easy one would think to fix the problem by working out.  

Core, quads, hips and butt all contribute greatly.