Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Teams most likely to step back in 2013

Coltsfanman1953

I suspect that as more and more media outlets tackle this subject -- sooner or later, everyone does -- that the Cols will likely be among the teams that all media thinks will take a step backwards this year....

And I'm fine with it....   because just as we used being ranked 32nd overall last offseason as fuel for 2012,  we can play the 'no respect' card very well in 2013....

Go ahead, media....    put a big collective chip on our shoulders...!     And thank you very much for doing that!      :thmup:

(I'd bet Pagano and Grigson would be happy as well..!)

I think ten wins is a reasonable estimate; if you want to call that a step back so be it. But our record was probably four games better than it really should have been last year. We got a lot of wins on smoke and mirrors, some good luck, and a lot of emotion. The record doesn't really indicate the talent level of the team.

I expect us to be better, well rounded, more balanced, all that, this season. No question. But I don't think it's going to be evident just by comparing the records.

I think ten wins is a reasonable estimate; if you want to call that a step back so be it. But our record was probably four games better than it really should have been last year. We got a lot of wins on smoke and mirrors, some good luck, and a lot of emotion. The record doesn't really indicate the talent level of the team.

I expect us to be better, well rounded, more balanced, all that, this season. No question. But I don't think it's going to be evident just by comparing the records.

You're reading my mind like the cheap novel that it is!!     Couldn't have said it any better myself!

Well done,  mad props!       :thmup:

You are what your record says your are... end of story.

Fate or luck (lol not Andrew) did not win us those games. We have Andrew Luck, an amazingly clutch QB. That's a skill. He will most likely always have that and there's nothing that tells me we won't win 11 games or more yet again. Despite a talent deficiency, he'd always keep us in games. Now that there's more talent on the team, I actually expect our record to get better. 

I agree with that assessment but i think those things are just as important as talent, particularly emotion and smoke and mirrors (if by that you mean tactics/strategy).

If you assess our record based purely on our player's talent then we definitely over achieved, but I think you can list things like 'character', 'effort', 'team morale/togetherness' etc. as qualities. We seem to have a very tight knit group right now (ChuckStrong brought everyone together) and every single Colts player seems like they would give their all on game day. That elevates us above some other teams who are better than us on paper imo.

Fate or luck (lol not Andrew) did not win us those games. We have Andrew Luck, an amazingly clutch QB. That's a skill. He will most likely always have that and there's nothing that tells me we won't win 11 games or more yet again. Despite a talent deficiency, he'd always keep us in games. Now that there's more talent on the team, I actually expect our record to get better.

You can't just deny the existence of luck...

I'm glad we are the underdog again. I really love the direction of the team that we are building!
What we have added

A second dynamic saftey in Landry

a bigger front seven! RJF, Franklin, Werner

A second year for most of our players I fully expect Luck and TY to be a beast for years to come.

I look forward to seeing the development of Freeman as our stud linebacker and really like most of all:

a possible 4 new offensive lineman starters and even if they don't start it will be a significant improvement in at least 2 spots which is great!

GO COLTS IN 2013!

we are a team that is greater than the sum of our parts. you can look at teams that is loaded up with talent; like the eagles a couple years ago and how well did they fair? even the next year the media thought they would win their division and make a run... we simply played last year with clear eyes, full hearts, couldn't lose.... i expect the same from the team again this year, only filling a couple holes... looking at you o-line.

I don't get how the Cowboys are listed. How do you take steps back, if you don't even take forward steps?

The only reason the Cowboys were even in playoff contention was cause the defending SB champs played horrible football, & the Eagles just fell all apart.

4 teams in a division, if only 2 are doing something that's given the Cowboys would be in the hunt for the Division title

You can't just deny the existence of luck...

Probably no more luck than any other team had. I kinda get tired of the luck card being played when it comes to the Colts. It's not like they were winning close games by turning a tipped pass into a pick six, the immaculate reception or some crap....the Colts won close games by putting together game winning drives.

Not saying the the 2012 Colts were a great team, but I give them credit for having the will to win and coming thru when it matters the most.

The Cliche Police called, they want their line back. ;)

I'm not saying the Colts didn't deserve to be 11-5 or anything like that. I'm just saying I think they outplayed their talent level, and even though I think we'll be a better team in 2013, I don't expect a major difference in our record.

Luck deserves a lot of credit for the late game production, and there's nothing to suggest that he isn't capable of performing that way throughout his career. But teams don't usually have nine games decided by one score or less in a single season, and even veteran teams with good quarterbacks aren't usually 8-1 in that situation. It was unusual. I'd expect us to still do good in close games, but hopefully we'll have fewer of them that go down to the wire like that, simply because we'll play better early on.

If we had done better to start against the Lions, or if our offense hadn't stalled or we had been better against the run vs. the Chiefs, then those games don't require late scores to decide the outcome. That's where I hope to see the improvement. But even then, there aren't too many more games you can win in a 16 game season. 11-5 is a really good record; the last three Super Bowl champs failed to win 11 regular season games.

I agree. I see 12 wins and the division.

The colts taking a step back is complete and total ***********  because you don't go 11-5 with a system the QB wasn't totally comfortable with and then hire his college OC and then all the sudden you suck your not gonna beat anybody and your taking a step back that's Bull.

I think the people who put stuff like this out are factoring in the fact that you guys aren't playing the Browns, Bills, Chiefs etc. this year. The NFC West, Broncos, and a rising Dolphins squad is the catch here. Not to mention the tougher AFC South. A harder schedule some would say. I don't think many expect a lot of those close, either or games either.

I don't think it was Lucky wins.

Like Andrew said, just a bunch of kids that didn't know any better. Just kept playing until the final whistle. And as time went on, we got better. The best drive outside of the GW drives we had was the opening one vs HOU at LOS. We were almost flawless so to say. And Andrew with the Hard Count had the Texans all messed up

:funny:

I think many media and other fans feel we over achieved greatly and the lack of big name FA's and non-sexy draft means (to them) we didn't improve very much and could thus slip back.  Most here feel that we got stronger all over, but it remains to be seen for certain. So many guys getting starter pay and jobs that need to pan out that never had them before.  Here's hoping the overachieving tradition continues to 12= wins and a PO win as well.  

Let him talk just like I said, Let them give there opinions and get do what they are paid to do It will be that much sweeter at the end of week 17 when we are gearing up for the playoffs.......Again

Who cares about what these duwds talk about when there isnt anything to talk about.

Of course they can get away with saying this in May. What were they saying May last year? Exactly. 

Even though I dont agree - I still keep it in its proper perspective. We won 11 games last year - but 7 were come from behind. Its not like we dominated 11 NFL teams last year. So yes - that leaves room for criticism.

The crime is paying attention to these jokers. Just look at whats here now that wasnt last year. Im not ashamed of a little luck to accelerate the reloading process. Heck - if we would have only won like 4 games the only FA we would have attracted were gold diggers.

Let them duwds talk - save some of their quotes & hit their blogs up when its time for show.

I just say we let our play and record during the season do the talking. We can all sit and speculate but its only gonna be proven on the field. If the media wants to fule our fire....... let em!!! Pagono and the staff will have this mentally and physically ready for the season. All this just

Excites me even more for the season, because then at the end of the season I can turn around and laugh at these guys when were in the playoffs.

I'm glad we are the underdog again. I really love the direction of the team that we are building!

What we have added

A second dynamic saftey in Landry

a bigger front seven! RJF, Franklin, Werner

A second year for most of our players I fully expect Luck and TY to be a beast for years to come.

I look forward to seeing the development of Freeman as our stud linebacker and really like most of all:

a possible 4 new offensive lineman starters and even if they don't start it will be a significant improvement in at least 2 spots which is great!

GO COLTS IN 2013!

Agreed! Also, welcome to the boards! :D

The Cliche Police called, they want their line back. ;)

I'm not saying the Colts didn't deserve to be 11-5 or anything like that. I'm just saying I think they outplayed their talent level, and even though I think we'll be a better team in 2013, I don't expect a major difference in our record.

Luck deserves a lot of credit for the late game production, and there's nothing to suggest that he isn't capable of performing that way throughout his career. But teams don't usually have nine games decided by one score or less in a single season, and even veteran teams with good quarterbacks aren't usually 8-1 in that situation. It was unusual. I'd expect us to still do good in close games, but hopefully we'll have fewer of them that go down to the wire like that, simply because we'll play better early on.

If we had done better to start against the Lions, or if our offense hadn't stalled or we had been better against the run vs. the Chiefs, then those games don't require late scores to decide the outcome. That's where I hope to see the improvement. But even then, there aren't too many more games you can win in a 16 game season. 11-5 is a really good record; the last three Super Bowl champs failed to win 11 regular season games.

Cliches? Not for me. I avoid them like the plague.

Cliches? Not for me. I avoid them like the plague.

Yeah well, for the life of me, I can't shake the feeling that the guy who wrote this article is dumber than a box of rocks. What I like about this team is that, until heck freezes over, they fight til the bitter end. You give them an inch, they take a mile, and they never look back. So there ain't no way, no how, that this team takes a step back next season. Onward and upward!

(I feel sullied and unusual.)

We had a relatively easy schedule last year, that being said it isn't too bad this year either. Personally I would rather see us have the league's toughest schedule but that's just me.

We were not the most talented team in the world last year, but we were one of the youngest teams, those youngsters will get better and we have added key scheme-fits to the squad... we should be a lot better, but I see us winning one game less.

That being said, it only counts what you do in the playoffs, and I believe we may have a playoff win in us this year.

Who knows though, it is an incredibly difficult task to make these predictions... too many teams and too much analysis and ifs/buts involved.

We had a relatively easy schedule last year, that being said it isn't too bad this year either. Personally I would rather see us have the league's toughest schedule but that's just me.

We were not the most talented team in the world last year, but we were one of the youngest teams, those youngsters will get better and we have added key scheme-fits to the squad... we should be a lot better, but I see us winning one game less.

That being said, it only counts what you do in the playoffs, and I believe we may have a playoff win in us this year.

Who knows though, it is an incredibly difficult task to make these predictions... too many teams and too much analysis and ifs/buts involved.

You can never tell with the schedule.  I think last year our strength of schedule was listed pretty high, yet it turned out a bunch of the teams we played weren't that good.

This year we have one of the easiest SoS, but we're playing the NFC West with two of the best teams in the league, the Rams who really improved, and the new Cards.  

I think this years schedule is tougher with just about every team except the Raiders and Jags expecting to improve vastly.

You can never tell with the schedule.  I think last year our strength of schedule was listed pretty high, yet it turned out a bunch of the teams we played weren't that good.

This year we have one of the easiest SoS, but we're playing the NFC West with two of the best teams in the league, the Rams who really improved, and the new Cards.  

I think this years schedule is tougher with just about every team except the Raiders and Jags expecting to improve vastly.

I thought we were considered to have a relatively easy schedule even prior to last season, I could be wrong though.

I agree this schedule is tougher, but still a lot of very winnable games. SoS is very hard to determine at this stage, but we have nothing else to go on to make our predictions. 10 wins as a realistic goal regular season, wildcard win should be achievable in playoffs... I think that's a realistic goal. However, if all the pieces fall into place as they are intended to and Luck really takes it to another level, AFC title game might not be unfathomable.

Again, who knows, I doubt anyone remembers any of these predictions come December anyway.

I thought we were considered to have a relatively easy schedule even prior to last season, I could be wrong though.

I agree this schedule is tougher, but still a lot of very winnable games. SoS is very hard to determine at this stage, but we have nothing else to go on to make our predictions. 10 wins as a realistic goal regular season, wildcard win should be achievable in playoffs... I think that's a realistic goal. However, if all the pieces fall into place as they are intended to and Luck really takes it to another level, AFC title game might not be unfathomable.

Again, who knows, I doubt anyone remembers any of these predictions come December anyway.

It's not a prediction, it's based on opposing win/loss percentages. We were tied for the 14th hardest SoS in 2012.  We have the third easiest this year.  

Personally, I feel the AFC has more weaker teams than the NFC.  It's possible we win less games this year, but end up going farther in the playoffs.  I don't think the Pats, Ravens, or Texans are that much ahead of us.  IMHO, it's the Bronco's conference to lose this year.

I will be quite chipper and thrumbing with giddyness if we again get 11 wins and make the playoffs. Luck will be much more prepared in PO round number two.

No such thing as luck?

I do recall a game in which the Colts won the toss in an overtime game against the Titans, which the Colts won by scoring a TD on the first possession. Hmmm...

Also, the Colts were very fortunate in terms of injuries which may or may not be the case next year. 

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we ended

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we had a better team this year, with a slightly worse record.  We waaay overplayed our talent level last year.

Either way, I like our chances of advancing in the playoffs better with our roster this year, regardless of what the overall record is.

No such thing as luck?

I do recall a game in which the Colts won the toss in an overtime game against the Titans, which the Colts won by scoring a TD on the first possession. Hmmm...

Also, the Colts were very fortunate in terms of injuries which may or may not be the case next year.

Fortunate with injuries? Colts were riddled with injuries last season.

Not that great of a blog, IMHO, but here's where I agree completely with the writer...

"in a tough conference, a wildcard birth for the Colts seems extremely unlikely."

Frankly, a pregnancy with even a single Colts player would completely shock me, toughness of the conference notwithstanding.