Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Justice Cunningham apparently a star of Rookie camp

UKColt13

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the players we got in free agency, the draft, undrafted free agents, and btw alot of these players look really good in all those areas, I sure would hate to be Pagano cutting this roster down to 53! I think theres going to be some good players that arent going to make the cut! Our loss will be somebody elses gain!

I love this ZZ Top highlight reel Jay! Fantastic post Brother!  :worthy:

I gotta give our GM Ryan Grigson props...He's selecting strong, big, thick athletic guys that can catch, block, & score near the endzone, & take a hit man! I apologize Superman for more or less stealing your talking points. I don't view it as plagiarism because #1: I am giving you credit for them completely & #2: "Imitation is the highest form of flattery" right?  haha Just Kidding! 

He looks really good from the highlight videos. This statement will have to wait until i see him in an actual game but its a shame he's that good because we have 3 good TE's plus loads of good WR's. Wonder how they will incorporate all the TE's.

Rookie camp does not equal matchday games. 

im sure there have been plenty of players who looked like stars in camp.

i wouldnt take anything out of it 

I think the coaches take a lot out of training camp. The players play in training camp makes the difference in getting picked to go on to make a roster spot while the other go home. Training camp is where the bubble players make the team. 

We kept 3 Tight Ends last year plus 5 WR's, Going with that same theory we could have 3 wr spots open and 1 TE spot if the coaching staff is going to go by the same roster structure they did last year.......Which is certainly not a given one way or the other: So using that structure its apparent that 3 wr spots are pretty locked in barring injury and 1 TE spot

WR's

Wayne

Bey

Hilton

TE's

Allen

Fleener

I think the 3 wr's will be

Lavon Brazill

Rodrick Rumble

Either Lanear Samson or Griff Whalen

with possibly Kelley making the PS

TE wise I think it will be

1.Allen

2.Fleener (the order of them does not really matter they will both be on the field alot together)

3.Justice Cunningham (I think if we put him on the PS we will lose him)

With a PS TE not even on the roster yet

What he thrives on Brother :thmup:

Nice! Total turn around from last season when Grigson and Pagano were dealing with the 38 million in dead cap space. Also Grigson bringing in 38 new players who were not wanted by other teams and putting a winner on the field. I think Pagano and Grigson both are real happy with what is going on at this time. Now comes the hard part in figuring out who stays and who goes not to mention taking a peek at players being released by other teams. It's pretty exciting to see the Colts being totally rebuilt even though that's not what Grigson and Pagano call it. Not often do you see a team going through all the major retooling and still be in the hunt for the division crown. Go Colts!

We kept 3 Tight Ends last year plus 5 WR's, Going with that same theory we could have 3 wr spots open and 1 TE spot if the coaching staff is going to go by the same roster structure they did last year.......Which is certainly not a given one way or the other: So using that structure its apparent that 3 wr spots are pretty locked in barring injury and 1 TE spot

WR's

Wayne

Bey

Hilton

TE's

Allen

Fleener

I think the 3 wr's will be

Lavon Brazill

Rodrick Rumble

Either Lanear Samson or Griff Whalen

with possibly Kelley making the PS

TE wise I think it will be

1.Allen

2.Fleener (the order of them does not really matter they will both be on the field alot together)

3.Justice Cunningham (I think if we put him on the PS we will lose him)

With a PS TE not even on the roster yet

I think when it comes to the WR's you put down, the top 3 are a lock. But the other 2/3 are really up in the air right now. Personall i see it going like this.

Locks:

Wayne

DHB

TY

Possibles:

Whalen

Sambrano (The coaching staff love him. He went on IR before the start of last season. Got released, went somewhere else (Tennessee i think, but dont quote me on it), got released. But then we re-signed him. Wouldnt be suprised to see him make the roster.)

Sampson

Kelley

Rumble

Nice! Total turn around from last season when Grigson and Pagano were dealing with the 38 million in dead cap space. Also Grigson bringing in 38 new players who were not wanted by other teams and putting a winner on the field. I think Pagano and Grigson both are real happy with what is going on at this time. Now comes the hard part in figuring out who stays and who goes not to mention taking a peek at players being released by other teams. It's pretty exciting to see the Colts being totally rebuilt even though that's not what Grigson and Pagano call it. Not often do you see a team going through all the major retooling and still be in the hunt for the division crown. Go Colts!

Your right it will be a dilemma making some decisions to cut some players,the way you make this team if your a bubble player is flat out bust your behind on Special teams,and some of our cast offs will possibly make other teams.Through whats transpired in the last few months and the health of  Chapman ,this definitely looks to be an exciting year,even with a tough schedule.I think people are gonna be shocked just how good this team is barring a bunch of catastrophic injuries in TC .We IMO are a much more solid and deep team than maybe ive seen here in INDY

In my opinion:

Wr,

Wayne

Dhb

Ty

Brazil

Fleener

Whalen

Te,

Allen

Justice

Saunders

Your entitled to your opinion but think your wrong unless we carry 4 TEs this kid can block as well as catch the ball,your not going to play in Steve Spurriers Offense if you cant

I was thinking the same thing, but it's not a given that we keep Havili. I figure we will, but I think that we could use Cunningham as a blocking back and a lead blocker much more effectively than we could use any other tight end on the roster. All told, I think it's more likely that we keep Cunningham and Havili than it is that we keep Cunningham and Saunders, but Cunningham can scratch that FB itch if necessary.

I really like Havili, by the way.

We also have that FB that was an UDFA.  I have a feeling we wont be using a TE for a FB position anymore this year.  I hated seeing Allen lining up in the backfield last year.  Waste of potential IMO

We also have that FB that was an UDFA.  I have a feeling we wont be using a TE for a FB position anymore this year.  I hated seeing Allen lining up in the backfield last year.  Waste of potential IMO

I'd prefer to have a true fullback as well, but if someone like Cunningham does a better job of it than someone else, then we should use him in that capacity.

Like I said, I think we'll probably keep a fullback and three tight ends, but there's no sense in ruling out using the most capable player.

No way we keep 4 TE's and a FB.

I don't see why not if we just go with 5 WRs and our 4th TE impresses more than a 6th WR. With Pep Hamilton's system, if we ever have to go with 3 TEs but maintain the receiving threat of Fleener as a flanker, I can see 4 TEs on the roster.

Bottom line: If Pep's playbook has enough 3 TE formations, we are not going to go with just 3 TEs on the roster.

If you have watched the way Jim Harbaugh's offense operates, 3 TE looks are more common than other offenses, and I do anticipate 4 TEs, 4 RBs (including 1 FB), and 5 WRs at least. The 5th WR spot is still open behind Reggie, DHB, TY, and Brazil. The 4th TE and 5th WR spots will be heavily contested. In fact, I think there is room for a 6th WR if we have just 2 QBs, which I think we will.

In fact, I think it (roster of 53) will shape up as:

2 QBs, 4 RBs (including 1 FB), 4 TEs, 6 WRs, 8 OLs making 24 on offense

8 DLs, 7 LBs, 6 CBs, 5 safeties on defense making 26 on defense

LS, P, K on ST

I still think we are one injury to either Ballard or Brown away from being thin on the starting RB front. Kerwynn Williams is a limited down back, as we all know.

I don't see why not if we just go with 5 WRs and our 4th TE impresses more than a 6th WR. With Pep Hamilton's system, if we ever have to go with 3 TEs but maintain the receiving threat of Fleener as a flanker, I can see 4 TEs on the roster.

Bottom line: If Pep's playbook has enough 3 TE formations, we are not going to go with just 3 TEs on the roster.

If you have watched the way Jim Harbaugh's offense operates, 3 TE looks are more common than other offenses, and I do anticipate 4 TEs, 4 RBs (including 1 FB), and 5 WRs. The 5th WR spot is still open behind Reggie, DHB, TY, and Brazil. The 4th TE and 5th WR spots will be heavily contested. In fact, I think there is room for a 6th WR if we have just 2 QBs, which I think we will

In fact, I think it (roster of 53) will shape up as:

2 QBs, 4 RBs (including 1 FB), 4 TEs, 6 WRs, 8 OLs making 24 on offense

8 DLs, 7 LBs, 6 CBs, 5 safeties on defense making 26 on defense

LS, P, K on ST

I agree with your count of 24 on offense, but I think we'll have 9 OL (maybe 10 depending on health, but let's go with 9). I'd say 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 5 WRs. That's 19. The remaining five depend on competition, I think. At this point, I'd probably guess 3 TEs, one FB, and that last spot is up for grabs between a receiver, a tight end, and Chandler Harnish. JMO. Way too early to tell.

I agree with your count of 24 on offense, but I think we'll have 9 OL (maybe 10 depending on health, but let's go with 9). I'd say 2 QBs, 3 RBs, 5 WRs. That's 19. The remaining five depend on competition, I think. At this point, I'd probably guess 3 TEs, one FB, and that last spot is up for grabs between a receiver, a tight end, and Chandler Harnish. JMO. Way too early to tell.

10 OLs, the last time the Colts had 10 OLs was when they started with Ugoh because Charlie Johnson was injured to begin the 2010 season, I think. Then they cut Ugoh once CJ was healthy. So, you are right, 10 OLs only if a starter they are counting on is injured, otherwise 9 OL at best.

The RB situation, to me, is very tenuous if an injury happens to Ballard or Brown, which is very likely to happen given the position's nature. The offense cannot operate the same way with a limited down back like Kerwynn Williams if Ballard or Brown needs to be replaced with him. That would also mean a disproportionate increase in primary RB carries to Ballard or Brown if the other goes down. So, the FB and Kerwynn Williams should give the coaches ample confidence to split enough carries should an injury happen to Ballard or Brown.

So, more than a 4th TE or 6th WR, a 3rd between-the-tackles-kind-of-RB (outside Ballard and Brown) has a good chance to sneak in if he impresses, all other things considered equal. Thus, we may be looking at 5 RBs including the FB, IMO. Who might that be though?

Rookie camp does not equal matchday games.

im sure there have been plenty of players who looked like stars in camp.

i wouldnt take anything out of it

Sure rookie camp is not the same as playing against Houston but it sure is important to make a good first impression. If you put in the effort and show promise now, the coaches will remember and give the guy more reps and opportunities come training camp and in to the season.

10 OLs, the last time the Colts had 10 OLs was when they started with Ugoh because Charlie Johnson was injured to begin the 2010 season, I think. Then they cut Ugoh once CJ was healthy. So, you are right, 10 OLs only if a starter they are counting on is injured, otherwise 9 OL at best.

The RB situation, to me, is very tenuous if an injury happens to Ballard or Brown, which is very likely to happen given the position's nature. The offense cannot operate the same way with a limited down back like Kerwynn Williams if Ballard or Brown needs to be replaced with him. That would also mean a disproportionate increase in primary RB carries to Ballard or Brown if the other goes down. So, the FB and Kerwynn Williams should give the coaches ample confidence to split enough carries should an injury happen to Ballard or Brown.

So, more than a 4th TE or 6th WR, a 3rd between-the-tackles-kind-of-RB (outside Ballard and Brown) has a good chance to sneak in if he impresses, all other things considered equal. Thus, we may be looking at 5 RBs including the FB, IMO. Who might that be though?

I meant to include a possible 4th RB in the mix for that last spot. You're right, with Williams probably being more suited as a scat back than an every down ball carrier, having a contingency in case of injury makes sense. But there are still backs available now, and there will be throughout the season, if you need one for emergency's sake. Just off the top of my head, Ahmad Bradshaw, Cedric Benson, Beanie Wells, Felix Jones, all still out there right now. You can find a back if necessary. I would think someone like Carter would have to absolutely stand out to make a case for carrying a 4th RB + a fullback. That's why I say those last five spots mostly depend on competition.

This is a good problem to have at this point.

It makes sense to model their roster after a Green Bay or San Fran since that's the offense we're running basically so with that said 4 TE's is a smart guess, besides, TE' s are becoming more and more essential to an offensive scheme regardless of strategy...besides Saunders isnt weak...he was a solid player this year and if we drop him BA will pick him up as soon as he can and make him a Cardinal...RB is tricky though...with 4 RB's I can see Ballard, Brown, Williams and Moore....but brown will get hurt....he definitely will so who would be the PS guy??

Thats why Carter may stay. This guy is getting no love he isn't that bad!

I think we will use a TE in the FB role in some spots, and also keep an FB in the FB role -- my reason being is that Spider Y Banana, the number 1 read is always the guy lined up at full-back -- IMO, Dwayne Allen could tear defenses apart in that scheme

I think we will use a TE in the FB role in some spots, and also keep an FB in the FB role -- my reason being is that Spider Y Banana, the number 1 read is always the guy lined up at full-back -- IMO, Dwayne Allen could tear defenses apart in that scheme

But so could Havili. As a matter of fact, with Havili back there, it's a more natural I Formation, and the play action might be more effective.

I'm not sure either Allen or Fleener have anything to worry about.....

But I think Saunders, who was our 3rd TE last year,  should be very, very fearful for his job.    Very.

I think Cunningham is a better version of Saunders.   Just as good a blocker,  better hands and route runner,   and stronger locker-room presence...

I think he stands a very, very good shot at the #3 TE on opening day....

Why in the world do you think he has a stronger locker-room presence?  Were you in the locker room?  I mean how would you even know that?  It's statements like this that make me disregard everything in the post, which might be somewhat correct. 

But so could Havili. As a matter of fact, with Havili back there, it's a more natural I Formation, and the play action might be more effective.

I am actually a huge fan of a TE that is capable of being the FB, especially someone as versatile as Allen. It means so much more can be done at the LOS to exploit mismatches. You start to bring players in and take players out, you give the defense time to adjust.

I am actually a huge fan of a TE that is capable of being the FB, especially someone as versatile as Allen. It means so much more can be done at the LOS to exploit mismatches. You start to bring players in and take players out, you give the defense time to adjust.

I agree, but that takes us back to the topic of the OP. I think Cunningham fits that H-Back role, particularly as a lead blocker out of the backfield, better than Allen does, because he's a better blocker (IMO). And if you're going to run play action out of I Formation, you probably want to have your better blocking guy fullback. Me personally, I've always envisioned having Havili as a part of that Spider Y Banana play, even before we got him, because he's a really good receiving fullback.

Either way, we ought to have lots of options between those third and fourth tight end spots and the fullback spot. Good problem to have. Like I said earlier, I think Cunningham is a really good weapon to have for situational packages. He has all the tools. If he'd been featured a little bit more, or if he were two or three inches taller, no way he'd have been a 7th rounder.

Why in the world do you think he has a stronger locker-room presence?  Were you in the locker room?  I mean how would you even know that?  It's statements like this that make me disregard everything in the post, which might be somewhat correct. 

I could be wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that Justice was a team captain at South Carolina and considered one of the leaders of his team.

The draft is one of the strong areas of interest for me.   I follow it much more closely than most here.   It's just a nugget a stumbled upon.    I'll see if I can find it.   But, I'm on so many different websites that I'm not sure I'll be able to.   But I'll try.

Welcome to the website.

Follow-up....   a quick internet search took me to the South Carolina website...

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/cunningham_justice00.html

First sentence references him as the team captain.

I've got a draft guide from Pro Football Weekly which noted his very good personal character.  

Didn't find the site that referenced him being good in the locker-room, but I saw that somewhere.

Hope that clarifies things for you....