Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ominous For Ben Ijalana? (merge)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO , no more "ominous" than when Thornton was drafted. I would think Ijalana was and is being viewed as a "wildcat" type as far as contributing to the O line. You have a guy that never has proved to be an NFL starter that has had two major knee surgeries the last 2 years. To "figure" anything from him would not be sound management. If he makes the team as a back up , I think would be a huge plus for the Colts as he seems to be suited to back up at both left and right tackle and guard.

IMO , no more "ominous" than when Thornton was drafted. I would think Ijalana was and is being viewed as a "wildcat" type as far as contributing to the O line. You have a guy that never has proved to be an NFL starter that has had two major knee surgeries the last 2 years. To "figure" anything from him would not be sound management. If he makes the team as a back up , I think would be a huge plus for the Colts as he seems to be suited to back up at both left and right tackle and guard.

Yeah, at this point I just want him to make the team. It would be a huge bonus if he turned into the player we expected when we drafted him.

Still rooting for Ijalana I see........

Might as well give it up. Don't rot for him, that way if he does make it somehow...... it's a Bonus & you save yourself the disappointment if he doesn't make it

Looks like someone's apple juice is half empty over there.

well they say, a optimist sees a glass half full, a pessimist sees a glass half empty, a realist just sees a glass of water, and a opportunist takes the glass and drinks it while the other three argue.

What does Chuck Norris do in that situation?

Having a healthy Ijalana would be huge, but not anything we can count on...

I was looking at his college tape and he is a beast.. (albeit against subpar competition) His tape makes Thornton (who also played OT) look like a bum in comparison... I'm not saying that Thornton is a bum... he will probably be a very good NFL guard, but (before injury) Ijalana was a special prospect; a real bookend Tackle who many thought would be our LT, leaving Castonzo at RT....

It is his ridiculous potential that makes it hard to let go of the hope that he can make it back... The fact that we are thin at OT and have unproven guys at the guard positions make it even more pressing.

I'm with TK w/ regard to expectations for his return to competitiveness. There are more questions than answers on this front. However, if Ben I. can defy the odds and return to full strength, it could be a mammoth boost to our O-Line... he might have bad knees, but he has practically zero NFL miles on his body. I like his chances to make the roster (if healthy) more than guys like McGlynn and Cleary... 

I was a big fan of the Ijalana pick, so it may be more difficult for me to accept the truth. I certainly don't want Pagano and Pep to rely on his return for any reason, but I do wonder what their expectations are for him.....

Tweet from Kevin Bowen:

Just some comments regarding the rookies or does it have bigger implications?

The thing with Ijalana is that he can play both tackle spots, and probably better than Thornton and probably better than any other backup, while also being able to play inside as well. If he's healthy, he can be VERY valuable depth.

Might as well give it up. Don't rot for him, that way if he does make it somehow...... it's a Bonus & you save yourself the disappointment if he doesn't make it

Why would you not root for the guy to finally make a meaningful contribution to the team? Those rooting for him I am certain are not expecting him to come out and turn into a pro bowl type player. Instead hoping he becomes at best a competent pro after spending his entire career to this point injured. If he does nothing more than provide cheap depth for the team it is a win for the Colts. They are no doubt expecting nothing from him so to get any type of production is a win for both. Though to this point if the injuries have robbed him of any chance of being productive I don't think you will find anyone who is surprised by it at this point. So that disappointment just won't be there because to this point even if you root for him you expect it. 

The thing with Ijalana is that he can play both tackle spots, and probably better than Thornton and probably better than any other backup, while also being able to play inside as well. If he's healthy, he can be VERY valuable depth.

Yep.  That's what we're all waiting to find out.  

We really won't know for sure until the preseason.  I doubt we'll learn much at the mini's, when they're in shorts and just running through the plays.  Unless, of course, he's so immobile that it's noticeable.

I think its just a matter of time before he is released, Cant stay healthy

I hope you're wrong... but I fear you may be correct.

It's always a shame when a player who has great talent, and (from what I understand) a great attitude, has a career ending injury.  

Like most of us have been saying, if he makes the team - it's a bonus.  If not, well, at least we're better prepared this season.

I have no idea how this coaching staff views Ijalana.  I assume they saw him as an OG last year, since that was how he was listed on the roster post-draft.  This year, the guard spot is getting crowded [Thomas, Reitz, Thornton, McGlynn, Anderson, and Holmes (who Grigson said could play some guard)].  The tackle spot is way thinner [Costanzo, Cherilus, Linkenbach, Ziemba, Cleary, Sowell, and maybe Anderson (who played some RT in college and has the right size and shape)].  However, I agree with the notion Ijalana will be brought to camp and given a chance, but it would be a miracle if he made the team.  Way too much milage on those knees already...

I think its just a matter of time before he is released, Cant stay healthy

I think he's where Collie is. . . if he can stay healthy and play this season a good amount he may get another shot.  But if he ends up on IR again, he's probably done.  I think his contract is running out so they probably just would not re-sign him next season.

Hmm, don't "rot" for him!  Apple juice into cider? Wine?  Whine?

All kidding aside, if Ijalana makes the roster the line will be juiced!

I think he's where Collie is. . . if he can stay healthy and play this season a good amount he may get another shot.  But if he ends up on IR again, he's probably done.  I think his contract is running out so they probably just would not re-sign him next season.

Agreed.

And if he does stay healthy i can see him being the back up at RG. Better than Mcglynn imo

I can see the OL looking like this with starters and Back ups (presuming you have 1 backup per position)

LT- Costanzo           Cleary

LG- Thomas            Reitz

C- Satele              Holmes (probably replace him midway)

RG- Thornton         Ijalana

RT- Cherilus          Sowell

Not strong depth on T's but hopefully they won't have to use them.

Agreed.

And if he does stay healthy i can see him being the back up at RG. Better than Mcglynn imo

I can see the OL looking like this with starters and Back ups (presuming you have 1 backup per position)

LT- Costanzo           Cleary

LG- Thomas            Reitz

C- Satele              Holmes (probably replace him midway)

RG- Thornton         Ijalana

RT- Cherilus          Sowell

Not strong depth on T's but hopefully they won't have to use them.

Which is why I don't understand why we havn't put out an offer to Winston Justice to come back and play backup.  He's better then the backups we currently have, he's still a FA, and at this point you would think he would take a small contract over not playing at all this year. 

Which is why I don't understand why we havn't put out an offer to Winston Justice to come back and play backup.  He's better then the backups we currently have, he's still a FA, and at this point you would think he would take a small contract over not playing at all this year. 

Yeah it makes perfect sense. Don't think many people would make a move for him at this stage. Plus he didn't do that bad last year, not as bad as some people on the O Line. Plus like you said at this stage he wont get a big contract or wont be asking for a big contract you would think.

If that does happen and we get Justice back i kind of like Cleary to be on the oposite side. Seems like the GM has a thing for OT's from Boston College.

It's best to think Ijalana as a UDFA coming in this offseason- there's potential there, but the odds aren't in his favor and anything he can contribute to the team will be a welcome bonus.

I'm rooting for him to bounce back from the injuries, but I can't count on it happening.

Yeah it makes perfect sense. Don't think many people would make a move for him at this stage. Plus he didn't do that bad last year, not as bad as some people on the O Line. Plus like you said at this stage he wont get a big contract or wont be asking for a big contract you would think.

If that does happen and we get Justice back i kind of like Cleary to be on the oposite side. Seems like the GM has a thing for OT's from Boston College.

Yeah, Cherilus is clearly an upgrade, but Justice was far from being the problem on the O-line last year.  And we where a lot worse when he was injured then when he was in the game.

Yeah, Cherilus is clearly an upgrade, but Justice was far from being the problem on the O-line last year.  And we where a lot worse when he was injured then when he was in the game.

Oh yeah it was the interior which was the problem for sure, and we seem to have tackled that or made the problem a lot worse.

And yeah you're right we were worse when he was injured but thats only because of those beneath him in the depth chart who were awful eg. Sowell.

Just had a thought. I had a look on his wikipedia page, i know its not the best source in the world. But it says he played at LT and was protected as a RT. I'm just thinking that provided he stays healthy he will be a back up OT given that it was his previous position and there is little competition there.

Probably stands a good chance to get on the the team IF he stays healthy.

Just had a thought. I had a look on his wikipedia page, i know its not the best source in the world. But it says he played at LT and was protected as a RT. I'm just thinking that provided he stays healthy he will be a back up OT given that it was his previous position and there is little competition there.

Probably stands a good chance to get on the the team IF he stays healthy.

He was a left tackle at Villanova. If he's healthy, he'll be a solid option, because I think he can play either tackle spot and either guard spot. I'd view him as a better Jeff Linkenbach.

However, there were rumors during camp last year that the coaching staff wasn't that high on him, then he got hurt. I don't know whether the rumors were legitimate, especially considering the fact that the team put him on IR rather than just cutting ties entirely. But Grigson referred to him as a big question mark a few weeks ago, so he's not exactly at the top of anyone's list. Would be a shame to lose a 2nd rounder mostly because of injuries.

He was a left tackle at Villanova. If he's healthy, he'll be a solid option, because I think he can play either tackle spot and either guard spot. I'd view him as a better Jeff Linkenbach.

However, there were rumors during camp last year that the coaching staff wasn't that high on him, then he got hurt. I don't know whether the rumors were legitimate, especially considering the fact that the team put him on IR rather than just cutting ties entirely. But Grigson referred to him as a big question mark a few weeks ago, so he's not exactly at the top of anyone's list. Would be a shame to lose a 2nd rounder mostly because of injuries.

I have to believe he was horrible in camp (allegedly) because he was hurt. When he actually played in 11, he did pretty well. Hard to believe he dropped off that much unless there was an injury involved, like he never fully recovered from the previous year.

I think we'll know early on if he can still play.

Let's say Thomas and Thornton are the starters at guard.

How do you see the depth along the rest of the line?

Obviously Holmes and Satele are your centers. No idea on who will start yet.

You have maybe Sowell and Linkenbach as backup tackles?

Then some combination of Ijalana/McGlynn/Reitz at guard?

Again, not all of these guys will be on the 53-man roster strictly from a numbers standpoint but definitely some more depth up front compared to last year.

I have to believe he was horrible in camp (allegedly) because he was hurt. When he actually played in 11, he did pretty well. Hard to believe he dropped off that much unless there was an injury involved, like he never fully recovered from the previous year.

I think we'll know early on if he can still play.

I just hope he doesn't have to open camp on PUP.

Again, not all of these guys will be on the 53-man roster strictly from a numbers standpoint but definitely some more depth up front compared to last year.

Not a fan of McGlynn hope he is gone!!

KB!

You'd know better than we do, right?

Let's say Satele gets the starting job at center, I'd say the reserves would be Holmes, Linkenbach, Reitz, and if Ijalana is healthy, he gets the last spot. If not, it's McGlynn probably.

Satele starts because of contract and familiarity with Luck.

Oh goodness, Link and Sowell as the back-ups? That spells some trouble if either goes down, what happened to Justin Anderson?

We have a lot of guard help, which is good, but we need a more viable back-up for Castonzo or Cherlius if one goes down.

Satele starts because of contract and familiarity with Luck.

Oh goodness, Link and Sowell as the back-ups? That spells some trouble if either goes down, what happened to Justin Anderson?

We have a lot of guard help, which is good, but we need a more viable back-up for Castonzo or Cherlius if one goes down.

Wasn't he on the PUP last year?