2.Cherilus

3.Satele

4.Holmes

5.Mcglynn

6.Thomas

7.Reitz

8.Thornton

9.Linkenbach

10.Cleary(He has the ability but can ge get the playbook down?)

Quite a bit of those have experience playing multiple positions even if they werent real good at them, such as Link at RT

Yes, signed on the practice squad in November.

I think he can be the back-up for Cherilus and Sowell as Castonzo's back up.

I've never seen anything in print or heard anything that would even hint that Anderson could play tackle. His major short comings are , again just what I've read , is a lack of good feet and mobility. That certainly wouldn't project him to OT. Are you just pulling this out of your ...... or have you read or heard that he could play T ?

I think the following O Linemen make the cuts

1.Castonzo

2.Cherilus

3.Satele

4.Holmes

5.Mcglynn

6.Thomas

7.Reitz

8.Thornton

9.Linkenbach

Quite a bit of those have experience playing multiple positions even if they werent real good at them, such as Link at RT

You think we're going to carry 10 OL on the 53 man roster?

Not me.    I think Cleary's chance is on the practice squad.     Otherwise, I suspect we carry 9.

You think we're going to carry 10 OL on the 53 man roster?

Not me.    I think Cleary's chance is on the practice squad.     Otherwise, I suspect we carry 9.

good point about the PS, I forgot about that, I could see 9, I like Cleary's chances based on what I saw

good point about the PS, I forgot about that, I could see 9, I like Cleary's chances based on what I saw

I only raised the point because over the last few weeks there have been threads about various positions, and we see various opinions about how many players at certain positions....

10 OL

7-8 DL

10  LB

10 CB/S

4  TE

4-5 RB

5-6 WR

And so on....    some of these predictions will be right.   But most will be wrong.   The 53 man limit is hard and fast.   So at some point, it's a numbers crunch.   And some of these players will have to be stored on the PS.   Otherwise,  they're going to end up on the rosters of other NFL teams.

Pagano said as much right after the draft....   his comment was roughly.... "we've got a lot of players who will be on an NFL roster,  but at this point we don't know which roster yet..."    Something like that.   We'll have more talent than a 53 man roster can hold.    

I hate losing talented players...  but these guys need a chance to play....  if not for the Colts,  then for some NFL team...

Just sayin....

I've never seen anything in print or heard anything that would even hint that Anderson could play tackle. His major short comings are , again just what I've read , is a lack of good feet and mobility. That certainly wouldn't project him to OT. Are you just pulling this out of your ...... or have you read or heard that he could play T ?

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/georgia-bulldogs/2011-08-22/story/georgia-tackle-justin-anderson-aims-make-most

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/justin-anderson?id=2533441

Both articles point to him playing RT because of his good size and he helped block for a Georgia line that did well in the SEC. I am not saying starter material, but a nice back-up at RT.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/georgia-bulldogs/2011-08-22/story/georgia-tackle-justin-anderson-aims-make-most

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/justin-anderson?id=2533441

Both articles point to him playing RT because of his good size and he helped block for a Georgia line that did well in the SEC. I am not saying starter material, but a nice back-up at RT.

The scouting report for sure makes the jump. The one from the end of his junior year in college , I don't think so. He was being moved from DT to OT that year. He had no college experience at T going into that year. So I give you an A+ on the one and a D on the other for trying to trick me into thinking the one from college had anything to do with him being able to play T at the pro level. But I'm going to say that you gave me a small beating on what I inferred.

That said , do I think a 7th rounder that was projected and drafted to be a guard can be a good back up at RT ? Probably has an outside chance at being the last OL kept and I think he would be a back up at guard. But we shall see.....

1.Castonzo

2.Cherilus

3.Satele

4.Holmes

5.Mcglynn

6.Thomas

7.Reitz

8.Thornton

9.Linkenbach

Is that in any order?

If so do you really think Mcglynn has less chance of getting cut than Thomas or Thornton?

Is that in any order?

If so do you really think Mcglynn has less chance of getting cut than Thomas or Thornton?

No order at all, Just who I think survives cuts based on versatily, health (or lack of) and perceived talent or lack there of

No order at all, Just who I think survives cuts based on versatily, health (or lack of) and perceived talent or lack there of

Oh right haha, yeah i can agree with you there. Just thought you were saying that was your list 1 being the most important and can't be cut and 10 having the least chance of making the team.

It's definitely an improvement over last year, if Ijalana was healthy last year he would probably have been a starter imo now i think he'd be lucky to make the final roster.

I don't know if this tells us very much about Ijalana at all.  It tells me that they really like Thornton and since he was their second draft pick that's a good thing.  Beyond that I think people are really reading into things about Ijalana and speculating about things that might or might not be true.  Ijalana has not been a guard at any point in his college or NFL career.  He's been a tackle and while he could be moved to guard the Colts have not done that yet at least on the field.  Frankly for a guy coming off two major knee injuries a position change is probably the last thing he needs and the Colts wouldn't have released him last year (even knowing there was a good chance they could get him back) if they weren't prepared to live without him.  If Ijalana makes the Colts roster it will likely be as a back up at this point. 

I don't know if this tells us very much about Ijalana at all.  It tells me that they really like Thornton and since he was their second draft pick that's a good thing.  Beyond that I think people are really reading into things about Ijalana and speculating about things that might or might not be true.  Ijalana has not been a guard at any point in his college or NFL career.  He's been a tackle and while he could be moved to guard the Colts have not done that yet at least on the field.  Frankly for a guy coming off two major knee injuries a position change is probably the last thing he needs and the Colts wouldn't have released him last year (even knowing there was a good chance they could get him back) if they weren't prepared to live without him.  If Ijalana makes the Colts roster it will likely be as a back up at this point. 

I agree with your points; not sure this has anything to do with Ijalana, beyond the fact that he hasn't proven himself on the field yet.

However, the Colts have changed Ijalana to guard on the website, and while he'll probably be a swing backup, his best shot of cracking the lineup is as a guard. He was also projected as a guard before he was drafted, partly because of his body type, but mostly because of his footwork. So it makes sense for us to peg him as a guard at this point.

BI has to get on the field and show Indy he can practice at some point.    I have no idea how long Indy is giving him but I am sure patience is wearing thin.     

If BI is not practicing by TC I think he will be gone.

1.Castonzo

2.Cherilus

3.Satele

4.Holmes

5.Mcglynn

6.Thomas

7.Reitz

8.Thornton

9.Linkenbach

Of the 9 we will keep, I like the chances of Sowell, Ijalana and possibly even Anderson to make the team before McGlynn.  We are going to need 1 more backup tackle than you have on your list, and Grigson has been high on Sowell in the past.  If Ijalana and Anderson make progress this off-season then Link is very vulnerable as the 9th lineman on the roster also.

Of the 9 we will keep, I like the chances of Sowell, Ijalana and possibly even Anderson to make the team before McGlynn.  We are going to need 1 more backup tackle than you have on your list, and Grigson has been high on Sowell in the past.  If Ijalana and Anderson make progress this off-season then Link is very vulnerable as the 9th lineman on the roster also.

I think Mcglynn has the edge do to his versatility and ability to stay healthy, I also know it was last year but until I see otherwise I am curious as to see if Anderson is in better shape then he was last year, (I saw him do laps at TC last year at the opposite end of the field in the end zone during practices trying to get in shape and he repeatedly dropped down to either 1 or both knees do to exhaustion), Now that was last year but add that to the fact that he was a late round pick anyway and I think he is on the outside looking in even if he comes into camp in better shape, Hopefully for him he can get a grasp of the playbook fairly quickly, that would work in his favor. As to Ijalana, same thing except he wasn't doing any laps at TC last year...Both are on the outside looking in in my opinion

I agree with your points; not sure this has anything to do with Ijalana, beyond the fact that he hasn't proven himself on the field yet.

However, the Colts have changed Ijalana to guard on the website, and while he'll probably be a swing backup, his best shot of cracking the lineup is as a guard. He was also projected as a guard before he was drafted, partly because of his body type, but mostly because of his footwork. So it makes sense for us to peg him as a guard at this point.

Like I said in my post there is nothing to suggest that Ijalana couldn't be moved to guard.  However, it has become a major myth over the years here that he has been a guard in the past and was drafted to be a guard here.  He hasn't been to the point in his career nor was he in college and Polian made it clear when they drafted him he wanted him to be a tackle.  Now does that mean he can't become a guard?  Clearly not and like you pointed out it looks like that's how the Colts are going to use him now.  However, people act like he's a sure thing at guard and frankly he's a major unknown at guard.  Again, nothing wrong with the Colts moving him there and giving him a shot but frankly after two major knee injuries I think he's going to be a long shot to make the roster.  I really doubt after pretty much not playing for two years that he's the same player he was when we drafted him and on top of that when we drafted him people said he was going to need some work to grow into the player he could be.  He hasn't had a chance to get that work so he's really behind the eight ball.  With that said I would love to be wrong and have Ijalana be a superstar player for us for years to come and I'll be pulling for him.  Who doesn't love a comeback story?

Here's the thing I don't think the Colts think McGlynn is nearly as bad as some fans want him to be.  Don't get me wrong I don't think McGlynn is the answer to any of our prayers and I think he could very well end up cut before it's all said and done but I am not going to be shocked at all if he makes the final roster either.  Honestly, the biggest thing in McGlynn's favor is that he can play center and guard and on top of that I forget what game it was last year, maybe the Lions game, the coaches said they were an injury away from maybe playing him at tackle.  I don't think he would ever be part of a rotation at tackle per say but if you truly needed him to he could play any spot on the line which is exactly what you want in a back up lineman which is what he would be. 

Being able to play multiple positions on the line will help a guy like Link as well.  The question becomes can guys like Anderson, Sowell, and Reitz play tackle or guard if needed too?  If not that might very well hurt their chances in making the final roster. 

I think Mcglynn has the edge do to his versatility and ability to stay healthy, I also know it was last year but until I see otherwise I am curious as to see if Anderson is in better shape then he was last year, (I saw him do laps at TC last year at the opposite end of the field in the end zone during practices trying to get in shape and he repeatedly dropped down to either 1 or both knees do to exhaustion), Now that was last year but add that to the fact that he was a late round pick anyway and I think he is on the outside looking in even if he comes into camp in better shape, Hopefully for him he can get a grasp of the playbook fairly quickly, that would work in his favor. As to Ijalana, same thing except he wasn't doing any laps at TC last year...Both are on the outside looking in in my opinion

McGlynn's versatility value means a lot less now than last year.  Last year we didn't carry a backup center on the original 53 and McGlynn was it until Shipley was brought back.  That won't be the case this year.  You might be right about Ijalana and Anderson.  If so, then McGlynn is in the fight, but I still think he finishes behind Link, Reitz and Sowell for a roster spot.  Those are the next 3 after the secure 6 (Castonzo, Thomas, Satele, Thornton, Cherilus, Holmes)

Here's the thing I don't think the Colts think McGlynn is nearly as bad as some fans want him to be.  Don't get me wrong I don't think McGlynn is the answer to any of our prayers and I think he could very well end up cut before it's all said and done but I am not going to be shocked at all if he makes the final roster either.  Honestly, the biggest thing in McGlynn's favor is that he can play center and guard and on top of that I forget what game it was last year, maybe the Lions game, the coaches said they were an injury away from maybe playing him at tackle.  I don't think he would ever be part of a rotation at tackle per say but if you truly needed him to he could play any spot on the line which is exactly what you want in a back up lineman which is what he would be. 

Being able to play multiple positions on the line will help a guy like Link as well.  The question becomes can guys like Anderson, Sowell, and Reitz play tackle or guard if needed too?  If not that might very well hurt their chances in making the final roster. 

Maybe so - all valid and well written thoughts.  As I wrote in reply to Gavin above, I think it breaks in a way that others leap frog McGlynn, but you make a strong case for residual value.  I think Holmes cuts his value in half though and that he'll lose his roster spot to a player better suited to backup at Tackle. Our interior OL numbers are better than Tackles.  Reitz, Holmes and Link can certainly back up any OG spot (as could McGlynn).  Link is a valid backup at Tackle but not ideal as we all know - so if Sowell is cut and Ijalana isn't healthy, who are we grooming as a swing tackle backup? Unfortunately for McGlynn, answering that question likely leads him to the waiver wire.

Maybe so - all valid and well written thoughts.  As I wrote in reply to Gavin above, I think it breaks in a way that others leap frog McGlynn, but you make a strong case for residual value.  I think Holmes cuts his value in half though and that he'll lose his roster spot to a player better suited to backup at Tackle. Our interior OL numbers are better than Tackles.  Reitz, Holmes and Link can certainly back up any OG spot (as could McGlynn).  Link is a valid backup at Tackle but not ideal as we all know - so if Sowell is cut and Ijalana isn't healthy, who are we grooming as a swing tackle backup? Unfortunately for McGlynn, answering that question likely leads him to the waiver wire.

You think Holmes loses his roster spot before he even takes a snap in a game? I think Im not understanding what your saying there or was that a typo? I'd be shocked I think if Sowell survived the Cuts, He dont seem to move his feet well at all with any consistency

You think Holmes loses his roster spot before he even takes a snap in a game? I think Im not understanding what your saying there or was that a typo? I'd be shocked I think if Sowell survived the Cuts, He dont seem to move his feet well at all with any consistency

Nah - you misunderstood what I wrote.  Holmes makes McGlynn's versatility less valuable (ie. cuts it in half).  As for Sowell, he isn't a premier athlete for the position, but someone is going to have to be the swing tackle for this team and he and Link are the only real candidates for it right now unless Ijalana returns to form.  Maybe Cleary earns a spot, but he's just another UDFA that has never made a roster until proven otherwise.  Unless we add another vet tackle, Sowell and Link look like they are probable to earn a roster spot due to tackle numbers alone.

Anderson was practicing at RT with the 2nd unit in some of the pics...it seems that they are trying him at that position...and it WAS his position in college.

Nah - you misunderstood what I wrote.  Holmes makes McGlynn's versatility less valuable (ie. cuts it in half).  As for Sowell, he isn't a premier athlete for the position, but someone is going to have to be the swing tackle for this team and he and Link are the only real candidates for it right now unless Ijalana returns to form.  Maybe Cleary earns a spot, but he's just another UDFA that has never made a roster until proven otherwise.  Unless we add another vet tackle, Sowell and Link look like they are probable to earn a roster spot due to tackle numbers alone.

I think Mcglynn has the potential at Tackle to be honest, watch some of his aglity as our Pulling Guard last year, he moves fairly well, Stops moving his feet at time however but I think he can play RT, The scouting report at NFL.com seems to back up my theory

Like I said in my post there is nothing to suggest that Ijalana couldn't be moved to guard.  However, it has become a major myth over the years here that he has been a guard in the past and was drafted to be a guard here.  He hasn't been to the point in his career nor was he in college and Polian made it clear when they drafted him he wanted him to be a tackle.  Now does that mean he can't become a guard?  Clearly not and like you pointed out it looks like that's how the Colts are going to use him now.  However, people act like he's a sure thing at guard and frankly he's a major unknown at guard.  Again, nothing wrong with the Colts moving him there and giving him a shot but frankly after two major knee injuries I think he's going to be a long shot to make the roster.  I really doubt after pretty much not playing for two years that he's the same player he was when we drafted him and on top of that when we drafted him people said he was going to need some work to grow into the player he could be.  He hasn't had a chance to get that work so he's really behind the eight ball.  With that said I would love to be wrong and have Ijalana be a superstar player for us for years to come and I'll be pulling for him.  Who doesn't love a comeback story?

Polian did say they drafted Ijalana to be a tackle, and that makes sense. It's all he played in college. But it seems like the new regime views him as a guard, and that's what he was projected to play coming out in the draft. That's all I'm saying. We're calling him a guard because he looks, smells, moves (when healthy) like a guard, and the current staff has identified him as a guard prospect. Just because Polian had him pegged as a tackle doesn't mean that's his best position in the NFL; we saw how they mismanaged Jerry Hughes, in opposition to the way he was projected coming out. It happens.

Again, if he makes the roster, he'll probably be a swing backup like Linkenbach (hopefully better), so the titles don't really matter. A rose by any other name, and all that. Not a big deal. But his biggest impact, assuming his health and the health of the rest of the line (particularly Costanzo and Cherilus), will probably have to come at guard.

JMO. We're saying a lot of the same things.

Polian did say they drafted Ijalana to be a tackle, and that makes sense. It's all he played in college. But it seems like the new regime views him as a guard, and that's what he was projected to play coming out in the draft. That's all I'm saying. We're calling him a guard because he looks, smells, moves (when healthy) like a guard, and the current staff has identified him as a guard prospect. Just because Polian had him pegged as a tackle doesn't mean that's his best position in the NFL; we saw how they mismanaged Jerry Hughes, in opposition to the way he was projected coming out. It happens.

Again, if he makes the roster, he'll probably be a swing backup like Linkenbach (hopefully better), so the titles don't really matter. A rose by any other name, and all that. Not a big deal. But his biggest impact, assuming his health and the health of the rest of the line (particularly Costanzo and Cherilus), will probably have to come at guard.

I have also always viewed Mcglynn as a Right Tackle, look at how well he usually moves when asked to Pull, plus he was a RT the majority of his college career at Pitt

I have also always viewed Mcglynn as a Right Tackle, look at how well he usually moves when asked to Pull, plus he was a RT the majority of his college career at Pitt

He does move pretty well as a pulling guard (so did Mike Pollak, by the way), but I don't think he has the ability to play tackle. He has virtually no kick step, for starters, and that leads to other issues in protection. He's not even technical enough to play guard at a decent level. I think moving him to tackle would be a nightmare.

I think Mcglynn has the potential at Tackle to be honest, watch some of his aglity as our Pulling Guard last year, he moves fairly well, Stops moving his feet at time however but I think he can play RT, The scouting report at NFL.com seems to back up my theory

Fair enough opinion, but seems like a reach.  There are plenty of Tackles out of work that would be tried at Tackle before McGlynn.  McGlynn was an ineffective run blocker and beaten routinely by interior rushers.  Doesn't bode well for blocking edge rushers.  I love McGlynn - he was an important part of a special team, but he won't be around for the next special team that is forming.

Close enough to make the cut.

Just curious....

But what makes you think that Grigson is closer to Mike McGlynn than he is any other OL on the roster.    I believe Grigson has brought in every single OL on the roster except Castanzo and Ijalana.    So, if the choice is McGlynn over most any other guy, the choice is still between a Grigson guy and a Grigson guy.

When you were responding to another poster,  the three players in question where McGlynn and Thomas and Thornton.  All of them are Grigson guys.   Why would Grigson be more loyal to McGlynn than Thomas (who he just gave a good contract to) or Thornton (who was his 2nd player picked in the draft)....    Sorry,  but I'm not following...

What am I not understanding about your view here?

Right like I said I don't really have an issue with him moving to guard now.  My main point has to do with the myth that has developed that he is proven at guard.  He's pretty much an unknown at guard.  With that said that doesn't mean he can't make the move and as you have pointed out and I am not debating the Colts are making that move with him.  Frankly if he can make that move and he can play any position on the o-line other than center that will probably help his chances of making the final roster.  With that said, I just don't see how he can still be the same player he was two years when we drafted him after the two knee injuries, yet some, not you per say, talk about him like he is.  There are just a lot of myths out there when it comes Ijalana or more realistically people seeing and remembering what they want to remember about him.  Honestly we haven't seen him on the field enough to form any kind of real informed opinion about him as fans IMO.  Add into that the two major injuries and him being viewed as a little bit of a project coming out of college and I think it's going to be an uphill battle for him to just make the final roster let alone be a starter like some have said about him.  With that said I would love to be wrong about him and have him turn out to be a Hall of Fame player. 

He is a buddy of Grigson.

and you know this how? Just because he used to play for the Eagles doesn't mean him and Grigson are friends.  Like I said before are you buddies with your boss at work? Most people are not and in this case this would be more like being like being good friends with your President of the Company.  If you are just an every day worker most people are not friends with the big boss in their building even if they work together. 

and you know this how? Just because he used to play for the Eagles doesn't mean him and Grigson are friends.  Like I said before are you buddies with your boss at work? Most people are not and in this case this would be more like being like being good friends with your President of the Company.  If you are just an every day worker most people are not friends with the big boss in their building even if they work together. 

Just watch the cuts.  When McGlynn makes the team over better-performing players, don't be surprised.

Just watch the cuts.  When McGlynn makes the team over better-performing players, don't be surprised.

Again, how do you know Grigson and McGlynn are buddies? 

I think the real truth is you don't like McGlynn so much that you can't picture anyway he makes the final roster so if he does it MUST be because they are friends because it can't possibly be that you are wrong about McGlynn not being good enough.  Sorry you don't become a GM of a NFL GM team working your way up like Grigson has by just doing your friends favors.  Also I am not sure I am even buying the fact Grigson and McGlynn are buddies.  Till you offer up proof that is the truth I think you are just throwing that out there. 

With that said I don't know if McGlynn will make the final roster of not.  I am not going to be shocked at all if he gets cut.  I am also not going to be shocked if he does make the final roster either.  I do know if he makes the final roster or doesn't make the final roster it's going to because of what he does or doesn't do on the field not because of a friendship with Grigson that may or may not exist. 

I would like to think we can find lineman better than McGlynn but at the sametime I am not sure we have completely changed the o-line from last year that only two of the starters from last year (Castonzo and Satele) make the final roster either.  I am just going to wait and see how it plays out and who can play and who can't play.  I am not going to sit here in May before our rookies have even had a real practice (with pads) and say there is no way a player is good enough to make the final roster and if he does it's only because he's buddies with the GM.  Frankly if you throwing that claim out there you need to provide proof to back your claim up rather than just state as a well known fact when it is anything but.