Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ominous For Ben Ijalana? (merge)

Just watch the cuts.  When McGlynn makes the team over better-performing players, don't be surprised.

Just out of curiosity (again)  but how will this website determine who is a "better performing player"??

Seriously.

When it comes to grading OL, I'm not sure there's a single fan here who has a professional eye.    Not one.

So,  how are we to judge that?    

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity (again)  but how will this website determine who is a "better performing player"??

Seriously.

When it comes to grading OL, I'm not sure there's a single fan here who has a professional eye.    Not one.

So,  how are we to judge that?    

There are plenty of websites out there done by coaches at different levels if one decided to look demonstrating proper techniques of an O Lineman and the different types of blocks, There is even detailed descriptions of of blocking schemes describing using a typical blocking scheme who is supposed to block what.....Its not unlearnable by a fan

There are plenty of websites out there done by coaches at different levels if one decided to look demonstrating proper techniques of an O Lineman and the different types of blocks, There is even detailed descriptions of of blocking schemes describing using a typical blocking scheme who is supposed to block what.....Its not unlearnable by a fan

Ummm....    do you actually read the posts that are made here?

I mean,  have you noticed the number of threads railing against our offensive lineman?

Find me the post that demonstrates people are going to those websites.    It's incredibly rare, and much of the information is Premium so posters don't pay for it.

And most people are not hard-wired to fully grasp it as well.    Coaches take years and years learning this stuff and you make it sound like there's a crash course to be learned over a long weekend.  

Come on now....

I mean,  have you noticed the number of threads railing against our offensive lineman?

Find me the post that demonstrates people are going to those websites.    It's incredibly rare, and much of the information is Premium so posters don't pay for it.

And most people are not hard-wired to fully grasp it as well.    Coaches take years and years learning this stuff and you make it sound like there's a crash course to be learned over a long weekend.  

Come on now....

Of course I dont expect many visit those websites and wont take time to learn.......But some try....such as myself, Im not always in depth but I like to think I can spot certain things now that I couldn't before or that I know more about what to look for at least a little more then before , Not that I can read or remember everything I saw because Im a repition kinda guy when it comes to alot of info to take it

Come on now....

Wait posters don't know more than the coaches and GMs running the team just because they have spent years playing Madden?  Man I wasted a lot of money on Madden games over the years then...

That was said in sarcasm just for the record I agree with what you said. 

Wait posters don't know more than the coaches and GMs running the team just because they have spent years playing Madden?  Man I wasted a lot of money on Madden games over the years then...

That was said in sarcasm just for the record I agree with what you said. 

Im not sure what Madden really has to do with coaches and otherwise players and personel involved with football putting up sites and information dedicated to learning about the game. and again some people act like you cant understand certain in depth intricacies of the game unless your strictly a coach or a player

Im not sure what Madden really has to do with coaches and otherwise players and personel involved with football putting up sites and information dedicated to learning about the game. and again some people act like you cant understand certain in depth intricacies of the game unless your strictly a coach or a player

Okay I am the first person to say humor doesn't always translate well to message boards but when I say that was said in sarcasm at the end of my post that's a sign you shouldn't take the whole thing serious. 

Honestly the main point I was backing up New Colts fan is that frankly the posters on this forum as not as well informed as the people who run the team.  Despite what some posters think about themselves.  That doesn't mean we don't have some extremely well informed posters we do, however the Coaches and the GM are still in a better position to make calls than we are.  They see these players a lot more than we do as fans and as New Colts Fan pointed pout they spend their lives studying this stuff and it's their job not just a hobby to study this stuff and get it right.  Do they always get it right?  Clearly not, however I think if we went back and tracked their moves with the would be GMs of the message board world would make vs. the real coaches and GM you would see the real coaches and GMs are right a lot more than the would be GMs on a message board.  There is no magic formula out there that is going to tell you everything about every player in the league that you can point to and say we are going to use that to grade them.  If there was being a GM and a Coach wouldn't be hard at all.  A lot of it is frankly gut feel based on what you know about the guy by being around him and what you believe makes a good football and if that guy has those tools or not.  Those are not going to show up on someone's ranking system on the internet and is something that frankly we as fans don't have enough information about these guys to figure out.  Yes anyone can look at Andrew Luck and go dude is going to be fine.  However, when you making that last cut and maybe deciding between a McGlynn and Reitz (just names I am picking out of a hat) it gets a lot more complicated.  Also the other thing that GMs and Coaches are MUCH better at doing than people on a message board is taking their personal feelings out of it.  Earlier this thread was a shining example of that when someone admitted to the fact they just don't McGlynn.  Based on that I don't think it matters what McGlynn does that person wouldn't keep him. 

It's sorta like the journalist decision that was going on in another thread.  Just because I might enjoy writing as a hobby and start my own internet blog about something enjoy like say the Colts doesn't automatically make me a journalist just because I think I am one.  People who are real journalist have spent years learning how to be one and practicing the craft.  Samething here.  Just because one might enjoy learning about the NFL and ins and outs of it doesn't mean they are as qualified or smarter than the Coaches and GMs who run the team who have spent their lives doing that. 

I threw the Madden line in there because it's maybe the ultimate example of how the game of football is simplified as a way to add to my sarcasm. 

• 2 weeks later...

He was listed as a non participant the first few days, but wasn't on that list the past few. So Im guessing he has practicing the last few days. I hope he can get it together and make the team, but would be really shocked if not cut during training camp.

I think he's a long shot to make the team at this point.  Don't get me wrong I would love for him to make it and have him be the player we thought we drafted all those years ago but he was seen as some what of a project when he was drafted and that was before missing most of two years due to knee injuries. 

Ijalana tore the same acl last August. The team brought him back too early. Seems like he should be placed on pup and tested in October. If in October he is not ready then let him heal until otas and minicamp in 2014. If he is not healthy in 2014 then cut him.

Ijalana tore the same acl last August. The team brought him back too early. Seems like he should be placed on pup and tested in October. If in October he is not ready then let him heal until otas and minicamp in 2014. If he is not healthy in 2014 then cut him.

Or..... we cut him this year. No need in hoarding players.

If that's the case, might as well re-sign Collie and let him heal for an entire season. And add Bob Sanders to that list as well

And how do you know he was brought back too early?

Who cares. This is a business - like a relationship - you gotta be there & participate for it to work. He knows he is rapidly approaching the point of no return so im sure he & his camp are doing the best they can to stay relevent. If he was close to coming back I feel at least his agent would be letting the media know.

But thats not my concern - Im a fan of the team success & fully support the players that make that possible so at this point I look at B Ijalana as he's in the way. Either of the next man up or a roster slot.

We got what 37 players to cut?

We got 99 problems but an OG aint 1.