Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

8 receivers on contract....

NDcolt

Out of the following receivers under contract who stays?  Wayne, TY, Brazil, DHB, Sambrano, Whalen, Palmer, Kelley?  Only 6 will make the 53 man roster.  Sorry for all those thinking were gonna draft a receiver early!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the following receivers under contract who stays?  Wayne, TY, Brazil, DHB, Sambrano, Walen, Sambrano, Kelley?  Only 6 will make the 53 man roster.  Sorry for all those thinking were gonna draft a receiver early!

Do we have two Sambranos? I think you missed Palmer...

Either way, the only players that are essentially locks right now are Wayne, Hilton, DHB and Brazil. I like Sambrano and Whalen, but they're on the bubble. Nothing special about Palmer or Kelley, and I think they're long shots to make the roster. Wayne is the only one who can't be bumped down the depth chart.

I don't think our so-called depth at receiver has any bearing on our draft strategy. Then again, I never thought the chances of us taking a receiver in the first round were high anyways.

Out of the following receivers under contract who stays?  Wayne, TY, Brazil, DHB, Sambrano, Walen, Sambrano, Kelley?  Only 6 will make the 53 man roster.  Sorry for all those thinking were gonna draft a receiver early!

Well that's 7, we don't have two people named Sambrano, and of your list, three have never been on an NFL roster and one is a 6th round compensational pick with very limited playtime. Just because we have a lot of them, doesn't mean we can't do better. Arizona had 4 QBs until the other day and still got another one. 

Out of the following receivers under contract who stays?  Wayne, TY, Brazil, DHB, Sambrano, Whalen, Palmer, Kelley?  Only 6 will make the 53 man roster.  Sorry for all those thinking were gonna draft a receiver early!

I'm kinda sick of the we need a WR talk I'm more into the O& D Line with the 24'th  but realize it is a remote possibility when drafting BAP .

A few thoughts on Griff.....

I'm hoping/expecting that he's improved since Stanford.    He'll have to to make the team.

When Whalen was at Stanford he was great against a zone defense.    Find the soft spot,  the whole,  the seam and get there.  He has very, very good hands.

But.....

When he played against good man competition,  his ability to get any real separation was not very good.    He could still make the catch,  but the DB would be all over him.    And sometimes, the DB would knock it down, or make the Int, or Andrew would throw it away because Grigg wasn't open.

So,  he's going to have to get better at the NFL level,  because those Corner's will be much better than what he faced in college.

I'm not ruling him out....   but I'm not all that optimistic either.   He's got to improve and show it when it counts....

A few thoughts on Griff.....

I'm hoping/expecting that he's improved since Stanford.    He'll have to to make the team.

When Whalen was at Stanford he was great against a zone defense.    Find the soft spot,  the whole,  the seam and get there.  He has very, very good hands.

But.....

When he played against good man competition,  his ability to get any real separation was not very good.    He could still make the catch,  but the DB would be all over him.    And sometimes, the DB would knock it down, or make the Int, or Andrew would throw it away because Grigg wasn't open.

So,  he's going to have to get better at the NFL level,  because those Corner's will be much better than what he faced in college.

I'm not ruling him out....   but I'm not all that optimistic either.   He's got to improve and show it when it counts....

I noticed him several times in pre season to come back to the ball and take big hits and hold on.His time with Luck and Pep will give him a big bonus to make the team.I myself liked his play so many times a receiver forgets to help the QB out and come back to the ball when QB is in trouble,and we all know Luck was in trouble alot.So Wayne,TY,DHB,Brazill,Whalen,and possibly Napalm for some reason they thought he had alot in him.

They currently have 6 guards under contract now too.  You don't think that means they won't draft one they think they can help?

WR is absolutely a position they will consider taking this year and early as well. 

Out of the following receivers under contract who stays? Wayne, TY, Brazil, DHB, Sambrano, Whalen, Palmer, Kelley? Only 6 will make the 53 man roster. Sorry for all those thinking were gonna draft a receiver early!

Sambrano, Whalen, Palmer, and Kelley aren't the types that would keep any GM from drafting a WR, it just depends if a WR is BPA when we pick. Those guys are project/practice squad types. I could see Grigson dropping all of those guys ,or most, and draft a potential star at WR.

Wayne (obviously), Hilton, Brazill, Whalen, & 2 others

Were not going to keep 6 WR's IMO. We didn't last yr. in Arians pass happy offense. Pep will actually utilize the TE's much more and we'll run the ball more. We'll keep 5 and stash 1 or 2 on the PS.

Were not going to keep 6 WR's IMO. We didn't last yr. in Arians pass happy offense. Pep will actually utilize the TE's much more and we'll run the ball more. We'll keep 5 and stash 1 or 2 on the PS.

I figured that, I was just answering the OP question haha

I figured that, I was just answering the OP question haha

I posed the question earlier in the thread why anybody thought we would keep 6, but nobody has answered so I figured I would just repeat it to anybody that keeps saying we'll keep 6. :D

I posed the question earlier in the thread why anybody thought we would keep 6, but nobody has answered so I figured I would just repeat it to anybody that keeps saying we'll keep 6. :D

6 is too many imo for a TE heavy offense. And our WR core was one of our healthier spots last year. I'm thinking we carry an extra pass rusher to make that rotation even better

6 is too many imo for a TE heavy offense. And our WR core was one of our healthier spots last year. I'm thinking we carry an extra pass rusher to make that rotation even better

I agree and I see from the couple of posts below yours that it does no good to pose the question because people keep saying we'll keep 6 and we won't, so I guess I'll just give up.

I agree and I see from the couple of posts below yours that it does no good to pose the question because people keep saying we'll keep 6 and we won't, so I guess I'll just give up.

haha don't worry, me & you understand what's really gonna happen lmao

With the signing of DHB I think the draft will go offensive line, defense & maybe running back, I expect the Colts to move forward with the recievers listed above, I think the one year deal with DHB, was a move to get a reciever with huge potential, and it opens the draft up for drafting good players to develop & add depth...

Next years draft is supposed to be a stronger WR class, I assume thats when Colts get a new young WR, & if DHB works out and loses his claw hands, all the better...

but what do I know...

Whalen could be our Steve Largent if he gets a chance.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic to see Whalen succeed... but I'm far less optimistic. I think you might as well claim that Palmer could be our Jerry Rice and Kelley could be our Chris Carter, too.

Whalen has only performed against guys who mostly never had a prayer of playing past late August. Most are probably Subway sandwich artists now. He looked good, but let's please not blow it out of proportion.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic to see Whalen succeed... but I'm far less optimistic. I think you might as well claim that Palmer could be our Jerry Rice and Kelley could be our Chris Carter, too.

Whalen has only performed against guys who mostly never had a prayer of playing past late August. Most are probably Subway sandwich artists now. He looked good, but let's please not blow it out of proportion.

Not necessarily. His best game came against the Pittsburgh Steelers. And the guys who were on the field when he was, most are on the Steelers now

They could still draft one if he is high on their board. We need to start grooming Reggie's replacement.

I know, really. What has Whalen done to get people so excited?