Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

8 receivers on contract....

NDcolt

Only 4 made the 46 game day roster every week anyway

again begging the question unless there is an injury or one is a kick returner why would they keep six this year? There were some years with Manning we only kept four. Wayne, Garçon, Collie, and Gonzo were all we kept in 2009 till Gonzo hot hurt and he was replaced by Baskett. Pretty much from then on we only had four WRs on the roster with Manning not counting guys on IR.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the obvious choices I am rooting for one and one only to do what he has to to make the roster(out of the WRs currently on roster and pending any draft day WR signings)... and that is Jeremy Kelley. If we draft a WR then I will root for him as well no matter what round he is drafted in.

A bold prediction from me at this point in time moving forward will be this:

The Colts will have the new #1 WR on the field this year. Who it is... I don't know... he may not be on the team right now but... he will be our future at WR.

I don't believe Kelly has played any games for us in any ore season we just signed him this year am I right lol I see ppl saying he didn't play much last preseason but wouldn't that be because he wasn't on the team please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong haha

I don't believe Kelly has played any games for us in any ore season we just signed him this year am I right lol I see ppl saying he didn't play much last preseason but wouldn't that be because he wasn't on the team please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong haha

:nutz: ....Im sorry, but yes, i have to.....do this... :deadhorse:.

:ranton: Let's qualify & confirm this whole "keeping or not keeping WR's on the active roster, or team".

If a team signs a player to a future/reserve contract, even if it is just for that season, or whatever the terms are between that player, and that organization, how has he not been kept as a member of the team? If he signed a contract, then he can be made active, for that roster, and be called up to fill in a spot, left open because of injuries suffered by one of the more consistent players. Unless that team decides to sign a veteran free agent, that reserve player, if deemed worthy to fill a void, can actually play that season. So if the future/reserve contract is what the NFL rules say that it is, then HE IS, THEY ARE.... apart of that team, and he is that 6th, 7th, or 8th receiver that we keep dismissing in this conversation, whether he is active at that time, or becomes active when he's called up from the practice squad, or a change is made to the future/reserve contract that allows him to be apart of the active roster. :rantoff:

:nutz: ....Im sorry, but yes, i have to.....do this... :deadhorse:.

:ranton: Let's qualify & confirm this whole "keeping or not keeping WR's on the active roster, or team".

If a team signs a player to a future/reserve contract, even if it is just for that season, or whatever the terms are between that player, and that organization, how has he not been kept as a member of the team? If he signed a contract, then he can be made active, for that roster, and be called up to fill in a spot, left open because of injuries suffered by one of the more consistent players. Unless that team decides to sign a veteran free agent, that reserve player, if deemed worthy to fill a void, can actually play that season. So if the future/reserve contract is what the NFL rules say that it is, then HE IS, THEY ARE.... apart of that team, and he is that 6th, 7th, or 8th receiver that we keep dismissing in this conversation, whether he is active at that time, or becomes active when he's called up from the practice squad, or a change is made to the future/reserve contract that allows him to be apart of the active roster. :rantoff:

I don't really see what you're trying to get at, but like I said earlier in the thread, I don't see anymore than 5 WR's being kept on the active 53 man roster. The OP suggested we'll keep 6 and I just don't see that happening.

If a team signs a player to a future/reserve contract, even if it is just for that season, or whatever the terms are between that player, and that organization, how has he not been kept as a member of the team?

To sign someone to the practice squad, they must first be waived and pass through waivers.

Therefore, anyone on the practice squad has not been "kept", but rather "brought back".

To sign someone to the practice squad, they must first be waived and pass through waivers.

Therefore, anyone on the practice squad has not been "kept", but rather "brought back".

:nutz: ..... :facepalm:

This conversation.....this one,.....is about keeping WR's on the roster. The title is "8 receivers on contract". No where in my 1st or 2nd "dissertation", did i make an argument/discussion for, or against, a WR being brought back, or Signed to,...the practice squad. What's irrelevant about them being brought back is that Whalen & Sambrano's "practice squad contracts"...so to speak, have them signed thru 2014, in which case they become ERFA's in 2015. If they accept the Colts offer, they may be here longer than expected, unless they are allowed to sign with another team. O.o ....Nathan Palmer was signed to the Colts active roster, from the 49ers practice squad, so he's not on the practice squad, and is under contract, on the active roster until 2015, in which he will become a RFA. With Adams, Collie, and Avery gone, Brazill, Kelley, Palmer, Whalen will all see action on the active roster in 2013, both in preseason, and regular season, unless Grigson decides to do something that hasn't been confirmed.

:nutz: ..... :facepalm:

This conversation.....this one,.....is about keeping WR's on the roster. The title is "8 receivers on contract". No where in my 1st or 2nd "dissertation", did i make an argument/discussion for, or against, a WR being brought back, or Signed to,...the practice squad. What's irrelevant about them being brought back is that Whalen & Sambrano's "practice squad contracts"...so to speak, have them signed thru 2014, in which case they become ERFA's in 2015. If they accept the Colts offer, they may be here longer than expected, unless they are allowed to sign with another team. O.o ....Nathan Palmer was signed to the Colts active roster, from the 49ers practice squad, so he's not on the practice squad, and is under contract, on the active roster until 2015, in which he will become a RFA. With Adams, Collie, and Avery gone, Brazill, Kelley, Palmer, Whalen will all see action on the active roster in 2013, both in preseason, and regular season, unless Grigson decides to do something that hasn't been confirmed.

Aren't we talking about the final, 53 man roster? There are a lot of guys under contract right now and considered a part of the team that won't be in five months. It's likely that those 6th, 7th and 8th receivers aren't going to be on the roster come September.

What happens after that is a matter of circumstance. Some of the guys who are released prior to the start of the regular season will clear waivers and get signed to the practice squad. But as of right now, there is no practice squad; that doesn't come into effect until Week 1 of the regular season. It's possible that some of the guys who were signed to future/reserve contracts will make the final roster. But not all of them will be. The majority of those guys will move on and never be a part of the team again.

Also, as it pertains to future/reserve contracts, as I understand it, that is a mechanism that's used after the regular season ends, but prior to the start of the upcoming league year. Once the league year begins, those contracts are added to the active roster, and are no longer considered future/reserve contracts. The league year started March 12. So everyone we have under contract right now is a member of the active roster. There's no future/reserve squad, there's no practice squad.

We might be saying the same thing as far as all of that is concerned. But where we differ is specific to those end of the roster receivers. I think Brazill has a good chance to make the roster, pending any additional receivers, but guys like Palmer, Sambrano, Kelley, Whalen, are all unlikely to make the final roster. And anyone who doesn't make final cuts goes through waivers.  Only after they clear waivers can they be signed to the practice squad, and only those players who are practice squad eligible. There are no future/reserve contracts at that point in time.

How come you didn't apply for GM after the 2011 season? You obviously know more than everyone else.

That's not the kind of comment that promotes a healthy discussion. We give our opinions here, some are wrong, some are right, some are....just weird. 

But we all have a right to posting a strong opinion. What we don't have a right to do is take shots at me because you don't like the certainty I espouse. 

If you disagree, please just say so. Spare me the snide remarks and I bet we'll all get along so much better.  :thmup:

I am so excited about the season, it seems like August is so far away. It seems like the time before the draft is moving like molasses in the winter. Hurry up time, I wonder if i could be put in a medically induced coma till draft time, I will contact my insurance company and get the ball rolling.

Aren't we talking about the final, 53 man roster? There are a lot of guys under contract right now and considered a part of the team that won't be in five months. It's likely that those 6th, 7th and 8th receivers aren't going to be on the roster come September.

What happens after that is a matter of circumstance. Some of the guys who are released prior to the start of the regular season will clear waivers and get signed to the practice squad. But as of right now, there is no practice squad; that doesn't come into effect until Week 1 of the regular season. It's possible that some of the guys who were signed to future/reserve contracts will make the final roster. But not all of them will be. The majority of those guys will move on and never be a part of the team again.

Also, as it pertains to future/reserve contracts, as I understand it, that is a mechanism that's used after the regular season ends, but prior to the start of the upcoming league year. Once the league year begins, those contracts are added to the active roster, and are no longer considered future/reserve contracts. The league year started March 12. So everyone we have under contract right now is a member of the active roster. There's no future/reserve squad, there's no practice squad.

We might be saying the same thing as far as all of that is concerned. But where we differ is specific to those end of the roster receivers. I think Brazill has a good chance to make the roster, pending any additional receivers, but guys like Palmer, Sambrano, Kelley, Whalen, are all unlikely to make the final roster. And anyone who doesn't make final cuts goes through waivers.  Only after they clear waivers can they be signed to the practice squad, and only those players who are practice squad eligible. There are no future/reserve contracts at that point in time.

:superman:, yes we're riding in the same cab, but where this conversation took a left, instead of a right, is when guys were saying that we won't keep 6 WR's on the roster, because we didn't do it last season, yet we clearly saw Wayne,Avery, Hilton,Brazill, Palmer, and Whalen all make an appearance on the field during the regular season. Your explanation of the transition that takes place between the future/reserve contract, to the practice squad, to the active roster is appreciated, however, all of this talk of this guy won't make the cut, or he won't be back is all speculation, until it's been confirmed. The thing that causes a little bit of confusion, is that the guys that are on the bottom end of the receiving corps are signed thru 2014, and 2015 respectively. So when i see all of this waiver, and practice squad talk, it all seems irrelevant if the guy signs a contract that allows him to play out the end of his deal....after you look at their contract details, tell me what you make of it, verses all of this talk about keeping or not keeping 6 WR's on the active roster.....you can look up their salaries on sportrac.com, type in their name, and look at the details.... :hmm:

:superman:, yes we're riding in the same cab, but where this conversation took a left, instead of a right, is when guys were saying that we won't keep 6 WR's on the roster, because we didn't do it last season, yet we clearly saw Wayne,Avery, Hilton,Brazill, Palmer, and Whalen all make an appearance on the field during the regular season. Your explanation of the transition that takes place between the future/reserve contract, to the practice squad, to the active roster is appreciated, however, all of this talk of this guy won't make the cut, or he won't be back is all speculation, until it's been confirmed. The thing that causes a little bit of confusion, is that the guys that are on the bottom end of the receiving corps are signed thru 2014, and 2015 respectively. So when i see all of this waiver, and practice squad talk, it all seems irrelevant if the guy signs a contract that allows him to play out the end of his deal....after you look at their contract details, tell me what you make of it, verses all of this talk about keeping or not keeping 6 WR's on the active roster.....you can look up their salaries on sportrac.com, type in their name, and look at the details.... :hmm:

Whalen didn't play a snap all year. He was put on IR before the season started.

We never saw Whalen make an appearance in the regular season. He broke his foot in the preseason and was IR'd. There was only one game when we had 6 WR's on the roster and that was the 1st game. Adams was cut after the 1st game. We never had 6 on the roster at any other point in the season.

:superman:, yes we're riding in the same cab, but where this conversation took a left, instead of a right, is when guys were saying that we won't keep 6 WR's on the roster, because we didn't do it last season, yet we clearly saw Wayne,Avery, Hilton,Brazill, Palmer, and Whalen all make an appearance on the field during the regular season.

I'm not sure the reason is that we didn't do it last year. I think it's more that it doesn't make sense to carry 6 receivers in most cases. Also, it's not really accurate to say that because we had 6 or however many receivers on the active roster at some point last season that we carried 6 at any point in time. Roster moves are made throughout the season.

Your explanation of the transition that takes place between the future/reserve contract, to the practice squad, to the active roster is appreciated, however, all of this talk of this guy won't make the cut, or he won't be back is all speculation, until it's been confirmed.

It's a message board. It's mostly speculation. But it is a sensible assumption, based on the way the team managed the roster last season. At least it is to me. I doubt we keep 6.

The thing that causes a little bit of confusion, is that the guys that are on the bottom end of the receiving corps are signed thru 2014, and 2015 respectively. So when i see all of this waiver, and practice squad talk, it all seems irrelevant if the guy signs a contract that allows him to play out the end of his deal....after you look at their contract details, tell me what you make of it, verses all of this talk about keeping or not keeping 6 WR's on the active roster.....you can look up their salaries on sportrac.com, type in their name, and look at the details.... :hmm:

The fact that certain players are signed for a certain amount of years has nothing to do with how long we keep them. As you know, these contracts aren't fully guaranteed. We have close to 80 players under contract right now, and we're going to get up to 90 at some point, but can only keep 53 (plus 8 on the practice squad, plus whoever lands on IR). So take someone like Griff Whalen or Jabin Sambrano, both of whom have contracts through 2014. That doesn't mean they are going to play out their contracts with the Colts.

One of the changes of the new CBA is that undrafted free agents get three year contracts. Players signed to future/reserve contracts get three year deals. So when you look at Spotrac and see a guy like Jeremy Kelly signed through 2015, that doesn't mean the team decided to make a three year commitment to him. That's basically the default contract. It has no bearing on whether a player is going to be kept on the roster after camp.

I think we won't have 6 wr's on the active roster. I fully expect Wayne, TY, DHB, Brazill, and a middle rd draft pick to be on the active roster. Out of the others I believe Whalen has a chance being familiar with the system to start if we don't get a wr in the draft or we take one very late but I would be surprised if we don't find a project/raw talent in rd 4 or 5 to bring in from the draft. I believe we carry 3 TE's on the active roster and plus we have a FB now too. Add 3 RBs to active roster and a backup qb I think we have more need to carry extra players at the other positions because of injuries that we see on OL/DL and the nature of rotating in players in the secondary and at LB during passing downs.

IMO I believe we will target DE or LB (OLB/ILB) in the first rd. I only say that because I feel we will have one of those graded very high on boards and they would likely fall to us and it would definately be a position of need. Overall I imagine we try to find DE, LB, S, WR, and G in the draft (in a perfect world).