Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

8 receivers on contract....

NDcolt

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RW, TY, DHB, Brazill, and Palmer/a draft pick (as pointed out, no way we keep 6 WRs). I don't see how Whalen supplants Palmer when Palmer already has ST experience. Palmer also has a much higher ceiling than Whalen. I have argued this until I'm speed blue in the face, but many seem to think Whalen is the next Welker, or apparently now Largent.

I personally would love to see our lineup as: Wayne, Hilton, DHB, Hopkins, Brazill, and whoever else emerges as a 6th. We would have a killer receiving core.

I think DHB would be the outside guy. Makes more sense for the Slot WR to be the smaller guy imo. I think TY would be deadlier in the slot than DHB would

Not necessarily. His best game came against the Pittsburgh Steelers. And the guys who were on the field when he was, most are on the Steelers now

You'd have to show me. My recollection is he came in mid third Q, had a couple plays and 1 reception from Luck (who needed a couple extra reps because school caused him to join the team late), and another 3 from backups... but nobody of consequence for the Steelers was still playing.

RW, TY, DHB, Brazill, and Palmer/a draft pick (as pointed out, no way we keep 6 WRs). I don't see how Whalen supplants Palmer when Palmer already has ST experience. Palmer also has a much higher ceiling than Whalen. I have argued this until I'm speed blue in the face, but many seem to think Whalen is the next Welker, or apparently now Largent.

It does no good to say this. We didn't keep 6 last yr. in Arians pass happy offense, but for some reason people think we'll keep 6 this yr.. Baffling to say the least. :???:

he did make a few good plays last preseason, made some big catches over the middle, took some big hits & came up with the ball, plus I think he may have played with Luck before...

I'm all for Griff succeeding, but I think it will be tough for him to crack the lineup, especially if they draft a wr. Kris Adams had a good preseason too, and look what happened to him.

I'm all for Griff succeeding, but I think it will be tough for him to crack the lineup, especially if they draft a wr. Kris Adams had a good preseason too, and look what happened to him.

Yeah, I was sorta joking around, I do remember Griff makin a few plays, but I assume the majority of fans want to see him succeed as a Colt because he was a buddy of Lucks at Stanford...

My point is I don't see us taking another wr least not in day 1 or 2.  

I gave my 2 cents on this a few weeks back, when I said "anyone that thinks we're drafting a WR in the first should just get that thought out of their heads now". I was.......told to go get bent by a few members whom had emotionally invested themselves in thinking a WR in the 1st was a good idea. 

To draft a WR this early, at this juncture, makes zero sense and I knew my guy Griggs wouldn't entertain the idea. 

We have all that any NFL team needs at WR. That is, 3 solid starters. People, for some reason, tend to think a team only needs 1 starting WR and the rest are just dressing. We have Wayne playing out of this world football, a sign that his level of play will be quite high for a few more years. We have DHB, athleticism incarnate and this hot-rod sensation named TY. 

Our back-ups are serviceable, no need to look elsewhere.  Whalen needs work but my guess is he stays...reminds me of Danny Amendola. Brazil, I'm not sold on him as anything but a back-up for the #3 slot. 

I have no guess for the 6th man. Total head-scratcher. 

I think DHB would be the outside guy. Makes more sense for the Slot WR to be the smaller guy imo. I think TY would be deadlier in the slot than DHB would

Think they will use Wayne and Ty in the slot. DHB will be dangerous out wide both him and Ty hitting the slant. They both will be very good after the catch. Wayne can do good in the slot. Just hate to see him taking the hits. He's pretty smart about getting down though

I think we keep five unless there is a camp injury or we keep someone who is really a kick returner only.

Wayne, DHB, Hilton, and Brazil are probably locks. So unless the Colts just think they have a hidden gem in one of the others the last spot will probably go to the best special teamer of the group.

Wayne

DHB

Hilton

Brazill

Kelley

Whalen

IF Hopkins, Rogers Wr is drafted, then...Whalen to the PracSquad.

Why Whalen instead of Kelley? Did he play any in preseason last year? I know he's tall and decent hands, but I haven't seen him in action.

Why Whalen instead of Kelley? Did he play any in preseason last year? I know he's tall and decent hands, but I haven't seen him in action.

I think we keep five unless there is a camp injury or we keep someone who is really a kick returner only.

Wayne, DHB, Hilton, and Brazil are probably locks. So unless the Colts just think they have a hidden gem in one of the others the last spot will probably go to the best special teamer of the group.

Here's every Colts WR on tap:

Reggie Wayne

Darrius Heyward Bey

Ty Hilton

Lavon Brazill

Jeremy Kelley

Nathan Palmer

Griff Whalen

Jabin Sambrano

The order in which i've listed them, i believe, is accurate, based on their talent/potential beneficial to the team. Whalen & Sambrano, IMHO, will be assigned to the practice squad, and possibly special-teams duty. The uphill battle for the positions they're competing for, is beyond their grasp. They don't offer anything different, that will increase their playing time on offense. Lavon's hands are better than Whalen's. Palmer's 4.3 speed, and big play ability will keep Sambrano on the bench, or get him released. Kelley's unique size, 42 inch vertical, and 4.5 40time speed, make him a potentially favorite red zone threat with Fleener, Allen, and Wayne, inside the 20 yard line. Other than being a decoy, i don't see much PT for those guys, but i've been wrong before.

Inspite of my earlier comments, I absolutely Love the balance the Colts have!!! :thmup:

Possession WR's:  Wayne, Brazill, Kelley, Whalen,

Deep Threat Wr's: Heyward Bey, Hilton, Palmer, Sambrano

I'm gonna say it one more time, IMO, WE WILL NOT KEEP 6 WR'S!!! There just isn't enough roster spots to keep 6. We didn't last yr. and we won't this yr..

I think we will be dropping Sambrano, Palmer, and Kelley. Whalen is too familiar IMO to pep and Luck for Pep to release him. I think favoritism will play a role. Because Kelley did not have a whole lot of play time in preseason last year i think he is dropped along with Sambrano and Palmer, despite Palmers speed.

Out of the following receivers under contract who stays?  Wayne, TY, Brazil, DHB, Sambrano, Whalen, Palmer, Kelley?  Only 6 will make the 53 man roster.  Sorry for all those thinking were gonna draft a receiver early!

This is a pretty dumb argument against drafting a receiver early.

It's the offseason.  We're deep (in terms of #'s) at every position.  By extension of that logic, we're not drafting anyone early except a QB or a kicker.

The reality is you have Wayne and TY who are locks, Brazill and DHB who have a leg up on a spot (but aren't locks), and a bunch of guys with question marks to answer, but question marks aren't enough to guarantee a roster spot.

I'm gonna say it one more time, IMO, WE WILL NOT KEEP 6 WR'S!!! There just isn't enough roster spots to keep 6. We didn't last yr. and we won't this yr..

Quote - "We didn't last yr."

2012 WR Roster

Reggie Wayne

Donnie Avery

Ty Hilton

Lavon Brazill

Nathan Palmer

Griff Whalen

Jabin Sambrano

We had 7 WR's on the roster in 2012, the first 6 saw playing time in 2012.... :bored: ..... :hmm: ..... :dunno: ???

2012 WR Roster

Reggie Wayne

Donnie Avery

Ty Hilton

Lavon Brazill

Nathan Palmer

Griff Whalen

Jabin Sambrano

We had 7 WR's on the roster in 2012, the first 6 saw playing time in 2012.... :bored: ..... :hmm: ..... :dunno: ???

Whalen and Sambrano never made the 53 man roster, they were both put on IR during the preseason.

Kris Adams did make the roster early in the year and there might have been an overlap where he and Palmer were both on the team.

I gave my 2 cents on this a few weeks back, when I said "anyone that thinks we're drafting a WR in the first should just get that thought out of their heads now". I was.......told to go get bent by a few members whom had emotionally invested themselves in thinking a WR in the 1st was a good idea. 

To draft a WR this early, at this juncture, makes zero sense and I knew my guy Griggs wouldn't entertain the idea. 

We have all that any NFL team needs at WR. That is, 3 solid starters. People, for some reason, tend to think a team only needs 1 starting WR and the rest are just dressing. We have Wayne playing out of this world football, a sign that his level of play will be quite high for a few more years. We have DHB, athleticism incarnate and this hot-rod sensation named TY. 

Our back-ups are serviceable, no need to look elsewhere.  Whalen needs work but my guess is he stays...reminds me of Danny Amendola. Brazil, I'm not sold on him as anything but a back-up for the #3 slot. 

I have no guess for the 6th man. Total head-scratcher. 

How come you didn't apply for GM after the 2011 season? You obviously know more than everyone else.

2012 WR Roster

Reggie Wayne

Donnie Avery

Ty Hilton

Lavon Brazill

Nathan Palmer

Griff Whalen

Jabin Sambrano

As Bav as already said, we didn't keep 6 last yr. because Whalen and Sambrano were IR'ed. Kris Adams was cut after week 1 and then we picked up Palmer.

Height...is the one thing that Kelley has that no other receiver on our team has... Wayne or Hilton Brazzil, DHB all can do what Whalen can do better...but in the red zone...I'll take Wayne, Hilton, DHB and 6'6" Kelley.  IF...he is as good in the NFL as I have seen in the AFL.

This is a pretty dumb argument against drafting a receiver early.

It's the offseason.  We're deep (in terms of #'s) at every position.  By extension of that logic, we're not drafting anyone early except a QB or a kicker.

The reality is you have Wayne and TY who are locks, Brazill and DHB who have a leg up on a spot (but aren't locks), and a bunch of guys with question marks to answer, but question marks aren't enough to guarantee a roster spot.

No DHB & Brazil ARE locks & the Brass thinks pretty highly of Palmer & Whalen.  If we keep 5 on the 53 roster like many on here suggest then i highly doubt we will be drafting a wr early.  Not that dumb of an argument.

No DHB & Brazil ARE locks & the Brass thinks pretty highly of Palmer & Whalen.  If we keep 5 on the 53 roster like many on here suggest then i highly doubt we will be drafting a wr early.  Not that dumb of an argument.

Brazill is a former 6th round pick who didn't do much on the field last year. I like him, and a look forward to him developing, but we could easily upgrade the back end of our receiver corps in the draft. Brazill isn't untouchable.

If DHB was a lock we would have guaranteed his full salary and dropped the total to $2.5M to save us $500K.  Brazill is a 6th round pick.

I don't think we end up cutting either, but they certainly aren't locks.

Depending on the player, it's not a reach at all to think a 1st round WR would immediately become a #3 on this team.

But regardless, we're as deep at WR as we are at any position, which means we're not drafting anyone in the first round.  That's why it is a dumb argument.  The only position off the table is any position that won't make the 53 man roster.  That's QB, P, and K.

We have 3 guys (Reggie.. 35 years old, DHB concussion and suspected hands, TY 2nd in drops pct last year and our GM called him a peanut), 1 is for a couple of snaps(Brazil), and 3 that never cought a ball in the NFL. I mean, it's a need, first year WR doesn't usually have a great year, if we draft one this year he can step up and learn the game, but also help, because if he can catch, and get open he's gonna play.

We have 3 guys (Reggie.. 35 years old, DHB concussion and suspected hands, TY 2nd in drops pct last year and our GM called him a peanut), 1 is for a couple of snaps(Brazil), and 3 that never cought a ball in the NFL. I mean, it's a need, first year WR doesn't usually have a great year, if we draft one this year he can step up and learn the game, but also help, because if he can catch, and get open he's gonna play.

The league is changing. A rookie receiver can really go off in the right environment.

Like I said earlier, I don't think the draft board points to receiver at #24. If we traded back into the second round, I could see us taking a receiver in the late 30s or somewhere around there. I just don't think Grigson's going into the draft dreaming up ways to grab a receiver. First, he said he doesn't draft based on need. Second, if we have to start the season with the receiver corps we have right now, not only would we be okay, we'd actually be better than we were last year.

Wayne, DHB, TY are locks.  Brazil probably.  Whalen on the bubble.  So sorry, but this in no way precludes us from drafting a WR in the first round.  More so than any other draft, I really think BPA is what Grigs will do, so if it's WR, so be it.

It does no good to say this. We didn't keep 6 last yr. in Arians pass happy offense, but for some reason people think we'll keep 6 this yr.. Baffling to say the least. :???:

When we trimmed our roster to 53 we in fact did have 6 wrs, not saying we will this year but who knows. We didn't end with 6 wrs though

WR (6) -- Reggie Wayne (12th year, Miami), LaVon Brazill (rookie, Ohio), T.Y. Hilton (rookie, Florida International), Austin Collie (4th year, BYU), Donnie Avery (5th year, Houston), Kris Adams (1st year, UTEP).

Reggie, T.Y., DHB... anybody else is going to have to show some ST ability or earn their spot the old fashioned way...

I like Brazill's potential, but nobody knows if he is going to be a reliable option..

Whalen kind of strikes me as a Blair White in terms of talent, but is probably working out with Andrew as we speak...

Palmer can fly, but can he do anything else?

Sambrano impressed the coaches during TC, but hasn't shown anything yet...

Kelley is a beast of a man, but he would have probably been in the league last year if there was a snowball's chance in Hades that he'd develop into an Andre Johnson, despite the health scare...

We still need to draft a stud to take over for 87, if not this draft, then in 2014... I love T.Y., but he is not that guy, IMO...

Receiving core looks pretty solid as is, but WR will become a big need very soon after DHB leaves and Reggie is entering the final years of his contract... Looking at the position without those two names on the list is panic-inducing... we should get ahead of the curve on this one...

When we trimmed our roster to 53 we in fact did have 6 wrs, not saying we will this year but who knows. We didn't end with 6 wrs though

WR (6) -- Reggie Wayne (12th year, Miami), LaVon Brazill (rookie, Ohio), T.Y. Hilton (rookie, Florida International), Austin Collie (4th year, BYU), Donnie Avery (5th year, Houston), Kris Adams (1st year, UTEP).

Right but you could argue the only reason they kept six was because of injuries to Hilton and Collie going into that first game.  As guys got healthy the Colts went to five active WRs pretty quickly and for most of the season.

Right but you could argue the only reason they kept six was because of injuries to Hilton and Collie going into that first game. As guys got healthy the Colts went to five active WRs pretty quickly and for most of the season.

They still kept 6 when Collie went out against Jags in sept, we picked up Palmer. Kris Adams didn't get released until October and that was for OL purposes because Satele had hurt his knee and Joe Reitz was already out

Sambrano was a non factor all of last years camp, and I don't even remember seeing him in the preseason or if he was even there. I liked his potential when I first heard of him, but since he's been on the team he might as well have... well... not been on the team. Even Jeremy Ross who we cut last preseason looked better than Sambrano, and Kris Adams look better than Sambrano. The only people who I feel comfortable saying they'll still be on the roster come preseason is Wayne, DHB, Hilton, and Brazill. That leaves Kelly, Palmer, Whalen, Sambrano. And honestly I only feel comfortable with Brazill as that No.5 guy. To me, with how they utilized him last season, he's basically just a back up to Hilton . So, I'd like to see our No.4 guy to be a bigger, possession receiver. We have a few candidates already on roster to maybe fill that spot, but this is where I feel like drafting a receiver in the 1st or 3rd gets it's practicality. We can get a possession guy, he'll get plenty of play probably splitting time with Hilton in 3-wide sets (or he'll just beat out DHB), and hopefully if we get what we paid for him, someone who can eventually be that No.1 guy when Reggie's contract is up or if he retires before then.

They still kept 6 when Collie went out against Jags in sept, we picked up Palmer. Kris Adams didn't get released until October and that was for OL purposes because Satele had hurt his knee and Joe Reitz was already out

Collie went down in the Jags causing them to bring Palmer in (also if you believe reports the coaches were not happy with Adams not going all out on some plays in the Jags game). My guess was they spent the bye week thst followed fguring out which guy would stay Adams or Palmer knowing they would need to release one for line help. Adams was cut before the Packers game for line help just as you said.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/nfl_news.cfm?news_id=4714

So they only had five WRs for the Packers game which because of the bye week was the first game after Collie's injury. So one week during the bye week when they had six guys on the roster healthy doesn't exactly repersent what they did all year. In no game last year did we have more than five active healthy WRs on the roster. If we only kept five with two of them being rookies and one mainly a special teams player I don't see us keeping six this year unless one is really just a kick return guy.

Collie went down in the Jags causing them to bring Palmer in (also if you believe reports the coaches were not happy with Adams not going all out on some plays in the Jags game). My guess was they spent the bye week thst followed fguring out which guy would stay Adams or Palmer knowing they would need to release one for line help. Adams was cut before the Packers game for line help just as you said.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/nfl_news.cfm?news_id=4714

So they only had five WRs for the Packers game which because of the bye week was the first game after Collie's injury. So one week during the bye week when they had six guys on the roster healthy doesn't exactly repersent what they did all year. In no game last year did we have more than five active healthy WRs on the roster. If we only kept five with two of them being rookies and one mainly a special teams player I don't see us keeping six this year unless one is really just a kick return guy.

Only 4 made the 46 game day roster every week anyway