Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One gaping hole.......

deano

I am just so-so on DHB.

I appreciate the ticker tape parade we are throwing the guy, but lets let

Him accomplish something first, other than a fast 40 time

I truly hope he comes in and becomes a star.

He does however fill a true need, and PROBABLY means no WR in round one.

Now the gaping hole........

I believe that there are 2 elite road grader type guards in this draft that would make a huge difference

On this line. These 2 can move a 340 NT out of the way by themselves, which opens up a great deal for this line, and finally a RB has a hole.........

1) Warmack

2) Warford

Both fit the mold of former greats Larry Allen and Steve Hutchenson

Unless an amazing thing happens, Warmack will be gone in the teens

Warford is within reach but should be available in the early part of round 2

I think we may see some wheeling and dealing on draft day to trade for a later pick and then to get Warford.

I think you may also see a push for DE/OLB (maybe 2 picks) with the rest of the draft for backups

I see a guard as a "nice to have", not a gaping hole. Take the guards we have: Anderson, Justin, Griffin, Robert, Ijalana, Ben, Reitz, Joe, McGlynn, Mike, and a list of undrafted free agents and have them battle it out for the last guard position. We can now draft BPA period. If one of the players drafted at some point is a guard, then he can fight for the starting position. This goes for an OLB as well. :blueshoe:

I see a guard as a "nice to have", not a gaping hole. Take the guards we have: Anderson, Justin, Griffin, Robert, Ijalana, Ben, Reitz, Joe, McGlynn, Mike, and a list of undrafted free agents and have them battle it out for the last guard position. We can now draft BPA period. If one of the players drafted at some point is a guard, then he can fight for the starting position. This goes for an OLB as well. :blueshoe:

I have said this for a while, and most have disagreed with me, but I believe if Lacy is there at #24 then we should take him. Right now, at least on paper, our biggest need is RB. I say this because Ballard is the only back we have on the roster who can stay healthy and secures the ball well. Ballard can be explosive at times, but I do not believe he is as explosive as Lacy. The two would be a very good 1-2 punch and could complement each other very well. We also need to be prepared in the event that Ballard goes down or misses some time.

I believe that Lacy at #24 is both value and need.

Right now all those Guards listed would do is only that...fight...fight to see which one will start and get themselves embarrased pretending to be starters. On the surface competition sounds great and in theory it is but if you have two Guards competing for 1 spot for example thats a clear sign that there is no dominant starter-a guy going into camp locked in to start-Carl Nicks for example, Also out of every single one of them players you named, Not a single one is guaranteed to be on the roster come week 1 next year do to various reason....Injuries and in 2 cases suckage

I have said this for a while, and most have disagreed with me, but I believe if Lacy is there at #24 then we should take him. Right now, at least on paper, our biggest need is RB. I say this because Ballard is the only back we have on the roster who can stay healthy and secures the ball well. Ballard can be explosive at times, but I do not believe he is as explosive as Lacy. The two would be a very good 1-2 punch and could complement each other very well. We also need to be prepared in the event that Ballard goes down or misses some time.

Ballard fumbled 3 times last year, all were recovered by the offense but he has to hang onto the ball better......Brown literally has 1 fumble his whole career....1, there will also be a ton of better players available at a much much higher need, Corner, Guard, WR

Right now all those Guards listed would do is only that...fight...fight to see which one will start and get themselves embarrased pretending to be starters. On the surface competition sounds great and in theory it is but if you got to Guards competing for 1 spot for example thats a clear sign that there is no dominant starter-a guy going into camp locked in to start-Carl Nicks for example, Also out of every single one of them players you named, Not a single one is guaranteed to be on the roster come week 1 next year do to various reason....Injuries and 2 cases suckage

They are all unproven....... And at the very least the ceiling for each of them is being "serviceable"

There isn't a "Carl Nicks" in this group as per Gavin's example.

All I am saying is having ONE road grader on the line would make huge differences for this offense.......

Watch some highlights of Emmitt Smiths runs....... In many cases he's doesn't get touched until he's past 3 yards....... This is because of a OL that has some road graders.

So far........ We have none....... Still counting.....

Ballard fumbled 3 times last year, all were recovered by the offense but he has to hang onto the ball better......Brown literally has 1 fumble his whole career....1, there will also be a ton of better players available at a much much higher need, Corner, Guard, WR

You are certainly entitled to that opinion, and that is what a message board is for. That said; I completely disagree. We need to be prepared if Ballard goes down, because we do not have another back on the roster who can carry the load for us.

Lacy is a decent player, but for us.... 24 is too high. iMHo

You are certainly entitled to that opinion, and that is what a message board is for. That said; I completely disagree. We need to be prepared if Ballard goes down, because we do not have another back on the roster who can carry the load for us.

Armchair Experts is all we are. I like our RB's, and don't feel we need to add to them via this draft. Brown averages 12.5 game a year. Ballard, in your words, can stay healthy. Carter, well, I'm still undecided. I want O-line, then more O-line. If we can give Luck protection, and open up the running lanes, beware the rest of the league....

why is lacy so breathtakingly special to you? 

if u want a back why not taylor or ray graham? 

honestly it is a total waste to even consider to draft a rb at 24 

I'm going with an OLB with the first pick. Who do we have outside of Mathis that is a proven QB nuisance? No one... This is a position that needs to be addressed with the 1st pick and probably another later round pick. Mathis isn't getting any younger and if we can't get to the opposing teams QB it's going to be a long season.  

I am just so-so on DHB.

I believe that there are 2 elite road grader type guards in this draft that would make a huge difference

On this line. These 2 can move a 340 NT out of the way by themselves, which opens up a great deal for this line, and finally a RB has a hole.........

1) Warmack

2) Warford

I think we may see some wheeling and dealing on draft day to trade for a later pick and then to get Warford.

I think you may also see a push for DE/OLB (maybe 2 picks) with the rest of the draft for backups

I don't think the acquisition of DHB means anything with regards to where the Colts go with the # 1 pick. I am not sure how many times Grigson needs to state his draft theory for it to sink in and in many cases, it probably never will.

Further, if he passes on the "road grader" type guards in round 1, it does not mean that he thinks the guards currently on the roster are OK and that he won't pick up one later in the draft.

Armchair Experts is all we are. I like our RB's, and don't feel we need to add to them via this draft. Brown averages 12.5 game a year. Ballard, in your words, can stay healthy. Carter, well, I'm still undecided. I want O-line, then more O-line. If we can give Luck protection, and open up the running lanes, beware the rest of the league....

Yes....we are just taking educated guesses at this but I agree a highly improved O-line is the key to unlocking Andrew Luck's full potential.

Luck's ability to dissect and exploit defenses will be maximized by a "pick your poison" level of offensive balance which has been absent from the Colts offense since 2006 and this business of having substandard run-blocking has to stop.

Thankfully, Grigson and Pagano are making that connection and hopefully we see it addressed again on draft day.

I don't think the acquisition of DHB means anything with regards to where the Colts go with the # 1 pick. I am not sure how many times Grigson needs to state his draft theory for it to sink in and in many cases, it probably never will.

Further, if he passes on the "road grader" type guards in round 1, it does not mean that he thinks the guards currently on the roster are OK and that he won't pick up one later in the draft.

Fortunately....we have an OG class that is said to be deep this year.The only thing I'm a little skittish about is not having a 2nd round pick because I think a very heavy run on OGs will happen between our #24 and #86 picks.

I trust Grigson to spot mid-round value at OG....but I wouldn't mind seeing OG given top-shelf priority if Warmack or Cooper fall or a slight trade down for Warford can happen.

Yes,Grigson is the pro and we aren't....but its hard for me to identify a better "BPA" value at #24 than Warmack or Cooper. IMO, none of the WRs seem to qualify and I highly doubt any of the advertised premier pass-rush OLBs will drop that far.

The likely outcome of course is that neither Warmack or Cooper drop and a trade down allowing us to snag Warford won't happen either....despite the dream scenarios we concoct here.....so a mid-rounder would have to be taken. If so, hopefully Grigson nails it and we get this run-blocking figured out.

Why don't you like Ballard? Why doesn't anyone like Ballard? I love his ability I believe we are great at running back! What we need is a pass rusher!

Very hard for Brown to fumble when he is never on the field.  DB may not make this team.  Havili will be the #2 option behind Ballard IMO.  I would not be surprised at all to see the Colts  go after another RB (undrafted maybe). 

I hope we take Lattimore in the 5th like we did with Chapman last year. 

I really hope Chap becomes the player we want him to be!!  If he does, and 2 seasons from now Lattimore is healthy, we would have 2 GREAT players drafted in the late rounds.

No experts posting here..........

Fully agree.... Those years of junior high football, riding the bench hoping that the coach puts me in doesnt

make me an expert.... I did play a whole afternoon once of touch football in the neighborhood though.

We have had SO many years of the RB finding no opening, or being pushed back, I would LOVE to have a REAL, bona Fide running attack..........

The guy carrying the ball is only part of the story. We could have Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, or Eric Dickerson behind the lines we have put on the field and even they would have problems

Ya gotsa have some HOLES for the RB to run through.......... Just saying...........

Havili is a FB so obviously he is not going to be the number 2 option although he will be worked into the offense no doubt, Also Brown had 3.9 yards per carry last year(same as Ballard) behind a O Line that was littered with guys that dont belong on the football field at Guards especially, Ballard likely will be the starter but Brown will get his fair share of touches

I am just so-so on DHB.

1) Warmack

2) Warford

I would take a road grader over a turnstile any day!

Why don't you like Ballard? Why doesn't anyone like Ballard? I love his ability I believe we are great at running back! What we need is a pass rusher!

I never said I did not like Ballard. I do not even understand how you could come to conclusion that is remotely what I am implying.

why is lacy so breathtakingly special to you? 

if u want a back why not taylor or ray graham? 

honestly it is a total waste to even consider to draft a rb at 24 

I believe that Lacy is going to be an outstanding NFL back.

I really hope Chap becomes the player we want him to be!!  If he does, and 2 seasons from now Lattimore is healthy, we would have 2 GREAT players drafted in the late rounds.

We don't have a 5, do we? I'd take a chance on Lattimore late also, but I think someone will grab him by the 3rd. Someone with a lot of picks, like the 49ers.

Skill positions like WR and TE - after the first 3 rounds, there is a considerable dropoff, IMO. The likes of Marques Colston and Antonio Gates, IMO, are few and far between. RBs, due to RBC, you can land a starter in later rounds.

That is why, if we plan to go WR, it has to happen in our first 3 rounds. Otherwise, you are rolling the dice a bit.

If DeAndre Hopkins is your BPA, you take him, regardless of who is on the roster, IMO. Colts also seemed to have worked out Quinton Patton, potentially a round 3 wideout. We will see how things go. I agree with BPA driving the draft for us.

Skill positions like WR and TE - after the first 3 rounds, there is a considerable dropoff, IMO. The likes of Marques Colston and Antonio Gates, IMO, are few and far between. RBs, due to RBC, you can land a starter in later rounds.

That is why, if we plan to go WR, it has to happen in our first 3 rounds. Otherwise, you are rolling the dice a bit.

If DeAndre Hopkins is your BPA, you take him, regardless of who is on the roster, IMO. Colts also seemed to have worked out Quinton Patton, potentially a round 3 wideout. We will see how things go. I agree with BPA driving the draft for us.

I think Patton will go in the early 2nd just like his 83.8 draft grade says

You make some pondedring points but I just don't know.  RB has the shortest career in the NFL.  Most are dime a dozen, no matter what round selected in.  I feel you have a better shot at drafting a Ki-jana Carter than an Adrian Peterson in round 1.  IMO, I think we should get top talent but at a less risky and more durable position.      

You make some pondedring points but I just don't know.  RB has the shortest career in the NFL.  Most are dime a dozen, no matter what round selected in.  I feel you have a better shot at drafting a Ki-jana Carter than an Adrian Peterson in round 1.  IMO, I think we should get top talent but at a less risky and more durable position.      

I do not agree that RBs are a dime a dozen.

The way the rookie pay scale is now, it’s actually a good idea to get a RB late in the first round. The deal is very manageable on the cap and it also adds an extra year to the contract. I believe we will see more RBs taken in the late first round, just as last year, because of the way the rules have changed.

I do not agree that RBs are a dime a dozen.

The way the rookie pay scale is now, it’s actually a good idea to get a RB late in the first round. The deal is very manageable on the cap and it also adds an extra year to the contract. I believe we will see more RBs taken in the late first round, just as last year, because of the way the rules have changed.

I heard polian's say the same thing.....he's nuts imo.

Come to think of it he it said that about drafting running back any where in the first...which made me cringe.

using our phantom 5th rd pick :rock:

I heard polian's say the same thing.....he's nuts imo.

Come to think of it he it said that about drafting running back any where in the first...which made me cringe.

But he is right. You get the best years from a RB on a rookie deal.

Most everyone likes Ballard as a runner. He hurt us bad as a pass blocker. Lost!

We are near the bottom of the League at RB.

One decent one and two not muches after that.

The new FB is a nice +.

But he is right. You get the best years from a RB on a rookie deal.

For many, their only years.  RB is brutal and players take a beating.  To me, Lacy is the only guy that might be considered late first round material, at best.  If he falls to us, then other teams/gm's might feel the same.  I think there are other guys close in talent that will be there for our 3rd or maybe even 4th round pick.  Among those Stepfan Taylor, Le'Veon Bell, Christine Michael, and Montee Ball to name a few.  I'd like to get a top tier OG (Cooper/Warfard ?) or future #1 WR or a Game Wrecker pass rush DE or OLB with our #24.

I actually wanted the Colts to draft Doug Martin if he lasted to the second round last year. That being said I like Ballard and still have faith that Brown and Carter as change of pace guys. IMO we don't need to look at RB early. We found Ballard at the end of the 5th round last year. Solid backs can be found anywhere, Lacy is by no means a can't miss guy. If Grigson wants to bring in Pep's guy Stephon Taylor later in the draft, I'd be all for that.

I am just so-so on DHB.

1) Warmack

2) Warford

Gaping hole?

Only if you ignore the + impact the new additions will have on the line, not just at their position.

A strong OT will result in better OG play next to him.

The bigger issue may be getting better at Center so you don't have two weak links together.

Some only want one position in round 1, but until you know who is gone how do you know that's the best player?

Everything works out better when you just go BPA.

Ballard was a rookie RB last year who learned a lot and still had 800 yds rushing behind a poor OL. He should be a little bigger, faster, and stronger this year. He will also have more experience picking up blitzers. If we add in a better OL and a FB who has some ability to make people miss that can give Ballard a breather, our running game will be a lot better without drafting someone like Lacy.