Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DHB to visit Colts

ell_chrisso

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, Heyward-Bey has been called 'stone hands' more than once in the press...if he was any good Oakland would be keeping him.

The last thing we need is a speed receiver taking the top off the D and then dropping the pass.

The media called Manning "Noodle Arm" last season, and he went out and had probably the second best year of his career, statistically speaking.

The press and the media write headlines and drive ratings. I prefer people who actually watch the games, like Football Outsiders and Pro Football Focus, and Trent Dilfer, and so on. And even they aren't the be-all, end-all.

Picking up Heyward Bey has good potential, and I am not against it at at all.  However I am having a tough time getting super excited about it.  Like Superman said, I'm warming up to it.  Not all the way there yet, but I'm warming up to it.

I generally give any Raider a pass when it comes to production. I would give him a shot if he comes at a fair price. When was the last time he played with a good QB? Might be all he needs to be a solid player.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HeywDa00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AverDo00.htm

Look at his numbers last year and in 2011, and compare them to Avery's from last year, and you'll see very similar production. I haven't spent a whole lot of time looking at the advanced stats, but I believe his efficiency and catch rate are better than Avery's, also. Assuming he doesn't cost five times as much as Avery did last year ($615k), it would be a good deal. And I don't think we'll be signing him for $3m/year (I could be wrong).

Picking up Heyward Bey has good potential, and I am not against it at at all.  However I am having a tough time getting super excited about it.  Like Superman said, I'm warming up to it.  Not all the way there yet, but I'm warming up to it.

This is how I feel. Frankly, if they bring him in, I'm ok with it, and if they don't I'm ok with that too. I think he does have some potential and I like that he's over 6'0" tall with speed. It has to be for cheap though, that's the most important thing IMO. If he's willing to come in and prove himself on a cheap contract, then he can be rewarded for it later. I honestly don't believe he will ever have a true #1 potential though.

I get excited whenever we add a player, whether I like the player or the details or not. It's a new possibility, and has the potential to be a good get for the team. With the exception of futures contracts and UDFAs that no one knows much about, but when it's a veteran player, I always look for the positive in the acquisition.

(Going back to Walden, I don't think he'll be a Pro Bowler, and I think we overpaid, but I think he has a good chance to be a solid player in our defense. I went back and watched the game against the Packers over the weekend, which is an instant favorite, but I was looking specifically at Walden's role and effectiveness. He stood out as a pass rusher, a tackler and a coverage man. So he has promise as our Sam backer. So even though I don't like everything about the acquisition, I like the promise that it holds.)

After reading thru seven pages thus far and reading many pro and con banter in reference to DHB..........I am of the opinion that we sign him.  I would even consider him a bit of a mix of Garcon and Avery as far as his skillset goes.

On one hand he has had the dropsies in his career (though only 5 last year) reminiscent of both Avery and Garcon.........

On the other hand, he offers speed, physicality and a willingness to block in the running game........

At 26 years old he is still young enough to right the ship, gain better focus (which usually happens when playing for a better organization) and catch more balls thrown his way ALL WHILE providing this team with a physical, extremely fast downfield target that will open up the underneath routes for Reggie, Allen, Fleener and T.Y.........not to mention that Fleener can run a seam pattern and draw safety coverage away from T.Y. and/or DHB and vice versa. 

Having DHB on the outside helps the offense more than not having him on the roster at all.  Talent wise he is better than Brazill, Palmer, Sambrano, Whalen and most certainly Kelley (the 6'6" dude).  Brazill, Palmer and Whalen (maybe) will provide the depth in this scenario - depending on the draft of course!

This of course, is just my opinion!

I think we are signing him. it reminds me of when Landry came in. they made a big deal and presentation about it. also, like grigson has said. they have signed everyone they brought in. Im pretty happy about signing him. like to see him improve on his talent and be groomed to take over once reggie steps down.

In his defense he has played with QBs to the likes of Jamarcus Russell, Bruce Gradkowski, Jason Campbell and Carson Palmer :facepalm: .  I think he's physically gifted to be a #1, the guy had 975 yards in 2011 starting 14 games.  The guy didn't produce much last year however he was smashed pretty badly.  The guy is a physical freak, first rounder with great speed and potential.  If anything would help this man it would be a fresh start on a team with better mgmt/coaching/players.  The coaches, combined with Luck and Reggie MAY be able to get this guy hitting on all cylinders.  Reggie could get him doing those one handed catch drills! haha

I would like this pickup, but as others said it's more based on potential.  He's young, gifted athletically and will have a good supporting cast around him.  I think he will be our legitimate #2 if signed and the sky is the limit for this young man. 

I would definitely be happy with the pickup. :cheer2:

This is how I feel. Frankly, if they bring him in, I'm ok with it, and if they don't I'm ok with that too. I think he does have some potential and I like that he's over 6'0" tall with speed. It has to be for cheap though, that's the most important thing IMO. If he's willing to come in and prove himself on a cheap contract, then he can be rewarded for it later. I honestly don't believe he will ever have a true #1 potential though.

Adding Bey and then drafting a guy like Justin Hunter could make things very interesting.  Drafting a wideout is not what I have been lobbying for, but if the above happened that would be very intriguing I think.  Hunter, Wayne, Hilton, Bey along with Allen, Fleener and probably Brazil and Palmer(I like his potential better than Whalen) would be a very explosive set of WR in my opinion.

There's a LOT more to it than that.. Route-running, effort, knowledge of the game, first-step quickness, agility, confidence, chemistry, toughness, instincts, savviness, awareness (no this is not a Madden attributes list), etc... I'm not saying he won't pan out. Hey, he could end up being fantastic.. who knows? but we can't just say he's bigger and faster (which is debatable btw) so he will be better.

ok ok.... too many things to evaluate... but I'm a fan, not a scout :) Our front office evaluates these other things :) [j/k]

If we can get him for a decent contract I am for it.  Irsay never promised us a guy who was going to be a future number one that came from someone tweeting when they were trying to guess what Irsay was going after.  This is a guy with experience playing in the NFL who could go to the otherside of Wayne.  He's also a former first overall pick who has never really had a great QB to play with.  Who knows maybe a fresh start with a QB like Luck is just what he needs and if he plays up to the talent he has with a good QB he could very well become a number one WR one day.  The one thing that concerns me is that last year Luck was quoted saying the one guy who could out run his arm was Avery and if DHB is faster than Avery that could be an issue but I am not going to lose sleep over it.  This would give us three very fast WRs and a little depth there just in case one of them should get hurt.  I'd say we could still use another WR rather it come threw the draft or one of the other guys trying to win a spot in camp. 

For anyone who complains this isn't a "wopper" keep in mind when Irsay says stuff like that he's looking at it from the point of view that it's going to work out perfectly because he has faith in Grigson.  If that's the case and they can get a guy like DHB for slightly cheaper and he becomes the player the Raiders thought they had when he was drafted and becomes a future number one for this team then yes he will be a "wooper" of a pick up for the Colts. 

With that said we haven't signed him yet and we might not but I would be in favor of it if we do. I will say this if we pick up DHB it frees us up to truly go after the BPA that gives us some depth in the first round or to trade back because our only true needs going into the draft would be some depth at the safety position and a kick returner and both of those can be found in the later rounds of the draft or in the case of kick return might not need to be found in the draft at all so that would be an added bonus as well. 

As my handle indicates, I'm a fan of both the Colts and the Raiders. Became a Raider fan as a child, 4 years before the Colts came to Indiana, where I've lived my whole life. I don't care how anyone cares about someone having two teams, I've heard it all before, I just don't give a crap. (Not to mention it's an entirely different subject for discussion at some other time on some other thread.) That said, I've probably seen more Raider games over the last few years than most of the people posting on this forum. And I gotta tell ya, I'm not too thrilled about the idea of DHB becoming a Colt. But truth be told, he's probably at least a slight upgrade over Donnie Avery.  Here's the deal though, the Colts are gonna be running an entirely new offense under Pep Hamelton next season. It's gonna be a west coast style offense with emphasis on precise route running. So it's all about 'Will DHB be effective in this new short pass offense?' Based on what I've seen and read over the last 4 seasons, I'd say the answer is no. He's not a very good route runner. But he's also been on an awful team, and there's been plenty of times where a change of scenery works wonders on players. So who knows for sure? Only time is gonna tell. That's if we even sign him of course.

I would be so disappointed if he is a Colt next year. We need a player with hands that we have confidence throwing the ball to on 3rd down. I don't even care if we sign another WR in FA. I can handle the players we have.

I'm fine with who we have for right now, assuming no one gets hurt. But DHB would be a good addition, and would add an element to our offense that we don't have right now. I don't understand why anyone would be disappointed if we added a big, young, athletic receiver to the mix, even if he's not exactly the stuff dreams are made of.

Adding Bey and then drafting a guy like Justin Hunter could make things very interesting.  Drafting a wideout is not what I have been lobbying for, but if the above happened that would be very intriguing I think.  Hunter, Wayne, Hilton, Bey along with Allen, Fleener and probably Brazil and Palmer(I like his potential better than Whalen) would be a very explosive set of WR in my opinion.

I don't like the idea of drafting a WR in the 1st rd. if we add Bey. Hunter won't last till our 3rd rd. pick. Now if we can trade down and get an extra pick and draft Hunter, that would be ok. I think we could add DaRick Rodgers or Aaron Dobson in the 3rd or 4th rd. though if we don't trade down. 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HeywDa00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AverDo00.htm

Look at his numbers last year and in 2011, and compare them to Avery's from last year, and you'll see very similar production. I haven't spent a whole lot of time looking at the advanced stats, but I believe his efficiency and catch rate are better than Avery's, also. Assuming he doesn't cost five times as much as Avery did last year ($615k), it would be a good deal. And I don't think we'll be signing him for $3m/year (I could be wrong).

Don't get me wrong, I think he is as good, if not better than Avery. He will make a good replacement if he signs. I'm just saying that popular opinion is he is a bust but I think if given a chance with a good QB he can change that label.

Before last season, I had my doubts about Reggie. He had looked like he was slowing down and wasn't going after passes the way he used to. Then the season started and the old Reggie was back. Making every catch thrown to him practically.

Reggie still has as good of hands as anyone. Guess you missed the 88 incomplete passes thrown his way and the Interceptions related to them.

Due to a lack of speed he will have trouble separating in the 3 step drop.

Colts I like- are real keepers:

Luck, D Allen, V Ballard, Bethea ok, Butler, Castonzo ok, Cherilus, K Connor, Vontae, Fleenor, Francois, Freeman, Hilton, J Hughes, Landry, Lefeged, Mathis-situational, McAfee, Redding, Saunders, Shipley, D Thomas, G Toler, Reggie- gettin' old. Hasselbeck & Harnish.

Trading back to get picks to draft future replacements at Pass rush, WR, and Center are my biggest wants. And a RB.

Colts that i hold serious promise for:

Brazzill, Chapman, C Geathers, L Guy, M Harvey, J Hickman, Ijalna, Reitz, Whalen, Walden.

Glad we have Tevaseu, Sidbury might be a nice surprise. Josh Gordy they wanted back.

ISSUES with:

Nevis is my kind of guy but Not as a 3-4 DE.

Like Angerer as the Bears MLB. Don`t see him getting off blocks well enough and downright embarrassing watching him chase in pass coverage.

Antoine, tackles well, but for the $$$, I want a guy with Considerably better ball skills.

Castonzo, I don`t know what his problem was but he was slow off the snap and had Luck in trouble constantly. I suggested several times his ankle may not be 100%.

Link, did start to play some OK guard. Sowell was worse then him at tackle is his good thing. Definitely like to have a better backup tackle that could play LT in a pinch.

D Brown couldn`t get playing time his 1st 2 years because he couldn`t pass block. Ballard is that bad too. A Big team Issue going forward.

Big hope that Mathews and Moala are beat out and gone.

Satelle- Big Hopes we draft his replacement in this draft.

First I think this will happen.    And second I think this is a potentially a great get.    This kid has talent and I have always felt a change of scenery does wonders for a person's attitude.    

Going from the doom, gloom, uncertainty, negative atmosphere of the Raiders to the positive vibe of the Colts will do this kind of player wonders.       This team brought in a boat load of refugees last season and nearly all bought what this team was selling because this team has LEADERSHIP.    And a positive outlook.   

This guy could be BIG in a Colt uni.   Esp if Indy can get a ground game going.    LOOKOUT...   I am really excited for this O.   

Getting open on very short routes has every thing to do with "quickness" and nothing to do with straight line speed.  

Wayne is playing great ball.   He does not need blazing speed to play WR as long as he keeps a quick first step and runs great routs.   He is a possession WR at this point in his career.     Thus the need for a "burner" opposite him.

First I think this will happen.    And second I think this is a potentially a great get.    This kid has talent and I have always felt a change of scenery does wonders for a person's attitude.    

Going from the doom, gloom, uncertainty, negative atmosphere of the Raiders to the positive vibe of the Colts will do this kind of player wonders.       This team brought in a boat load of refugees last season and nearly all bought what this team was selling because this team has LEADERSHIP.    And a positive outlook.   

This guy could be BIG in a Colt uni.   Esp if Indy can get a ground game going.    LOOKOUT...   I am really excited for this O.   

I agree 100 percent. The guy has talent never had a great QB and the black hole got him. I think he will be a amazing receiver for us and a instant upgrade

On a 1 year low risk,  "prove it" deal, this makes alot of sense. 

We need a guy to take the top off a defense, and DHB needs a guy not named JaMarcus Russell/ Carson Palmer (old crappy edition)/ Terrell Pryor to toss him an accurate ball. 

We need each other, A signing should take place IMO. 

I agree with many on here that DHB has not nearly lived up to expectations thus far... and that he has not really had very good opportunities to grow, either...

I think that he is a good fit for our offense, though... While he does have problems with his hands, he will provide a good decoy and deep threat... he's also good with the ball in his hands, meaning that we can hit him on short routes and he (and Hilton) can make something happen... he has good size for throwing blocks in the run game, but I don't know how willing a blocker he is... I'm not sure what his stat line would look like, but I think his skill set makes the offense better...

Probably not the future #1 we all want, but a good fit nonetheless... so long as we don't break the bank to sign him...

I coached Cordarrelle for 2 years in a pop warner level league. He is the best player I have coached in 25 years. Kayo Simpson was one of my players who played for Buffalo. I coached Stephon Gilmore for one year and he now plays for Buffalo. I would love for Cordarrelle to play for the Colts but we do not draft high enough to get him.

I have watched Cordarrelle Patterson all year long, at least he can catch the ball.!!!