Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doesn't look like our offense will be changing *THAT* much.

Indyfan4life

The National Football Post's Dan Pompei reports new Colts OC Pep Hamilton is trying to adapt to as much of Bruce Arians' offense as possible.

Hamilton is "trying to minimize changes" and "make it easier" on his younger players while sticking with what worked so well in 2012. We still expect more West Coast tendencies to be implemented by Hamilton, but keeping the offense as vertical as possible is good news for the fantasy prospects of Andrew Luck and especially second-year burner WR T.Y. Hilton.

Source: National Football Post Mar 24 - 8:49 AM

This intrigues me. Does it still mean a lot of 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB sets?

Fine with me. Familiarity would seem to be key for success this year. We don't want to treat Luck to a dose of what Alex Smith went through. 

Moreover..... Our offense was fine, it just needed better execution. Changing the scheme would betray any sense of stability. 

This regime is smart. Grigson & Pagano ain't no chumps, aye? 

I agree keeping it similiar and throwing in a few west coast concepts will be nice, I think our biggest problem last year was keeping Luck upright and the fact he was asked to throw the ball way to much.  Either way I am very excited about this team moving forward I think we are poised to take control of the division once again.

GO COLTS

I expected as much. We certainly were not going to just see a photocopy of Stanford's offense. More time in the pocket and an improved running game would have made Arians' offense a lot more dangerous last year. Hopefully we get as much this year.

Sounds like either there is an article thats not being posted or Pompei is trying to convert an opinion into a fact? Did Pep do an interview with them? either way I am hoping for a mix of both short to intermediate passes mixed in with the running game and taking some timely shots down field

Everyone is so high on Whalen... I REALLY hope he can do something for us. Otherwise it's just Wayne and Hilton...

As far as proven players, true. Brazil shows some promise and the coaches seem to be high on Palmer for some reason. But then again, Sambrano was getting rave reviews in the OTAs and he didn't even make the team.

I expect Fleener to break out this year.

I'm sure Reggie is good with this. :-)  I believe he openly stated that he wasn't thrilled with learning a whole new offense.  I liked our offense last year but thought we looked downfield too much and that we sometimes took ourselves out of some good drives by not being able to check down or go underneath.  Hopefully we'll see Andrew have more chances for doing

that this year.

The running game was so sporatic...this year it should be much better  I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing

what DB can do with a better line which will hopefully be able to open more holes (let the Donald haters come out in droves).

Everyone is so high on Whalen... I REALLY hope he can do something for us. Otherwise it's just Wayne and Hilton...

Diid you miss Whalens pre seasons games? He looked really good out there in his route running ,coming back to the ball,great hands ,took hard very hard hits held the ball.And he knows Peps Offense and Arians like Luck and Fleener

I guessing Pompei doesn't really know.....and we won't either until camp starts.

I am not sure that Pep knows yet :)

One thing is for sure, we will see more 2 and 3 step drops..play action....run after catch.  I am still looking for more designed roll-outs and some Stanford bootlegging.  Lastly...the TE is the most dangerous position in football, and we have the right QB to make our TEs PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER 1 in the  :nfl:  !!!!!  Throw in a dash of Wayne....a splash of TY......and a few 10 yard end zone dives by Ballard...We may win a game or two...and get some perfect Olympic scores. :spit: ..except for the darned Russian judge. :scoregood: ????   :scorebad: ( :censored2: Russian Judge)

GO  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

Diid you miss Whalens pre seasons games? He looked really good out there in his route running ,coming back to the ball,great hands ,took hard very hard hits held the ball.And he knows Peps Offense and Arians like Luck and Fleener

It's still hard to put stock into someone from a pre season game, especially after he gets put on IR.

I am not sure that Pep knows yet :)

One thing is for sure, we will see more 2 and 3 step drops..play action....run after catch.  I am still looking for more designed roll-outs and some Stanford bootlegging.  Lastly...the TE is the most dangerous position in football, and we have the right QB to make our TEs PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER 1 in the  :nfl:  !!!!!  Throw in a dash of Wayne....a splash of TY......and a few 10 yard end zone dives by Ballard...We may win a game or two...and get some perfect Olympic scores. :spit: ..except for the darned Russian judge. :scoregood: ????   :scorebad: ( :censored2: Russian Judge)

GO  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

I'm with you, Brent....   use the tight end properly and you can open up the rest of the offense in ways you might not have thought possible....     I think the Allen/Fleener combo is a potentially winning combination for the Colts.    

You see how good NE uses Gronk and Hernandez...    they make that offense go....    Baltimore does it with Pitta and Dickson.    SF did it with Davis and Walker...   now, they'll draft someone else to replace Walker.

Our guys can do the same for us....     it's a great weapon....   we need to use it...

Nonsense. Pompei is parsing. What's Pep gonna say: "Yeah, I'm coming in & flipping over the table!" ?

We're switching to a West coast Offense that'll reflect what Stanford was running when Luck was there. The only difference is we have real WRs and not mid-tier guys (like they had). So that capability and the resulting plays will be there. But make no mistake, the brief Arians era is gone.

Pep and Luck can get together and compile their favorite plays from both systems...plays that worked and plays that Andrew feels the most comfortable in. A true hybrid just like our defense. We are building the hybrid monster.

West Coast Offense isn't just plays. It is how you practice, how you prepare, it is a culture unto itself.

That is now in Indy.

A few plays from Arians playbook that worked will probably be added....but this isn't a 50/50 play calling split.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to such statements made in March. I would be very surprised if much of the mad bomber offense survives given Pep's background -- and that's a good thing. Luck eventually would have benn killed in the Arians offense.

We cant get obcessed with establishing the run.

Every time Andrew Luck hands the ball off on first down we're doing the other team a favor...

I would like to see us continue to throw the ball 35-40 times a game...

....playig indoors and against warm weather division rivals...we must always be a pass first team...

..and we have an elite QB (in the making) and we have two prolific recivers and two potential-packed tight ends..

..all I want us to change is to throw to the halfback more

I agree keeping it similiar and throwing in a few west coast concepts will be nice, I think our biggest problem last year was keeping Luck upright and the fact he was asked to throw the ball way to much.  Either way I am very excited about this team moving forward I think we are poised to take control of the division once again.

GO COLTS

I agree with your comment. The Colts offense was great considering a patch work O-Line.  If the O-Line can protect Luck and run block the Colts offense will be just fine.

We cant get obcessed with establishing the run.

Every time Andrew Luck hands the ball off on first down we're doing the other team a favor...

I would like to see us continue to throw the ball 35-40 times a game...

....playig indoors and against warm weather division rivals...we must always be a pass first team...

..and we have an elite QB (in the making) and we have two prolific recivers and two potential-packed tight ends..

..all I want us to change is to throw to the halfback more

I think throwing the ball 35-40 time a game is way too much.  If the Colts had a good running game Luck's interceptions would go way down. We have seen what chucking the ball all the time will get you. It gets you into the playoffs but without a tough running game it hampers you in the playoffs. If my memory serves me we won a super bowl when the running game was working and the QB didn't have to carry the team on his back. The better the running game is the more wins in cold weather also. 

I'm sure Reggie is good with this. :-)  I believe he openly stated that he wasn't thrilled with learning a whole new offense.  I liked our offense last year but thought we looked downfield too much and that we sometimes took ourselves out of some good drives by not being able to check down or go underneath.  Hopefully we'll see Andrew have more chances for doing

that this year.

The running game was so sporatic...this year it should be much better  I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing

what DB can do with a better line which will hopefully be able to open more holes (let the Donald haters come out in droves).

Hate to burst your bubble but from what I read Pags likes Ballard,after all he does have final say right? :funny:  :spit: Oh by the way im sure you seen DB play a lot in your area,but production speaks loud,Pags seen what I did,if there wasn't someone on him via blown assignment on OL,Ballard gets positive yards even if nothings there,this assessment by Pags as well as just saying hes downright tough pretty much sums up who our main back is

Hate to burst your bubble but from what I read Pags likes Ballard,after all he does have final say right? :funny::spit: Oh by the way im sure you seen DB play a lot in your area,but production speaks loud,Pags seen what I did,if there wasn't someone on him via blown assignment on OL,Ballard gets positive yards even if nothings there,this assessment by Pags as well as just saying hes downright tough pretty much sums up who our main back is

Not busting my bubble at all. DB was working with a terrible run O-line and I would like to see what he can do with a better line. I didn't say he had to be the feature back, just that I want to see how he does with the touches he'll get.

DB a VB styles are different in my opinion. I also think Ballard should be the feature back, BUT, I think revisiting a Dom/Adai attack would suit this offense well. I am interested to see if Pep has any thoughts on that happening.

Not busting my bubble at all. DB was working with a terrible run O-line and I would like to see what he can do with a better line. I didn't say he had to be the feature back, just that I want to see how he does with the touches he'll get.

DB a VB styles are different in my opinion. I also think Ballard should be the feature back, BUT, I think revisiting a Dom/Adai attack would suit this offense well. I am interested to see if Pep has any thoughts on that happening.

DB has talent,and can help this team,my biggest knock on him is durability,if hes on injured list again this year,he probably wont be with us after this year.I was a big DB supporter but hes just not stuck around to make the contributions we needed from him

DB has talent,and can help this team,my biggest knock on him is durability,if hes on injured list again this year,he probably wont be with us after this year.I was a big DB supporter but hes just not stuck around to make the contributions we needed from him

I'm not disagreeing with ya' there. Hoping he comes back strong and stays healthy. If the run game improves beyond last year's accomplishments this team will be an offensive juggernaut.

I'm ready for the season to begin right now and we haven't even done the draft yet.

I'm not disagreeing with ya' there. Hoping he comes back strong and stays healthy. If the run game improves beyond last year's accomplishments this team will be an offensive juggernaut.

I'm ready for the season to begin right now and we haven't even done the draft yet.

Well with the OL being upgraded some,still room for improvement ,its bound to be improved,Im with ya ready to get this thing started :thmup:

I would be extremely happy if ALL backs that end up on roster are serviceable ..behind a solid line.  As we know it takes one play for someone to be rendered OUT..I will support our boys whether it is Ballard, Brown or Santa Claus running the ball.....I hear his 'presents' (or is that presence) on the field bring joy to the Colts world.....HO HO HO.ME cooking at Lucas Oil   Sorry guys I am in the Christmas spirit with our 8 inches of snow and cool drifts.....

stock-illustration-11342493-santa-claus-

I would be extremely happy if ALL backs that end up on roster are serviceable ..behind a solid line.  As we know it takes one play for someone to be rendered OUT..I will support our boys whether it is Ballard, Brown or Santa Claus running the ball.....I hear his 'presents' (or is that presence) on the field bring joy to the Colts world.....HO HO HO.ME cooking at Lucas Oil   Sorry guys I am in the Christmas spirit with our 8 inches of snow and cool drifts.....

stock-illustration-11342493-santa-claus-

Yes Brother Merry Easter to you as well :funny: