Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Curse You Jim Irsay.

Dark Superman

I know the talk and all the tweeting hype out a new wide receiver is as old as a rotten can of tomatoes, but what bothers me the most that after th deal died, Irsay couldn't at least inform the fan base on WHO he was targeting? I mean come on man! What a way to leave us in the dark.. I at least wanted to know what kind of player he was searching for.

But I'll give you my opinion.. On who I think it may have been..

A Boat? A Whopper? Hmm..

I'm think of a Dolphin and a guy who KILLS Indianapolis when we play..

BRANDON MARSHALL..

I know the talk and all the tweeting hype out a new wide receiver is as old as a rotten can of tomatoes, but what bothers me the most that after th deal died, Irsay couldn't at least inform the fan base on WHO he was targeting? I mean come on man! What a way to leave us in the dark.. I at least wanted to know what kind of player he was searching for.

But I'll give you my opinion.. On who I think it may have been..

A Boat? A Whopper? Hmm..

I'm think of a Dolphin and a guy who KILLS Indianapolis when we play..

BRANDON MARSHALL..

First of all, you have no idea whether the deal died or not.

Secondly, the fact that he was tweeting hints in the first place was inappropriate, unprofessional and self-destructive. It you want to take issue with that, go ahead. Taking issue with the fact that he didn't extend it to an even more absurd level makes no sense. He isn't your buddy texting you his opinions, he's the owner of the freaking team. Every word he says has consequences for the organization, and NOTHING good was ever going to come of any of this. What would you like him to do, say "we were trying to sign _____ for ______, but he wanted ____________, and Grigson didn't think he was even close to being worth it. Now the _________ and the __________ are fighting over him - losers."

So now you've angered the player, his agent, and executives at two teams, while making EVERY other player, agent, and executive in the league so wary of dealing with you that Grigson never completes another trade or FA signing for the duration of his time here. Perhaps the team gets sued or fined in the process. But at least your curiosity got satisfied, that's the important thing.

Secondly, the fact that he was tweeting hints in the first place was inappropriate, unprofessional and self-destructive. It you want to take issue with that, go ahead. Taking issue with the fact that he didn't extend it to an even more absurd level makes no sense. He isn't your buddy texting you his opinions, he's the owner of the freaking team. Every word he says has consequences for the organization, and NOTHING good was ever going to come of any of this. What would you like him to do, say "we were trying to sign _____ for ______, but he wanted ____________, and Grigson didn't think he was even close to being worth it. Now the _________ and the __________ are fighting over him - losers."

So now you've angered the player, his agent, and executives at two teams, while making EVERY other player, agent, and executive in the league so wary of dealing with you that Grigson never completes another trade or FA signing for the duration of his time here. Perhaps the team gets sued or fined in the process. But at least your curiosity got satisfied, that's the important thing.

Decaf?

well last year he did keep tweeting about a big deal in the works and then two weeks later vontae davis was a colt. its the way irsay is, and believe it or not alot of fans who are not fans of the colts thought it was pretty cool that Irsay made it fun for his fans by doing so. me personally see nothing wrong with it. its all fun,especially if he is not breaking any rules by doing so which he is not or the NFL would have already cracked down on it. 

To me this is the problem everyone got their hopes up when Irsay put it on twitter that they were close to a deal.  That's not on Irsay he didn't say they had the deal done he just said they were close and then spent the rest of the night pretty much telling people that the deal was in damager of not going down.  People really need to pay attention to his word choice.  CLOSE.  Close does not = a done deal.  It means just that they were close to deal.  If both sides can't work out to remaining details then the deal doesn't happen even if they were close. 

Also like has been pointed out we have no way of knowing who the Colts were/are going after.  There has been so much wild speculation just thrown out there by the media and the fans that people got excited about players that were probably never were and have never been realistic options.  Also, everyone just decided it was a trade with not much to back that up only to have Irsay himself tell the world it wasn't a trade yesterday.  So that means it's a free agent signing.  So people took a look at some of the WRs out there and just decided they didn't really like them and just decided since it wasn't a trade for a super star WR that they wanted it some how meant Irsay lied to them or failed to get the guy he was originally talking about despite the fact we have already seen several times this off-season what the Colts view as a "must have" player might not match what the fans think as one.  For all we know Irsay might very well still pull off the move for the exact player he wanted.  However, if it's not a big enough name people on the forum are going to attack Irsay and say he was lying or it was fall back plan because it didn't meet their expectations.  The key here is that everyone is judging this on their expectations and going off wild fan speculation and less than creditable media speculation and taking that as fact.  People just need to cool their jets and wait and see what happens.  It could very well be the deal is dead but it could also be what Bob Kravitz reported and that is the Colts are just waiting for the player to lower his asking price. 

At the end of the day all Irsay is trying to do is let fans in on what is going on.  Keep in mind for years this very forum was full of people who loved to criticize Polian for being too secretive about everything.  So in theory Irsay is doing exactly what people said they wanted the Colts to do, be more open about what they doing.  Now it's up to us as fans to be able to handle our expectations and understand just because it doesn't happen right away or our definition of a big name player isn't reason to go off on Irsay.  We control our own emotions, not Jim Irsay.  Always remember that.  He can only get you as excited or worked up about something as you let him. 

Lastly for people who think Irsay's tweeting is hurting them.  Keep in mind this went up Saturday night.  It took till Wednesday afternoon for the media to find out it was a free agent and not a trade and that was after Irsay told the Star that and it's Thursday night and the media still hasn't figured out who the player is.  That's unheard of in today's media world.  That tells me if Irsay wants something quiet he knows how to keep it quiet.  He's only putting out there exactly what he wants out there. 

Yes.

Curse the owner who has brought us 10+ winning seasons 11 out of the past 13 seasons.

Are you kidding me!!!! We had 10+ winning seasons because we sucked so bad 12 or 13 years ago that we had the #1 pick and got Manning and then still sucked and got the #4 pick the next year and got Edge. That had nothing to do with Irsay but everything to do with where we picked. We were incredibly fortunate to get Manning and then Edge, now we have Luck which once again has nothing to do with Irsay.

Are you kidding me!!!! We had 10+ winning seasons because we sucked so bad 12 or 13 years ago that we had the #1 pick and got Manning and then still sucked and got the #4 pick the next year and got Edge. That had nothing to do with Irsay but everything to do with where we picked. We were incredibly fortunate to get Manning and then Edge, now we have Luck which once again has nothing to do with Irsay.

minus the fact that Irsay you know hired the guy who drafted Manning and brought him, Edge, and several other good players here. 

Also it was Irsay who made the call to release Manning which made room for Luck.  So yeah he did have something to do with that. 

minus the fact that Irsay you know hired the guy who drafted Manning and brought him, Edge, and several other good players here. 

Also it was Irsay who made the call to release Manning which made room for Luck.  So yeah he did have something to do with that. 

Wow, you sure are right, it must have taken a true visionary to see the obvious in all three of those situations.

Wow, you sure are right, it must have taken a true visionary to see the obvious in all three of those situations.

right and if he had gotten any of those calls wrong my guess is that you and others would be here screaming for his head and calling him an awful owner for getting the calls wrong. 

Also the idea that those calls were the obvious things to do has only developed out of hindsight after Irsay made the decisions.  If you don't want to give him any credit for anything fine.  You are one of the few who will not. 

Wow you would not want to show a nature program about the feeding habits of bearsharks!!!!!! That would be one messy show!!!!!!! haha

Not really...you see the gullet on that thing? It would just swallow like 50 fish whole, no messiness necessary.

your absolutely right and at the time manning over leaf wasn't a sure thing.  and edge over ricky williams was crazy but it worked.  i'd also like to point out that manning passing only to edge and thats the team no oline no receivers or defense is not what made this team great.  we had many awesome players on this team for years.  anybody who thinks irsay didn't have anything to do with at all is nuts.

right and if he had gotten any of those calls wrong my guess is that you and others would be here screaming for his head and calling him an awful owner for getting the calls wrong. 

Also the idea that those calls were the obvious things to do has only developed out of hindsight after Irsay made the decisions.  If you don't want to give him any credit for anything fine.  You are one of the few who will not. 

To me this is the problem everyone got their hopes up when Irsay put it on twitter that they were close to a deal.  That's not on Irsay he didn't say they had the deal done he just said they were close and then spent the rest of the night pretty much telling people that the deal was in damager of not going down.  People really need to pay attention to his word choice.  CLOSE.  Close does not = a done deal.  It means just that they were close to deal.  If both sides can't work out to remaining details then the deal doesn't happen even if they were close. 

Also like has been pointed out we have no way of knowing who the Colts were/are going after.  There has been so much wild speculation just thrown out there by the media and the fans that people got excited about players that were probably never were and have never been realistic options.  Also, everyone just decided it was a trade with not much to back that up only to have Irsay himself tell the world it wasn't a trade yesterday.  So that means it's a free agent signing.  So people took a look at some of the WRs out there and just decided they didn't really like them and just decided since it wasn't a trade for a super star WR that they wanted it some how meant Irsay lied to them or failed to get the guy he was originally talking about despite the fact we have already seen several times this off-season what the Colts view as a "must have" player might not match what the fans think as one.  For all we know Irsay might very well still pull off the move for the exact player he wanted.  However, if it's not a big enough name people on the forum are going to attack Irsay and say he was lying or it was fall back plan because it didn't meet their expectations.  The key here is that everyone is judging this on their expectations and going off wild fan speculation and less than creditable media speculation and taking that as fact.  People just need to cool their jets and wait and see what happens.  It could very well be the deal is dead but it could also be what Bob Kravitz reported and that is the Colts are just waiting for the player to lower his asking price. 

At the end of the day all Irsay is trying to do is let fans in on what is going on.  Keep in mind for years this very forum was full of people who loved to criticize Polian for being too secretive about everything.  So in theory Irsay is doing exactly what people said they wanted the Colts to do, be more open about what they doing.  Now it's up to us as fans to be able to handle our expectations and understand just because it doesn't happen right away or our definition of a big name player isn't reason to go off on Irsay.  We control our own emotions, not Jim Irsay.  Always remember that.  He can only get you as excited or worked up about something as you let him. 

Lastly for people who think Irsay's tweeting is hurting them.  Keep in mind this went up Saturday night.  It took till Wednesday afternoon for the media to find out it was a free agent and not a trade and that was after Irsay told the Star that and it's Thursday night and the media still hasn't figured out who the player is.  That's unheard of in today's media world.  That tells me if Irsay wants something quiet he knows how to keep it quiet.  He's only putting out there exactly what he wants out there.

Someone let me know if they read this.

Yes.

Curse the owner who has brought us 10+ winning seasons 11 out of the past 13 seasons.

You make a very compelling argument CWS.  :thmup:  I've made no secret of my dislike for Jim Irsay's cryptic tweets & his "And Um" public speaking fall back mechanism that makes me either laugh & roll my eyes or hang my head in bewildered agony sometimes. But, at the end of the day, Jim is a very nice person who has a great rapport with all his fans across the globe so I can look past whatever minor & trivial issues I might occasionally express regarding our fantastic owner. 

oh, is that how it works? the colts regularly drafted in the top 10 before old man irsay died. early draft picks don't always turn into success on the field. ask the browns

So success in the NFL is soley down to where you draft and derived from that the talent you can sign? Doesn't matter about the FO you assemble? How do you explain someone like the Raiders or the Browns?

I can't speak from direct experience but I'm aware Irsay was a pretty poor GM, but since he stood back he's done well in who he has hired to run the ball club and not only that he's not been afraid to make some tough decisions that might not prove popular with the fanbase. 

Yes he's an acquired taste but really there's far worse people out there who could be the owner. 

The only negative I see in Irsay posting tweets about eventual deals being done, is that the excitement he expresses in his tweets may drive up the asking prices of either free agents or trade partners. In doing such, killing good deals and the organization not getting who they want. I hadn't heard anything about the Colts looking for a change at safety, then BOOM! We sign Landry and release a guy Pagano wanted from Baltimore just a year before. Maybe if we hadn't heard anything at all, we'd be celebrating the new acquisition.

On a side note, Irsay is a very competent and capable owner. He deserves credit for where the team has progressed to in recent history. Jim has brought in some of the best GM's and coaches in the league. We're lucky to have him as our team owner. It could be a guy like in Dallas after all.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 23, 2013 - rude
Hidden by Nadine, March 23, 2013 - rude

You're clueless.