Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worst Colts Free Agent Signings Of All Time.

Dark Superman

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if you are joking or not but Jeff George set this franchise back till the time Harbaugh came in that hurt us more than Painter did and that was the top overall pick rather than a late sixth rounder who really had no expectations to do great things when he was drafted. 

That's not his fault, that is the fault of the front office. Painter was by far worse than George, Imagine if Painter was at the helm for the same amount of time George was?

Well, that non-recovery in the super bowl puts him up pretty high on my list.

Meh I look at the overall picture of what is expected of a guy in this scenario, Very little was expected of Baskett, he didn't disappoint

That's not his fault, that is the fault of the front office. Painter was by far worse than George, Imagine if Painter was at the helm for the same amount of time George was?

I disagree with that it absolutely was partly Geoge's fault.  The guy was just not nearly as good as the Colts thought he would be when he was drafted which is why the Colts were more than willing to part ways with him when they did.  George has even admitted he was not mature enough when he was here.  Painter was a sixth round pick he did not have anything close to the expectations around him that a first overall pick did.  Painter was drafted to be a cheap back up QB he was never viewed as a guy who could be a starter which is why the Colts tried to go get a starter when it was clear they were going to be without Manning.  The Colts only went to him because Collins was THAT bad. 

I know it sounds conspiracy-like, but I really doubt Collins was knocked out for the whole season with a concussion. They probably just realized that he was going to do terrible so they decided to move on, and that is the reason they gave. Though Painter sucked and they kept him for a while. He looked okay the first few weeks, but got progressively worse.

Easily Corey Simon. Zero production and a huge cap hit. Maybe followed by Fred Young because he cost 2 1st round picks if I remember right.

Don't forget Fred Young 4 time pro bowl linebacker  for Seattle,flop in Indy

That was a trade. Arguably the worst trade in franchise history, but a trade non-the-less.

I remember arguing with a friend when it happened because of the "pro bowl" recognition. I had never heard of the guy. Looked it up and realized that his pro bowls (and there is no way in heck there were four of them) were for special teams play. I'm not sure that he even STARTED for the Seahawks. Just utterly ridiculous in every respect - like virtually everything that the Colts did during that era.

George was clearly a far superior player than Painter, but Painter was far superior to many others who slipped on and off of the roster over the years without being good enough to even get a chance to play much. Talking about "the worst" in terms of pure talent is a pointless exercise because anyone who gets on the field has got something going for them. I think that the context was worst "relative to expectations".

Expectations are important to you, aren't they? We've often argued because you feel that the :goat: failed to meet your expectations. So what expectations did you have for Painter exactly? Personally mine were pretty darn low.

What were your expectations for George? Considering how disappointed you are with Peyton, I would think that the mere mention of George's name would be enough to give you seizures.

Meh I cant put Baskett in anywhere close to Simon, Baskett only had one mediocre year in Philly so I wasn't expecting much, Didn't disappoint

Both were awful so I won't argue who is worse.  When Simon was healthy nobody could move him....nobody.  The guy's thighs were bigger than a back hoe!  If he was in this year's draft he would be in a Line up with Jessie Williams for Mon-Star of the year....and you and I would be salivating at a shot to pick him up to demand the double team

I was going to compare Simon's 2005 numbers to Dwight Freeney's last 2 year here.  Numbers other than sacks actually better...Freeney made some serious dough for nuttin.....

Baskett......well uh...Baskett......NEEEEEEW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woAvvuYd-Yg

That was a trade. Arguably the worst trade in franchise history, but a trade non-the-less.

I remember arguing with a friend when it happened because of the "pro bowl" recognition. I had never heard of the guy. Looked it up and realized that his pro bowls (and there is no way in heck there were four of them) were for special teams play. I'm not sure that he even STARTED for the Seahawks. Just utterly ridiculous in every respect - like virtually everything that the Colts did during that era.

I think it was a FA signing of a player with the franchise tag. So still a FA signing.

Easy  Tony Mandarich  Hugh flop

Tony Mandarich was a flop for the Packers but not the Colts. He was a cheap FA acquisition for the Colts and played pretty well for several seasons. I don't recall which position Hugh Flop played though.

Meh I look at the overall picture of what is expected of a guy in this scenario, Very little was expected of Baskett, he didn't disappoint

He disappointed every Colt fan who ever was a Colt fan!  

Anybody who watched Simon play thought he was one immovable object until injuries....and he lost his 'head' in a football sense.

Not quite sure why everyone is using Meh all the time either.  These are peoples own opinions....Oh well...I will do it too...MEH!

Ponyboy is correct - Mandarich was a decent player for us; NOT a flop for us in any way. Someone mentioned Fredd Young - we gave up two #1's for basically a special teams guy. The other from long ago that I don't think anyone but me remembers is Walter Murray. I forget how we got him, but he was a flop. I only remember because I was so excited to get him and thought he was going to be a stud receiver - take off the "s" in "stud" and that's what we got.

bob sanders is right there with simon and young.

brackett, clarke, and hayden are worse than many of the ones mentioned. bad signings are ones that hurt the team long term with the cap, not ones that can be cut without any cap hits. 

Tony Mandarich was a flop for the Packers but not the Colts. He was a cheap FA acquisition for the Colts and played pretty well for several seasons. I don't recall which position Hugh Flop played though.

Hugh Flop played almost every position in the 80's and early 90's

bob sanders is right there with simon and young.

brackett, clarke, and hayden are worse than many of the ones mentioned. bad signings are ones that hurt the team long term with the cap, not ones that can be cut without any cap hits.

Those aren't bad signings, those were good players who got injured. Some of them were injured around the end of their contracts, unfortunately Bob was often injured though out his contract. Bob was just given too many chances to play out his contract.

Worst draft choice was close between George and Steve Emtman!!!!  FA's are tough since we signed so few that had any expectations coming with them.  Satele for me has been the worst in the past 10 years.  

I go with George because Emtman you can at least say he was hurt.  George was just not good here. 

Also Cory Simon was signed before the 2005 season that hurt us way more than Satele did. 

I go with George because Emtman you can at least say he was hurt.  George was just not good here. 

Also Cory Simon was signed before the 2005 season that hurt us way more than Satele did. 

I see people say Emtman.....big boy had some game before he was hurt....never will forget the the return TD...

off of dan marino no less

Rare size and speed for the time...right at 300 pounds.  I would draft him TODAY if we new he would be healthy...

I cannot find the video of Emtman to save my sole....then Treva Alberts was an injury nightmare too....I loved Emtman!!!

I think it was a FA signing of a player with the franchise tag. So still a FA signing.

Not true - I remember it well. . http://www.nytimes.com/1988/09/10/sports/sports-people-young-traded-to-colts.html

Where have you ever heard of two first round draft picks going as FA compensation? The most I've ever heard is one, and I thought that that only came on with a relatively recent rule change.

By the way, the reason that I remember it so well was that I detested the Dickerson trade as well, and this went hand in hand with it. The team was throwing away first round draft picks left and right with a "WIN NOW" mentality, when they didn't have remotely enough talent to justify the exercise. It was just a string of endless incompetency that had been obviously going on for years, and persisted up until the moment Bill Tobin was hired. It's pretty darn hard to pick "worst" of anything when there are so very many to choose from.

Rare size and speed for the time...right at 300 pounds. I would draft him TODAY if we new he would be healthy...

I cannot find the video of Emtman to save my sole....then Treva Alberts was an injury nightmare too....I loved Emtman!!!

Steve was the number one overall pick. we also had the second overall pick that year and drafted quinton coryott. and people here think polian struggled with draft picks..lol

Not true - I remember it well. . http://www.nytimes.com/1988/09/10/sports/sports-people-young-traded-to-colts.html

Where have you ever heard of two first round draft picks going as FA compensation? The most I've ever heard is one, and I thought that that only came on with a relatively recent rule change.

By the way, the reason that I remember it so well was that I detested the Dickerson trade as well, and this went hand in hand with it. The team was throwing away first round draft picks left and right with a "WIN NOW" mentality, when they didn't have remotely enough talent to justify the exercise. It was just a string of endless incompetency that had been obviously going on for years, and persisted up until the moment Bill Tobin was hired. It's pretty darn hard to pick "worst" of anything when there are so very many to choose from.

I was thrilled when I heard Fred Young was coming....that is why I have ZERO problem with the Colts going with reltive unknowns Sidbury and Walden....

Pagano has brought in guys we have never heard of and they make plays....GUY, HEARD,,,Freeman...sometimes the big names just do not fit...Good post MAC!  I remember Young well!

I was thrilled when I heard Fred Young was coming....that is why I have ZERO problem with the Colts going with reltive unknowns Sidbury and Walden....

Pagano has brought in guys we have never heard of and they make plays....GUY, HEARD,,,Freeman...sometimes the big names just do not fit...Good post MAC!  I remember Young well!

I WANT our GM to find people I've never heard of too. He's the talent scout, I don't pretend to be.

But for two #1 draft picks I'd darn well better have heard of the guy - unless I'd just been kicked out of the monastery.

Steve was the number one overall pick. we also had the second overall pick that year and drafted quinton coryott. and people here think polian struggled with draft picks..lol

Coryatt lived by me....got in a little trouble with his girlfriend...another athletic freak.  Body type and hitting at the time compared to LT...shame he was not a HUGE star.  Fast and could put a lick on ya!!!  Short...and not so sweet.... :)

I WANT our GM to find people I've never heard of too. He's the talent scout, I don't pretend to be.

But for two #1 draft picks I'd darn well better have heard of the guy - unless I'd just been kicked out of the monastery.

HA HA!  No monastery's for me...but the forum more than likely already knew that :)

Actually he was. That was the FA rule back in the late 80s when the franchise tag first started. If you signed the player and the team didn't match the contract, you had to give up 2 #1. They also had what was call a transitional(?) tag which you would apply to two players. If a another team signed that player to a contract that the current team didn't match, you would lose a #1 and a #3. I think that's how the Colts got Will Wolford from the Bills. I remember the Colts crafted a contract that couldn't possibly be matched (included a poison pill -- like a stipulation that the player had to be the highest paid player on the team -- poison pills are no longer allowed).

So, yes Fred Young was signed by the Colts as a franchised free agent.. and since they Seahawks didn't match, the colts sent two #1s.

Actually he was. That was the FA rule back in the late 80s when the franchise tag first started. If you signed the player and the team didn't match the contract, you had to give up 2 #1. They also had what was call a transitional(?) tag which you would apply to two players. If a another team signed that player to a contract that the current team didn't match, you would lose a #1 and a #3. I think that's how the Colts got Will Wolford from the Bills. I remember the Colts crafted a contract that couldn't possibly be matched (included a poison pill -- like a stipulation that the player had to be the highest paid player on the team -- poison pills are no longer allowed).

So, yes Fred Young was signed by the Colts as a franchised free agent.. and since they Seahawks didn't match, the colts sent two #1s.

Not a biggy, but now you have me curious. The FA rules you describe sound completely untenable, but I don't recall and haven't looked them up. That doesn't change the fact that they traded for Young. I've looked it up a few times in the past (when wallowing in my "I can't believe the Colts were such a horrible organization" misery).  I've never seen anything referring to him being a free agent. In fact the one I linked to earlier was a report of the trade as it happened in September - indicating that he had sat out game one of the season. Sounds like he held out and forced their hand. Wouldn't a free agent have just signed with another team before training camp? How do you hold out if you don't have a contract? Try this one: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20111115/sports/711159999/-1/rss04

"After the 1987 season, Young was looking for a payout of his own. The Seahawks were on the verge of being sold, and Young later maintained that general manager Mike McCormack told him the team did not want to sign off on any more long-term contracts while the sale was being consummated. Young then asked to be traded, and the Seahawks honored his request."

Or the Seahawks website: http://blog.seahawks.com/tag/fredd-young/

"But the honor for best fourth-round pick in franchise history goes to Fredd Young – a linebacker from New Mexico with the second “d” in his first name that he explained stood for defense.

Young was selected in 1984 and made the Pro Bowl in each of his four seasons with the team – the first two as a special teams player, the last two as a linebacker. He led the team in tackles three consecutive seasons (1985-87), before being traded to the Colts for a pair of first-round draft choices.

So Young also was the draft choice that kept on giving, as the team used the first-round selections acquired for him to draft offensive lineman Andy Heck in 1989 and as part of the package to trade into the third spot in 1990 to take Hall of Fame defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy."

Oh, the pain................................. :P