Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worst Colts Free Agent Signings Of All Time.

Dark Superman

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a biggy, but now you have me curious. The FA rules you describe sound completely untenable, but I don't recall and haven't looked them up. That doesn't change the fact that they traded for Young. I've looked it up a few times in the past (when wallowing in my "I can't believe the Colts were such a horrible organization" misery).  I've never seen anything referring to him being a free agent. In fact the one I linked to earlier was a report of the trade as it happened in September - indicating that he had sat out game one of the season. Sounds like he held out and forced their hand. Wouldn't a free agent have just signed with another team before training camp? How do you hold out if you don't have a contract? Try this one: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20111115/sports/711159999/-1/rss04

"After the 1987 season, Young was looking for a payout of his own. The Seahawks were on the verge of being sold, and Young later maintained that general manager Mike McCormack told him the team did not want to sign off on any more long-term contracts while the sale was being consummated. Young then asked to be traded, and the Seahawks honored his request."

Or the Seahawks website: http://blog.seahawks.com/tag/fredd-young/

"But the honor for best fourth-round pick in franchise history goes to Fredd Young – a linebacker from New Mexico with the second “d” in his first name that he explained stood for defense.

Young was selected in 1984 and made the Pro Bowl in each of his four seasons with the team – the first two as a special teams player, the last two as a linebacker. He led the team in tackles three consecutive seasons (1985-87), before being traded to the Colts for a pair of first-round draft choices.

So Young also was the draft choice that kept on giving, as the team used the first-round selections acquired for him to draft offensive lineman Andy Heck in 1989 and as part of the package to trade into the third spot in 1990 to take Hall of Fame defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy."

Oh, the pain................................. :P

You know, I was going on memory and was convinced it as a UFA signing.. but now I'm not so sure after reading your links (and am a little concerned about my memory :()

I'm almost 100% sure the original rules of franchise tag required 2 #1s and the transitional tag required a #1 and #3 (and we acquired Will Wolford from the Bills as a transitional player by stating in the contract that he had to be the highest paid non-QB offensive player, which the Bills couldn't possibly match).

So, I stand corrected.. and congrats on your memory :)

You know, I was going on memory and was convinced it as a UFA signing.. but now I'm not so sure after reading your links (and am a little concerned about my memory :()

I'm almost 100% sure the original rules of franchise tag required 2 #1s and the transitional tag required a #1 and #3 (and we acquired Will Wolford from the Bills as a transitional player by stating in the contract that he had to be the highest paid non-QB offensive player, which the Bills couldn't possibly match).

So, I stand corrected.. and congrats on your memory :)

Please - my memory is horrendous. Any desperation on my part to prove my point was only to cling to the tiny hope that one thread of MY memory was still working. haha

I'm sure that you are right about the rules for Wolford. I looked it up, and he was one of the first guys to try it in 93 I think. I'm reminded that what we call free agency didn't exist in the late 80s (thus the 49ers endless success).

I found one more article on the "Mighty Fred Young" incident. He apparently was ticked off that the Seahawks gave rookie Brian Bosworth so much more money than him. He wanted to get paid and they wouldn't do it. Their loss was our, well, bigger loss. I can't say that I would have wanted Bosworth either by the way - not a great draft pick. . As much as the Seahawk's "won" the deal, it's not like I'd want to trade our past 30 years for theirs.

No, I'm not talking about this years additions!

Who do you guys remember as being a "bust" or a horrible free agent addition to the Colts who never panned out?

I will give you mine.

Simeon Rice! Dude looked like Rich Eisen trying to get the QB..

Who do you guys remember as being a "bust" or a horrible free agent addition to the Colts who never panned out?

I will give you mine.

Chad Bratzke and Tyroon Poole

I will give you mine.

I will give you mine.

Chad Bratzke and Tyroon Poole

bratzke was solid while he was here

The Colts traded for Young. Maybe the worst trade in Colts history. They gave Seattle 2 number 1 picks.

Yep, almost forgot this one too. That was an insane price for a guy that was All-Pro as a special teamer and not LB. I thought the Colt's were on the right track in the late 80's with a pretty good D(Bickett, Krauss, etc.) and a nice young offense with Chandler and Rison,and  also a good O-line  .Then for some reason they just had to have George, because he threw the ball 70 yards from his knees and killed his pro day, oh and he was also from Indy. Jim Irsay was GM back then, I bet a lot of posters never realized he held that position before Bill Tobin came to town. Irsay realized his limitations I believe and moved aside, he is a great owner in my opinion.

who was the qb we gave top dollar to from tampa bay in '95 who was supposed to start in front of harbaugh

i remember the guy had a great game against us the year previous. but he was horrible here because he was a statue behind our pourous oline 

the fact he was paid handsomely and i can't remember his name is all you need to know

Craig Erickson

I will give you mine.

Yeah, great career, but he was done before he got here. The Colt's really were hoping he had something left.

And let me counter that with the best FA colt ever signed  Eric Dickerson

And let me counter that with the best FA colt ever signed  Eric Dickerson

I disagree . He was good for a couple years, but the Colt's gave up a lot of  picks for him they could have used on younger players. He was good but his best days were with the Rams. The Colt's already had a good back Albert Bentley when they made that trade. Dickerson was better but enough to give up those picks, don't know. It did however put the Colt's on the national radar for awhile when he came.

That's not his fault, that is the fault of the front office. Painter was by far worse than George, Imagine if Painter was at the helm for the same amount of time George was?

Painter , it can argued, was the best thing that ever happened to the Colt's. We got Luck and another future of playoff appearances because he was so bad.

Yeah, great career, but he was done before he got here. The Colt's really were hoping he had something left.

Yeah but the Colts signed him for nothing out of desperation because Freeney was hurt.  It was just a hail marry.  I don't think there was major expectations it would work.  It was just kinda one of those hey let's try it we might get lucky type of things. 

Craig Erickson from the Buc's . Had a couple good years in Tampa, but was just terrible for a few games with the Colt's before Harbaugh took over.

Yeah he was a trade though.  Not really a free agent signing.  I am not sure what all we gave up for him but I know it was less than a first round draft pick so I would say the Fred Young trade still wins for worst trade.  That or dealing Hinton and Rison to get George in the 1990 draft. 

Yeah he was a trade though.  Not really a free agent signing.  I am not sure what all we gave up for him but I know it was less than a first round draft pick so I would say the Fred Young trade still wins for worst trade.  That or dealing Hinton and Rison to get George in the 1990 draft. 

OK, didn't remember it was a trade. Do remember the guy  was awful for a few weeks before  Harbaugh took over. I was pretty stoked when we got him too.