Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Donald Thomas OG (confirmed) (merge)

WSnotch

6'4" 305 Guard in a Man Blocking scheme who had questions as a drive blocker coming into the NFL? He has ALOT of proving to do before I like this signing, Did I mention the Pats rushed for a barely respectable 3.9 ypc last year with Thomas starting 7 games?

PFF had him ranked as the 4th best free-agent guard. 

"4. Donald Thomas

2012 Grade: +10.2
2012 Snaps: 616

Summary: Thomas has shown well when called upon in a backup role with the New England Patriots the past two years, and it may be enough to garner interest around the league. His last starting job was in 2009 when he graded at +5.3 as the Miami Dolphins’ right guard.

In 2012, Thomas showed his versatility by filling in at various times throughout the season. He got the nod at right guard in Week 2, posting a +1.6 grade before getting called upon to start at left guard five times in a six game stretch where he graded at +10.9. His ability to play on either side will only increase his value and he may be in line for a starting job somewhere in 2013."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/16/ranking-the-2013-free-agents-offensive-guards-and-centers/

Edit: Reading this I'm not sure its actually a ranking. Just 4th on their list.

Thomas played OK, but on an already stacked line. But signing a backup that is 5 years in the league going on his fourth team.... not an exciting or encouraging signing. We needed legit oline help and got bargain bin players.

Gosder Cherilus graded out as the 2nd best RT in football last year, what more do you want?

Thomas played OK, but on an already stacked line. But signing a backup that is 5 years in the league going on his fourth team.... not an exciting or encouraging signing. We needed legit oline help and got bargain bin players.

its true, he played on a stacked line...which is also why he was a backup... i guess team didnt want to over expend on OL

Gosder Cherilus graded out as the 2nd best RT in football last year, what more do you want?

Those grades are ridiculous. If you watched games instead of reading internet reports (which all conflict each other) you'd see this dude schooled regularly... and what kind of RT can't run block? get ready for frustration of "tackled behind the line" 

Those grades are ridiculous. If you watched games instead of reading internet reports (which all conflict each other) you'd see this dude schooled regularly... and what kind of RT can't run block? get ready for frustration of "tackled behind the line"

Gee I only watched him neutralize Mathis for 4 quarters in person, but whatever you say

i called this one!!!! 

yes, im bragging

Yep you did, pacolts56 also had him in his wishlist.

The key is that the quality show up on the field. A.J.Smith signed both Eddie Royal and Robert Meachem after letting go of VJax but we all found out quantity ain't quality by the end of the year when VJax outproduced both of them single handedly.