Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday regrets not pursuing undefeated season

ReMeDy

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147605/article/jeff-saturday-regrets-not-pursuing-undefeated-season

I knew this was eating up our players, and now we finally have a quote. You could see it on their faces as they warmed the bench on the sidelines. I remember Colts fans who bought tickets were infuriated. There were expectations we would pursue perfection. Not only did we fail; we gave up. It's fitting in Jeff Saturday's entire tenure as a Colt, this was one situation he touched strongly upon.

"I got out-voted (by management)."

^ I believe Saturday is referring to the chap in the bottom pic. Even Peyton Manning was visibly disgusted at "him" in the Superbowl. He haunts me to this day that I dare not mention his name...

caldwell3.jpg

The only thing I never understood was how Curtis was capable of playing.

If it was me I would have refused. I would not want to be known as the guy ruining the perfect season.

Didnt he throw a pick-6 or fumble on nearly the very first play? I remember the crowds boo'ed like crazy as he stepped onto the field.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147605/article/jeff-saturday-regrets-not-pursuing-undefeated-season

I knew this was eating up our players, and now we finally have a quote. You could see it on their faces as they warmed the bench on the sidelines. I remember Colts fans who bought tickets were infuriated. There were expectations we would pursue perfection. Not only did we fail; we gave up. It's fitting in Jeff Saturday's entire tenure as a Colt, this was one situation he touched strongly upon.

^ I believe Saturday is referring to the chap in the bottom pic. Even Peyton Manning was visibly disgusted at "him" in the Superbowl. He haunts me to this day that I dare not mention his name...

caldwell3.jpg

The gentleman in question is a hero in Baltimore. No super bowl without him.  The tossing of the 2009 undefeated season was another example of Colt's management outthinking itself.

The only thing I never understood was how Curtis was capable of playing.

If it was me I would have refused. I would not want to be known as the guy ruining the perfect season.

This thought has never crossed my mind. I doubt that he would feel that he was "the guy ruining the perfect season" by the act of stepping onto the field. He's a professional athlete, I assume that he was happy for the chance to be "the guy who completed the perfect season". The fact that he stepped into a buzz saw that he couldn't handle doesn't change the fact that every benchwarmer thinks he is a HOFer in waiting if he could just get the chance.

Perfect Season, we still loss the super bowl. I'm glad we didn't go undefeated, would've been like the Patriots smh

Regardless of the record, we lost the BIGGEST game of the year

Killed our mojo. We may gotten to the Super Bowl, but we were never the same team after week 16.

caldwell3.jpg

Great topic  ReMeDy!  You wanna know who I think "management" is here...GM Bill Polian...The real person that Jim Caldwell didn't want to ruffle the feathers of. When the team is on fire, don't mess with the Mojo baby! 

It still irritates me to this day. Yes, Jim Caldwell won a SB with the Ravens as DC & I am happy for him. I just hate it when people take the foot off the accelerator. Pedal to the metal full throttle ahead no excuses! Derail the train if you have to, but we are not slowing down. Attack, Attack, Attack. Regret is all about opportunities you never took advantage of & can never get back. Plus, a cut throat mentality by going for a undefeated season means confidence in the SB too. Don't diminish that crucial fact either. It matters darn it & yes I blame both Caldwell & Polian for that foolish decision....

It was Bill Polian's call...      that is just fact.

Caldwell was just fallowing orders..       NaPolian is gone...    Thank the Lord... 

I love what Bill did for this team but he just got way powerstruck.     It was time for change, and Irsay knew it.

I don't think Caldwell really had a say in whether or not to pursue the perfect season.  Irsay and Polian had been talking about resting starters for weeks leading up to that game if the #1 seed was clinched. 

Bill is on record as saying HE MADE the call.     Nobody wanted to quit...  except the guys not playing.

caldwell3.jpg

Coaches are not "management" ... 

Jeff is referring to Polian.

I think it was more of Caldwell's decision. He never knew what he was doing. I still can't stand this guy.

I may in the minority but I feel that if Dungy was there in 2009, I believe that not only would the Colts have gone for the perfect season, they probably would of gone undefeated in the regular season and won the Super Bowl. I honestly don't believe that Dungy would of got out coached in the Super Bowl. Nothing against Caldwell but he wasn't the caliaber of coach Dungy was and that has a trickle down effect on a team.

Polian also had a lot more control over the team with Caldwell there. I still believe that Dungy and BP didn't quite see eye to eye later on and that lead to Dungys "retirement". Still a big regret that both me and Jeff Saturday can agree with.

I wish Jim Caldwell would have followed such sound advice below:

"Confidence is contagious. So is lack of confidence." --Vince Lombardi.

"I don't believe in team motivation. I believe in getting a team prepared so it knows it will have the necessary confidence when it steps on a field and be prepared to play a good game." --Tom Landry.

"Conceit is bragging about yourself. Confidence means you believe you can get the job done." --Johnny Unitas.

"Confidence is a lot of this game or any game. If you don't think you can, you won't." --Jerry West.

Nice to see people getting past their hatred.

It has nothing to do with hatred WH; You either have confidence in your staff & roster or you don't. It's as simple as that. Sitting down...Laying down...implies zero confidence whatsoever. 

Don't blame the messenger...You either lead or you follow. Nothing wrong with that except when it comes to having the faith in your squad at crucial moments IMHO...

I remember sitting around with a bunch of friends and family screaming at the TV as to why the heck a team would possibly ruin an undefeated season due to mgmt/coaching being scared?

I wonder how many other teams that year (or any year for that matter) would've done the same thing if they were facing the same situation???????????????????

I definitely have always stuck with Sat/Manning's view on the situations.

It has nothing to do with hatred WH; You either have confidence in your staff & roster or you don't. It's as simple as that. Sitting down...Laying down...implies zero confidence whatsoever. 

Don't blame the messenger...You either lead or you follow. Nothing wrong with that except when it comes to having the faith in your squad at crucial moments IMHO...

Caldwell was NEVER in a position to lead.    Polian called the shots...     when Manning didn't.      

Polian has stated that Indy was resting players regardless of the situation.       Caldwell has nothing to do with it.

Manning and the rest of VET's could have revolted .....    but they didn't.    They just played good soldiers like everyone else.

Gee, as I recall there were about a half dozen Starters that were medically in BAD shape and that lead to the decision not to have Manning and our best players out there with all the backups.
 A difficult situation, but CLEARLY a decision based on the best chance to do what was in the best interest of winning the SB. It couldn`t be more SIMPLE!
 To not get it, is poppycock.

No way Jim Caldwell got a Vote as to who played that day.
 That decision would have been weighed by Irsay, Polian, and the Drs., with Irsay agreeing with what was likely Polians recommendation. JMO

Caldwell was the puppet but ultimately, Polian was the puppetmaster.

Caldwell was NEVER in a position to lead.    Polian called the shots...     when Manning didn't.      

Exactly Tark The Shark & John Dee! All you had to do was read "Polian's Corner" on Colts.com & watch Caldwell mimic that exact same talking points. I got into a minor disagreement awhile back with another blogger when a posted an image of a puppet on strings to indicate the real person in charge on the sidelines. I'm not blaming Caldwell here or inferring that he is a fool just that there was a chain of command & Jim Caldwell wasn't the top man in charge. Jim Irsay, Bill Polian, Tom Moore, Peyton Manning, & then Jim Caldwell...

Exactly Tark The Shark & John Dee! All you had to do was read "Polian's Corner" on Colts.com & watch Caldwell mimic that exact same talking points. I got into a minor disagreement awhile back with another blogger when a posted an image of a puppet on strings to indicate the real person in charge on the sidelines. I'm not blaming Caldwell here or inferring that he is a fool just that there was a chain of command & Jim Caldwell wasn't the top man in charge. Jim Irsay, Bill Polian, Tom Moore, Peyton Manning, & then Jim Caldwell...

He was like a dictator in a lot of ways. I remember the talks I had with my uncle (huge Colts fan) and he would call Polian," the ultimate spinmaster"

He kind of reminds me of Dick Cheney in that, Polian and Cheney both have a certain kind of conviction about their decisions and they know they are right and no matter what, they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Had Caldwell won a SB with Indy it would have meant nothing to his career.   

I am very happy for him getting his ring in Balt. and actually being given some solid credit for getting that O in shape.

It must be very satisfying for him.  

He was like a dictator in a lot of ways. I remember the talks I had with my uncle (huge Colts fan) and he would call Polian," the ultimate spinmaster"

He kind of reminds me of Dick Cheney in that, Polian and Cheney both have a certain kind of conviction about their decisions and they know they are right and no matter what, they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Like the Polian-Cheney analogy. Kinda shows that political figures and businessmen of the NFL share a lot more in common than people commonly see.

I may in the minority but I feel that if Dungy was there in 2009, I believe that not only would the Colts have gone for the perfect season, they probably would of gone undefeated in the regular season and won the Super Bowl. I honestly don't believe that Dungy would of got out coached in the Super Bowl. Nothing against Caldwell but he wasn't the caliaber of coach Dungy was and that has a trickle down effect on a team.

Polian also had a lot more control over the team with Caldwell there. I still believe that Dungy and BP didn't quite see eye to eye later on and that lead to Dungys "retirement". Still a big regret that both me and Jeff Saturday can agree with.

Dungy stated on SNF he would have, and all the evidence points to back him up. He never rested when we un-defeated. It wasn't until after the loss to the Chargers he rested us.

The gentleman in question is a hero in Baltimore. No super bowl without him.  The tossing of the 2009 undefeated season was another example of Colt's management outthinking itself.

I blame Bill Polian

I did'nt like Caldwell as a HC .  I was surprised at his success & will be curious to see how he does in 2013 . 

We lost our edge that day

IMO, when we rested starters, we lost that fourth quarter edge that helped us close out games. Guess what the score was when Matt Stover missed his FG, we were leading 17-16 in the fourth quarter in the SB.

We had several 4th qtr. comebacks that year in the fourth quarter starting with the 4th & 2 game vs the Pats, Dolphins 15 minute time of possession game, holding off the Ravens in a 17-15 game with a defensive turnover in the 4th qtr., holding off the Texans 35-27 after coming back from 17 down with a key defensive turnover in the 4th qtr., coming back to win 35-31 vs Jaguars on Thursday Night football in game 14.

I felt that defensive and mental edge was gone once we laid down for the Jets. None of our playoff games were 4th qtr. contests that tested us but the first real 4th qtr. test in the playoffs came in the SB and we could not step up to the challenge. Maybe it was Karmic with Freeney getting hurt. Then came 2010 where we were 0-4 in 4th qtr. comebacks till the geriatric Kerry Collins (who we would sign in 2011 ironically) fumbled a snap in a 20-20 game and we won the 10th game with a 23-20 AV game winning FG.

So, based on what happened prior to us resting the starters in the game 15 Jets game, and what transpired the following year, I can emphatically say that the heart of the players that plays a big part in maintaining a mental edge in close games was ripped a bit with us not even making an attempt to win with a good cast that day. The numbers prove it, IMO.

As much as it pains me to say, I don't think that was a Caldwell decision. He was under instruction from HIS management.

I think that was a Polian and Polian only decision.

And I think it created a GREAT deal of unrest. A great deal more than what little we know. More than we'll ever know. Sure, we made it to the Super Bowl, and that saves it from being a huge issue, but I think it affected that organization profoundly.

This is not new news I don't think.  EVERYONE regrets not going for 16-0...except for Bill Polian. 

Personally though, I blame Jim Irsay for that whole thing.  If you have EVERYONE saying "Let's go for it" and the guy in charge of your company says "NO," as the owner you have to step in and say "We're going for it!"  UNLESS, the owner agreed with the guy in charge. 

It's all moot because we blew the Super Bowl but I really think Irsay should have taken more heat, especially if we had won.  And I LOVE Jiim Irsay!

This decision was a major blunder for the 2009 Colts. It ruined their veil of invincibility . Sure they beat the Ravens and Jets in the playoffs, but a 16-0 team coming into the game against New Orleans would have had a psycological advantage. I think the Colts would have been more up for this game with history on the line at 18-0, versus a 16-2 team. I don't remember any significant injuries like the Ravens had this year when they played their second team against the Bengals in their last game. That would have been an excuse to rest a couple of players. However, if everyone was healthy, they should have gone for history. Polian is partially to blame, but the main blame should fall on Irsay. This was another example of him out thinking himself.

This decision was a major blunder for the 2009 Colts. It ruined their veil of invincibility . Sure they beat the Ravens and Jets in the playoffs, but a 16-0 team coming into the game against New Orleans would have had a psycological advantage. I think the Colts would have been more up for this game with history on the line at 18-0, versus a 16-2 team. I don't remember any significant injuries like the Ravens had this year when they played their second team against the Bengals in their last game. That would have been an excuse to rest a couple of players. However, if everyone was healthy, they should have gone for history. Polian is partially to blame, but the main blame should fall on Irsay. This was another example of him out thinking himself.

I think it definitely would have weighed in on the game. The Saints tried for perfection, and were stopped by the Cowboys. Then stomped by the 3-13 Bucs. They had weaknesses. We would have went in without weakness

Seriously how many teams win a game with 14:57 time of possession. IDC how bad the other team is. You should not win that game.  How many times has Belichick bowed to another QB? Never until the 4th and 2. We seemed indestructible all season. 

On the other hand in 2007 the Patriots showed their vulnerability to the Giants in week 17. No week 17 game against the Giants the Patriots are 19-0. I say this because 18-0 doesn't mean your indestructible. So us being 18-0 doesn't seem the tipping point for me. It's the fact everything went our way.

I know how Mr.J.Saturday feels... The Colts showed heart this year finishing the season with a win even though the Colts were already in the playoffs and risked injury but that's what sports players do, and the Colts should have at least tried, I thought back to the season of almost perfection, I too have a hard time saying that  i.d.i.o.t  head coach name. All I remember is his mess ups and I would like to forget it but I can't and that shows how much of a fan I am, especially Peytons reaction when the  i.d.i.o.t called a time out vs Jets and the shock and confusing look on P.Mannings face and the disgust on the being benched, was just sickening... And that second half on side kick at the SB by the Saints without that onside kick recovery the Saints didn't have a chance and momentum went their way and they knew deep down they were better prepared... You others might not agree and say it differently, but that is my take on that i.d.i.o.t coach...

Ps. I can say that at least that i.d.i.o.t coach learned and quit being to conservative play caller and just let Flacco play with plays like we all knew he could, being conservative in play calling cost him being a Super Bowl winning HEAD COACH...

I know how Mr.J.Saturday feels... The Colts showed heart this year finishing the season with a win even though the Colts were already in the playoffs and risked injury but that's what sports players do, and the Colts should have at least tried, I thought back to the season of almost perfection, I too have a hard time saying that  i.d.i.o.t  head coach name. All I remember is his mess ups and I would like to forget it but I can't and that shows how much of a fan I am, especially Peytons reaction when the  i.d.i.o.t called a time out vs Jets and the shock and confusing look on P.Mannings face and the disgust on the being benched, was just sickening... And that second half on side kick at the SB by the Saints without that onside kick recovery the Saints didn't have a chance and momentum went their way and they knew deep down they were better prepared... You others might not agree and say it differently, but that is my take on that i.d.i.o.t coach...

Ps. I can say that at least that i.d.i.o.t coach learned and quit being to conservative play caller and just let Flacco play with plays like we all knew he could, being conservative in play calling cost him being a Super Bowl winning HEAD COACH...

This is defintely the looks your QB should have on his face within 17 seconds of winning a game, right?

387607_273694169342649_1383272321_n.jpg