Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you move Reed or Bethea to SS?

UKColt13

I would say we just forget about Reed and sign(or draft) a real SS. I do not understand the logic of signing a free agent just to move a guy to play out of position. Doesn't make any sense to me, especially seeing how Reed is almost done with his career. I don't see it as a smart way to build a team.

Definantly Bethea.Not because hes not as Reed, but because i think Bethea is alot tougher than Reed. I mean, think about, How many timeslastyear did we see a defensive play with Bethea streaking into a gap in the line? Quite a bit. and actually, i think Bethea would be a playmaker at SS. Besides, Bethea is more comparable to Polamalu rather than Reed. and even though Polamalu is a FS as well, they have an agressive streak. Reed is more mental.

Neither one. And I'm a big Ed Reed fan but if he's looking for a "legacy" contract we need to avoid that...great as he is.

Strong Safety is a glaring need and our free agency signings and/or draft selections should include at least one legitimate SS.

With our cap space there is almost no reason we can't fix this properly.

If you want to fix the SS problem, taking a gamble on Bethea is not the best way to do it, a few players I would look at for SS 

Shawn Williams(4th choice)

Ray Ray Armstrong (provided he actually has his head on straight, I'd gamble on him in the 6th or 7th)(5th choice)

Cooper Taylor(2nd choice)

Shamarko Thomas although I cant help but think he is a future Bob Sanders waiting to happen (3rd choice)

Robert Lester(top choice for me)

This will likely all be a moot point, Zb will get another shot, he has 2 years left on his deal, Im looking at Utahs Brian Blechen in next years draft to, although I'd love to know if the coaches think Brandan Bishop could play SS, he has the size

Blechen highlights

:27 Seconds...Did I mention Bishop can hit to on top of his ball skills? 

If you want to fix the SS problem, taking a gamble on Bethea is not the best way to do it, a few players I would look at for SS 

Ray Ray Armstrong (provided he actually has his head on straight, I'd gamble on him in the 6th or 7th)(5th choice)

Shamarko Thomas although I cant help but think he is a future Bob Sanders waiting to happen (3rd choice)

This will likely all be a moot point, Zb will get another shot, he has 2 years left on his deal, Im looking at Utahs Brian Blechen in next years draft to, although I'd love to know if the coaches think Brandan Bishop could play SS, he has the size

Blechen highlights

I agree Gav. IMO drafting a SS is probably the best way to go on fixing that position. Signing Reed and moving Bethea is a bad idea IMO.

I would say we just forget about Reed and sign(or draft) a real SS. I do not understand the logic of signing a free agent just to move a guy to play out of position. Doesn't make any sense to me, especially seeing how Reed is almost done with his career. I don't see it as a smart way to build a team.

Nobody is talking about building a team around Ed Reed, we already use the system he plays in, you are exaggerating for effect.

Second, just because some young guys worked for us this year does not mean we need to avoid free agency like Polian always has, this is a different Colts team and the objective is not to go "younger" every year. We need a veteran leader on this defense just like we needed one on offense. You know how close we were to letting Reggie walk just for the sake of going "younger" that was a close call, we basically had to sign him as a free agent! And look what veteran leadership at the end of its career did for us, no way in heck we are in the playoffs without reggie, and if a wiley veteran is that important on offense imagine Ed Reed in our defensive scheme.

We do not have a plethora of draft picks this year, we don't even have a second round pick this year, if we force a pick like the Colts use too back in the Polian days with Ed Reed sitting in free agency I will be incredibly disappointed in Grigson and it could really set our defense back a couple of seasons. Our secondary has been our achilles heal this season alone with our Offensive line, and I see Ed Reed as a gift like the Bronco's saw Manning.

"Nobody is talking about building a team around Ed Reed, we already use the system he plays in, you are exaggerating for effect.'

Thats not exaggerating for affect thats being logical about gambling on Reed being able to play SS for a 1 year maybe 2 at the absolute most when we can draft 1 that can definitly play SS (while signing one in FA thats younger then Reed)

what your wanting is doing the same thing fans that want to draft a SS are doing gambling on a SS in the draft(but the entire draft is a gamble) only your doing it at an arguably more risky way, your taking a big gamble on a career FS to switch over to SS late in his career while paying him Ed Reed type money to do it, could he? probably but that probably would come at a steep price, 

Nobody is talking about building a team around Ed Reed, we already use the system he plays in, you are exaggerating for effect.

Second, just because some young guys worked for us this year does not mean we need to avoid free agency like Polian always has, this is a different Colts team and the objective is not to go "younger" every year. We need a veteran leader on this defense just like we needed one on offense. You know how close we were to letting Reggie walk just for the sake of going "younger" that was a close call, we basically had to sign him as a free agent! And look what veteran leadership at the end of its career did for us, no way in heck we are in the playoffs without reggie, and if a wiley veteran is that important on offense imagine Ed Reed in our defensive scheme.

We do not have a plethora of draft picks this year, we don't even have a second round pick this year, if we force a pick like the Colts use too back in the Polian days with Ed Reed sitting in free agency I will be incredibly disappointed in Grigson and it could really set our defense back a couple of seasons. Our secondary has been our achilles heal this season alone with our Offensive line, and I see Ed Reed as a gift like the Bronco's saw Manning.

1st of all, I never suggested anybody was saying build a team around Ed Reed and I'm not exaggerating anything. I'm making a simple statement, that to add a guy at a position that we already have filled by a good player is not a smart way to build a team. You would be moving a guy out of position either way and hoping they can be good with the move. 

Secondly, I am in no way shape or form suggesting we avoid free agency and if you knew anything about my posting history, that would be easy to figure out. I am suggesting that we utilize free agency in a smart and appropriate manner, instead of just throwing money around to players that don't really make a whole heck of a lot of sense, if one would simply analyze the roster and see what positions the money should be spent on, it isn't difficult to figure out.

Simply spending the money we have for the sake of spending it on positions and/or players that don't fit the system, isn't a need of highest priority, or buying guys for their namesake alone is a terrible and simplistic way to royally screw your teams future up for yrs. to come. Thank God we seem to have a GM that seems to have the right attitude towards free agency and won't spend our money where it don't need to be spent.

I don't think Ed Reed is playing for us in the first place. If it's possible I would draft Jonathan Cyprien(who's game reminds me of Ed Reed), and continue to play him in the box like he's already doing, and leave Bethea back at FS like he's been doing. I suppose we can go another year with Bethea but honestly I think we may even need an upgrade at his spot as well soon. We'll see what he looks like in his second year in the new scheme.

Blechen highlights

What about Thomas from Fresno? I reckon he might be better than most of them. Shamarko will have the measureables of a 1st rounder at the combine, but he didn't even play like draft day 2 guy. I'm a little iffy on him. Bob Sanders had 1st round talent and measurables, his knock was that he was short. 

Signing "Just a Name" REED to play SS? Hahaha! Maybe the Greatest FS of All-Time, who still Scares the Opposition!

Hmmmm! Bethea was not that great this year! JMO, he has always been better at Run Support than breaking up passes/getting Int`s. Anyone disagree with that? I would suggest Bethea would like the move/ NEEDS to be Moved. Would you rather have Bethea at SS or Zibby? I have No Trouble figuring that out!

IFFY at BEST that Grigsons Draft board hits on a Safety in rd 3 or 4. The player you draft after that is questionable to beat out Lefeged to even make the final Roster.

Reed wouldn`t affect us ONE IOTA long term. Zilch. NOTHING. Most likely a 1 YR deal, WHATEVER we pay him is Free for next year.

Actually, Grigson will be LOOKING HARD for 1,2,3 year deals to maintain CAP position to be able to re-sign HIS OWN draft picks going forward and our own FA`s.

Great REASONING then to sign players who know and thrive in YOUR System! Simple. Basic. You Play to WIN!! :)

IMO i dont think we should pick up reed as hes been talking about  retirement anyway.  and personally i think we should trade Bethea. Hes a free agent next year and hes not going to get resigned. Hes just too average. good, but about average. Plus and a BIG plus is what the Draft gave in QB's last year, its giving in DB's this year. for alot of other teams this draft is so-so and 2014 is the big draft, but for the Colts, this Draft is taylor-fitted for our needs. I really,really hope Grigson proves his invaluable worth yet again as the Best Exacutive in the NFL and take complete advantage of a draft full of riches in talent. GO HIGH OR GO HOME, GRIGS!!!! this is such an exciting Off-season for Colts Football. And for us fans that pay attention and have an obsession for the details of such an awesome game as football, I just want to fast-forward to Training Camp 2013 and see what we got!! like a kid at freakin' christmas, man! I have an OCD for makng mock drafts. And i'm ALWAYS wrong. But its fun and its Football. Cant beat it.

I don't think we will land Reed. His contract would be too much for as old as he is. We would not be building for the future. Signing reed would be building for next year.

The way I see it is that we can't fill all holes with young talent in one year. This way we don't use a pick on a safety this year and put it off for at least a year while still contending. I mean we will eventually get a good young safety but it doesn't have to be this year

For what it's worth.....

According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, "a lot of people believe" impending free agent Ed Reed will sign with the Colts.

Reed — who doesn't even have an agent — appears set to hire proper representation and hit the open market. Although Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti isn't certain Reed will even play in 2013, he admits it might not be in Baltimore if he does. Reed would be reuniting with coach Chuck Pagano in Indianapolis, who served as Baltimore's defensive coordinator from 2008-11. Safety was a major problem area for the Colts in 2012.

What about Thomas from Fresno? I reckon he might be better than most of them. Shamarko will have the measureables of a 1st rounder at the combine, but he didn't even play like draft day 2 guy. I'm a little iffy on him. Bob Sanders had 1st round talent and measurables, his knock was that he was short. 

Im thinking Brandan Bishop, I like Thomas but I like the size of Bishop, 6'2" much better for that position, much better ball skills to

If we signed Reed, I think it would make sense to move Bethea to SS. But I've been watching games from last season lately, and Bethea got punished by a lot of running backs and receivers when trying to make open field tackles. Maybe he'd be better playing in the box where he could fill lanes and such, but he isn't the kind of physical force I'd like for us to have in the box.

I'm thinking -- perfect world -- we sign Dashon Goldson, draft another safety, and let Bethea earn another contract in 2013.

If we signed Reed, I think it would make sense to move Bethea to SS. But I've been watching games from last season lately, and Bethea got punished by a lot of running backs and receivers when trying to make open field tackles. Maybe he'd be better playing in the box where he could fill lanes and such, but he isn't the kind of physical force I'd like for us to have in the box.

I'm thinking -- perfect world -- we sign Dashon Goldson, draft another safety, and let Bethea earn another contract in 2013.

This was my thought too. Which is why I said I don't think signing Reed is good option. I wasn't convinced that Bethea could play SS. Kind of undersized and not physical enough IMO.

Bethea is tenacious and knows how to find the ball carrier. I just don't think he has that "thumper" quality you ideally want from a strong safety.

But I do think we'd be better on the back end with Reed at free and Bethea at strong than we have been the past three years. Far better. I'd not the ideal long term solution, but I could see it working out favorably for us.

Bethea is tenacious and knows how to find the ball carrier. I just don't think he has that "thumper" quality you ideally want from a strong safety.

But I do think we'd be better on the back end with Reed at free and Bethea at strong than we have been the past three years. Far better. I'd not the ideal long term solution, but I could see it working out favorably for us.

Could be, but I just hate the thoughts of investing much in a 35 yr. old FS. If he would take a small contract(compared to what he's used to) then it may be alright, but I have seen a significant drop off in his play the last couple of yrs. and its only going to get worse. So I'm torn on this topic, I really like Reed, but I'm not sure we'd get what we paid for.

Thomas is far better. He's projected to go in rounds 2-3. Bishop is projected as a 7th rounder-FA on most boards. As for ball skills, Thomas led the country in INTs with 8.

He is very impressive no doubt and I'd like the pick just as much but Bishop is one heck of a player and way way way underrated, he can hit and has 12 picks in his career

Could be, but I just hate the thoughts of investing much in a 35 yr. old FS. If he would take a small contract(compared to what he's used to) then it may be alright, but I have seen a significant drop off in his play the last couple of yrs. and its only going to get worse. So I'm torn on this topic, I really like Reed, but I'm not sure we'd get what we paid for.

I agree on the pay part. If he came at a good deal I'd take him. Our pass defense would be much better. He would bring a huge amount of knowledge and skill. Add in chapman, moala, Nevis & McKinney to the line i think we would be muh improved over last year. Now if we could only stay healthy...

I agree on the pay part. If he came at a good deal I'd take him. Our pass defense would be much better. He would bring a huge amount of knowledge and skill. Add in chapman, moala, Nevis & McKinney to the line i think we would be muh improved over last year. Now if we could only stay healthy...

I have questions about Nevis. I honestly think he could be traded for whatever we could get out of him. I like the kid but honestly don't think he really fits anywhere on our defense. He would be a really nice pickup for a 4-3 team searching for a gap penetrating DT. He's too short to play a prototypical 3-4 DE and too small to play the NT. I know we hypothetically play a "hybrid", but rarely do we actually play a true 4-3 alignment.