Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians on taking just any HC position

Hoosier Colts Fan

Here's a great quote from an Arians interview with ESPN as to leaving INDY.

On why he and the Chargers haven’t set something up yet:

“I think all that’s gonna take shape. If Tommy wants to reach out and the Chargers want to reach out, we’ll listen. It’s just a timeframe — Chicago was the first ones to ask for permission. I’m going to give them the first interviews. … I have a great job in Indianapolis. It’s going to have to be a perfect fit for me to leave what we have done here, and not just to jump out to be a head coach. It’s going to have to be a perfect fit, and obviously my relationship with Tommy makes it a lot easier.”

Here's the link to the article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/70221/arians-keen-on-telesco-in-san-diego

Great knowing he would prefer to stay with us rather than take the wrong HC position.  I, along with Andrew Luck, selfishly hope that's what happens.  I don't think Jim (Irsay) would have any problem matching $$$ with whatever BA is offered -- so knowing he's only going to take the right fit makes me feel MUCH better.

Can't wait till next year!!!!!

I dont think he came to Indy to be here one year..and he's 60..

I dont think he;s going to be a head coach....now.

he has perfect situation...why seek out a losing situation...

Because....

(A)  he's always wanted to be a head coach.

(B)  he just proved he could do a good job as a head coach.

©  Pagano/Grigson just showed how fast things can change from what looks like not a great job to a fantastic job!

(D)  He's 60,  this is likely his best chance to do it.

Because....

©  Pagano/Grigson just showed how fast things can change from what looks like not a great job to a fantastic job!

I hope that he's satisfied that goal this season. 9-3 as a HC, woo hoo! I already have 2 Super Bowl rings... what else could I ask for?

Because....

yep, yep, yep and...yep

Now having read the rest of the article the OP posted the link for, I get the feeling SD hired Telesco in part to get Arians (plus he was deserving):

On if he’d be interested in coaching the Chargers:
“I would be now that Tommy’s [Telesco] there. I think so much of [the] success that teams have are great relationships between general manager and head coach. And it’s not who has control of the roster, it’s how do we get the best players? … I had the opportunity to work for 12 weeks as a head coach this year with Ryan Grigson and Tommy Telesco, and it was a fantastic relationship. And I wouldn’t want to work in any other situation as a head coach, unless it’s that type of relationship where nobody’s got a power player [and] we’re all in this together trying to win.”

Arians, just STOP playing with the organizations & fans emotions and just Leave. You know you're going to. Put in your Resignation Form to Irsay & Grigson so they can start looking for your Replacement already

I don't think he's playing with our emotions.  I honestly believe him.  Whats wrong with the situation he is in?  He's not a HC?  If he goes to another Organization he's "rebuild" process isn't going to be as easy.  Lets say he has an interview with the chargers and Rivers rubs him the wrong way.  Yet he has Luck back in but no HC position.  You can't fault the man for wanting to fullfill a lifelong dream.  If he was acting like either one of the Kelly's in the college ranks I could see your point being valid, but I'm sure if you ask any coach in the NFL what their career dream would be, it would be to be the head coach of a team.

I know it sucks being in limbo but don't be mad at him for thinking about fulfilling

I have the feeling he's either the HC for the Chargers or the OC for the Colts in 2013.

Agreed.  Could possibly set up nice in SD

his dream.

Now having read the rest of the article the OP posted the link for, I get the feeling SD hired Telesco in part to get Arians (plus he was deserving):

“I would be now that Tommy’s [Telesco] there. I think so much of [the] success that teams have are great relationships between general manager and head coach. And it’s not who has control of the roster, it’s how do we get the best players? … I had the opportunity to work for 12 weeks as a head coach this year with Ryan Grigson and Tommy Telesco, and it was a fantastic relationship. And I wouldn’t want to work in any other situation as a head coach, unless it’s that type of relationship where nobody’s got a power player [and] we’re all in this together trying to win.”

Yeah, that don't sound good for those of us that would like Arians to stay. Also sounds like he was talking directly about Bill Polian with that last sentence. I know he didn't work for Polian, but Telesco did and maybe he didn't have kind words about that relationship.

That's what I got from it. "Sure, I'll listen to other teams, but it's either San Diego or the Colts."

Flip a coin.

Couldn't agree more.  Every other team would be a serious downgrade. except for possibly Da' Bears but you have to deal with Cutler......

I'm hoping the brash and sometimes obnoxious Rivers gets on Arians nerves, and then Arians compares the two QB's together and thinks about who would be funner to work with :thmup:

Here's a great quote from an Arians interview with ESPN as to leaving INDY.

On why he and the Chargers haven’t set something up yet:

“I think all that’s gonna take shape. If Tommy wants to reach out and the Chargers want to reach out, we’ll listen. It’s just a timeframe — Chicago was the first ones to ask for permission. I’m going to give them the first interviews. … I have a great job in Indianapolis. It’s going to have to be a perfect fit for me to leave what we have done here, and not just to jump out to be a head coach. It’s going to have to be a perfect fit, and obviously my relationship with Tommy makes it a lot easier.”

Here's the link to the article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/70221/arians-keen-on-telesco-in-san-diego

Great knowing he would prefer to stay with us rather than take the wrong HC position.  I, along with Andrew Luck, selfishly hope that's what happens.  I don't think Jim (Irsay) would have any problem matching $$$ with whatever BA is offered -- so knowing he's only going to take the right fit makes me feel MUCH better.

Can't wait till next year!!!!!

He is just hedging his bets in case he doesn't get offered a HC job, or indeed doesn't like what he's been offered. Standard behaviour. I would read zero into anything he says at the moment. It's just posturing.

I'm almost willing to bet he will be in San Diego. He just spent a whole year with Telesco, San Diego already has an established qb in place who can throw the deep ball, offensive line isn't bad, decent running game, established wr, pro bowl tight end, talented defense with another Pagano coordinating. Sounds about like the perfect situation to me! Wouldn't take long to turn that situation around, especially after you add even more talent with the 2013 draft.

Arians, just STOP playing with the organizations & fans emotions and just Leave. You know you're going to. Put in your Resignation Form to Irsay & Grigson so they can start looking for your Replacement already

Not a quality post

“I would be now that Tommy’s [Telesco] there. I think so much of [the] success that teams have are great relationships between general manager and head coach. And it’s not who has control of the roster, it’s how do we get the best players? … I had the opportunity to work for 12 weeks as a head coach this year with Ryan Grigson and Tommy Telesco, and it was a fantastic relationship. And I wouldn’t want to work in any other situation as a head coach, unless it’s that type of relationship where nobody’s got a power player [and] we’re all in this together trying to win.”http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

If this isn't saying "I'm going to San Diego" I don't know what is.

Yeah, that don't sound good for those of us that would like Arians to stay. Also sounds like he was talking directly about Bill Polian with that last sentence. I know he didn't work for Polian, but Telesco did and maybe he didn't have kind words about that relationship.

It sounds like he was referring to A.J. Smith, although it certainly could have been Polian. 

I dont think he came to Indy to be here one year..and he's 60..

I dont think he;s going to be a head coach....now.

he has perfect situation...why seek out a losing situation...

I can't believe that you don't get why he would leave to be a HC. It is basic human nature. He said himself the other day you always want to see if you can lead a team with your own ideas.

I am sure he did not come the Colts with the idea of only being here a year. I am sure he thought the chance to be a HC had passed him by. But the circumstances that presented themselves showed he can be a leader. The league took notice.

If not now, when? You said yoursel he is 60.

I think he stays but if not I have a couple coaches in mind I'd like for Grigson to look at and see if he can get 1 to come our way

1.Brent Pease-West Coast minded O Coordinator for Florida, formerly O Coordinator of Boise State

2.Chris Peterson, current Boise State head coach-West Coast offensive minded

3.Robert Prince-Current O Coordinator at Boise State-West Coast O Coordinator I believe

Okay so I found this article that explains how this CFL Coach (Marc Trestman)might go to the bears, however, there still is a possibility that he might not.I also know that last year we had interest in Trestman for HC but we got Chuck instead. Read this article because it seems like this guy for every team hes gone to he has a helped the QB's and offense in a major way and maybe he could be a possibility for OC.

http://nachmanyfootb...tion/#more-1054

I think he stays but if not I have a couple coaches in mind I'd like for Grigson to look at and see if he can get 1 to come our way

1.Brent Pease-West Coast minded O Coordinator for Florida, formerly O Coordinator of Boise State

3.Robert Prince-Current O Coordinator at Boise State-West Coast O Coordinator I believe

No way Peterson leaves to take a job as a oc.

I don't think they will go with anyone with zero, or very little NFL experience

Love the coaches you listed there.   I work for BSU, so Chris Peterson will never leave.  He is an icon here and loves the university and city.  But I like where you are going.  That is what I want to see.  Not some retread that isn't innovative.

What I don't see much of in this thread is the posibility that Telesco likes someone more than Arains for this job. I not for 1 minute belive that SD hired Telesco to get Arains to come there. Araians , IMO, gave indications that he would be available for a head coaching job if the right one was offered. It was a magical ride for Arians and the 2012 Colts but this is still the same 60 year guy that is 1 year removed from being pushed out by the Steelers. My guess would be Jay Gruden.

What I don't see much of in this thread is the posibility that Telesco likes someone more than Arains for this job. I not for 1 minute belive that SD hired Telesco to get Arains to come there. Araians , IMO, gave indications that he would be available for a head coaching job if the right one was offered. It was a magical ride for Arians and the 2012 Colts but this is still the same 60 year guy that is 1 year removed from being pushed out by the Steelers. My guess would be Jay Gruden.

You are still a total * in my opinion , but you did get this mostly right.

Because....

I think he's better off here than any of the open jobs....Cant let your ego rule you.

Chicago is a death trap for coaches and Phily is even more brutal...

....He's mature. he should know that OC on a good team is better than HC on a failure...

Oh.......

Well I will say warhorse that you are a kinder and better person then I am. You are a nice man.

I hope it works out for Bruce too.

I, probably more than most anybody here, wanted him to stay and keep on keepin'  on. Alas, I saw the handwriting on the wall.  I'd really like us ( Colts ) to give Joe Lombardi his big break at OC after learning under Sean Payton and having this team and Andrew Luck at the helm.  Thanks Bruce... you only gave 1 year to Manning with the Colts as well...    ;)