Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is This Season A Success?

II COLD

We have double the wins of last year and if you want to go the Luck vs Manning route Luck is ahead in every major category at this point in their careers. A family member believes wins are wins but i feel that we are definately on the right track. And I firmly believe that no matter what our record looks like at the end of the year all the true colts fans should feel happy and excited for what the future brings. Am i too optimistic?

While I think we need to take it easy with comparing Luck to Peyton, yeah I think this season is a success.

We're a young team who is going to struggle to win games (but has the ability/talent too) who has a lot of potential in the future.

I fully expect us to be perennial playoff contenders again in 2-3 years.

I don't think you can call it a success unless we end with a winning record. If we don't then you can just say we improved, but fell short of our goals.

I understand that but we were projected to be one the worst teams and yet we have become a low middle tier instead of complete obscurity like the jags or chiefs. Our main goal was to get more wins than last year (we did) and create a good foundation for the future (we did) so how can it not be a success.

This whole "Luck to Peyton" comparison is so silly. As if we'll automatically be 13-3 next season because Peyton did in his second season.

I know they need something to write, but IMHO it's as ignorant as those who insist on comparing Luck to RG3.

Yes, this season is a success. It was a success as soon as we saw that Luck is the real thing.

I understand that but we were projected to be one the worst teams and yet we have become a low middle tier instead of complete obscurity like the jags or chiefs. Our main goal was to get more wins than last year (we did) and create a good foundation for the future (we did) so how can it not be a success.

Are you sure that was the coaches and players goals? Or is that what some fans are willing to accept?

I want what the players want for themselves. No player or coach ever wants to end with a losing record.

If it does, I'm sure they will say they had some improvements but they fell short of their goals.

Fans goals can often be different than what the players are shooting for. If that's what you're shooting for

just purely from a fan standpoint then that's understandable. As for me I'm setting my goals close to what the

players believe they should achieve. To each his own!

For me, this season is already a success. We have already some late game comebacks, especially the Packers game.

Also as the worst team in the league last year, the best most people would expect is you double your wins and we already have in week 7.

Even if we lose every game, this season is a success.

I want what the players want for themselves.

And that would be the Super Bowl. Anything less than winning the super bowl is a failure. Every team plays to win the game, not make small strides and get good draft picks. Anyone who has less aspirations is not thinking like the players, coaches or owners.

This season has been a success to this point. The goal of this season had to be to show improvement and to gain experience for all the young guys on this team. They took another big step yesterday winning a road game. They have already doubled last years win total and it's not even November. Luck has led 3 game winning drives, and led another go ahead drive before the D went to sleep against the Jags. He's made rookie mistakes like they all do, but he's the real deal and will only get better, especially as the talent around him improves. I said before the season i thought this team would win 6 games and i would be thrilled with that. I think they will top that now.

Absolutely. Given where we were before the draft, what the expectations were, and losing our head coach, the fact that we're a blown play away from 5-2 is astonishing. 2 of our wins have even come against winning teams.

The best part is we haven't come close to playing our best football for 4 quarters yet.

This whole "Luck to Peyton" comparison is so silly. As if we'll automatically be 13-3 next season because Peyton did in his second season.

I know they need something to write, but IMHO it's as ignorant as those who insist on comparing Luck to RG3.

Yes, this season is a success. It was a success as soon as we saw that Luck is the real thing.

Heckuva post.... Really.

Very well said. I'm on board. :thmup:

And that would be the Super Bowl. Anything less than winning the super bowl is a failure. Every team plays to win the game, not make small strides and get good draft picks. Anyone who has less aspirations is not thinking like the players, coaches or owners.

You must have been very disappointed in all but one of Peyton's years here then. We're not super bowl contenders by any means. But to see this team mature and make strides is a success because we will be SB contenders in the near future. But I see what you were saying..teams play to win the SB..if you don't get what your goal was..it's a failure..in some peoples eyes.

We have double the wins of last year and if you want to go the Luck vs Manning route Luck is ahead in every major category at this point in their careers. A family member believes wins are wins but i feel that we are definately on the right track. And I firmly believe that no matter what our record looks like at the end of the year all the true colts fans should feel happy and excited for what the future brings. Am i too optimistic?

To me the season is a success for far more than just that Andrew Luck has shown he's the Real Deal.

This team looks and plays like a well coached team. Even when we're getting blown out by Chicago and New York, at least we're playing hard. We're not phoning it in. We're young, and not overly talented and getting out-classed.

But I think we look well coached in all phases of the game. We'll look and play even better in the years to come as we get lots more talent up and down the roster. But I think we've seen enough to get a good feeling for our future.

The best is yet to come! :thmup:

I don't know how it can't be somewhat of a success. We went from 2-14 and are now 4-3 with 9 games to go, many of them very winnable. We've already proved we've got our franchise quarterback, proved Wayne has still got it, we've beaten tough opponents, are defense has given us a nice preview what is to come. We have have a healthy amount of money play with in free agency, and enough draft picks still to fill what holes we can't in free agency. Things may still not get much better next year, because our schedule may end up tougher and our holes may not be completely filled, but this season has been successful in at least showing we're headed in the right direction.

Everyone here considers success as number of wins or Luck surpassing Manning's rookie years.

In my reckoning indicators of success are:

• Chemistry
  • Play and performance (both O and D)
  • Consistency
  • Development

IF we can say yes, we achieved those point above, we can speak about season of success.

So far so good. I like what I see each Sunday. We are developing balanced playcalling, Luck is improving, however he was "as good as advertised", our D is getting better. There are still things to mend in upcoming seasons and draft, still we canot be unsatisfied.

since when is 4 wins a success? where is your pride colts fans. you dont tell somebody in the offseason that "yea we had a successful season man we won 4 games". Just look at the person's face when you say that statement

Under given circumstances, (I mean rookie QB, bunch of rookie players, bunch of new players, only few vets left, new coaching staff, new playbook) 4 wins and being 0.500+ can be considered as success at HALFTIME of the season.

However I think not the number of wins matters this season for rebuilding/reloading Colts.

Under given circumstances, (I mean rookie QB, bunch of rookie players, bunch of new players, only few vets left, new coaching staff, new playbook) 4 wins and being 0.500+ can be considered as success at HALFTIME of the season.

However I think not the number of wins matters this season for rebuilding/reloading Colts.

oh i read it wrong i thought he meant already a success as in if we finish 4-12 its still a success. but if your talking as of this moment then yea its a success

I just think that the two QB's Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck, obviuosly.. Can't be campared. As Manning could throw a ton, but ran like the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. Luck can break for a good run and throw a nice spiral but likes to thank the guy who tackles him or says good hit LOL.. Maturity. Our Team will be great.

I just think that the two QB's Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck, obviuosly.. Can't be campared. As Manning could throw a ton, but ran like the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. Luck can break for a good run and throw a nice spiral but likes to thank the guy who tackles him or says good hit LOL.. Maturity. Our Team will be great.

I think this is a mix of him respecting every aspect of the game and a lil bit of him honestly having a blast out there.

The goal for every team is to win a Superbowl. 31 teams fail every season.

That being said, if you at least improve upon the previous year it gives you something to hang your hat on. We've ALREADY exceeded last season and we're not even half way through!

Even if we don't make the playoffs, I'd say this year was a big step in the right direction.

Not a success and I am gonna be HOT if they get 7-8 or 9 wins and miss the playoffs and get stuck in the 20's in draft position

Well, 12 teams make the playoffs in a 32 team league so I would say missing the playoffs would make it pretty hard to get a draft position in the 20's.

The notion that the only way a season can be defined as successful is with a Super Bowl win is comical.

Let's get to 6 wins first. I think that is a good expectation for this young team.

That's the win total I felt was realistic going into the season with our schedule and personnel...but still with plenty of unknowns.

The team is clearly still in need of some upgrades and experience, but is also jelling pretty nicely around Luck, who we can see with our own eyes has plenty of NFL-level physical, cerebral and leadership qualities.

With the remaining schedule I think we'll almost certainly get those 6 wins, and even 7-9 or 8-8 has become realistic....and IMO that is a very respectable margin of improvement and a success.

listen i don't want any player on this team thinking this season is a success and lets pack it up.. every player and every fan should be pushing for playoffs and a superbowl. are they a long shot yes... but i believe that we can't be happy with morale victories have to keep pushing if we want to be the best.

I think you're comical also. If not winning the super bowl is OK with you, then fine. But some of us think that's the point of playing the game.

Not every team is a Super Bowl capable team and that most definitely defines the 2012 Colts. But from where they were last year to the very clear hope for the future they can absolutely have a successful season without winning the whole thing. The idea that only one team per season can be a success is pure nonsense to me.

Not every team is a Super Bowl capable team and that most definitely defines the 2012 Colts. But from where they were last year to the very clear hope for the future they can absolutely have a successful season without winning the whole thing. The idea that only one team per season can be a success is pure nonsense to me.

I agree 100%. But I would concede that during our prime Manning years, we could have expected more.

agree. but i think the way this team has responded to losing it's head coach speaks volumes as well