Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Would It Take to Trade Luck?

OJl

When Bill Simmons wrote about the trade value of NFLers prior to the start of the season, he had Andrew Luck listed as number 4. He listed Brees, Brady, and Rodgers ahead of Luck. In his write-up on Brady, he said if there was a straight up trade on the table, Brady for Luck:

"Maybe both sides would at least think about a Brady-for-Luck trade, but neither the Patriots nor the Colts would end up consummating it."

Here's the article: http://www.grantland...l-league-part-2

Four games into the season now (and even then actually), I call bull crap on Simmons. Belichick would trade Brady in a heartbeat for Andrew Luck! Five more years of Brady (at most) or 15 more years of Luck? Four games into the season, I think Andrew Luck is the most untradeable player in the NFL. Brees only has a handful of good years left. Rodgers probably has 7 or maybe 8 top level years left. Even as much as I love Peyton, I wouldn't trade Luck for Peyton at this point.

I think the ONLY team that hesitates to pull the trigger is Washington with RGIII. But even then, RGIII for me would not be enough to pry Luck free. The Skins gave up 3 first rounders and a second rounder for RGIII.

For me, to trade Luck at this point it would require a franchise QB in return and at least 6 or 7 first round picks PLUS at least two entire drafts from a team. LOL! We are so fortunate to have this guy (no I'm not going to play that stupid name pun game)!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take Luck over Brady, I see luck as having the potential to be one of the best ever. I'd much rather have someone who will be the best instead of someone who was the best and is on the downward slope of his career. It would have to be an extra first round pick for the next 25 years for me to even consider trading Luck.

Well, I guess it all comes down to whether you want to win now or win later. It's all about potential for some, instant results for others.

We can win in an instant with Luck right now. It's the supporting cast that will interfere. You don't get married for the honeymoon, you do it for the long haul. Only the desperate go for the short term fix (Oakland, Denver, Wash).

Nope, not worth trading Luck for Brady. Brady has been on the down slope for awhile. Luck on the other hand, is going to be dominate for a very long time!

My goodness, the Colts colored blinders are on. The premise of the thread is clear, no way you trade a 23 year-old with the talent that Luck appears to have for the aging Brady.

But for the love of God please tell me where Brady is slowing down? Last year he had 39 TD's against 12 ints and threw for over 5000 yards. The year before he only had a 36/4 TD to Int ratio. Those are stats that suggest nothing close to slowing down.

My goodness, the Colts colored blinders are on. The premise of the thread is clear, no way you trade a 23 year-old with the talent that Luck appears to have for the aging Brady.

But for the love of God please tell me where Brady is slowing down? Last year he had 39 TD's against 12 ints and threw for over 5000 yards. The year before he only had a 36/4 TD to Int ratio. Those are stats that suggest nothing close to slowing down.

guess you couldn't since my sarcasm.. :sigh:

Trade Luck? What kind of silly idea is that?

Why would we trade Luck now for anyone? We are a team in the middle of a full rebuilding, we are not playoff contenders, and we won't be for at least another year or maybe two. Why would we want Rogers here, even if he is a lot better QB than Luck at the moment? Why would we pay some 16-20 millions a year for a star, current elite QB now, if we cannot reach the PO with or without him?

We have the greatest QB prospect of the last 2 decades under the belt. Our "newborn" is just growing up now, showing many signs of future greatness already, while his "childhood mistakes" are not a problem, because there is nothing to loose this season. He will probably grow up just in the right time - in 1-2 years -, by the time, when we'll finish the rebuilding process. I cannot dream a better perspective for a team than this.

Not really Luck is how many years younger than Brady? If you honestly think Luck is going to be as good as people said he was going to be and based on what we have seen thus far there is no reason to think he wont be I'd take Luck in a heart beat because of the age factor. It's pretty much the choice the Colts made this off-seaosn. They could have five more years of greatness from Peyton or 15 from Luck. In no ways does any of that take anything away from Brady who is clearly one of the best to every play the game but if I could pick between Luck, Peyton, and Brady I am going Luck based on age. Heck if you gave me the choice between Peyton, Brady, and RG3 I'd go with RG3 again based on age and I think RG3 is going to be really good. If you want to say that's blinders fine but I think it's just factoring the age into all the decisions. Frankly there probably isn't a wrong choice between the five QBs I just listed.

We can win in an instant with Luck right now. It's the supporting cast that will interfere. You don't get married for the honeymoon, you do it for the long haul. Only the desperate go for the short term fix (Oakland, Denver, Wash).

Eh, I would still take Brady or Manning's experience and game savvy in place of Luck's experience right now. How is Washington going for the short term fix, by the way? Oakland and Denver I understand, with Osweiler being a back-up lol...but Oakland has Pryor, that guy might have some upside, so they should be okay should anything happen to Palmer.

Eh, I would still take Brady or Manning's experience and game savvy in place of Luck's experience right now. How is Washington going for the short term fix, by the way? Oakland and Denver I understand, with Osweiler being a back-up lol...but Oakland has Pryor, that guy might have some upside, so they should be okay should anything happen to Palmer.

Ok ,how about not right now but forever, with the current rosters?

Ok ,how about not right now but forever, with the current rosters?

If it's between those 3 QBs in the league right now, then I think Luck is the obvious choice. He's younger, looks to have the skills that everyone predicted he would, and has a smart head on his shoulders, not to mention a body like Roethlisberger. Griffin would be a close second, followed by Cam. Those are the best three young guns in the game right now. But if we're talking rosters, then I would, wait for it, go with Griffin lol. If he can stop taking as many hits as he does anyhow, and since his brains and discipline are very similar to Luck's, but with a better line and runningback. Just what I think, anyway.

Nope, not worth trading Luck for Brady. Brady has been on the down slope for awhile. Luck on the other hand, is going to be dominate for a very long time!

Ah... While I wouldn't expect a long sighted franchise to trade it's protege rookie QB for Tom Brady right now (not that we would trade Tom Brady for Luck, we have something called loyalty), I don't know how you can say Brady is getting worse. He gets better every season. He still hasn't peaked. I see absolutely no slow down or regression in Brady's game at all.

Sorry, don't mean to splice hairs or interupt but that was just a completely inaccurate statement.

Ah... While I wouldn't expect a long sighted franchise to trade it's protege rookie QB for Tom Brady right now (not that we would trade Tom Brady for Luck, we have something called loyalty), I don't know how you can say Brady is getting worse. He gets better every season. He still hasn't peaked. I see absolutely no slow down or regression in Brady's game at all.

Sorry, don't mean to splice hairs or interupt but that was just a completely inaccurate statement.

LOL! You do huh? Ask Wes Welker what he thinks about Patriots loyalty. Lawyer Malloy. Ty Law. Asante Samuel. Richard Seymour. Willie McGhinest. Ted Johnson. Dan Koppen. Dieon Branch before he was cut then brought back...again. PUHLEEZE! Belichick is a cut-throat vampire and that is why he is so good. He will bleed every drop of ability out of a player then cut him cold for another guy who can play the position better. Belichick would UPS Brady out of Boston yesterday if he could get Luck to QB his team for the next 12 to 15 years.

LOL! You do huh? Ask Wes Welker what he thinks about Patriots loyalty. Lawyer Malloy. Ty Law. Asante Samuel. Richard Seymour. Willie McGhinest. Ted Johnson. Dan Koppen. Dieon Branch before he was cut then brought back...again. PUHLEEZE! Belichick is a cut-throat vampire and that is why he is so good. He will bleed every drop of ability out of a player then cut him cold for another guy who can play the position better. Belichick would UPS Brady out of Boston yesterday if he could get Luck to QB his team for the next 12 to 15 years.

First of all, Welker isn't going anywhere.

Linebackers and corners will come and go. That's the NFL, but Brady will retire a Patriot. A franchise quarterback is different. Belichick is loyal to Brady, but, hypothetically, if he were to try to trade him (which just would never, never EVER, EVER happen, ever), we would riot. We would rip Gillette stadium to pieces. It's just not even an option. The backlash would be too great.

Luck for Brady? No thanks.

First of all, Welker isn't going anywhere.

Linebackers and corners will come and go. That's the NFL, but Brady will retire a Patriot. A franchise quarterback is different. Belichick is loyal to Brady, but, hypothetically, if he were to try to trade him (which just would never, never EVER, EVER happen, ever), we would riot. We would rip Gillette stadium to pieces. It's just not even an option. The backlash would be too great.

Luck for Brady? No thanks.

Whatever you say tough guy. Remember you said that in two years when Ryan Mallet is lobbing INTs left and right for the Pats.

Peyton, Montana, Farve, and Unitas all ended up playing for different teams at the end of their careers and all of these guys are clearly better than Brady so don't be so sure of Belichick's loyalty.

Nope. I wouldn't trade Luck for any active player at the moment.

Whatever you say tough guy. Remember you said that in two years when Ryan Mallet is lobbing INTs left and right for the Pats.

Peyton, Montana, Farve, and Unitas all ended up playing for different teams at the end of their careers and all of these guys are clearly better than Brady so don't be so sure of Belichick's loyalty.

Peyton is not clearly better than Brady imo, that's an all-time great sports debate for a reason. There's a case to be made either way. And Brett Favre is most certainly not.