Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone else seen rumor regarding McFadden?

Shepman

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Rice?

Small school, big numbers against lesser competition.

I think everyone is missing the op's point. I think he was just saying that reaching for players with big numbers from schools or conferences not typically known for being football powerhouses is a bigger gamble than players who performed in the "power conferences". I dont think he was saying these non power conference schools never produce good/great players sometimes.

Stupid for them, maybe, but how is that stupid for us at all????

Incomprehensibly stupid for the Colts. The list below is not even trying - just off the top of my head.

1) McFadden is expensive

2) McFadden is injury prone

3) The issue is the o'line, which last I checked, McFadden would still have to run behind.

4) Have we truly determined that Brown can't play? I think that is up for debate considering the line

5) Have we determined anything at about Vick Ballard. From what I have seen, he looks to be a player.

6) The Colts are already without far too many picks to begin with so why give up another when points 1-5 are factors to consider.

Incomprehensibly stupid for the Colts. The list below is not even trying - just off the top of my head.

1) McFadden is expensive

2) McFadden is injury prone

3) The issue is the o'line, which last I checked, McFadden would still have to run behind.

4) Have we truly determined that Brown can't play? I think that is up for debate considering the line

5) Have we determined anything at about Vick Ballard. From what I have seen, he looks to be a player.

6) The Colts are already without far too many picks to begin with so why give up another when points 1-5 are factors to consider.

No.3 being the biggest factor. I don't understand why people keep keep suggesting we need another RB(I know thats not what the OP is doing but I have seen plenty that are). It would be like suggesting a team get Megatron if Curtis Painter is their QB. Whats the point. I think people that have a really low understanding of the game see how ineffective our running game is and just assume that it has to be the RB's.

McFadden would be an awesome pick up. I cannot believe some people are arguing this. Brown, Ballard, or Carter could turn out better than anticipated but the will neer be the caliber RB McFadden is. He is an instant upgrade and a piece of the overall puzzle. I realize we need to upgrade the OL but I doubt anyone will give us a G who is a starter now and later for a 4th and a G.... McFadden would be a better addition for next year than any RB in the 4th round of the draft.

No.3 being the biggest factor. I don't understand why people keep keep suggesting we need another RB(I know thats not what the OP is doing but I have seen plenty that are). It would be like suggesting a team get Megatron if Curtis Painter is their QB. Whats the point. I think people that have a really low understanding of the game see how ineffective our running game is and just assume that it has to be the RB's.

we have to realize that the moves we are making aren't to win the SB this year. We are trying to build a team for the near future and McFadden fills a big need. we can draft/sign OL this offseason and go into next year with a reloaded OLine, Luck, and McFadden.... sounds good to me

I think everyone is missing the op's point. I think he was just saying that reaching for players with big numbers from schools or conferences not typically known for being football powerhouses is a bigger gamble than players who performed in the "power conferences". I dont think he was saying these non power conference schools never produce good/great players sometimes.

Yeah, but the topic seems to have strayed somewhat. Much like many threads.

Anyway, since most seem to believe this is nothing more than a rumor, what's another argument about nothing. :)

There are no good O-lines anymore. The league has shifted. That's why teams will need mobile QB's like Rodgers, Luck, Newton, RG3,etc...heck even Big Ben. Just look around. It's already happening. Tom Brady HAD the best protection until Matt Light retired and now he's running for his life like the rest of us. The best we can hope for is an adequate line and let Luck do his thing.

The point is that if you can rape a team of talent for a 4th round pick, you do it.

The point is that if you can rape a team of talent for a 4th round pick, you do it.

No, the point is, this rumor is just that......a rumor, and one based on absolutely nothing but fantasy. McFadden would suck here because he has nobody blocking for him so therefore you just gave away another draft pick for somebody thats going to accomplish nothing.

Freeney was WIDELY regarded as a reach pick, but thank god he turned out to be the player he did.

I stand corrected and completely forgot about that. However, as I said in my previous post I never said Brown wasn't talented. I'm merely stating that what he did in college, in a non-powerhouse conference, is about the equivalent of Polian drafting Mathis in the first or second round because of what he did at Alabama A&M. My point, and my opinion, is that Polian reached on Brown for what he did in college.

And yes the Big East now, like it was back then, is trash.

Again you missed the point. It's not about where you went to school or where you are drafted. It's about the talent you have. If where you were drafted the top three picks every year would be from LSU, Alabama, and USC. Yet two players have been taken from those schools in the first three picks in the past three drafts combined.

Rather the Big East is a weaker conference or not when compared to the other BCS conferences doesn't matter when you are talking about individual players. If you think Brown was a reach because you just don't think he was a first round talent that's fine to say he wasn't worthy of being a first round pick just because he played in the Big East is not really a valid reason. Freeney and Harrison are just two examples of players who have come out of Big East and been very good players in the NFL. Again when it comes to talking about an individual player and his talent you can't judge that on the school or conference he played in alone. Again if that was the case the only good players in the NFL would have played at the schools I listed above and only a few others like Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Oregon.

I've been saying the same about Brown...

and you might actually have a point once we get a O Line that can run block consistently until then using your logic we should get rid of Ballard to because his ypc and total yards is worse then Browns, we have been over this several times now

Again you missed the point. It's not about where you went to school or where you are drafted. It's about the talent you have. If where you were drafted the top three picks every year would be from LSU, Alabama, and USC. Yet two players have been taken from those schools in the first three picks in the past three drafts combined.

Rather the Big East is a weaker conference or not when compared to the other BCS conferences doesn't matter when you are talking about individual players. If you think Brown was a reach because you just don't think he was a first round talent that's fine to say he wasn't worthy of being a first round pick just because he played in the Big East is not really a valid reason. Freeney and Harrison are just two examples of players who have come out of Big East and been very good players in the NFL. Again when it comes to talking about an individual player and his talent you can't judge that on the school or conference he played in alone. Again if that was the case the only good players in the NFL would have played at the schools I listed above and only a few others like Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Oregon.

:facepalm: Good lord... Once I again, I never stated that ANY of those guys didn't have talent. Obviously they do or they wouldn't be in the NFL. They simply played against inferior competition. Some (Freeney, Mathis, Bethea) are as good as advertised. Donald? We just don't know yet because he hasn't really been given the opportunity nor the help to see if his college game translates over to the NFL.

Go back to 98'. Look at Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning. There is NO WAY I take Leaf, playing in a soft Pac-10, over Peyton Manning and what he did in the SEC. Statistically they were almost the same. Competition they played against? Not even close. And we all know where their careers are headed and have gone. The SEC and Big10 continuously send the most players to the NFL and have been for YEARS. The odds of the guys playing in those conferences and being successful in the NFL are undoubtedly much higher than those of the other conferences. Again, thats not to say that the other conferences don't have talented players, because they do, but it becomes more of a shot in the dark if they can actually produce at the NFL level after having been in a low level collegiate conference.

However, I do remember Polian always saying that when they evaluate players in lower conferences/divisions they need to see said player dominate and stand out against their competition. Brown, Mathis, and Freeney all did that and so far Polian was dead on on two of the three. The jury is still out on DB.

And sorry for going off topic, but I've enjoyed this debate..

:facepalm: Good lord... Once I again, I never stated that ANY of those guys didn't have talent. Obviously they do or they wouldn't be in the NFL. They simply played against inferior competition. Some (Freeney, Mathis, Bethea) are as good as advertised. Donald? We just don't know yet because he hasn't really been given the opportunity nor the help to see if his college game translates over to the NFL.

Go back to 98'. Look at Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning. There is NO WAY I take Leaf, playing in a soft Pac-10, over Peyton Manning and what he did in the SEC. Statistically they were almost the same. Competition they played against? Not even close. And we all know where their careers are headed and have gone. The SEC and Big10 continuously send the most players to the NFL and have been for YEARS. The odds of the guys playing in those conferences and being successful in the NFL are undoubtedly much higher than those of the other conferences. Again, thats not to say that the other conferences don't have talented players, because they do, but it becomes more of a shot in the dark if they can actually produce at the NFL level after having been in a low level collegiate conference.

However, I do remember Polian always saying that when they evaluate players in lower conferences/divisions they need to see said player dominate and stand out against their competition. Brown, Mathis, and Freeney all did that and so far Polian was dead on on two of the three. The jury is still out on DB.

And sorry for going off topic, but I've enjoyed this debate..

and I don't have an issue with that but that's what you did at first what you did at first was dismiss Donald Brown just because he played in the big east and came across as saying that players who were in a better conference were better just because they played in a better conference. Again the only thing I've ever tried to say to you is that it doesn't matter where you went to school it matters the level of talent you have. If you agree with that then we have no issue.