Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone else seen rumor regarding McFadden?

Shepman

RBs like Brown are a dime a dozen. RBs like McFadden do not fall to the 4th rnd. If you think we can get a RB at McFadden's level after rnd 4 then you are freakin crazy. I never argued against the OLine being the problem but like a i stated b4, we need a franchise RB also. This trade would fill a need at the expense of a 4th rnd pick. What do you expect us to get with our 4th rnd pick? certainly not a starting OLineman you say we need more than RB... as i showed you b4, our last 10 years of 4th rnd pick have not been impressive. Never have we drafted anything close to the superstar McFadden is in the 4th rnd. If you do not see my point yet then I give up on you.

But McFadden will do just as poorly behind our offensive line. 4th rounder or not, that's a bad waste of a draft pick. And it's not like we have an abundance of picks next year.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But McFadden will do just as poorly behind our offensive line. 4th rounder or not, that's a bad waste of a draft pick. And it's not like we have an abundance of picks next year.

u r missing the point entirely. Is McFadden a better back than Brown? the answer is YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are not trying to get a RB who will do better with our current line. we would be trying to aquire a RB who we can win a SB with 2-3 years from now with a whole new OLine.

To win a SB we currently need starting caliber RT, 2 G, WR, RB, nickel corner, DT, DE, MLB, and without Freeney a OLB. We have to find a way to fill quite a few holes with FA and the draft. Odds are on the side that if we use our 4th rnd pick to draft a player it fill be for a career backup or non pro bowl starter. McFadden for a 4th gives us a pro bowl caliber player at a need postion, something we are highly unlikely to get in the 4th rnd. (i realize good players have come from the 4th or later but they are the exception and not the rule)

This trade is basically a fantasy trade for the colts made up by someone with no clue and Oakland would be absolutely crazy to accept it. There is no way it will happen but if it did, we would be the winners in the trade and oakland would be laughed at AGAIN.

u r missing the point entirely. Is McFadden a better back than Brown? the answer is YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are not trying to get a RB who will do better with our current line. we would be trying to aquire a RB who we can win a SB with 2-3 years from now with a whole new OLine.

To win a SB we currently need starting caliber RT, 2 G, WR, RB, nickel corner, DT, DE, MLB, and without Freeney a OLB. We have to find a way to fill quite a few holes with FA and the draft. Odds are on the side that if we use our 4th rnd pick to draft a player it fill be for a career backup or non pro bowl starter. McFadden for a 4th gives us a pro bowl caliber player at a need postion, something we are highly unlikely to get in the 4th rnd. (i realize good players have come from the 4th or later but they are the exception and not the rule)

This trade is basically a fantasy trade for the colts made up by someone with no clue and Oakland would be absolutely crazy to accept it. There is no way it will happen but if it did, we would be the winners in the trade and oakland would be laughed at AGAIN.

Having a running back is not a necessity for winning a Super Bowl. I mean, literally, you need a running back, but it's not a position where you *must have* a really good one.

History, common sense and everything else counters your argument.

Off the last Super Bowl winning teams, tell me where is the franchise RB you reference is needed?

2011 Giants - nope

2010 Packers - nope

2009 Saints - nope

2008 Steelers - nope

2007 Giants - nope

2006 Colts - nope

2005 Steelers - nope

2004 Pats - nope

2003 Pats - nope

2002 Tampa - nope

2001 - Pats - nope

It is absolutely not a necessity to have that type of RB on your roster any longer - and hasn't been for a long time. RB by committee is the new normal. So why on earth would you ever give up a commodity like a mid-round pick along with a producing player is beyond me. It absolutely appears that having a quality passing game and a rush capable of getting to the QB are infinitely more important.

It is absolutely not a necessity to have that type of RB on your roster any longer - and hasn't been for a long time. RB by committee is the new normal. So why on earth would you ever give up a commodity like a mid-round pick along with a producing player is beyond me. It absolutely appears that having a quality passing game and a rush capable of getting to the QB are infinitely more important.

I'd rather draft a running back in the 4th round than trade for a running back, even a top notch running back (yes, that includes the best in the business).

Edit: By the way, I'd give Corey Dillon credit for the 2004 Pats. 1600 yards, 12 touchdowns, on 345 carries. Bell cow status.

Ditto what Superman said. When was the last time that the SB winner had an elite back? Here's a list of the past few SB winning running backs:

2012: NYG - Ahmad Bradshaw/Brandon Jacobs

2011: GB - Brandon Jackson

2010: NO - Pierre Thomas/Reggie Bush

2009: Pitt - Willie Parker

2008: NYG - Ahmad Bradshaw/Brandon Jacobs

2007: Indy - Dom Rhodes/Joseph Addai

2006: Pitt - Jerome Bettis

I'd be hard pressed to call any of those guys "elite backs" other than maybe Bettis, and that was SEVEN years ago. (Brandon Jackson? Who's that guy?!?)

Also, the question remains: is McFadden that much of an upgrade over Brown? I don't think you can make a fair judgement, given the @$%&-poor blocking DB has gotten over the years. Furthermore, if you look at my analysis on how well Donald Brown performs when he actually gets blocking, his numbers are pretty darn good:

http://forums.colts....me-play-review/

Edit: Heheh... jskinnz beat me to the punch.

Ditto what Superman said. When was the last time that the SB winner had an elite back? Here's a list of the past few SB winning running backs:

2012: NYG - Ahmad Bradshaw/Brandon Jacobs

2011: GB - Brandon Jackson

2010: NO - Pierre Thomas/Reggie Bush

2009: Pitt - Willie Parker

2008: NYG - Ahmad Bradshaw/Brandon Jacobs

2007: Indy - Dom Rhodes/Joseph Addai

2006: Pitt - Jerome Bettis

I'd be hard pressed to call any of those guys "elite backs" other than Bettis, and that was SEVEN years ago. (Brandon Jackson? Who's that guy?!?)

Also, the question remains: is McFadden that much of an upgrade over Brown? I don't think you can make a fair judgement, given the tick-poor blocking DB has gotten over the years. Furthermore, if you look at my analysis on how well Donald Brown performs when he actually gets blocking, his numbers are pretty darn good:

http://forums.colts....me-play-review/

Edit: Heheh... jskinnz beat me to the punch.

Bettis was in his final season, by the way. Not a difference maker at that point (368 rushing yards that season), and he nearly cost the Steelers a shot at the Super Bowl with his fumble against the Colts.

I'd rather dish Brown for a lineman as well. For a relatively shallow class of running backs, I'd like to pick up Marcus Lattimore from SC, Montee Ball from Wisconsin, Eddie Lacy from Alabama or Silas Redd from USC.

I like Lattimore a lot but you can keep Ball, Lacy, and Redd. don't trust Wisky running backs . Also, whoever said the Big East was garbage when Freeney was there needs to recheck that. WVU, Miami(one of the all time great colege teams), Va Tech ( Vick era and after), and the Cuse were all top 10 or 15 teams in a 8 team league.

Off the last Super Bowl winning teams, tell me where is the franchise RB you reference is needed?

2011 Giants - nope

2010 Packers - nope

2009 Saints - nope

2008 Steelers - nope

2007 Giants - nope

2006 Colts - nope

2005 Steelers - nope

2004 Pats - nope

2003 Pats - nope

2002 Tampa - nope

2001 - Pats - nope

I am not to proud to admit when i'm wrong. I see where you are coming from.

2011 Giants - nope

2010 Packers - nope

2009 Saints - nope

2008 Steelers - nope

2007 Giants - nope

2006 Colts - nope

2005 Steelers - nope

2004 Pats - nope

2003 Pats - nope

2002 Tampa - nope

2001 - Pats - nope

We need better execution by the OL, and I think we need a better "committee". We don't really have a committee to me because Brown appears to be the only decent running back we have. I don't think he is best used as a power back, and Vic Ballard hasn't shown me even a glimmer of hope to this point. Not only is he lacking any bounce, but he seems to be slow as molasses, I'll continue to give him some more time, but these are my observations so far.

Mewelde Moore gives you zero in the running game and is more like a glorified receiver standing in the backfield. Delone Carter has yet to see the field, but I suspect he could possibly give us more than Ballard if we would give him a little PT. He was able to bust off a couple nice runs last year before they canned him for his fumbling issues. Hopefully he has gotten over that by now, but if he is not playing maybe he hasn't!

The supporting cast behind Brown is not even respectable enough for me to call this a committee. It's just Brown all by his lonesome for the most part.

We need better execution by the OL, and I think we need a better "committee". We don't really have a committee to me because Brown appears to be the only decent running back we have. I don't think he is best used as a power back, and Vic Ballard hasn't shown me even a glimmer of hope to this point. Not only is he lacking any bounce, but he seems to be slow as molasses, I'll continue to give him some more time, but these are my observations so far.

Mewelde Moore gives you zero in the running game and is more like a glorified receiver standing in the backfield. Delone Carter has yet to see the field, but I suspect he could possibly give us more than Ballard if we would give him a little PT. He was able to bust off a couple nice runs last year before they canned him for his fumbling issues. Hopefully he has gotten over that by now, but if he is not playing maybe he hasn't!

The supporting cast behind Brown is not even respectable enough for me to call this a committee. It's just Brown all by his lonesome for the most part.

Ballard's performance in the pre-season was certainly encouraging. If you look at the Ballard's numbers this year, it certainly appears at this point that he does slightly worse than DB with the few carries that he has had:

But at the same time, he's running behind the same crappy O line, and he hasn't had enough carries to really give you a representative idea of what he can do. From what I remember, he's only been getting about 2-5 carries per game.

Ballard's performance in the pre-season was certainly encouraging. If you look at the Ballard's numbers this year, it certainly appears at this point that he does slightly worse than DB with the few carries that he has had:

http://forums.colts....w/page__st__120

But at the same time, he's running behind the same crappy O line, and he hasn't had enough carries to really give you a representative idea of what he can do. From what I remember, he's only been getting about 2-5 carries per game.

He got a couple of consecutive carries in the Jags game and was stuffed every time. He may need more carries

but so far I haven't seen anything to even give me slight encouragement. Maybe there was one run that was decent.

He got a couple of consecutive carries in the Jags game and was stuffed every time. He may need more carries

but so far I haven't seen anything to even give me slight encouragement. Maybe there was one run that was decent.

See my post in the other thread. He had three decent runs and two bad runs that were from being hit behind the line of scrimmage:

1st Quarter

Hit at LOS for +4 yd

2nd Quarter

Hit -1 behind LOS for 0 yd

Hit -2 behind LOS for -1 yd

3rd Quarter

Hit 1 after LOS for +5 yd

Hit 2 after LOS for +4 yd

4th Quarter

No carries

When hit behind line of scrimmage: 2 rushes for -1 yards --> -0.5 YPC

When hit at line of scrimmage or beyond: 3 rushes for 13 yards --> +4.33 YPC

Ballard was hit behind LOS 40% of the time, which is essentially identical to when DB is in the line up.

All in all, it's the same story with Ballard and Brown: give them enough room to run, and they produce. When the offensive blocking breaks down, they don't produce.

Bettis was in his final season, by the way. Not a difference maker at that point (368 rushing yards that season), and he nearly cost the Steelers a shot at the Super Bowl with his fumble against the Colts.

That fumble return by Harper broke my heart. in the beginning, he looked as if he was running from his wife, no one was going to catch him..then he cut back towards Big Ben, and away from the sidelines because he thought he saw her standing there with a knife..I think he thought Ben was a safer bet. j/k

That fumble return by Harper broke my heart. in the beginning, he looked as if he was running from his wife, no one was going to catch him..then he cut back towards Big Ben, and away from the sidelines because he thought he saw her standing there with a knife..I think he thought Ben was a safer bet. j/k

ROFL