Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No more Allen or Fleener in the backfield, please

MKDK

Dwayne Allen lines up a lot in the backfield as a FB/H-back, and Fleener motions in there at times. To be honest, I'm sick of it. Neither of those guys are primarily blockers, they excel as pass catchers.

In the run game, more than often than not, they don't even throw a block. They charge ahead looking for somebody to block, but often misses out.

I get that TEs are multidimensional and can be utilized as pass catchers (and being better at it than most FBs) out the backfield. But how many passes have really gone the the H-back?

Instead, line the two TEs up at the line. You can run it out of that formation, pulling O-linemen or going with stretch plays. At the same time, the TEs will present a much bigger threat to the defense as targets for Luck, either from their position on the line or being motioned/audibled out as a WR.

Either try Dominique Jones as the H-back (he seems to be the better blocker to me) or get a proper FB who can pave the way for the RB. Don't waste the talents of Allen and Fleener.

Dwayne Allen lines up a lot in the backfield as a FB/H-back, and Fleener motions in there at times. To be honest, I'm sick of it. Neither of those guys are primarily blockers, they excel as pass catchers.

In the run game, more than often than not, they don't even throw a block. They charge ahead looking for somebody to block, but often misses out.

I get that TEs are multidimensional and can be utilized as pass catchers (and being better at it than most FBs) out the backfield. But how many passes have really gone the the H-back?

Instead, line the two TEs up at the line. You can run it out of that formation, pulling O-linemen or going with stretch plays. At the same time, the TEs will present a much bigger threat to the defense as targets for Luck, either from their position on the line or being motioned/audibled out as a WR.

Either try Dominique Jones as the H-back (he seems to be the better blocker to me) or get a proper FB who can pave the way for the RB. Don't waste the talents of Allen and Fleener.

Dear God...

Get used to it....it is part of the Bruce Arians offense. If we continue to only have 2 back-up offensive lineman you will see even more of it and 3 TE sets. In the 3 TE set, my preference is Dominique Jones as H as well. Allen is however the best form blocker at the line of scrimmage.

Get ready. Allen showed the intensity of a lion last week...he is ready to break out. Remember we are not looking smooth in some of these sets because these are 3 rookie TEs.(Fleener will not disappoint either)

One other note: Notice the TE has been to the left most of the time in the H/F....until Olsen is out of the lineup....extra blocking is needed. I hope that Satele's injury is not serious, and I also hope Essex can fill that obvious hole at LG. :colts: :colts: :colts:

Dwayne already said he's not real happy to be doing that all the time, (out of his element), want to catch balls and such. he was striaight up about it and stuff. not happy at all.

Like others have said, get used to it. Versatility is something that we need on offense. That is something generally expected at the TE position. When we wish to run, and when it is advantageous to have a blocker ahead of the FB, we either have to line a FB up back there from the get-go, or pull a TE over.

As we have two early round selections in TE, I'd rather see them on the field. So if they have to be a lead blocker from time to time when the defensive formation calls for it, so be it.

It's the system, get used to it.

Plus if you want Jones out there more as the FB/Hback then your going to see a lot less of Allen. They are not just going to get rid of those formations because motion is going to be a cornerstone of this offense, kinda like how the no huddle was 1 for Peyton.

Yeah, I don't think this is going away. Although I don't think Fleener should ever play the H back spot, Allen is a tremendous blocker. This will pay off dividends in the future as Allen becomes more versatile, giving our offensive line up on any given play more versatility.

Plus, as long as our O line is playing like it is, Allen and Fleener are going to do a lot of blocking. No way around it unless you want to get Luck killed out there.

Allen's Role will be used as added protection so that consist as lining up as a full back, H-back and TE on the line until the line play improves you will be seeing both Allen and Fleener (primarily Allen) lining up in the backfield.

Actually I think It has very little to do with the line, it's more about confussing the Defense, they don't know who's blocking or running a route.

get used to it..

..Allen is there to block and with iur line,. we need him..

Fleener is miore dangerous coming out of the backfield becase he can go left or right...and cant be easily jammed.

We'll throw to them once we get our line settled and commtt to the passing game

Although I get that Arian uses the system the way he does.....I was getting at (and I think the OP) I want to see Fleener and Allen out in the flat catching passes more. Pretty please. Just a few times a game at least.

I thought that was what you meant.....on your initial comment....rookies all 3....gotta learn....and get some 'gellin' going on the OL.....continuity instead of injuries would be nice. :)

I miss Tom Moore's simple offense. I don't mind motion and bunch sets, but it's like Lauryn Hill said: It could all be so simple, but you'd rather make it hard.

Put our 2TE personnel on the field, and leave it there for a series, unless we have a situational playcall that we sub for. Move Fleener and the receivers around to create mismatches and different looks, and pick the soft spot of the defense. We'll get some favorable matches in the run game, we'll slow down the pass rush, and we'll be primed for play action and middle screens. You can run a dozen different formations from that one package, with a hundred different run and pass plays. You can go from 4 Wide to I Formation with the same personnel.

And then you build off of that. I really think Arians offense is too cute for its own good.

I don't know if some of you have missed this.... I mean it hasn't been discussed here or elsewhere at all.....

But....

Our offensive line? It's quite below average. Some might say our offensive line is, indeed, offensive. Others might say it flat out SUCKS!!

So, Allen in the backfield is to help BLOCK!! Fleener in the backfield is to create match-up problems and confusion on the defense....

You guys think Arians LIKES doing this? You don't think he knows what he's got? You don't think he wants those guys doing more things and creating even more problems for the defense? Goodness gracious.

And anyone saying that whatever we're doing two games into a season and that they're "sick of it".... is not only just a fan, but is a very uninformed fan... sorry.

:bored::facepalm: :slaphead:

I don't know if some of you have missed this.... I mean it hasn't been discussed here or elsewhere at all.....

But....

Our offensive line? It's quite below average. Some might say our offensive line is, indeed, offensive. Others might say it flat out SUCKS!!

So, Allen in the backfield is to help BLOCK!! Fleener in the backfield is to create match-up problems and confusion on the defense....

You guys think Arians LIKES doing this? You don't think he knows what he's got? You don't think he wants those guys doing more things and creating even more problems for the defense? Goodness gracious.

And anyone saying that whatever we're doing two games into a season and that they're "sick of it".... is not only just a fan, but is a very uninformed fan... sorry.

:bored::facepalm: :slaphead:

Thank you New. It really is that simple. Pagano challenged Allen to have his goal to be the best TE in the league.

Andrew needs some help BLOCKING with a New Line & Offense. And x 10 with Olson & Link out there. :yahoo:

Its game 2 for goodness sakes, we have to keep it fairly simple and BUILD on it. A bye after next week should help us add a few more wrinkles.

Allen and Fleener are getting playing time and blocking experience that not many Rookies ever get.

We will shore up the O-Line next season and the Offense jailbreak Then begins.

Really, though, it's not like we need the Allen and Fleener to catch balls right now. We have practically an embarrassment of riches in the receiving department (ie Wayne/Avery/Brazill/Hilton plus or minus Collie). What we need is some protection in passing and someone to help with the run blocking game.

You'll see plenty more of it. We don't have any fullbacks in this system, only tight ends used as H backs and unfortunately they will be used in the capacity you don't like. Sorry!

New England doesnt use a fullback do they? And yet they still manage to get their 2 TEs on the receiving side of things. Why dont we mimic them? It is a copycat league after all.

New England doesnt use a fullback do they? And yet they still manage to get their 2 TEs on the receiving side of things. Why dont we mimic them? It is a copycat league after all.

Sure! Just go and ask Arians if he would do that.... It is what it is. What we really need to do is let the season progress and as it progresses I'm sure they will start opening the playbook up some more. I don't know what the complaint is really. It's hard to get both your tight ends heavily involved in the passing game if the O line is throwing look out blocks the majority of the game. You are forced to leave extra blockers in to have better protection. The playbook will open up more once the O-line is a bit more settled I believe.

Eventually, social media will be so fast, that fans can post that a RB is brilliant....and then say he sucks, during the same play.

It's not "what have you done for me lately"...it will be "what have you done for me in the last five yards?".

I am obviously being sarcastic, because this thread is a....just wow....moment. The only thing that would be more amazing if it had appeared in the preseason....oh wait....I think it did. (insert gun to my head smiley here)

Dwayne already said he's not real happy to be doing that all the time, (out of his element), want to catch balls and such. he was striaight up about it and stuff. not happy at all.

Can you provide a link to this? I've searched google and found nothing. The only article I found regarding Allen remotely being "unhappy" (if you wanna call it that) was way back in early aug around the beginning of camp when he was trying to find his "role"

Can you provide a link to this? I've searched google and found nothing. The only article I found regarding Allen remotely being "unhappy" (if you wanna call it that) was way back in early aug around the beginning of camp when he was trying to find his "role"

you obviously didn't hear his post-game sound bite :woah: