Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Case for Jeff Linkenbach

ztboiler

Visual impressions are the hardest to overcome with fans by players. We fans are not technicians of the film room, we are really only left with the impressions of what we see. Unfortunately, Link left an indelible impression as a rookie that will never leave us, and became a YouTube legend on roller skates - knocking down the greatest QB of all-time on the receiving end of what looks more like a WWF smackdown than a football play.

My disclaimer - I am not a fan of Link. However, I think I probably should be. He just made his 3rd active roster for the Colts as an undrafted free agent, and his rookie year he made a roster that was in the Superbowl the year before. Like it or not, the guy can play football and does things the coaches and GM's must value. Chief among those attributes must be his ability to play 4 spots on the line - probably the most versatile lineman we have had in some time. I didn't say he could play all those spots well, but if you don't think Grigson is happy to have a player as his 6th lineman that can get you through a few games, and understands the assignments, when you lose a starter at G or T, then we are probably evaluating with our emotions more than our heads. Every team has attrition, and though Link is always going to be exposed against elite D lineman, he is good enough to gameplan around when you need to, and by the middle of the year all teams are gameplanning around their weaknesses. Link is a hard guy to beat out for a reason, and I for one am starting to appreciate the reasons that he is still on the roster.

I'm looking forward to the day when we've accumulated talent that forces Link to the waiver wire - we'll be a better line then - but I also won't be surprised if that day is longer in coming than we might expect. Guys like Link are the guts of NFL teams - they are ready to play where you put them - and GM's love them.

I do agree, it is better to have one bad back-up that 3 bad back-ups.

The rest of it, I just can't understand. I do understand the technique aspect of being an olineman, I do watch film of these players and there is not one aspect of Links playing that warrants an NFL roster spot. I do think he probably tests very well and understand the game plan about as well as anyone (I have heard that he is very intelligent and has very good football intelligence). And for a team rebuilding I can understand the thought process that, if our back-ups are going to be bad, then it's better to have one bad back up for 3 positions rather than 3 bad back-ups for three positions. But no, it will take several games of Link playing well before I start to believe that he is an NFL caliber lineman.

The rest of it, I just can't understand. I do understand the technique aspect of being an olineman, I do watch film of these players and there is not one aspect of Links playing that warrants an NFL roster spot. I do think he probably tests very well and understand the game plan about as well as anyone (I have heard that he is very intelligent and has very good football intelligence). And for a team rebuilding I can understand the thought process that, if our back-ups are going to be bad, then it's better to have one bad back up for 3 positions rather than 3 bad back-ups for three positions. But no, it will take several games of Link playing well before I start to believe that he is an NFL caliber lineman.

I feel the same way about him, Justice and Mcglynn, people say well Grigson knows how to pick O Linemen because he was one, to that I say the "tapes" and there is plenty of them now in all three of there cases says differently

National football post has a good article about olinemen. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-3466.html

Joe Thomas is considered first or second best left tackle today and he doesn't compare to the dominant ones from history. Defensive guys are able to backflips and oline guys can't even get their jerseys to fit over their stomachs. I think that is why bringing in these tight ends and bulking them up isn't such a bad idea. They are often good athletes just not as strong. You can gain strength though.

I feel the same way about him, Justice and Mcglynn, people say well Grigson knows how to pick O Linemen because he was one, to that I say the "tapes" and there is plenty of them now in all three of there cases says differently

You say this as if Grigson was afforded a wealth of talented choices to select from, and just settled on those two. We had little cap space to work with, limiting the caliber of player we could acquire. We basically got Winston Justice for free in a trade and picked up Mcglynn as a URFA for pennies.Since he had to select from a mediocre pool of players, he opted to go with familiarity. His best acquisition on the line was Satele, who has produced so far, and was a good bargain buy.

I have no problems with the moves Grigson has made so far, considering the fiscal restraints he is under this year. Make no mistake, these were bargain moves; not long term solutions. You can't say one way or another whether or not Grigson has an eye for o-line talent, because these aren't his picks. They're merely stop-gaps for the time being

Half of the teams in the NFL or better have issues on the O-line - and nearly all do with depth. Because of what he does do, not because of what he doesn't...half of the teams in the league would probably retain his services. I'm hoping that one day soon, we become a part of the half that wouldn't, but that does make him an NFL caliber lineman. There is no way for me to support these conclusions - at least none that I'm willing to take the effort to do - thus I respect that your position will be the passionate opposite. I simply conclude that there is a place on many teams for a lineman that does what he does. Nobody here will like it, but there is a distinct possiblity that he is still on this team 5 years from now when we are competing for Superbowls and have built the O-line we all want - for the simple fact that carrying a ninth OL that does what he does is very valuable. Give me a soldier that is hard to kill anytime. Nobody in this regime had any loyalty to Link - yet he is still here. He earned a spot, and I respect it. Waive him today and he'd be picked up tomorrow. He'd probably start at RT for the Jets....

The fact that we continue to keep Link is more indicative of the general poor state of affairs on our OL, i guess you could say he's the best of a bad batch....not the greatest of compliments. The one supposedly "good" lineman we have that I have been disappointed in thus far is Satele. I've watch him in particular since he's from Hawaii, and his footwork and balance is atrocious. I don't recall seeing a guy stumbling around so much trying to block someone as him. I can see now why he's been jumping from team to team.

The fact that we continue to keep Link is more indicative of the general poor state of affairs on our OL, i guess you could say he's the best of a bad batch....not the greatest of compliments. The one supposedly "good" lineman we have that I have been disappointed in thus far is Satele. I've watch him in particular since he's from Hawaii, and his footwork and balance is atrocious. I don't recall seeing a guy stumbling around so much trying to block someone as him. I can see now why he's been jumping from team to team.

I agree with the first part. Like I keep saying just because people don't like Link doesn't mean that other players are automatically better. If we had someone better Link would be released. There is no tie to him for Girgson so no reason for us to keep him unless he's better than what we had. You nailed it Link still being here says more about the fact that we just don't have good enough players yet. With that said it's a step in the right direction that he is no longer starting.

I would say we do have another good o-lineman in Castonzo. I don't think he's great but I think he's good enough we can build around. Frankly I think him and Reitz are a really good combo on the left side of the line if they are given time to keep jelling.

Sounds like some academy award winning director should make a movie about the trials, tribulations and national perception of Jeff Linkenbach.

I can see it now, directed by Steven Spielberg starring Daniel Radcliff from the Harry Potter movies as a young Jeff Linkenbach and Micky Rourke as the older Jeff.

I just have to think of a name now. After that I can write a script and send it in to Stephen Spielberg.

I think it's easy to sit back and take pot shots at individual linemen. My understanding,tho, is that there are no other positions on a football field that are more interdependent than the 5 Oline spots. It's hard to isolate mistakes for one lineman without knowing how the play of the other 4 might have created an imbalance. That's where I leave it to the coaches.

I think it's easy to sit back and take pot shots at individual linemen. My understanding,tho, is that there are no other positions on a football field that are more interdependent than the 5 Oline spots. It's hard to isolate mistakes for one lineman without knowing how the play of the other 4 might have created an imbalance. That's where I leave it to the coaches.

Exactly, Not many people outside of the higher levels of football really know all that much about how an individual o-lineman performs. You can read all the websites you want about technique and footwork and all that good stuff, but most wouldn't know how to apply that knowledge to what they're looking at anyway. There are a few posters here that think that the o-lineman should win every single battle on every single snap and if they don't...........they suck!

Half of the teams in the NFL or better have issues on the O-line - and nearly all do with depth. Because of what he does do, not because of what he doesn't...half of the teams in the league would probably retain his services. I'm hoping that one day soon, we become a part of the half that wouldn't, but that does make him an NFL caliber lineman. There is no way for me to support these conclusions - at least none that I'm willing to take the effort to do - thus I respect that your position will be the passionate opposite. I simply conclude that there is a place on many teams for a lineman that does what he does. Nobody here will like it, but there is a distinct possiblity that he is still on this team 5 years from now when we are competing for Superbowls and have built the O-line we all want - for the simple fact that carrying a ninth OL that does what he does is very valuable. Give me a soldier that is hard to kill anytime. Nobody in this regime had any loyalty to Link - yet he is still here. He earned a spot, and I respect it. Waive him today and he'd be picked up tomorrow. He'd probably start at RT for the Jets....

First of all, Boiler, I want to thank you for this thread. It is common for fans to think they know more than the professionals. That is not going to change anytime soon.

The part I bolded and underlined is what is undeniable. When Jeff Saturday pancaked Vince Wilfork in, "The Block", I doubt that suddenly Jeff is awesome and Vince sucks....but I'll bet some fans made it that way.

First of all, Boiler, I want to thank you for this thread. It is common for fans to think they know more than the professionals. That is not going to change anytime soon.

The part I bolded and underlined is what is undeniable. When Jeff Saturday pancaked Vince Wilfork in, "The Block", I doubt that suddenly Jeff is awesome and Vince sucks....but I'll bet some fans made it that way.

Yep fans see what they want to see. Part of the problem for Link is that no matter what he does the rest of his career a lot of fans decided their opinion of him based on the Chargers game his rookie year. Now while I'll admit he hasn't exactly been good since then he hasn't been that bad again either. Yet most fans talk about him like he's played every game like that Chargers game. I agree with the poster you quoted. Grigson has no ties to him and if he wasn't one of their better o-linemen he would have been cut. Now I am not saying we should be happy that he's one of our better linemen but he did earn his spot. With that said I am sure if the Colts found someone they thought was better they would make a move without thinking twice about it. For now though he's earned his spot on the roster no matter how much some fans thinks he's the worst player in the history of the NFL.

Sounds like some academy award winning director should make a movie about the trials, tribulations and national perception of Jeff Linkenbach.

I can see it now, directed by Steven Spielberg starring Daniel Radcliff from the Harry Potter movies as a young Jeff Linkenbach and Micky Rourke as the older Jeff.

I just have to think of a name now. After that I can write a script and send it in to Stephen Spielberg.

The Curious Case of Jeff Linkenbach

Jeff Linkenbach: The Man, The Myth, The Legend

The Missing Link

The Human Turnstile - Superhero movie....Mike McGlynn as The Moveable Blob. Tony Ugoh as The Immeasurable Bust. Mike Pollak as The Invisible Lineman.

Harry Potter and the Mediocre But Versatile Lineman

Instead of 'The Blind Side'.......'The Other Side'

All kidding aside though, I agree with you zt......

He may not be ideal, but any time you have a guy fight their way onto a roster as an UDFA, and stick around for 3 years, you've got someone that can play the game. As depth, and a guy that can play 4 different positions, he has some value to our team.

National football post has a good article about olinemen. http://www.nationalf...Blitz-3466.html

Also this was a good article ^^^^^

I liked that quote by Shanahan, 'Everybody says we don't have a good right tackle. I say show me who does.' That really does sum up the state of right tackle play in this league. There are two or three pretty good ones, a few respectable ones, and the rest are either very mediocre or just plain bad. Justice is on the bridge between mediocre and respectable IMO.

your mistaking one play for consistent atrociousness

Link serves a purpose he is our backup, we have to have someone, we have a lack of funds so he is here till we have the funds for someone better to come along, he has consistently proven hes got slow feet and poor awareness, we just signed two players at his position

Link is closer to bottom of the pile in terms of good than he is middle of the road. He did however look better at the LT spot than he has all other spots. It even that isn't saying a lot. I commend his tenacity for staying on an NFL roster as an UDFA though, that's a task and his dream plays out.

So my question to you all, if you could land 1 RT in the league, what is your top 5 list to choose from? Remember the days with Adam meadows and Glenn? That was a solid set of tackles.

The Curious Case of Jeff Linkenbach

Jeff Linkenbach: The Man, The Myth, The Legend

The Missing Link

The Human Turnstile - Superhero movie....Mike McGlynn as The Moveable Blob. Tony Ugoh as The Immeasurable Bust. Mike Pollak as The Invisible Lineman.

Harry Potter and the Mediocre But Versatile Lineman

Instead of 'The Blind Side'.......'The Other Side'

haha that's great! What about here we go....

The Curious Missing Legend of Human Turnstile but Versetile Mediocre Other Side Lineman Jeff Linkinbach

That has a ring to it!

how so?

The non-stop this guy stinks and he needs to be gone threads and comments in other threads. And I'm sure when he is gone people will find somebody else to turn their ire to and say the same things about him. I can guarantee you one thing and unless you played in the NFL at a high level he can play better than any of us sitting at our computers. How about cutting the guy some slack and not waiting with baited breath for the next time he flubs up?

Visual impressions are the hardest to overcome with fans by players. We fans are not technicians of the film room, we are really only left with the impressions of what we see. Unfortunately, Link left an indelible impression as a rookie that will never leave us, and became a YouTube legend on roller skates - knocking down the greatest QB of all-time on the receiving end of what looks more like a WWF smackdown than a football play.

You make some good points in this post. I'd just like to point out that not everyone who thinks Linkenbach is a bad lineman is convinced of that just because of one play. That one play was the defining moment, but it's not the entire case against him. It's just the star witness for the prosecution.

As a matter of fact, the Linkenbacle of 2010 says more to me about the coaching staff than it does about the player. It really was a decidedly bad decision. Some of us questioned it at the time, not because of Linkenbach (he played decently earlier that year in a start for Charlie Johnson), but because the player he replaced -- Mike Pollak -- was playing fine at the time. That offensive line had a lot of issues, but it wasn't Pollak's fault. It would have made more sense to pull Ryan Diem than Pollak, especially if you're putting a guy on the field who has never played guard before.

The non-stop this guy stinks and he needs to be gone threads and comments in other threads. And I'm sure when he is gone people will find somebody else to turn their ire to and say the same things about him. I can guarantee you one thing and unless you played in the NFL at a high level he can play better than any of us sitting at our computers. How about cutting the guy some slack and not waiting with baited breath for the next time he flubs up?

Brcause its a very short wait? That seems like a good enough reason to me

Oh, Another O-Line Thread.

*Exits Thread*

what did you expect? its going to be like this all season simply because there is only 1 game per week so plenty of down time between games which means plenty of people being on here having nothing to talk about most likely in many cases other then the past weeks game. For the most part the year is likely going to revolve around howmuch Luck is improving and already is, how Freeney breaks containment, how we cant wait till next year to get a legit right side of the O Line and so on and so forth, it is how it is

what did you expect? its going to be like this all season simply because there is only 1 game per week so plenty of down time between games which means plenty of people being on here having nothing to talk about most likely in many cases other then the past weeks game. For the most part the year is likely going to revolve around howmuch Luck is improving and already is, how Freeney breaks containment, how we cant wait till next year to get a legit right side of the O Line and so on and so forth, it is how it is

No, I exited because idk much about the O-line. So my input would really just be pointless cause it'd look Dumb