Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Freeney cut after today?

StewieG

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Freeney leaving for Nothing? I don't see Grigson letting that happen. If Freeney is leaving, we're getting something from it imo

That's what I think. I'm pretty sure we would trade him if anything. But I would be shocked if he leaves the team during this year.

If he is gone it would be next year I believe.

Freeney leaving for Nothing? I don't see Grigson letting that happen. If Freeney is leaving, we're getting something from it imo

and trading him is going to be difficult given his contract. that's why he is going to get a one year try out in the new defense

even if we did trade him, we'd have scramble to spend the money from his contract. not sure the exact numbers, but there is a minimum each team must spend

and trading him is going to be difficult given his contract. that's why he is going to get a one year try out in the new defense

even if we did trade him, we'd have scramble to spend the money from his contract. not sure the exact numbers, but there is a minimum each team must spend

If it's that difficult, then he's not going anywhere. Like you said, this is his one year audition. I hope he was saving himself for Week 1, cause he definitely didn't do anything in the 3 games. He's not playing tonight most likely.... so that's something for him to think about

Not going to believe it. I learned my lesson from earlier this year don't believe any report out there. I will wait until I hear it from Mr. Irsay himself or Grigson. That said, i doubt he is going anywhere. If he is, I will be sad but I will get over it. Like I did with Manning. But that means I will have anther jersey to retire then I will have to change my Screename on here.

I guess the uncertainty is valid given his contract, but what the article overlooks is how one thing leads to and foreshadows another. The Colts are not behaving in the front office like a team that doesn't believe they can win this year - at all. Cutting Freeney would be inconsistent with other behavior, even if it is a good long term move.

Not going to believe it. I learned my lesson from earlier this year don't believe any report out there. I will wait until I hear it from Mr. Irsay himself or Grigson. That said, i doubt he is going anywhere. If he is then I will have anther jersey to retire.

So since you're here & your username relates to the Topic. If we do release him after this season, would you change your username? lol

I'm mad that they're blaming Freeney for our lost to the Saints in the Super Bowl. Yeah he had a bum ankle, so what? He still managed to take that lineman for a ride into Brees.

Freeney is one of the LAST people I blame for our loss to the Saints. But 2 names come to mind if they really want to play the "Blame Game".

1. Hank Baskett

2. Jacob Lacey

I'm mad that they're blaming Freeney for our lost to the Saints in the Super Bowl. Yeah he had a bum ankle, so what? He still managed to take that lineman for a ride into Brees.

Freeney is one of the LAST people I blame for our loss to the Saints. But 2 names come to mind if they really want to play the "Blame Game".

1. Hank Baskett

2. Jacob Lacey

Just hearing the name Hank Baskett makes me nauseous.

Let me get this straight...we alread got rid of our best player ever for NOTHING IN RETURN and now we are going to let our second best player walk for NOTHING IN RETURN. That would make me seriously question the competence of the owner.

2nd Best? Who said anything about Releasing Reggie Wayne????

Let me get this straight...we alread got rid of our best player ever for NOTHING IN RETURN and now we are going to let our second best player walk for NOTHING IN RETURN. That would make me seriously question the competence of the owner.

Andrew Luck was nothing?

There isn't a team in the league that will pick up his contract so trading him is out of the question and would have already happened if it was feasible. Freeney has struggled with this transition, there's no questioning that, but I don't think we cut him. He will be an asset for the situational downs when he is doing what he's used to. Seeing him get run over and put on his butt (can't remember the exact play) last week sealed the deal for me. I hate to say it but Freeney won't be back next year. The only way I possibly see a trade happening is if someone loses their stud bookend before the deadline and they're a playoff contender.

honestly i wouldn't be shocked if freeney were released. if he isn't a colt this season, that's the most likely scenario, not that i think it will happen. we had no other choice with manning either.

fans who think they know more about running a football team, of course, would flood message boards and call in sports radio shows with their negative complaints :blah:

When Pagano said/say the "Freeney is going to be Suggs," logical thought would say he would be playing the Suggs role in the Colts 3-4 (disguised with 4-3) not a Raven on PUP.....Freeney will give this team 100% until he drops....so will his brother in arms Mayhem!!! (Mathis) :)

With how much money he makes compared to his likely worth to the team in 3-4, it isn't the craziest thing to think of. Hughes has already shown he is much, much better in the 3-4 and he's playing with attitude as well which is always a plus in football.

I don't want them to release Freeney, but I wouldn't be super ticked either. As long as they at least attempted to trade him first.

Not going to believe it. I learned my lesson from earlier this year don't believe any report out there. I will wait until I hear it from Mr. Irsay himself or Grigson. That said, i doubt he is going anywhere. If he is, I will be sad but I will get over it. Like I did with Manning. But that means I will have anther jersey to retire then I will have to change my Screename on here.

lol thats why my name is Indianapolis-Colts-Fan......original right? lol

With how much money he makes compared to his likely worth to the team in 3-4, it isn't the craziest thing to think of. Hughes has already shown he is much, much better in the 3-4 and he's playing with attitude as well which is always a plus in football.

I don't want them to release Freeney, but I wouldn't be super ticked either. As long as they at least attempted to trade him first.

Yes I think Hughes will thrive in this defense. But Freeney will start every game unless he gets hurt. It will be interesting to see what we do with Freeney next year if he under performs.

I know this is bleacherreport...but well I think its an article well worth posting.

Apparently they think Freeney is not going to be on this team tomorrow.

http://bleacherrepor...dianapolis-colt

3 things....at a time when they have some injuries in the D-line....and we dont know if we can contend for a playoff spot..

Cutting Freeney seems foolish.......although I agree he wont be with us in 2013..

Whavent really played any games yet. No serious games...That's when freeney will get to the passer..

...also...this is thr same situation we were in the day of the draft..and we didnt trade him then

....and as an aside..Is there something I'm missing..?

$14 million obviously isnt the highest salry in the NFL....

But this is the 2nd place I've seen where they SAY it is....

Can someone explain??>?

I'm probably off base, but I think there is only a marginal savings to cut Freeney. Isn't most of his 2012 pay guaranteed? I believe the only ways to substantially reduce his cost would be to restructure/extend his current contract or trade him and let his new team restr/extend him. Someone with better knowledge of his contract sitch?

Especially do not believe a Bleacher Report lol.

I'm probably off base, but I think there is only a marginal savings to cut Freeney. Isn't most of his 2012 pay guaranteed? I believe the only ways to substantially reduce his cost would be to restructure/extend his current contract or trade him and let his new team restr/extend him. Someone with better knowledge of his contract sitch?

I think if they were to cut Freeney loose, they are only on the hook for 5 million of his salary.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, August 30, 2012 - rude/personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, August 30, 2012 - rude/personal shot

If it's that difficult, then he's not going anywhere. Like you said, this is his one year audition. I hope he was saving himself for Week 1, cause he definitely didn't do anything in the 3 games. He's not playing tonight most likely.... so that's something for him to think about

i disagree people can have impacts without making tackles/sacks.. I think he's been making a nice effort to support the run game and jesus you guys its pre-season... ya'll act like making the transition should be soooooo easy, like you yourself if you were a player (and im sure you probably havent played a down in your life) would come in and have an immediate impact...

get real. love my colts fans but stop trolling.. you're sitting on a computer, he's in the league... lets see what happens before you start thinking your mike mayock and know everything on here...

People like to say that because Hughes has been doing well this preseason, Freeney should be cut. I don't buy it. Hughes doesn't have much regular season game experience and they both have the same amount of experience playing in Pagano/Manusky's defense. Not only that, but Freeney has way more experience rushing the passer