Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwight Freeney cut after today?

StewieG

Im still curious how he would do in the regular season though, what I wrote is what I would want IF he was traded.

I still want him to be a Colt but his preseason play has been somewhat questionable. This would be a difficult decision.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pats drafted a Myron Pryor from Kentucky, an NT, in round 7 a couple of drafts ago, didn't they? Ask them to give him and a 5th for Freeney.

It is 3 p.m. and Freeney is still on the roster. When the clock strikes 4 p.m., if he is not released, he is not going anywhere. Funny that Pats got Chandler Jones for a pass rusher in round 1, who looks great in pre-season, also from Syracuse. :)

The deadline is 9pm

I don't understand why he should have played last night. I agree that we should do something with his contract, and I think that was the plan all along by the previous regime.

He should have played last night because he needs the practice. He's learning a new system and he needs all of the practice he can get. Mathis was out there and even Luck was out there. Freeney didn't even suit up.

He should have played last night because he needs the practice. He's learning a new system and he needs all of the practice he can get. Mathis was out there and even Luck was out there. Freeney didn't even suit up.

Mathis played two series. Luck played one. There's not too much practice you can get in a game like this, given how quickly the starters come out on each team. And realistically, I think the time he'll get starting next Sunday is going to far outweigh playing against scrubs in a preseason game.

Mathis played two series. Luck played one. There's not too much practice you can get in a game like this, given how quickly the starters come out on each team. And realistically, I think the time he'll get starting next Sunday is going to far outweigh playing against scrubs in a preseason game.

Mathis played two series = Freeney should have played two series.

Okay, but how much of a difference would those two series played by Freeney really be in his performance once the season starts? I don't think much. And I'm willing to assume that the only reason Mathis played two series is because he missed the two previous games.

Mathis also missed the Redskins game which was the tune up game that might have had something to do with that or it could be because Freeney is slightly older they wanted to give him just a little bit more rest or it could have been they wanted to take a close look at the guy they started in place of Freeney last night to see what he would do with a first team to help make a decision on if they want to keep him or not.

Just an FYI: Brady's cap hit this season is $8 mil.

Freeney was overpaid the moment he signed his new contract. Colts made that mistake with Sanders as well.

Viriludant,

I agree 100%. I like franchises like the Patriots and Steelers that say here's our offer, feel free to test the free market and see what your value is, we'll talk when you get back from your "what am I worth NFL" tour. Kraft and Belicheck did the same thing with Randy Moss and Wes Welker. It's a smart business model to follow. Always pay for current production value right now not previous franchise achievements reached in the past.

Much like Peyton Manning and Austin Collie, Dwight Freeney is well respected and beloved in the city of Indianapolis; it would tough to comprehend #93's possible departure. How do you measure his impact as a mentor in the locker room or on the field exactly? How do you attach monetary value to that? Can a franchise separate his annual salary and production from a wholesome, organizational image and a need to rebuild a team from the ground up? Is Freeney a causality next year? Being a GM is a thankless job isn't it? I have no definitive solutions here just countless questions... haha

Much like Peyton Manning and Austin Collie, Dwight Freeney is well respected and beloved in the city of Indianapolis; it would tough to comprehend #93's possible departure. How do you measure his impact as a mentor in the locker room or on the field exactly? How do you attach monetary value to that? Can a franchise separate his annual salary and production from a wholesome, organizational image and a need to rebuild a team from the ground up? Is Freeney a causality next year? Being a GM is a thankless job isn't it? I have no definitive solutions here just countless questions... haha

You wouldn't think that from some people on this board (just saying)

Wells said though Southwest. Even though he has a large cap number, I think he has earned the chance to at least "tryout" this season in this new scheme. If he doesn't play well then by all means release him, but to call for him to be cut before the season even starts is blasphemy to me. He like, Manning, Wayne and a few others have been cornerstones of this franchise. You mean to tell me after losing Manning, Clark, Saturday, Addai and Brackett people would feel comfortable losing possibly the greatest defensive player the colts have ever had the luxury of having?

Based on what I have seen from Freeney so far and his cap hit and age and 1 year left yeah I'd do the logical thing and trade him to better the franchise over sentimental value and get an extra 5th round pick in the process after compensation we will likely have 1 but 2 would be real nice ( I could be completely wrong like I have stated before and that Freeney comes out and plays great this season but it likely wont happen because he cant contain runs to the outside because of poor angles which in turn adds to not having to worry about his pass rush)