Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

vontae Davis putting the time in

HtownColt

here is Pagano on the first two days with his newly acquired CB:

“I think he’s done a great job because we just threw him out there in the last two days. Looking at the tape, I don’t see a whole lot of mistakes going on. We’re kind of, from a call standpoint, taking it easy on him. But we’ve thrown enough at him to where he’s responded. He was the last guy out of the building yesterday. Everybody got done around 5 or 5:30, and I was just roaming the halls and going to get a bite to eat. I walked by the defensive back room and he was the only guy in there. He had the Washington game on. The calls come up on the bottom of the tape, so he was studying tape. So we sat down and watched a little bit of tape in there. He’s putting the time in, and he’s bound and determined to make this thing work.”

Im liking what im seeing. the extra work he is putting in to get up to speed as soon as he can is a plus. cant wait to see him suit up for real

Coach Pagano is a Fatty! "I was going to get me a bite to eat, then I seen my NEW CB in the room watching film. I had a plate of food, but I didn't offer him any. Coaching is a hungry job, so I pigged out while he watched the film. MMMM, that food was delicious!" :lol: :lol:

But all seriousness, it's great to see that Davis is committed and seems to have his head on straight. This is a good start for him when you're spending time with the Coach already. Liking where this is going

Well you would hope he does stuff like this if he was acquired so late during the season... hopefully AFTER this season he keeps doing this like staying in late.... then i will be impressed.

Nice to see he's putting the effort in though, wishing he would play in the last preseason game

Hopefully he puts the same effort out on the field to get in shape as well. It is a good sign he is invested in this though. Hopefully his issues was with the staff down there and he has himself motivated to be successful. He has the opportunity to be on a really good team the next few years if he brings what he is capable of.

Notice how Pagano said he was the ONLY guy in the defensive backs room? Maybe I am just being picky but I dont like the sound of that, its possible he is the only 1 putting the time in, from the way sunday went and the other two games I wouldn't be shocked

Notice how Pagano said he was the ONLY guy in the defensive backs room? Maybe I am just being picky but I dont like the sound of that, its possible he is the only 1 putting the time in, from the way sunday went and the other two games I wouldn't be shocked

Give him credit for staying late and doing a little extra. Don't take credit away from everyone else who's been here for the entire offseason program and is already up to speed.

that has more to do with him getting up to speed then the work ethic of the other players.

Getting ready to watch Hard Knocks to see how this went down in Miami.

Maybe we should sit him the first 10 games? That way we'll still have a number 1 CB when Powers is done for the season. Or maybe tell Powers he's not at Auburn anymore and we play 16 now.

Getting ready to watch Hard Knocks to see how this went down in Miami.

Maybe we should sit him the first 10 games? That way we'll still have a number 1 CB when Powers is done for the season. Or maybe tell Powers he's not at Auburn anymore and we play 16 now.

I'll be interested to hear how it went down. I don't have HBO. JMV reported on his show earlier today that Miami originally wanted Hilton or Brazill packaged in the deal. Grigson refused.

I'll be interested to hear how it went down. I don't have HBO. JMV reported on his show earlier today that Miami originally wanted Hilton or Brazill packaged in the deal. Grigson refused.

They didn't mention any other players but that may have been cut by HBO. Apparently they were not happy with how inconsistent he's been and the Int where he threw the WR down against the Falcons was a nail in his coffin.

They all said they loved him as a person and that he's a hard worker.

Was pretty interesting. He's like "what'd y'all trade me for." He kind of reminds me of a CB version of Marvin Harrison always with that deer in head lights look he's exhibited in his interviews. Guy does have sick potential though and I hope he uses the trade as fuel to improve himself on a team undergoing massive changes and become an elite NFL player like he has potential to be. The guy is a freakish athlete even if he is supposedly "out of shape."

here is Pagano on the first two days with his newly acquired CB:

“I think he’s done a great job because we just threw him out there in the last two days. Looking at the tape, I don’t see a whole lot of mistakes going on. We’re kind of, from a call standpoint, taking it easy on him. But we’ve thrown enough at him to where he’s responded. He was the last guy out of the building yesterday. Everybody got done around 5 or 5:30, and I was just roaming the halls and going to get a bite to eat. I walked by the defensive back room and he was the only guy in there. He had the Washington game on. The calls come up on the bottom of the tape, so he was studying tape. So we sat down and watched a little bit of tape in there. He’s putting the time in, and he’s bound and determined to make this thing work.”

Im liking what im seeing. the extra work he is putting in to get up to speed as soon as he can is a plus. cant wait to see him suit up for real

where did you get that? id love to hear/read that interview

edit - sorry, i just read that somebody else asked that you already...sorry

Grigson actually started off offering a 5th and 6th round pick lol but got rejected and upgraded to a 2nd

"Ireland told coach Joe Philbin the offer started at a fifth- and sixth-round pick, then went to a third-round pick, then a second-round pick -- which Ireland said was not enough -- to a second and a conditional sixth, which is what the trade brought Miami.

Davis immediate reaction upon being told by Ireland he was traded to the Colts was a desire to call his grandmother.

Ireland told Davis he has the ability to be great, but that the up-and-down waves in his consistency needed to be smaller for it to happen."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=afcsouth&id=40249

Not taking credit away from no one, I would just like to hear of other Corners on the Colts doing it as well after all skill wise and play recognition wise those are the ones that need the most work

How do you know that the guys you are saying need the extra work weren't in the buidling 2 hours before any other player? Or that they took the film home with them?

Not taking credit away from no one, I would just like to hear of other Corners on the Colts doing it as well after all skill wise and play recognition wise those are the ones that need the most work

Maybe if Vontae keeps it up, and shows up big on the field, the other guys will hang around too. That being said, he is catching up, in a new environment. It's no slight to the other players. For all we know, 3 of the other DB's had just walked out of the room. Don't misinterpret that statement. All I see are positives here.

- Eric

Hopefully, this works out for everyone involved. It sounds like this was the wake-up call that Davis really needed. If you watch Hard Knocks, you'll hear the DB coach say that after his initial year, he was "just coasting" and was getting away with it.

This often happens with gifted people, whether its in sports, academics, or anything else... they get by on their God-given abilities for so long, that they never learn the hard lessons. Sometimes they just need to learn to develop a work ethic. It certainly sounds like he's going down that path, according to Pagano's quote.