Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rashaan Melvin: Colts "told me they want me to be back"

MTC

I'm always a little hesitant when it comes to re-signing players who all the sudden have a breakout year before their contract is up. However, when you look at the cornerback free agent market, he is definitely worth the risk.

27 minutes ago, CR91 said:

There go my hopes for Minkah Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick is likely going to be a safety or a hybrid safety/LB in the NFL.  If he was going to play corner, it'd be in nickel packages in the slot.

Melvin is an outside CB, not a safety and it looks like we've got our slot CB covered with Hairston.

Minkah is going to go in the 1st round, and is (IMO) not worth the number 3 pick.. so unless we trade down, probably not much hope to get him anyway.

2 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Fitzpatrick is likely going to be a safety or a hybrid safety/LB in the NFL.  If he was going to play corner, it'd be in nickel packages in the slot.

Melvin is an outside CB, not a safety and it looks like we've got our slot CB covered with Hairston.

Minkah is going to go in the 1st round, and is (IMO) not worth the number 3 pick.. so unless we trade down, probably not much hope to get him anyway.

Minkah can play corner. He's not just a safety. Analyst have even mentioned he could be used as a corner

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Minkah can play corner. He's not just a safety. Analyst have even mentioned he could be used as a corner

He's certainly a very talented player, I just don't think he has the hips to be an outside corner.. though, if we're going to a cover 2, he may not need the hips as much... still, unless we trade out of the #3 slot, I think there is very little chance of us taking him, anyway.

4 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

He's certainly a very talented player, I just don't think he has the hips to be an outside corner.. though, if we're going to a cover 2, he may not need the hips as much... still, unless we trade out of the #3 slot, I think there is very little chance of us taking him, anyway.

I agree. I have done mocks of us trading down and still drafting him

1 hour ago, MTC said:

I'm always a little hesitant when it comes to re-signing players who all the sudden have a breakout year before their contract is up. However, when you look at the cornerback free agent market, he is definitely worth the risk.

Resigning him is better than letting him go to be a Star elsewhere(that was the Colts of my childhood)

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He didn't, I was mocking that Post. People Post some of the funniest stuff. There is no reason why we shouldn't bring him back, he was Good last season and is only 28. It wont be for 10 Billion a year either lmao 

Been Focusing on NDWBB, PCHS BB, and the GCYC so I thought I had missed something 

Ballard said he wants to create a culture where they grow and keep their own. Rewarding a guy like Melvin for his stellar play would be doing that.

But anything more than like 8 million and I'd rather just throw the money at a Malcolm Butler, or draft a Minkah Fitzpatrick. Melvin is solid, but he's not otherworldly. 

3 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Doesn’t mean he’s coming back to be fair. If he prices himself out the. I can’t see Ballard keeping a 28yo CB with 1 good year.

I’d like to see him back but not on a high priced deal.

Actually he can't price himself out of the market. It is a bidding process based on market interest.
Ballard knows we are going nowhere next season. The question is will he go with inexpensive developmental youth at that position to have more $$$ to rollover for our future Big Ticket FA adds. 
 Most likely Melvin would get all of his guaranteed $$$ in year one.

59 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You don't reward a player who has earned a spot a cheap contract. Not good business.

:sigh:  He's earned a roster spot but that doesn't mean he's worth Xavier Rhodes or Richard Sherman money. He's a serviceable player, not elite. His contract will show that.