Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Finally Found out How McDaniels Has Grown Since Denver

Defjamz26

So many times during this process, people have always just loosely thrown around sentiments about how McDaniels has “learned from his time in Denver” or that he’s “grown and matured since his first stint”. People have often just thrown it around without much backing or proof. Well, I’ve finally found an article that really explains what he learned and how And chronicles his growth. Long, but good read

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots?share=other

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

So many times during this process, people have always just loosely thrown around sentiments about how McDaniels has “learned from his time in Denver” or that he’s “grown and matured since his first stint”. People have often just thrown it around without much backing or proof. Well, I’ve finally found an article that really explains what he learned and how And chronicles his growth. Long, but good read

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666428-the-redemption-of-josh-mcdaniels-failure-taught-pats-oc-how-to-pick-his-spots?share=other

yep, that article's been linked a few times.  It is a good read though.

Great article. Love to read this about McDaniels, and I have full confidence he will lead us to a SB before Luck retires. Already had confidence in his play-calling ability, but now I have more confidence in him as a coach, and now a leader as well to bring this team together as a unit to the promised land. Looks like McDaniels has matured and found himself. Great hire by Ballard, and I hope for the best for many seasons to come!

Doyel  obviously doesn’t buy it according to his article yesterday. He’s in the once a punk, always a punk school. He’s probably right about McDaniels but if being beloved was important, then Pagano would be a Hall of Fame coach — and guys like Lombardi, Belichick and Noll would have been failures.

58 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Doyel  obviously doesn’t buy it according to his article yesterday. He’s in the once a punk, always a punk school. He’s probably right about McDaniels but if being beloved was important, then Pagano would be a Hall of Fame coach — and guys like Lombardi, Belichick and Noll would have been failures.

Doyel speaks from experience in regards to this...

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Bro that article was linked and discussed on here 1000 times. Not sure how you missed it. It was available the whole time you were arguing

Not sure how I missed it. I thought there were only a handful of people who even use BR here anyways lol

17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not sure how I missed it. I thought there were only a handful of people who even use BR here anyways lol

People have been pointing you to that article for two weeks. Glad you finally decided to read it. :)

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Read it last night. Man it's lonnngggg... and I'm not sure how much of it i buy, it being BR. 

It's written by Dan Pompei, a legit NFL reporter for a couple decades, well before BR became a thing. They employ some credible reporters now, not just a bunch of Internet hacks anymore. 

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

Doyel has really started to * me off this past year and his most recent article about McDaniels is just another great reason to hate him. While he does have a role as the "devils-advocate" or the "other side" type personality, he definitely takes it WAY too far at times, including this most recent work. 

The thing that I believe is LOGIC. McDaniels had a terrible time at Denver, no doubt about it. We know it, the league knows it, the players in our locker room have heard it, and HE KNOWS IT. He knows that in all likelihood, this could be his last head coach gig. Whether that goes for 4 years and he ends up being fired or that he has a 10+ year career in Indy with multiple Super Bowl rings, is sorta up to him and how he approaches the job. He knows that if he doesn't clean up some of the negative points from his last gig (arrogance, punk-like attitude, power-hungry, etc), he won't survive here long with Ballard. It is in his best self-interest to change and he seems like he knows it considering how he has talked about his Denver experiences PUBLICLY. And on top of everything, he doesn't have to be a GM as well. He only has to worry about coaching. 

Also one last thing, I believe completely in Ballard. I don't think Ballard can be easily fooled by a Josh McDaniels "faking" his change in attitude/approach to coaching. 

I think the chance of McDaniels being an above-average coach (to potentially a great hire) is much higher than him being a bust as Doyel seems to think. Just my two cents.

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

People have been pointing you to that article for two weeks. Glad you finally decided to read it. :)

It's written by Dan Pompei, a legit NFL reporter for a couple decades, well before BR became a thing. They employ some credible reporters now, not just a bunch of Internet hacks anymore. 

Must be hard for them to kick that reputation.

8 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Must be hard for them to kick that reputation.

Clearly. 

Even after they hired good writers, they stuck with the slideshow format for a while. I didn't start reading any of their stuff until they ditched that for good.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Great article. Love to read this about McDaniels, and I have full confidence he will lead us to a SB before Luck retires. Already had confidence in his play-calling ability, but now I have more confidence in him as a coach, and now a leader as well to bring this team together as a unit to the promised land. Looks like McDaniels has matured and found himself. Great hire by Ballard, and I hope for the best for many seasons to come!

I wasn't big on hiring McDaniels I wasn't a fan at all. But now I've accepted it and am excited about what he can do. Let's get this party started. 

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

He's going to be the coach so might as well accept it and hope for the best. But I understand totally where you're coming from. 

haha, i know...when he is announced officially i will get behind it as i want the Colts to win obviously, until he is hired i can still voice my displeasure !

5 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

haha, i know...when he is announced officially i will get behind it as i want the Colts to win obviously, until he is hired i can still voice my displeasure !

Yeah, I wanted Shurmur but we didn't even interview him. I guess because Ballard doesn't already have a relationship with him like he does with McDaniels. But I think you still interview him you might build a repour with him. But it looks like he's going to the Giants. 

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Bro that article was linked and discussed on here 1000 times. Not sure how you missed it. It was available the whole time you were arguing

Not only that, it was also written back in 2016. So for about a year and a half, that would probably be one of the higher ranking pieces about McDaniels that would come up in a simple Google search.

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Josh was a grown man when he went to Denver and he is still the same grown man, im not convinved.

I find it somewhat ironic that you don't think a grown man can learn from a bad experience and adjust his approach. Is that because he's too stubborn, or is it because you're too stubborn?

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah I think because there were so many 10+ page topics on the same thing I just missed it because I didn’t read through them all.

I suppose it’s a move I have to get behind though. You know I wasn’t in favor of McDaniels. But I am, and have been a supporter of Ballard since day 1. So if this is Ballard’s guy, I have to trust it if I’m a believer in Ballard. I have to believe that the same meticulousness he has when it comes to scouting players and deciding who makes the 53, he has when it comes to finding the right fit for the Colts. I trust Josh can handle the X’s and O’s of the job. I just hope the article is right and he has really learned what it means to truly be a coach. Seems like it though.

There are direct quotes from him in the story about how he failed, and it’s hard for any grown man to publicly admit failure. I’m glad it’s his own self admitted failures and lessons learned and not just assumption on the part of a writer trying to make a fluff piece.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I think because there were so many 10+ page topics on the same thing I just missed it because I didn’t read through them all.

I suppose it’s a move I have to get behind though. You know I wasn’t in favor of McDaniels. But I am, and have been a supporter of Ballard since day 1. So if this is Ballard’s guy, I have to trust it if I’m a believer in Ballard. I have to believe that the same meticulousness he has when it comes to scouting players and deciding who makes the 53, he has when it comes to finding the right fit for the Colts. I trust Josh can handle the X’s and O’s of the job. I just hope the article is right and he has really learned what it means to truly be a coach. Seems like it though.

There are direct quotes from him in the story about how he failed, and it’s hard for any grown man to publicly admit failure. I’m glad it’s his own self admitted failures and lessons learned and not just assumption on the part of a writer trying to make a fluff piece.

I first read the article a while ago, and for me, it's just a piece of the puzzle. I'm still very concerned about his ability to lead a staff and a team, and I'm still concerned about his ability to thrive without Belichick and Brady, just like everyone else that's left the Pats.

But I don't think it's hard to believe that he can overcome whatever it was that tripped him up last time.

As for the article, it seems like he agreed to a do a piece with Pompei with the specific aim of rehabbing his public image, in the event that he wound up taking a job. Smart on his part, but it's definitely media relations. So while he says the right things, we'll have to see if he actually does the right things. 

I'm still not a mcdaniels guy, but then again, I didn't  want Caldwell either and he got us to 14-0 in his first season and probably should have been 16-0.(to quote Herm Edwards"you play to win the game"). not lose on purpose by pulling starters. So anything is possible.

3 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I'm still not a mcdaniels guy, but then again, I didn't  want Caldwell either and he got us to 14-0 in his first season and probably should have been 16-0.(to quote Herm Edwards"you play to win the game"). not lose on purpose by pulling starters. So anything is possible.

I think we would have lost that last game in Buffalo anyway . We got smoked in bad weather.  imo.

Here's the Simms article. He was there during the Denver fiasco. His take on Mcdaniels is quite opposite DJ Williams and Berger

“I think Josh is a mini Bill Belichick, for my money,” Simms, a lead NFL analyst for Bleacher Report and former NFL quarterback said, via The Post. “He was one of the best coaches I’ve been around. There’s nobody that’s more detailed on a day-to-day basis than Josh McDaniels, other than Bill Belichick, but they’re almost the same guy in a lot of ways.”

According to Simms, McDaniels got a raw deal from management during his tenure with the Broncos.

“Josh got an unfair shake in Denver, and I don’t think that’s what people really realize,’’ Simms said

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/Chris-Simms-Josh-McDaniels-will-be-a-special-head-coach-113262265

5 hours ago, Two_pound said:

It was Polian who decided to pull the starters, not Caldwell.  Just saying.

16 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Josh was a grown man when he went to Denver and he is still the same grown man, im not convinved.

A 33 year old leader is not the same person as a 40 year old leader. In terms of understanding one's own self and your own influence over others, 33 years old is not a grown man. Getting there, but not a wise leader. Just not. In terms of professional careers, 33 years old is just getting started...

...yet someone gave him complete control of a billion dollar product. What happened in Denver is on Pat Bolen and and Joe Ellis. But Bolen wanted exciting, different - he wanted a wonder kid who was opposite of Mike Shannahan. He got it. The outcome was foreseeable and predictable.

None of this means Josh McDaniels is the same person he was in 2009; and the Colts organization is so much the better for it. What we are getting is a head coach who knows what he is getting himself into. Who is still young enough to craft a lengthy legacy with the team. He is still a young coach with a brilliant football mind, but who has already had his failure as a head coach. Thank GOD we aren't wasting this opportunity on any other brilliant football mind who has never been in charge of the whole team before. We tried that last time.

I hire people for a living. And Josh McDaniels to the Colts is what we call, "a good fit."

Although I wanted Steve Wilks I think the Mcdaniels move has the best short term and long term implications if it works out. Luck could be in this same system for the next 10 years. Now its a similar situation to what Peyton had. It actually could be even better to be honest. As long as its productive we dont have to worry about the coach leaving for another gig. If the OC leaves we will just select another coach to implement Mcdaniels system. The system will remain the same.