Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After OL, ILB is the Biggest Need by Far

Defjamz26

It’s nothing we didn’t already know, but the coverage from the ILBs was poor. Bostic was one of the many Colts who allowed the long catch by Walker. Later on he gave up the TD to Walker. Morrison is bad as well. Yes the offensive line needs to be fixed, but the LB play is horrendous. The Colts need to draft 2 LBs high in the draft. This cannot continue. Our LB play is just as bad, if not worse than the Raiders. Maybe it’s time to see what Walker has.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never liked Bostic, he's always a step slow in coverage and when he blitzes.

I had hope for Morrison, but it looks like those positive reports out of camp were more wishful thinking then fact.

This dline would actually be really good if we added a real rush olb.

No question that the ILBs are a weak link in an otherwise much better defense. i have hope that a strong Free Agent can be had here; the D needs some instant improvement that only experience (together with athleticism) can bring. Find another pass rusher as well, and I think you'd see some of the best defense the Colts have played since they've come to town. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I am tired of Morrison

Yep. Hated that draft pick from day one. The guy tested like an OL at his pro day. Those are obviously just data points...and not the end-all-be-all...but they also should have been a hell of a red flag.

Sure, he had the injury, but that even more of a red flag. And then the Colts pick him in the 4th round...with the pick they gained from trading back for TJ Green (passing on a few much better prospects). What a terrible set of decisions...and yet another defensive player drafted that doesn't belong in the NFL (and likely won't be sooner than later). And while Grigson was bad, the more recent examples have Pagano's fingerprints all over them (Smith, Green, Morrison). I expect to see the new HC and Ballard clean house of these leftovers after this season.

Another thing I am looking forward with a new coaching staff is bringing in a different philosophy at the ILB position. These slow two-down ILBs are a liability. The Colts need athletic ILBs that can cover. I am still salty that they passed over Zach Brown in consecutive offseasons...only to now see him thrive in a Manusky-coached defense. The entire ILB group needs to be rebuilt, with the exception of a depth piece or two. 

19 minutes ago, Hoose said:

No question that the ILBs are a weak link in an otherwise much better defense. i have hope that a strong Free Agent can be had here; the D needs some instant improvement that only experience (together with athleticism) can bring. Find another pass rusher as well, and I think you'd see some of the best defense the Colts have played since they've come to town. 

Between FA and trades, there will be a couple available. Zach Brown would have been perfect to lock up for 3 years this past offseason, but the Colts passed. 

The real question is if the Colts are ready to invest an early draft pick in the position. This seems to be a fairly deep class for ILB, so now might be the time to pull the trigger. Would love to get Smith from Georgia...but he's likely a 1st round pick. There should still be some other players available in rounds 3-4.

I'm still a proponent for trading back in the 1st round and with 2 first rounders pick the absolute best offensive lineman on the board and the best linebacker (preferably one that can cover). You add those two difference makers PLUS Andrew coming back.....we win the division next year and make a deep playoff run. 

27 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'm still a proponent for trading back in the 1st round and with 2 first rounders pick the absolute best offensive lineman on the board and the best linebacker (preferably one that can cover). You add those two difference makers PLUS Andrew coming back.....we win the division next year and make a deep playoff run. 

You are not going to get 2 first rounders for our one when trading back.  Unless you find one of the 2 teams that have a multiple 1st rounders to trade with.  One is Cleveland so they are out.  Buffalo is a possibility but as of right now we would be moving back to 20 and 21 for both of Buffalo's picks.  If we drop from say #5 to 20 we better get both firsts and a second.  We would also be moving back to the area where talent some what drops...guys are ranked to be late 1st or 2nd rounders (not blue chip guys). 

If Luck isn't ready by the time the draft rolls around next Spring, the clear greatest need is qb and luckily several good ones should be available. Brissett has potential but will need competition. We have an empty jersey backing him up now. If/when Luck returns, we can trade one of the other two.

After OL, we need more OL. Then let's add some more OL just to be safe. And I might sprinkle some more OL on top of that, as a garnish.

I still think edge rusher is the primary need after OL, but I don't think we'll be able to do anything meaningful about that in free agency. Next would be ILB, for me. 

But honestly, I'd be revamping a lot of this roster next season. I think we need to do some things differently at WR and RB, and I'm not super excited about the secondary either, although we have some young guys in the mix back there. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@Jared Cisneros you are pretty good with Draft stuff, if Barkley is there for us would you take him? We may be Top 3 or 4.

3 or 4 probably not going to happen, we are in the crap-stink with too many teams in the proximity of "really bad".  Based on the fact that we play some horrible teams yet, we have a coaching staff looking to scratch anything out for jobs elsewhere, and we generally always mess up our chances in the late season with meaningless wins, I'd say we will have 8th or 9th.  See below if season were to end today. 

edit:  look at the bright-side, which team is grigson associated with?

Houston Texans 4 6 0 .400 3-3 1-3 1-2 3-4 267 262 +5 W1
New York Jets 4 7 0 .364 3-3 1-4 2-3 4-4 228 257 -29 L2
Miami Dolphins 4 7 0 .364 2-3 2-4 1-2 3-4 174 289 -115 L5
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 4 7 0 .364 3-2 1-5 0-3 2-5 223 262 -39 L1
Indianapolis Colts 3 8 0 .273 2-4 1-4 1-3 2-5 195 300 -105 L2
Chicago Bears 3 8 0 .273 2-4 1-4 0-4 1-8 177 252 -75 L4
Denver Broncos 3 8 0 .273 3-3 0-5 2-3 2-6 197 280 -83 L7
New York Giants 2 9 0 .182 1-4 1-5 0-3 0-8 172 267 -95 L1
San Francisco 49ers 1 10 0 .091 1-5 0-5 0-5 1-9 187 284 -97 L1
Cleveland Browns 0 11 0

1 hour ago, Superman said:

After OL, we need more OL. Then let's add some more OL just to be safe. And I might sprinkle some more OL on top of that, as a garnish.

I still think edge rusher is the primary need after OL, but I don't think we'll be able to do anything meaningful about that in free agency. Next would be ILB, for me. 

But honestly, I'd be revamping a lot of this roster next season. I think we need to do some things differently at WR and RB, and I'm not super excited about the secondary either, although we have some young guys in the mix back there. 

Edge rusher has guys we can survive with in Sheard and Simon. Plus we’ll see if Basham can develop. But ILB is an immediate need that we can’t survive with what we have. All we have are slow, two down ILBs that can’t cover a lick and can’t blitz. We get abused in the middle of the field.

If I’m Ballard I’m signing Norwell or Pugh in the offseason to play guard. Then in the 1st round you draft Connor Williams, OT but right after I’m drafting the best coverage ILBs in the draft round 2 and another in rounds 3 or 4. We have the worst LBs in the league. Pass rush can wait IMO

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Edge rusher has guys we can survive with in Sheard and Simon. Plus we’ll see if Basham can develop. But ILB is an immediate need that we can’t survive with what we have. All we have are slow, two down ILBs that can’t cover a lick and can’t blitz. We get abused in the middle of the field.

If I’m Ballard I’m signing Norwell or Pugh in the offseason to play guard. Then in the 1st round you draft Connor Williams, OT but right after I’m drafting the best coverage ILBs in the draft round 2 and another in rounds 3 or 4. We have the worst LBs in the league. Pass rush can wait IMO

I think we need new ILBs for sure, but I think that can be addressed with better athletes, not necessarily top shelf players, though that would be nice. I also think coaching and better pass rush would help the pass defense to every part of the field. I would never think pass rush can wait. I always want more pass rush, and the higher you pick in the draft, the more likely you can come away with an elite prospect.

You already know I'm not targeting any position in the draft, but I would definitely be all in on Norwell or Pugh if they hit free agency.

3 hours ago, azcolt said:

If Luck isn't ready by the time the draft rolls around next Spring, the clear greatest need is qb and luckily several good ones should be available. Brissett has potential but will need competition. We have an empty jersey backing him up now. If/when Luck returns, we can trade one of the other two.

Whole heartily agree.  Time to look for anew QB.

Go Colts!

6 hours ago, krunk said:

I am tired of Morrison

Haphazard undisciplined play with the added sense of not comprehending his role and responsibilities.  

Feels terribly like a huge liability lurking that will ultimately cost us a lot some day with his unwillingness to understand when the play is over.  

There have been times when I thought he might be able to be coached and led into being a better player, but that light is getting dimmer every week.

Kind of like Burfict only not nearly as good.

Yeah, I have seen enough.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I been preaching OL and pass rusher all season. Those two positions are the most needed IMO. Protect the QB and run block. A pass rusher would help the defense across the board.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think we need new ILBs for sure, but I think that can be addressed with better athletes, not necessarily top shelf players, though that would be nice. I also think coaching and better pass rush would help the pass defense to every part of the field. I would never think pass rush can wait. I always want more pass rush, and the higher you pick in the draft, the more likely you can come away with an elite prospect.

You already know I'm not targeting any position in the draft, but I would definitely be all in on Norwell or Pugh if they hit free agency.

You have been having private conversations with COLTS449 haven't you? :D

1 minute ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I have

Then why are you here partner?  It drives you!:lol::lol:

Just funning around buddy.  I love that kid he is a special talent, but I think we are a long way away from making him or anyone like him a priority.  No question he would be a great addition to our team, just wish we had other holes filled already so it would make sense.

Pass Rushers are this team’s biggest needs other than OLine. Then I’d go ILB’s.  Then again Manusky showed that you can manufacture a respectable pass rush with some creativity.  But I’d still prefer a stud coming off the edge...

With that being said, our most important needs are the right coaches. Because ours are lacking.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I trust your judgement, I think we should go O.Line and Pass Rushers.

Could probably play pin the tail on the donkey on a board that has both side of the ball positions on it and we surely improve noticeably, lol

Just now, Smoke317 said:

Pass Rushers are this team’s biggest needs other than OLine. Then I’d go ILB’s.  Then again Manusky showed that you can manufacture a respectable pass rush with some creativity.  But I’d still prefer a stud coming off the edge...

With that being said, our most important needs are the right coaches. Because ours are lacking.

Harbaugh, Harbaugh, Harbaugh, play the drums lmao 

8 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Just funning around buddy.  I love that kid he is a special talent, but I think we are a long way away from making him or anyone like him a priority.  No question he would be a great addition to our team, just wish we had other holes filled already so it would make sense.

I don't know about you but fillin' some holes would be welcomed....jest sayin'!