Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy Raye has been let go

Everyone

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

i thought pagano's conversation with at least one pick (by phone) was a bit odd.  being a bit harsh... not like congratulating him but saying , well you need to be ready to come here and work, just get ready to work, blah blah blah..... perhaps pagano is like that to all the picks on the phone, but it struck me different.  and ballard was within earshot as I recall.  (just me reading too much into it I'm sure).

i re-watched it, he indeed did congratulate him.  he also said, can't be interested, gotta be committed, etc.  as i said before, i read way too much into it.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yes and no. He did say they'd only "dabble" in free agency, then proceeded to sign the most free agents in the history of the franchise. He also said he would go strictly BPA in the draft, but I feel like outside of the first 2 rounds, there were better players on the board than the guys that were drafted.

Neither of those particular things bother me, as I'm happy with the results of both, but it's enough to convince me not to expect Ballard to tip his hand in press conferences and radio interviews.

How do you know what BPA is? That's an opinion. Maybe in CB opinion he did go BPA.

I am pleased by this move. I remember once grigson got fired and a lot of fans wanted raye as gm. I was obviously on the side that wanted to clean house with new gm and hc. So glad about the direction this franchise appears to be heading. Even with Paganos weaknesses as a coach I believe this team will win the division.

2 minutes ago, Jake stone said:

How do you know what BPA is? That's an opinion. Maybe in CB opinion he did go BPA.

I know Zach Banner wasn't the best player available, and I know we passed on Tim Williams twice. I'm not one to complain about either because overall I loved this draft, but everyone assumed Ballard was going to go strictly BPA no matter what, and I saw him addressing needs while still obtaining a high level of talent.

There was a picture of the Colts war room where everyone one was smiling EXCEPT RAYE! Struck me funny when I saw it, and did a double take on it. Can't say I am surprised, but I do think Raye  was a good guy. I have a feeling Ballard has thought on how things get done, and has thought about it for some time and Raye wasn't on board. Raye on top of that may have been disappointed as to not getting the job and resented Ballard if he didn't take his input into consideration? Who knows? Good luck to Raye in the future!

4 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

There was a picture of the Colts war room where everyone one was smiling EXCEPT RAYE! Struck me funny when I saw it, and did a double take on it. Can't say I am surprised, but I do think Raye  was a good guy. I have a feeling Ballard has thought on how things get done, and has thought about it for some time and Raye wasn't on board. Raye on top of that may have been disappointed as to not getting the job and resented Ballard if he didn't take his input into consideration? Who knows? Good luck to Raye in the future!

Any link to that picture or can you post it if you have it? Sounds funny 

13 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Chuck might be well advised to start visiting with listing agents. I assume Summers in frosty Indy are easier for house sales than December-January.

Just how do you come up with that?

If Pagano does a good job this season IMO he is not going anywhere.

I also happen to think he will do a good job so now we wait and see.  

17 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Any link to that picture or can you post it if you have it? Sounds funny 

Go to Colts.com the story of the grades are in there is a picture of the group, IMO I can see & feel the disdain between Raye and Ballard, & a little bit, with Pagano to a lesser extent. Pagano and his staff our going to be under eminence pressure to coach these guys up and get the best out of them, see progress. I think if the players grow he is safe, regardless of the wins and loss's but if the players don't grow he will be done in a heartbeat!

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just how do you come up with that?

If Pagano does a good job this season IMO he is not going anywhere.

I also happen to think he will do a good job so now we wait and see.  

I agree I think Pagano stays, but he is going to have to coach his butt off!! Ballard is watching. I can hear an urgency in Pagano's his voice.

5 hours ago, #12. said:

Seems nearly impossible that Chuck will survive this season.  A new GM wants his own guys.  

No, he's a lame duck coach even if they slip into the playoffs. Which makes him still being here all the more curious. 

5 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Ballard isn't messing around. 

Image result for like machine gun meme

Should be a dump truck full of pink slips lol. Between players and staff its definitely a Blue Monday for those inside the organization tied to Grigson.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I know Zach Banner wasn't the best player available, and I know we passed on Tim Williams twice. I'm not one to complain about either because overall I loved this draft, but everyone assumed Ballard was going to go strictly BPA no matter what, and I saw him addressing needs while still obtaining a high level of talent.

Could have been best player available on our board....Tim along with many other players weren't likely on our board when you factor in medical and off field issues. Zach has A LOT of potential. Not saying he will reach it but like CB said...he can potentially play 3 positions for us and if we can get his weight down and his muscle up after a year or two in our program I could see him having a great deal of value in that Joe Reitz kinda role.

5 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Ballard's bringing in his guys. Raye was a big part of the last regime so I get Ballard wanting to move on for a fresh start.

This also makes me very confident that Ballard's going to be watching our coaches closely.

I think it's curtains for Pagano after this season.  Ballard should have had the right to pick his own head coach anyway in my opinion.  Having to switch coaches next year just slows down the rebuild process. 

4 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

i thought pagano's conversation with at least one pick (by phone) was a bit odd.  being a bit harsh... not like congratulating him but saying , well you need to be ready to come here and work, just get ready to work, blah blah blah..... perhaps pagano is like that to all the picks on the phone, but it struck me different.  and ballard was within earshot as I recall.  (just me reading too much into it I'm sure).

Ballard probably got annoyed by Chuck telling a 21 yr old kid he was the next Eddie Reed and told him to zip the hyperbole lol

13 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I think it's curtains for Pagano after this season.  Ballard should have had the right to pick his own head coach anyway in my opinion.  Having to switch coaches next year just slows down the rebuild process. 

We can only hope

16 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I agree. It wasn't just Grigson that was the problem. Pagano definitely helped in that regard. The writing does look to be on the wall for a new coach in 2018. And if that's truly the case, then I don't understand why Ballard was not given the opportunity to get his own coach for 2017

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Go to Colts.com the story of the grades are in there is a picture of the group, IMO I can see & feel the disdain between Raye and Ballard, & a little bit, with Pagano to a lesser extent. Pagano and his staff our going to be under eminence pressure to coach these guys up and get the best out of them, see progress. I think if the players grow he is safe, regardless of the wins and loss's but if the players don't grow he will be done in a heartbeat!

Wow, that's pretty cool you can read peoples mind just by the look on their faces.

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

042817_draft-room-pagano-raye-ballard_62

If you're talking about this then I don't really see it. They seem fine to me. But it's your opinion and obviously we all read things differently 

5 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

That's what I'm hoping! this is awesome to me it makes the odds of chuck returning a lot slimmer if he sucks again 

Yeah I think Ballard has shown he's pretty no nonsense. He's quick to cut players and doesn't mind trading someone. Doesn't care about experience, money, etc...It seems he's all about the team being the best from top to bottom. So if Pagano is the weak link, he'll be out the door quicker than Dwayne Allen was.

5 hours ago, Imrryr said:

They said specifically its not wins that they are judging pagano by. I feel like a lot of people are forgetting this convenient side of the coin cause they want him gone but ballards been true to everything else he said.

Which I think is because there were serious flaws with the talent (Grigson) and coaching (Pagano) of the team even when we were winning. They just became more magnified when we started losing. And I agree with that sentiment. The team needs to look good and well coached. They need to come out with a game plan and execute it. They need to be able to make half time adjustments if necessary and hold on to leads. I also think the days of being swept by the Texans, getting blown out by the Steelers, and barely beating scrub teams are over. If this team doesn't look like a well oiled machine all 16 games then Pagano is likely gone even on a 9-7 record.

35 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I agree. It wasn't just Grigson that was the problem. Pagano definitely helped in that regard. The writing does look to be on the wall for a new coach in 2018. And if that's truly the case, then I don't understand why Ballard was not given the opportunity to get his own coach for 2017

Because according to the reports Ballard and Pagano hit it off very good. IMO there is no writing on the wall for Pagano. His job will come down to just like any other head coaches job in the NFL and that is him doing his job. Just because Ballard was hired as GM does not automatically mean a new head coach is in order.

A lot of this reads like a National Rag magazine with nothing more than personal opinions that means absolutely nothing.

Irsay has already made his statement about Pagano and he is the one who makes the choice in head coach at this point. Is this subject to change? Yes, but not now or the rest of this season.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I think Ballard has shown he's pretty no nonsense. He's quick to cut players and doesn't mind trading someone. Doesn't care about experience, money, etc...It seems he's all about the team being the best from top to bottom. So if Pagano is the weak link, he'll be out the door quicker than Dwayne Allen was.

Which I think is because there were serious flaws with the talent (Grigson) and coaching (Pagano) of the team even when we were winning. They just became more magnified when we started losing. And I agree with that sentiment. The team needs to look good and well coached. They need to come out with a game plan and execute it. They need to be able to make half time adjustments if necessary and hold on to leads. I also think the days of being swept by the Texans, getting blown out by the Steelers, and barely beating scrub teams are over. If this team doesn't look like a well oiled machine all 16 games then Pagano is likely gone even on a 9-7 record.

This team looking like a well oiled machine as you call it is not realistic. There will be too many rookies for that to happen. Just because what looks to be a good draft does not mean it will start out like a good team. It takes time for the rookies and the whole unit to learn to work together. Great teams are not turned on with the snap of a finger or a couple of good draft picks.

There will be times when things will look good but there will also be the times not so much.

But ultimately Pagano will get the blame for all the woes now that Grigson is gone no matter if it's his fault or not.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

This team looking like a well oiled machine as you call it is not realistic. There will be too many rookies for that to happen. Just because what looks to be a good draft does not mean it will start out like a good team. It takes time for the rookies and the whole unit to learn to work together. Great teams are not turned on with the snap of a finger or a couple of good draft picks.

There will be times when things will look good but there will also be the times not so much.

But ultimately Pagano will get the blame for all the woes now that Grigson is gone no matter if it's his fault or not.

So very true!!

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Because according to the reports Ballard and Pagano hit it off very good. IMO there is no writing on the wall for Pagano. His job will come down to just like any other head coaches job in the NFL and that is him doing his job. Just because Ballard was hired as GM does not automatically mean a new head coach is in order.

A lot of this reads like a National Rag magazine with nothing more than personal opinions that means absolutely nothing.

Irsay has already made his statement about Pagano and he is the one who makes the choice in head coach at this point. Is this subject to change? Yes, but not now or the rest of this season.

Pagano has to perform now. He can't have many more coaching blunders like he's had in his tenure. And he has to get his guys to perform from the very start of the game. That is what kills me with Pagano. A coach has to have his team ready to play. We've seen it too many times where the Colts come out flat and that's coaching. Hopefully this will change next season but I do have my doubts

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Finally an intelligent voice of reason.  Well said.

8 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Chuck needs to produce with soft schedule at least playoffs. Otherwise, Ballard will bring in somebody else.

As it stands right now Ballard is not in charge of firing Pagano. Irsay has already said the Colts record will not be the determining factor in Pagano being fired or retained.

59 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

042817_draft-room-pagano-raye-ballard_62

If you're talking about this then I don't really see it. They seem fine to me. But it's your opinion and obviously we all read things differently 

This is it and IMO i see it. I am not shocked Raye is gone, I really thought he would be this morning when I saw it? I just didn't think so soon.