Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T J Lang picking his team today after three visits.

I have to say I am surprised we did not sign one of the FA offensive lineman.  Especially with Reitz retiring and our apparent decision not to resign a few of our own FA OL. Lang was out there for awhile and it appears we were not interested.  Pasztor is still out there.  Could it be that everyone is comfortable with Good, Haag, and Clark filling out the line? Everybody counting on that 2nd. year leap?  Unless something changes I can see OL being one of our draft picks.  Maybe an early one like Kelly to get a plug and play starter say Lamp?

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I have to say I am surprised we did not sign one of the FA offensive lineman.  Especially with Reitz retiring and our apparent decision not to resign a few of our own FA OL. Lang was out there for awhile and it appears we were not interested.  Pasztor is still out there.  Could it be that everyone is comfortable with Good, Haag, and Clark filling out the line? Everybody counting on that 2nd. year leap?  Unless something changes I can see OL being one of our draft picks.  Maybe an early one like Kelly to get a plug and play starter say Lamp?

I know most are real high on most of the draft going the defenses direction but it wouldn't surprise me for one of the top two picks going on the O-line.

I say that partly because of what you brought up but also we need linemen who can block and open running lanes.

4 minutes ago, will426 said:

Line isn't fine by any means and it's talent its durability at times just like how our secondary could be decent if they weren't so damn injured 

And we have no O-line depth.

One injury and we're.....

I think it's an indication about what Ballard thinks of our O-line prospects. He showed he has no compunction about bringing in new people and sending out players he doesn't think work with us going forward. If I had to guess, he sees something good with this O-line - be it as production or as potential for the future. Also, there's still time. They can still bring in depth to create competition.

47 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He signed with the Lions.

What this should tell ALL OF US is that Philbin has assured Ballard that the answers for the starting O-line are already on the roster.

We're not drafting an O-line up high because there's no guarantee that the one we want will be there or that he'd be ready to go from Day 1.

We might still sign someone for depth.....    but that's something entirely different.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

We're not drafting an O-line up high because there's no guarantee that the one we want will be there or that he'd be ready to go from Day 1.

You can say the same about every single other position though.

8 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

You can say the same about every single other position though.

Well...     in general, yeah....

But I'm talking about setting a strategy......   

There are very few O-lineman worth picking high...   so once those guys go,   then what?

But there are lots of depth at other positions that O-line doesn't have.     

As much as I like Lamp,  I don't see the Colts spending the 15th pick to take him one year after we spent the 18th on Kelly and ended up with the 30th ranked defense.

In back to back seasons, the Packers lose starting guards to division rivals.

I think Ballard expects Clark to be ready to start next year.  He could very well foresee a starting 5 of Castonzo/Mewhort/Kelly/Haeg/Clark.  I'd rather see us go after defensive players than offensive linemen

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...     in general, yeah....

But I'm talking about setting a strategy......   

There are very few O-lineman worth picking high...   so once those guys go,   then what?

But there are lots of depth at other positions that O-line doesn't have.     

As much as I like Lamp,  I don't see the Colts spending the 15th pick to take him one year after we spent the 18th on Kelly and ended up with the 30th ranked defense.

This is probably true, more likely than not. Still. We've invested all of our resources into adding to our defense in free agency thus far. And like you say, there is a lot more depth at other positions that O-line doesn't have. There are going to be very good defenders left in the second and third round, there very well might not be any O-linemen even worth picking by the third round for us. 

I still think it's more likely than not we go defense at 15. But I think it could be pointless to draft an O-lineman at all this year unless its in the 1st or 2nd round. Can't say that about a corner, I think there will be some very talented guys on the board by our 3rd round pick. I'm not sure who falls to us at 15, the draft is unpredictable. If Solomon Thomas is somehow there for example, we're probably taking him. But the difference between the 4th ranked edge rusher and the 8th ranked edge rusher may not be so great, same could be said about corner. If Forrest Lamp or Garett Bolles is the BPA, then I would feel good about taking them, knowing fully that there will be potential difference makers for our defense on the second day. 

17 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

In back to back seasons, the Packers lose starting guards to division rivals.

I think Ballard expects Clark to be ready to start next year.  He could very well foresee a starting 5 of Castonzo/Mewhort/Kelly/Haeg/Clark.  I'd rather see us go after defensive players than offensive linemen

Problem is, with that starting 5 how good can that right side really be this season? And where's the depth behind them? It's unrealistic to think we're staying healthy 16 games all 5 guys. 

3 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

This is probably true, more likely than not. Still. We've invested all of our resources into adding to our defense in free agency thus far. And like you say, there is a lot more depth at other positions that O-line doesn't have. There are going to be very good defenders left in the second and third round, there very well might not be any O-linemen even worth picking by the third round for us. 

I still think it's more likely than not we go defense at 15. But I think it could be pointless to draft an O-lineman at all this year unless its in the 1st or 2nd round. Can't say that about a corner, I think there will be some very talented guys on the board by our 3rd round pick. I'm not sure who falls to us at 15, the draft is unpredictable. If Solomon Thomas is somehow there for example, we're probably taking him. But the difference between the 4th ranked edge rusher and the 8th ranked edge rusher may not be so great, same could be said about corner. If Forrest Lamp or Garett Bolles is the BPA, then I would feel good about taking them, knowing fully that there will be potential difference makers for our defense on the second day. 

I think there's going to be a guy for Philbin to work with and coach up in the 4th round where we have 3 picks.

And if Philbin and Hunter can coach up that guy the way they've coached up Kelly, Clark and Haeg,  then I think we'll be just fine.

There may only be a small handful of guys that can start as a rookie out of this class.    But I think there are guys who will be good down the road with some quality coaching.    And I trust Philbin completely.    I think he earned that trust his first year.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think there's going to be a guy for Philbin to work with and coach up in the 4th round where we have 3 picks.

And if Philbin and Hunter can coach up that guy the way they've coached up Kelly, Clark and Haeg,  then I think we'll be just fine.

There may only be a small handful of guys that can start as a rookie out of this class.    But I think there are guys who will be good down the road with some quality coaching.    And I trust Philbin completely.    I think he earned that trust his first year.

Kelly I feel very good about, but Clark and Haeg I still just think are relatively unproven. Sure, they've flashed some ability. But I'd much rather be penciling in one unproven guy into the starting 5 than 2 at the same time, especially directly next to each other.

Just my .02

1 minute ago, Track Guy said:

Kelly I feel very good about, but Clark and Haeg I still just think are relatively unproven. Sure, they've flashed some ability. But I'd much rather be penciling in one unproven guy into the starting 5 than 2 at the same time, especially directly next to each other.

Just my .02

Hey....     I thought we'd be signing one of the top guards.

I thought it would be Lang, given that Philbin coached him before.

So, the fact that we've passed on all the top guards now tells me Philbin is saying good things about our young kids.       And I expect another project to work on this year too....

9 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

Just my .02

I feel the same way actually.  They finished strong but it's Lucks health we are talking about here.  I can still see Haag getting bull rushed into Andrew.  They were both project players.  If we missed our opportunity to sign a FA I would feel better getting some one like Lamp and starting him like we did with Kelly.  I'm still ticked we didn't get Whitehair when we had the chance.  I'm sure Philbin likes his guys.  I hope they're stronger and ready if that's who we are going with.

34 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

Wanted to continue this discussion for a bit.....

What if the Colts DID,  in fact, draft Lamp.     The guy Lamp is most often compared to in my readings is Zack Martin, the all-pro guard for Dallas.      Lamp might be a better LG as a rookie than Mewhort will ever be.

I don't know if Mewhort can play RG?   

Ballard doesn't have to fear being fired quickly....    he can pick the best guy and not just draft for need.    And if he thinks Lamp will do for the Colts what Martin did for Dallas,   I think there's a strong argument for Lamp.

And if my memory is correct,  Martin was drafted either 15th or 16th overall.    So, there is precedent.

It could happen.     It really could.     I just don't expect it to.....

57 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

My issue with waiting to draft CB later because of the depth is that I would think we want to get the BEST CB in the draft and not just good.

Just because a guy is rated too by scouts, the guys still have to mix with the team scheme and some kids play much better in the NFL than their draft status says they should after getting some big league coaching. I still think we are going with a pass rusher at #15 but if we can get the top lineman of the draft and plug them in to make the oline super stout, I'm fine with that decision. 

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

This draft isn't good for OL prospects. Ballard should focus mainly on defense, RB, and a high upside TE like Jonnu Smith. 

It's thin on O-line prospects, yes. Not much depth. Forrest Lamp is probably the best plug and play guard, his ceiling is probably mid-1st round. We'll probably go defense, but if we go offense I think he's the best fit. I almost think if we don't take an O-lineman with one of our first 2 picks, we shouldn't even bother with some project guy later in the draft than that. The draft looks so much deeper on positions like CB and TE. 

I'd like to sign a guy like Tim Lelito that can play multiple positions can push for a starting role but also backup. Played all 3 positions at NO. He isn't an all world beater but still graded out quality. We already have Denzel Goode and Blythe was a pinch start at guard/center. Or we could sign Jonathan Cooper and see if we could coach him up even though no one else has yet. Point being there are still a few decent lineman out there and I think we will be a player with those.

6 hours ago, Track Guy said:

Problem is, with that starting 5 how good can that right side really be this season? And where's the depth behind them? It's unrealistic to think we're staying healthy 16 games all 5 guys. 

I don't know how Ballard is approaching it, but I think this upcoming season is a wash.  I think Pagano will continue to hold the team back and there are too many roster holes to fill in just one offseason.  I think Ballard is trying to build more of a foundation this year, then have the team in a position to compete either next year or the year after.  Let's also not forget that Pagano was not Ballard's choice and Ballard may very well wish to bring his own head coach in (Toub?).  Add all that together and I think Ballard knows this season is a wash.  We might draft some developmental prospects, but by no means are we putting out a finished product in 2017

10 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't know how Ballard is approaching it, but I think this upcoming season is a wash.  I think Pagano will continue to hold the team back and there are too many roster holes to fill in just one offseason.  I think Ballard is trying to build more of a foundation this year, then have the team in a position to compete either next year or the year after.  Let's also not forget that Pagano was not Ballard's choice and Ballard may very well wish to bring his own head coach in (Toub?).  Add all that together and I think Ballard knows this season is a wash.  We might draft some developmental prospects, but by no means are we putting out a finished product in 2017

That's how I think they're playing this year as well. They're not taking, but they know this isn't a Super Bowl team, probably not even a playoff team.

They're building to be good in 2 to 3 years while TRYING to win now.

57 minutes ago, IinD said:

That's how I think they're playing this year as well. They're not taking, but they know this isn't a Super Bowl team, probably not even a playoff team.

They're building to be good in 2 to 3 years while TRYING to win now.

You really think Jim Irsay told Ballard don't worry about winning this year.  Just TRY to win.  Find us some developmental players that will be ready in 2 or 3 years?  You know just like Ryan did. Give me some more Greens, Clarks and Ridgeways. Just turn this season into another wash year.  You know 8-8 is good enough this year.  A wash.  That's what we need.  Get us ready to compete in 2 or 3 years, that's your job.  We have time.  You don't have to make the playoffs now.  I have news for you.  A couple of more solid impact FA signings or trades and a solid draft and we can win now.  And believe me Jim wants to win now!  If you think our owner is willing to wait 2 or 3 years you are really out of touch with reality.  You don't know Jim Irsay. 

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You really think Jim Irsay told Ballard don't worry about winning this year.  Just TRY to win.  Find us some developmental players that will be ready in 2 or 3 years?  You know just like Ryan did. Give me some more Greens, Clarks and Ridgeways. Just turn this season into another wash year.  You know 8-8 is good enough this year.  A wash.  That's what we need.  Get us ready to compete in 2 or 3 years, that's your job.  We have time.  You don't have to make the playoffs now.  I have news for you.  A couple of more solid impact FA signings or trades and a solid draft and we can win now.  And believe me Jim wants to win now!  If you think our owner is willing to wait 2 or 3 years you are really out of touch with reality.  You don't know Jim Irsay. 

I don't think they're trying to tank or lose, but they're definitely rebuilding. Like gutting the team almost, especially on D.

I don't think there's any pressure to win this year honestly.  

We technically have literally nothing on D. A couple draft picks and fa's isn't enough. We need 2 drafts and FA periods IMO.

I don't think it's realistic to expect a solid D this year when there'll be new faces everywhere.

I still think we bring in help on the OL at some point. I would rather see Ballard continue his focus on the D.

We still need to sign an ILB. I feel better about the young guys filling out the right side of the OL particullary with Philbin than I do Morrison at ILB.