Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TJ Green & Antonio Morrison make NextGen Stats All-Rookie team

Steamboat_Shaun

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are all elite rookies outside of the two colts haha. The only thing they said about both colts players was their average distance to tackle was impressive. To me that just shows our defense is missing too many tackles and are having to run down the ball carriers. Everyone else on this list at least had impressive rookie seasons and made impacts on their teams.

"  he was drafted in the 4th round out of Florida because of his speed and sideline to sideline ability "

This just tells me I should ignore anything these "NextGen" stats say in the future.

" Green reached a top speed of 22.34 MPH, which was the 3rd fastest top speed reached by a safety this season. "

lol yes, he's fast.  the only reason he was even draftable.

What a load of garbage.  To think we couldve had Kelly AND Whitehair.  Thanks Grigsy

28 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Not sure what that means exactly, but it seems relevant.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000785307

You can't make this stuff up!....Morrison has to run a long way because the play is always ahead of him and he hustles...so he gets there eventually!  In all of this, he gets credited for speed and sideline to sideline range? No, indeed, you can make this stuff up....

Ramsey allowed a 77.2 passer rating in coverage, which was the 10th best among all #1 cornerbacks this season...

Bradberry allowed only a 69.6 passer rating in coverage, which was the 12th best mark among all #1 cornerbacks in the league this season.

What am I missing?

Also, they should check when Rodney Gunter was drafted.

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Green just needs experience........he made mistakes but rookie DBs do that...

Cant teach size and speed

I just don't see why most people haven't figured out that:

1. He wasn't supposed to play all that much

2. He's got every attribute you'd want for a rangy ballhawk free safety

3. He just needs some more time

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

You can't make this stuff up!....Morrison has to run a long way because the play is always ahead of him and he hustles...so he gets there eventually!  In all of this, he gets credited for speed and sideline to sideline range? No, indeed, you can make this stuff up....

I always thought speed was a valuable trait at the safety & linebacker position. Of course if said player was drafted by a certain GM, then it always turns into "he was drafted based on 40 time aline, wasted pick."

Just now, Boomstick1 said:

I just don't see why most people haven't figured out that:

1. He wasn't supposed to play all that much

3. He just needs some more time

On this forum, 2nd round picks are expected to play at no less than pro-bowl caliber in their rookie season. Otherwise, bust.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I always thought speed was a valuable trait at the safety & linebacker position. Of course if said player was drafted by a certain GM, then it always turns into "he was drafted based on 40 time aline, wasted pick."

Morrison ran a 5.1 40, don't know why the writer of that page said he was speedy

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

No argument to the bolded, but the rest of your post confuses me in context....unless you are talking about Green, whom I like, but is fitted by the forum according to your quote.

I'm one of the few posters around here who could build a case for Grigson, so you won't catch me casting aside any of his picks just because he isn't here now.  But...I'll cast aside Morrison every day, and twice on Sundays...

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

so hes a fast guy that sucks at playing safety

Not hating on Greem, he is good project with potential. I'm pretty sure we could have gotten him in the 3rd or even 4th round (which most draft experts expected him to go). We had Kelly and could have had Whitehair if we did not trade down and filled two major positions of need

Joseph

7 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

Not hating on Greem, he is good project with potential. I'm pretty sure we could have gotten him in the 3rd or even 4th round (which most draft experts expected him to go). We had Kelly and could have had Whitehair if we did not trade down and filled two major positions of need

Joseph

You cant be 'pretty sure' we could have gotten Green in the 3rd round.  Experts?

What difference does it make now?   He can be a good safety and we need him

1 hour ago, Boomstick1 said:

Except ball tracking skills. 

I'm absolutely not on the "Green sucks" train, but that's something he struggles with, and did in college. And it's a major concern for someone we presumably want to play free safety.

3 hours ago, bananabucket said:

"  he was drafted in the 4th round out of Florida because of his speed and sideline to sideline ability "

This just tells me I should ignore anything these "NextGen" stats say in the future.

" Green reached a top speed of 22.34 MPH, which was the 3rd fastest top speed reached by a safety this season. "

lol yes, he's fast.  the only reason he was even draftable.

What a load of garbage.  To think we couldve had Kelly AND Whitehair.  Thanks Grigsy

The article was not a good one... I think NextGen Stats just likes to use statistics and metrics which are only recently being measured due to new technology (e.g., Green's top speed).  Morrison was one of the slowest LBs in last year's draft class.

In my opinion, the who 'distance to tackle' metric is stupid.  It isn't impressive that someone has to run extra far to make a play, it just means they were probably either: (1) out of position or (2) chasing down a broken play.

A lot of people used to talk about Laron Landry's speed and how it was impressive for him to be able to chase people down.  I'd prefer players who don't let people get past them to the point where they have to do the chasing to begin with.

I don't think Morrison is going to be much more than a STer and rotational LBer for us, in large part due to his lack of speed.  Maybe he'll be a little healthier this year with more time to have recovered from his collegiate knee surgeries, but I don't think he really had 'NFL speed' prior to them.

I am still optimistic with Green.  He's a freak athlete and only had limited experience as a DB in college (as others posted out, he started college at WR).  I think Pagano and staff usually do a pretty good job getting potential to be delivered from their DBs (unfortunately, we've not often been healthy or had top level talent across the board in the defensive backfield).   I think he's learning by being thrown into the fire should help him develop this off-season.  He has the physical traits wanted in a FS, that is for sure.  My hope is we sign Adams back for a year and that Green continues to develop, see more time and then he and a healthy Geathers form a potent S duo for many years.

5 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I think Morrison (hes gonna be DQ 2.0 IMO)  played better than he was credited for. But Green was bad almost all year, hard to see how he made an all rookie team. I haven't given up on him though, think its foolish to give up on someone after one year.

I agree with you 100% T.j green was horrible but is silly to give up on. He has all the tools just needs some more coaching and developing. Last year Landon Collins wasn't nearly the player this year. Just hope he learns from his mistakes. Also, I agree with Morrison. He didn't get credited nearly as much at the end of the year. I think in the beginning of the year he was put in the wrong situation to try and play ilb when he's meant for mlb.  I also think he wasn't accumulated fully to the playbook in the beginning as well. At the end of the year though, he proved that he can play. Just needs more time to develop and needs to stay at the mlb position.

6 hours ago, ztboiler said:

What that tells me is that he lacks experience but could improve with another year under his belt. Too early to tell but he could at least provide backup if we happen to land a ILB