Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can the Colts make the playoffs @ 8-8?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

The Colts have a 10% chance of making the Playoffs and a big fat "0" percent of advancing....Let's get real folks, we'll be talking like this and posting again next year if the owner doesn't make a change immediately.....Give the new coach to assimilate himself and mold this team into a winner....Fire Grigs/Pags as in yesterday....

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

What I don't get is why all you fans yelling about a high pick not helping us don't seem to realize that you would pick high in every round not just the damn first so it would be more then just one player 

Because it guarantees nothing. The Browns and Jags have high picks almost yearly, and they both still always stink. Its about choosing the right player, regardless of how high or low the pick is.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I cant seeing us beating the Pats or Steelers either so I got your point but you never know. I just hate seeing us lose any game.

I think we can beat Pittsburgh. We might have beaten em with Tolzien if our WRs didn't decide to suck wind that night.

6 hours ago, ColtfreakDVA said:

Yes those stats are really bad....

Guess what year/team this defense was....

(Hint) This also was the worst defense of all time to win a super bowl. (Edit - Before the 2012 Giants at (25th)

(23rd) PTS: 22.5 

(31st) Rush YDS: 173 

(21st) YDS: 332 

Yeah but they were also getting to the QB they were in the top ten or even 5 in sacks 

sure

13 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I would rather the Colts make it into the playoffs because they are actually good, instead of the rest of the division being garbage and the Colts are slightly less smelly garbage. 

i would rather make it becasue the south is bad, than not get in at all

dont really care where we draft, as long as we have picks in the first 4 rounds or so

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

1. The Titans can actually run the ball to set up the play action pass under Murray more consistently then say INDY can right now. 2. Beating a division rival in the regular season has no real bearing on playoff success at all if a team gets say even a Wildcard bid for instance. 3.Tennessee has a reliable pass rusher threat in Brian Orakpo. 4. Denver might not even make the playoffs given how well the Raiders are playing right now. Denver is really missing RB C. J. Anderson who moved the chains & was solid on blitz pickup for Trevor Siemen.

5. Tennessee would at least look they belong on the field against the Steelers unlike INDY who always gets crushed by Pittsburgh. The Titans would still lose sure but DC Dick LeBeau would make them competitive for at least 2 quarters at least. 

Sidenote: Yes, we have had Tennessee's number of late that is true. But, eventually little brother beats big brother or finds a way to break through. Just like Denver finally handed us an L in the loss column. We can't keep taking satisfaction in beating division rivals & them getting demolished outside the AFC South when games really matter. The way Andy Reid & the Chiefs played the Broncos on SNF at home I'm not so sure we could beat them at Arrowhead in December right now. 

SW1 you make some good points, but there is no proof of Tenn being able to do anything against Pitt or New England as they've Never played a down. SW1 you're talking about a team that almost lost to Matt Barkley on Sunday. That's how bad their defense is and that is with them having two productive pass rushers. The Big Brother thing as you state is for the future. As of right now little brother is not better than big brother. Tenn is not mentally tough enough for the prime time. They have a really bad secondary that honestly is worse than ours. Mariota has some promise but you can still see youthful inexperience in his decision making. A decent offense can put up enough points against that bunch and get them out of that running game. After that its pretty much a wrap and that is especially true if that same team has a defense. I would trust this Colt team before I trusted them. I do think they should be a really good team in 2017.

As of today I think there's key

flaws on that team and there's very little big game experience when compared to Indy. Indy has a big edge in experience and that's a key factor to me. Yeah you may stop Gore but that doesnt mean you will stop Luck and that passing attack. Its been more than TY Hilton this year if you've paid attention, which is why Lucks picks are down. Hes thrown the ball to everyone. Chester Rogers, Jack Doyle, Moncrief, Swoope, Dorsett, Gore. This isn't the same force it to Hilton offense. TY is still his money guy but he's not afraid to go elsewhere. Luck has grown a bit. Biggest issues I have with this current Colt team is execution based. The roster doesnt freak me out so much because you can overcome many of those issues to a degree by excelling at the small things on a high level. Film Study, knowing your coverage's inside and out, tackling, catching the football, low penalties, being in the right gaps, when you have your foot on the opponents throat finish the deal. We are not consistent enough in these areas to me. Get control of that and you have a different team I feel. This offense can be elite with a tweak here or there in the execution level. Defense can be decent with a tweak here or there in the execution level. There's still time to shore it up.

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

1. The Titans can actually run the ball to set up the play action pass under Murray more consistently then say INDY can right now. 2. Beating a division rival in the regular season has no real bearing on playoff success at all if a team gets say even a Wildcard bid for instance. 3.Tennessee has a reliable pass rusher threat in Brian Orakpo. 4. Denver might not even make the playoffs given how well the Raiders are playing right now. Denver is really missing RB C. J. Anderson who moved the chains & was solid on blitz pickup for Trevor Siemen.

5. Tennessee would at least look they belong on the field against the Steelers unlike INDY who always gets crushed by Pittsburgh. The Titans would still lose sure but DC Dick LeBeau would make them competitive for at least 2 quarters at least. 

Sidenote: Yes, we have had Tennessee's number of late that is true. But, eventually little brother beats big brother or finds a way to break through. Just like Denver finally handed us an L in the loss column. We can't keep taking satisfaction in beating division rivals & them getting demolished outside the AFC South when games really matter. The way Andy Reid & the Chiefs played the Broncos on SNF at home I'm not so sure we could beat them at Arrowhead in December right now. 

The Colts walked up and down the field on Pitt with Tolzien at QB.  Pitt went almost the entire 3rd quarter without even being on offense.  And we did that to their D without even being able to run the ball a little bit.    What do you think would have happened with Luck?  I say we win that game with Luck.  By the way Pitt themselves may not even make the playoffs.   

In my mind the Colts need to win out for me to believe they have a legitimate chance of making playoff noise.  9-7 could potentially give them the title, but I don't think 8-8 gets them in, even if at this point 8-8 can win the title if all else falls perfectly in their favor. 

We need to win out and I expect that.  The team shows what we know they have when their back is against the wall so I'm expecting we'll play well.  We got to have this Jet game.  We absolutely must have this Jet game.   I FULLY expect Houston to get smoked in Green Bay.   We win that Jet game on Monday Night and that is going to fully spark the focus of this team.  They'll play good football from there on out.  I believe that whole heartedly.   Time to go on a run boyz!

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Meh. I don't know the future, but yes, it's possible that they could lose out. If they do, then it is what it is.

You're acting like it would be a bad thing if they were to win out, because you're writing off any chance of anything good happening in the playoffs, in Week 13. That's your prerogative, but making the playoffs is never a bad thing, IMO. 

Making the playoffs in 2012, though good for the fan base and the players, was the worst thing that happened to this team. Not only did we end up with a lower draft pick, it set in motion a rash of poor decision making by Grigson. He went from thinking that it was going to take time to rebuild to "Wow, I rebuilt this team into a Super Bowl contender in one offseason and I'm only player X away from winning it all."  His draft and free agent strategy went from building a team to supplementing a team.  

10 hours ago, Superman said:

In short, no. Irsay doesn't build the teams.

While I don't have any reports to point to, I feel like Irsay is more involved in the building process than we give him credit for.  He used to be GM of the Colts for a little bit in the late 1990s, and I'd imagine that itch to build a winner doesn't just go away.  I believe it's fairly well known that he was the guy who made the decision to take Luck over RG3.  Despite having multiple coaches and GMs with different philosophies and approaches, some problems remain the same and the one constant during that time has been Irsay.  Perhaps Irsay was the person who told Polian to surround Peyton with lots of weapons and use so many first round picks on offensive players, so he could surround his QB with weapons.  Again, no reports or anything to go on.  But I speculate Irsay is more involved than we think, and he could be contributing to some of the problems.

1 hour ago, deedub75 said:

Making the playoffs in 2012, though good for the fan base and the players, was the worst thing that happened to this team. Not only did we end up with a lower draft pick, it set in motion a rash of poor decision making by Grigson. He went from thinking that it was going to take time to rebuild to "Wow, I rebuilt this team into a Super Bowl contender in one offseason and I'm only player X away from winning it all."  His draft and free agent strategy went from building a team to supplementing a team.  

I agree that the Colts having a good season triggered Grigson's flawed "win now" roster decisions. I blame Grigson for that.

I do not agree that having early success was a bad thing, just because the GM responded poorly to it. 

As for the draft position, I'd rather go to the playoffs and pick 24 than miss the playoffs and pick 12th. That's especially true in 2013.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

While I don't have any reports to point to, I feel like Irsay is more involved in the building process than we give him credit for.  He used to be GM of the Colts for a little bit in the late 1990s, and I'd imagine that itch to build a winner doesn't just go away.  I believe it's fairly well known that he was the guy who made the decision to take Luck over RG3.  Despite having multiple coaches and GMs with different philosophies and approaches, some problems remain the same and the one constant during that time has been Irsay.  Perhaps Irsay was the person who told Polian to surround Peyton with lots of weapons and use so many first round picks on offensive players, so he could surround his QB with weapons.  Again, no reports or anything to go on.  But I speculate Irsay is more involved than we think, and he could be contributing to some of the problems.

Irsay isn't completely hands-off, but he doesn't build the roster. If you're going to criticize Irsay for the roster composition, then you should give Grigson a break. 

In reality, based on what Irsay and Polian and Dungy and Grigson have said over the years, Irsay gives input and signs off on big decisions -- first rounders, big free agent signings, contract extensions, head coach hires, etc. -- and that's his prerogative because it's his team and he's signing the checks. But he's not running the draft, deciding who to sign, structuring contracts, etc.

If you look at Polian's track record, going back to Buffalo, he has always used first rounders on offensive players. From 1986-92, and then from '95-97 when he ran the Bills and the Panthers, he drafted a WR, RB or OT in the first round 6 times (out of 10 years). The other four picks -- a QB, a LB, and two DBs. That's Polian's MO. He has said himself that he has his premium positions that he believes are worthy of first round picks, and for the most part, wherever he's been, he's stuck to that philosophy. He didn't need Irsay to tell him to surround Manning with weapons. 

Then just listen to what Irsay has said about how he wants the Colts to be balanced, to be good on defense and to be able to run the ball effectively, that he is less interested in big offensive output than he is in being able to compete in all phases... how do you hear Irsay's comments and come to the conclusion that he has directed Grigson to prioritize offensive players early in the draft? You're going scorched earth, and no one is safe. Not saying anyone should be safe, but all you have is speculation and conjecture, and to me, it doesn't jive with reality.

17 hours ago, NeedsADefence said:

Yeah but they were also getting to the QB they were in the top ten or even 5 in sacks 

True and I left out that 2006 team was ranked 3rd i believe in pass defense.

Numbers can lie; however, in this case I really believe we are a bad D all around this year.  There is no Sanders, as you pointed out no Freeney/Mathis sack tandem, no Booger and no leader on this D.

I am not saying they are  hopeless but at this point they haven't showed any real improvement or potential to show they can play a full game at playoff levels.  Other than Vontae, I dont see anyone on the roster who could raise to a new level before the end of the season.

Still, I hope they break out like the 2006 team but it has to start now not at playoffs.

I wish Grigson would read some of these comments, maybe he might pick up on some ideas on how to improve this team....I do believe if you're a die hard Colt fan, you are able to diagnose their flaws and see the improvements that can be made....If we see these ineffectiveness, flaws, why can't the GM identify it.  We'll my guess is he doesn't give a hoot.  Heck is making 7 figures so why not, just ride it out and enjoy the luxuries.  But fans suffer......

Luck is 0-2 against NYJ.

Oakland and Minnesota will more than likely beat Indianapolis.

Lately we've struggled against Jacksonville and Houston already beat us once.

I just don't see this team being good enough to make a run.. if we miss the playoffs, front office changes NEED TO BE MADE.

I can't sit through another year of this pagano-grigson crap.

On 11/28/2016 at 11:09 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Defence is the biggest Colts fan in here, don't let him fool you (sarcasm). I get a kick out of people wanting us to lose because they think picking 10th instead of 21st will put us in the SB next season lmao 

But Grigson would obviously draft a great player at 10. Do Dorsett, Werner and Trent have little brothers?

10 minutes ago, BertJones said:

8-8?

They can and thry are going to.

only 9-7 if they beat Raiders. Odds are they lose to Minn and Raiders

Minnesota , really? They couldn't score if they started every drive on the 50. They have a legit chance there, Minny is 6-6 now and plummeting . 

1 minute ago, mahagga73 said:

Minnesota , really? They couldn't score if they started every drive on the 50. They have a legit chance there, Minny is 6-6 now and plummeting . 

Minn. is 6-6 and going to win out.

the almost beat Dallas with defense alone and were 2 points away from tying.

The dry spell will be gone. Hell,they barely lost on Thanksgiving. One more score in each of those games and they would have won.Theyll win 4 in a row

1 hour ago, BertJones said:

Minn. is 6-6 and going to win out.

the almost beat Dallas with defense alone and were 2 points away from tying.

The dry spell will be gone. Hell,they barely lost on Thanksgiving. One more score in each of those games and they would have won.Theyll win 4 in a row

Lol. No way. Packers are going to win out probably. You neglected to mention Minny got slaughtered by the Bears and have gone downhill ever since. Close doesn't count. You can play the close loss game with every team in the league. Bradford stinks. No receivers . The D is good but they are losing every week. 

The chances of the Colts making the playoffs feels a lot like Trumps chances of the presidency.  

Colts have to win ALL the battleground games plus a surprise.  (Vikings)

I personally think Houston is going to lose at least 3 of the remaining games. (Packers/Indy/Titans) and could tank with a 4th with Ciny.  They really are going in the wrong direction.

8 and 8 could be possible as I think Titans lose to Broncos and Chiefs.

The last day with Titans and Houston will probably decide things for us.

Of course if Houston beats the packers this all gets a lot harder.

2 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

The game they choked away against Houston is possibly going to come back to haunt them. That's too bad, no excuse for that. 

Very bad loss and that is why we are in the situation we are in now. That was a huge swing. Despite that if the Texans lose tomorrow and we win on Monday things will look a lot better.

The Colts are not* winning out. They are way too inconsistent. What makes you think they're all of a sudden going to win 5 straight games? No way. Not a chance in hell. They'll be lucky to win 4 out of the final 5. If we finish 9-7 then yes we'll get into the playoffs. I'm pessimistic about tonight's game.  Since Houston lost yesterday I can see us screwing up a golden opportunity. Need a huge game from Luck. 

My money is on Tennessee to win the South at 9-7. They're favored vs Denver Sunday. They'll finish out 3-1 (win vs DEN, loss at KC, win at JAX, win vs HOU). Colts/Texans will finish 8-8. Colts f'd themselves blowing that Texans game. 

Colts line has dropped from -2 to -1 with 75% of the money on Indy. That's what is called "reverse line movement."  With the money that lopsided on one side the line should move in the Colts favor to -3, -3.5, -4, but went the other way. That's not a good sign at all for a Colts win. Trust me on that. 

5 minutes ago, I Love C said:

The Colts are not* winning out. They are way too inconsistent. What makes you think they're all of a sudden going to win 5 straight games? No way. Not a chance in hell. They'll be lucky to win 4 out of the final 5. If we finish 9-7 then yes we'll get into the playoffs. I'm pessimistic about tonight's game.  Since Houston lost yesterday I can see us screwing up a golden opportunity. Need a huge game from Luck. 

My money is on Tennessee to win the South at 9-7. They're favored vs Denver Sunday. They'll finish out 3-1 (win vs DEN, loss at KC, win at JAX, win vs HOU). Colts/Texans will finish 8-8. Colts f'd themselves blowing that Texans game. 

I think the Colts go 4-1 if they win tonight so I don't think they will run the table, Titans may go 3-1 as well. If both teams finish 9-7 Colts get the tiebreaker. I see the Texans at 8-8.