Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can the Colts make the playoffs @ 8-8?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

12 minutes ago, Introspect said:

I just don't think this team is ready for primetime. It's like thinking you are going to finish first in the New York City marathon just because you registered.

Colts going to the playoffs with this team is like losing badly as a little league team and being happy that we got a participation trophy.

My belief is to come hard and correct or don't come at all!

Except making the playoffs is a lot harder than just registering for a marathon. If the Colts make it to the playoffs, it means (more or less) they are one of the better teams in the NFL. Yeah, they got flaws. But they got a great QB, and sometimes, that's enough to take a game in the playoffs (and sometimes, the Lombardi Trophy). 

If you want the team to tank to get a better player in the draft that's fine. But don't

1) Assume that player is automatically gonna turn this team into a contender

2) That player will be able to make an impact right out of the gate (remember, most picks take time, even first rounders)

And if they do make the playoffs, you might as well not watch if you "know" they're gonna lose.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, NeedsADefence said:

lets all be realistic would this team go far in the playoffs. Thats the defense

PTS
(27th)
YDS
(30th)
PASS YDS
(30th)
RUSH YDS
(23rd)

Many on this board see life though these my friend, Rationality and Reality exist in another dimension for them  Image result for colts glasses

1 minute ago, Introspect said:

Many on this board see life though these my friend, Rationality and Reality exist in another dimension for them  Image result for colts glasses

Nobody is denying the fact that the team is bad in many categories. People having hope that they make the playoffs doesn't mean they think the team is great and is gonna win it all. If there's a chance, people are gonna hope.

If you play the lottery, you're gonna hope you win, right? Even if you know the odds are slim.....

4 hours ago, AllYouNeedIsLuck said:

I don't mean "can" as in statistically. I mean, as things look right now and how they'll play out is that plausible? 

Cause we'll be underdogs @ Minn and @ Oak 

Luck's concussion is making this season a lot more stressful than it has to be. We would have had a very very good shot with him vs. Pitt. Oh well 

In terms of winning the division?  Sure, it's been done before.  If we lose to the Texans, though, forget it.  From there on out, the way I see it, if the Texans beat the intra-division opponents like they should and one of either GB or CIN, which is likely the way I see it, it won't matter if we beat the Texans.

If you're talking wildcared, you have to look at it statistically and the answer is unequivocally, "no."  That would require, at bare minimum for the Dolphins and Broncos to lose out (at least the Broncos would have the tie breaker against us if they won 1 of 5 and finished 8-8); AND for the Steelers to lose 4 of the next 5 games (so they finish under 500 who would also have a tie breaker against us)

59 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Need a defense and a pass rush we have nether 

Giants had both of those and I don't think either one of those Super Bowl teams found themselves in the hole that the Colts are in. I don't think their division was as bad either.  They also took an undefeated Pats team to the brink of their first loss before ultimately beating them in the Super Bowl. 

29 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Except making the playoffs is a lot harder than just registering for a marathon. If the Colts make it to the playoffs, it means (more or less) they are one of the better teams in the NFL. Yeah, they got flaws. But they got a great QB, and sometimes, that's enough to take a game in the playoffs (and sometimes, the Lombardi Trophy). 

If you want the team to tank to get a better player in the draft that's fine. But don't

1) Assume that player is automatically gonna turn this team into a contender

2) That player will be able to make an impact right out of the gate (remember, most picks take time, even first rounders)

And if they do make the playoffs, you might as well not watch if you "know" they're gonna lose.

I don't believe anyone on here thinks one high draft pick will turn this team around. This team is so depleted that it's going to take awhile to build this team into a perennial contender.  We need new leadership and sneaking into the playoffs pretty much guarantees that the brain trust will stick around to muck up this team for years to come. The team is not good and I think they win the games they win despite Pagano. 

In a 3 way 8-8 with Colts, Titans and Texans, Colts win if 2 of Texans losses are to Colts and Titans. That gives Colts 3-1, Texans 2-2, Titans 1-3 in games vs each other. 

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

56 minutes ago, Introspect said:

So you rather us just lose and not make the Playoffs? How pathetic. What good does that do? No true Colts fan wants that. Chuck isn't going to get fired even if we go 5-11 if that is yours and anyone's motive rooting against us and picking 8th, 9th, or 10th compared to 21st isn't a big deal. I am so sick of talking about this crap. To the people that want the Colts to lose, start your own hate/fire/cut Thread that is my take. If a team makes the Playoffs it's a Good season period. Some in here think winning the SB is easy I guess?? SMH.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So you rather us just lose and not make the Playoffs? How pathetic. What good does that do? No true Colts fan wants that. Chuck isn't going to get fired even if we go 5-11 if that is yours and anyone's motive rooting against us and picking 8th, 9th, or 10th compared to 21st isn't a big deal. I am so sick of talking about this crap. To the people that want the Colts to lose, start your own hate/fire/cut Thread that is my take. If a team makes the Playoffs it's a Good season period. Some in here think winning the SB is easy I guess?? SMH.

Amen, brother!

Sha la la la la la live for today
Sha la la la la la live for today
And don't worry 'bout tomorrow, hey

12 minutes ago, coltsva said:

In a 3 way 8-8 with Colts, Titans and Texans, Colts win if 2 of Texans losses are to Colts and Titans. That gives Colts 3-1, Texans 2-2, Titans 1-3 in games vs each other. 

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

I didn't even think of this because I was just looking at overall Division record but this is correct and Common Opponents.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just don't get the mentality of rooting against a team you supposedly love/diehard fan of unless we are 0-13 and Andrew Luck is there in the Draft. 

That's the only time in 45 years I was not upset with losing (but glad they won the Houston game)! 

1 hour ago, Introspect said:

I just don't think this team is ready for primetime. It's like thinking you are going to finish first in the New York City marathon just because you registered.

Colts going to the playoffs with this team is like losing badly as a little league team and being happy that we got a participation trophy.

My belief is to come hard and correct or don't come at all!

They aren't ready for primetime, IMO. I don't care about that. Getting to the playoffs is important for a team's development, and you don't want to fall into a pattern of not making the playoffs.

I definitely don't worry about them being blown out, as if it's a reflection of me personally. As a matter of fact, if they get whooped badly, that might fully expose this staff and lead to changes. 

Or better yet, how about they get hot, go the playoffs and make some noise, maybe even becoming one of those stumbling 4 seeds that puts it all together right in time to make a deep playoff run...? I don't think that's likely at all, but it's not unheard of. And it can't happen if they don't go in the first place.

1 minute ago, coltsva said:

That's the only time in 45 years I was not upset with losing (but glad they won the Houston game)! 

Me too LOL. Once we got to 0-8 I knew the season was over and knowing Luck was there waiting I didn't care if we lost, that is the only time I have ever felt like that. This season is nothing like that nor has any other season been that way. I agree I didn't want to go 0-16 either because no team wants that label.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

They aren't ready for primetime, IMO. I don't care about that. Getting to the playoffs is important for a team's development, and you don't want to fall into a pattern of not making the playoffs.

I definitely don't worry about them being blown out, as if it's a reflection of me personally. As a matter of fact, if they get whooped badly, that might fully expose this staff and lead to changes. 

Or better yet, how about they get hot, go the playoffs and make some noise, maybe even becoming one of those stumbling 4 seeds that puts it all together right in time to make a deep playoff run...? I don't think that's likely at all, but it's not unheard of. And it can't happen if they don't go in the first place.

Great Post! Can't even add to it.

It's a long time between football seasons and I want 16 meaningful games with playoff implications. I want to see my team play as many games as possible. If the Colts win the division (regardless of their record) I am guaranteed at least 1 extra home game and get to enjoy another great weekend in my favorite city. 

I'll let ownership and management worry about long term concerns. 

4 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I never understand those of you wanting us to tank. Having a top 10 pick doesn't guarantee you ANYTHING. Just ask the Cleveland Browns and the Jacksonville Jaguars (before these past 2 draft) 

The draft is a gamble regardless of where you're picking. And when Ryan Grigson is your GM, that gamble factor is increased by 80% 

2013 (i think it's that one) draft class is nonexistent on this current roster. That's just sickening 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. Unless you have the first pick in the Draft and a once in a generation QB is there I am against tanking. Picking 8th, 9th, 10th, or 21st doesn't matter to me. I have seen so many late 1st Round picks turn out better.

I'm someone who has been very vocal about his desire to see the Colts tank.  I guess "tank" is the wrong term since tank is more of an active process when people acknowledge there is little to no hope (eg. if your top 5 players all get season ending injuries).  There is 0 chance of any tanking happening with this team because that would mean Pagano and Grigson are firing themselves.  Rather, I'm not upset to see the Colts lose, and I'd actually rather see them lose games this year.  I believe that is better for the future of the franchise because:

1) it could lead to a change in management

2) it could lead to a change in the coaching staff

3) it could result in the younger players getting more reps so they can develop more quickly

4) no longer relevant now, but there was the possibility of trading some of the aging vets for whatever assets you can get, like Gore or Walden for late round picks

5) in turn, the above point could have opened up more cap space in future years

6) it gives you a higher draft pick, which generally means there is more talent available to choose from.  Again, this isn't perfect because every draft has busts and making picks isn't a perfect science, but it increases your chances of getting a playmaker

However, if we make the playoffs - because our division is awful, not because we are a good football team -  that could give Irsay the illusion that Grigson and Pagano know what they're doing and he keeps them around.  It's not just about getting a higher draft pick for the 2017 draft, it's about this team having a better plan in place for sustained success

The way they played against Green Bay, I can see the Colts winning the division. But it is going to take a healthy team to have a shot. Winning out would be awesome but 9-7 could get it done. I'm amazed at how many fans and pundits discount the fact that the Colts have really not been healthy this year. I would love to see the o line and secondary at full strength for two or three games. This team has more talent than people give them credit for. 

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm someone who has been very vocal about his desire to see the Colts tank.  I guess "tank" is the wrong term since tank is more of an active process when people acknowledge there is little to no hope (eg. if your top 5 players all get season ending injuries).  There is 0 chance of any tanking happening with this team because that would mean Pagano and Grigson are firing themselves.  Rather, I'm not upset to see the Colts lose, and I'd actually rather see them lose games this year.  I believe that is better for the future of the franchise because:

3) it could result in the younger players getting more reps so they can develop more quickly

4) no longer relevant now, but there was the possibility of trading some of the aging vets for whatever assets you can get, like Gore or Walden for late round picks

6) it gives you a higher draft pick, which generally means there is more talent available to choose from.  Again, this isn't perfect because every draft has busts and making picks isn't a perfect science, but it increases your chances of getting a playmaker

However, if we make the playoffs - because our division is awful, not because we are a good football team -  that could give Irsay the illusion that Grigson and Pagano know what they're doing and he keeps them around.  It's not just about getting a higher draft pick for the 2017 draft, it's about this team having a better plan in place for sustained success

I see your point and others feel like that but I am not sold on Irsay firing either even if we finish 5-11. That is the problem IMO with that thinking. Had Irsay came out and said, if the Colts don't make the Playoffs I am firing both (which would never happen but it's a hypothetical) than I could buy into the people that don't like either. In the meantime I want us to win because we don't know what the future holds and winning is very nice.

I don't care what none of ya say, I'm rooting for my team silly wabbit!  I believe we can get a thing or two done in the playoffs to be honest with you.  I fear none of them honestly now that I've seen what this 2016 Pitt team looks like.  A healthy Luck beats that team, and I ain't scared of New Englands defense either.    I actually think our offense is better than that group.  I don't see anybody that will participate in these playoffs that the Colts can't duel with.    Give me the playoffs bro, damn some tanking!

2 hours ago, deedub75 said:

I don't believe anyone on here thinks one high draft pick will turn this team around. This team is so depleted that it's going to take awhile to build this team into a perennial contender.  We need new leadership and sneaking into the playoffs pretty much guarantees that the brain trust will stick around to muck up this team for years to come. The team is not good and I think they win the games they win despite Pagano. 

That last sentence is super unfair to Chuck and pretty much sums up his time in Indy quite nicely. When they lose, it's all his fault. When they win, it was mostly Luck and the players. (and no, not defending Chuck, I want him gone too).

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Chuck and Grigs are staying, even if they miss the playoffs. Irsay made a long term commitment and tied them by the hip for four years. The earliest I see either of them canned is if the team is still struggling next season.

2 hours ago, coltsva said:

Two Clubs

My understanding is: Colts win head to head against Titans, eliminating Tenn...Colts /Texans tie head to head at 1-1...next tiebreaker between  Colts /Texans would be divisional record, which the Texans could still win if they beat Jags.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Enough with you your not a true fan bull **** it's getting old 

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

This is a fantastic post 21 I agree 1000000%!!! I just really think your just wasting your time typing out these very long and truthful posts cause it won't change anything your still gonna be a "terrible fan". You are not allowed to think losing is helpfull in anyway cause that makes you a fake fan and you should go root for the Browns. This line of thinking somehow means you don't love the Colts. 

There's this thing called Win Your Games which is priority number 1 before anything else my son.   From there what you do in the draft is this thing called Bargain Shop.   I recall this guy named Miles Jack who was "Supposed" to go in the first round but he did not.  I recall this guy named Shaq Lawson who nobody thought would be there when we picked in the first and turns out he was there.    In each round their are always players who were supposed to go a certain place but didn't.   There's always somebody available who you didn't think would be there, but he is.  Picking in the lower half of the rounds is no death sentence and it don't stop you from getting good players.

And regardless teams grade according to what they like so all of these so called top this and top that guys you have your eye on may not even be guys the team is even interested in.  Andrew Billings from  Baylor who we all thought was Elite is a prime example.  No team even wanted that dude until the 4th or 5th round.   What you are talking about is unrealistic in the first place because I told you a couple of conversations ago that No Luck Led team is going 5-11, 6-10 or any of that other non sense so you're just being stubborn.   Might as well cheer for your team bro!  That stuff you are talking about just won't happen.

If we manage to sneak away with the South, I feel like we would have pretty good chances against the Dolphins in the wild card. Not so sure we could pull off a win against the Chiefs or Broncos though.

Also, just thought I'd throw in there that if we play like the first half of the Green Bay game, I think we could beat Oakland on Christmas, although the Colts being consistently good happens just about as frequently as a solar eclipse.

4 hours ago, NeedsADefence said:

lets all be realistic would this team go far in the playoffs. Thats the defense

PTS
(27th)
YDS
(30th)
PASS YDS
(30th)
RUSH YDS
(23rd)

Yes those stats are really bad....

Guess what year/team this defense was....

(Hint) This also was the worst defense of all time to win a super bowl. (Edit - Before the 2012 Giants at (25th)

(23rd) PTS: 22.5 

(31st) Rush YDS: 173 

(21st) YDS: 332 

That 2006 team nobody thought was a serious playoff team either. The season before last year nobody thought that Colts team belonged in the playoffs and they went all the way to the AFC championship. Everytime we win these so called smart guys sit in a corner and then when we lose one little game they come back selling you on doom and gloom. This team can play with just about any of these guys. If we make it there we deserve to be there.

Its so funny to me that out of this slew of 5-6 to 6-5 teams we are the ones who somehow dont belong. Everybody else does but we dont! We made it because of the division, but if the season record were better theyd turn right around and say we made it because we are good and cheer for the team. Its a shame how inconsistent you are.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

That 2006 team nobody thought was a serious playoff team either. The season before last year nobody thought that Colts team belonged in the playoffs and they went all the way to the AFC championship. Everytime we win these so called smart guys sit in a corner and then when we lose one little game they come back selling you on doom and gloom. This team can play with just about any of these guys. If we make it there we deserve to be there.

To add just for fun, even with the loses this year, we had a chance to win most all of them except for the Chiefs game.

One could argue the steelers game was much closer than the score indicates.

So even with the horrible D stats we were able to hang with everyone.

But at this point, there cant be anymore loses to opine.

3 hours ago, deedub75 said:

This is what the issue is deedub....... Thanks for seeing what I do also

8 minutes ago, ColtfreakDVA said:

To add just for fun, even with the loses this year, we had a chance to win most all of them except for the Chiefs game.

One could argue the steelers game was much closer than the score indicates.

So even with the horrible D stats we were able to hang with everyone.

But at this point, there cant be anymore loses to opine.

yeah we can't lose any more. All you got to do is win 2 games in the playoffs and you're in the AFC championship. Its not like you're playing some type of multiple team journey like basketball. Nobody is going to tell me we couldn't beat a Baltimore, Oakland, or even a Denver if we play a clean game which has been much of the problem. We've won our fair share and the losses haven't been that bad. All you got to do is play well for two games. Throw the stats out the window. I remember we blocked like pure crap in 2014, but once the playoffs started we shored the blocking up in every game just about. Season record doesnt mean a whole lot.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

The problem is that we have nothing to put together.  After 11 games, we know what we have here. There is no superstar injured player that we are waiting to return to the field. Bob Sanders is not coming to rescue us. We have the same inconsistent coaching on the sideline.   We could lose the remainder of the games just as easily as we could win them. 

7 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I never understand those of you wanting us to tank. Having a top 10 pick doesn't guarantee you ANYTHING. Just ask the Cleveland Browns and the Jacksonville Jaguars (before these past 2 draft) 

The draft is a gamble regardless of where you're picking. And when Ryan Grigson is your GM, that gamble factor is increased by 80% 

2013 (i think it's that one) draft class is nonexistent on this current roster. That's just sickening 

I concur