Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can the Colts make the playoffs @ 8-8?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

3 hours ago, Superman said:

They aren't ready for primetime, IMO. I don't care about that. Getting to the playoffs is important for a team's development, and you don't want to fall into a pattern of not making the playoffs.

I definitely don't worry about them being blown out, as if it's a reflection of me personally. As a matter of fact, if they get whooped badly, that might fully expose this staff and lead to changes. 

Or better yet, how about they get hot, go the playoffs and make some noise, maybe even becoming one of those stumbling 4 seeds that puts it all together right in time to make a deep playoff run...? I don't think that's likely at all, but it's not unheard of. And it can't happen if they don't go in the first place.

Like these guys haven't been exposed like a person undressed as of now??!!  

Not making the playoffs and an irate fanbase may cause this clueless owner to make some damn changes!!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

This is a fantastic post 21 I agree 1000000%!!! I just really think your just wasting your time typing out these very long and truthful posts cause it won't change anything your still gonna be a "terrible fan". You are not allowed to think losing is helpfull in anyway cause that makes you a fake fan and you should go root for the Browns. This line of thinking somehow means you don't love the Colts. 

I agree

7 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Not making the playoffs and an irate fanbase may cause this clueless owner to make some damn changes!!

How do you know it will though? I don't think Irsay is firing either no matter how the season ends. He just signed both guys to 4 years.

37 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

The problem is that we have nothing to put together.  After 11 games, we know what we have here. There is no superstar injured player that we are waiting to return to the field. Bob Sanders is not coming to rescue us. We have the same inconsistent coaching on the sideline.   We could lose the remainder of the games just as easily as we could win them. 

Meh. I don't know the future, but yes, it's possible that they could lose out. If they do, then it is what it is.

You're acting like it would be a bad thing if they were to win out, because you're writing off any chance of anything good happening in the playoffs, in Week 13. That's your prerogative, but making the playoffs is never a bad thing, IMO. 

35 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Please explain to me this "irate fanbase" / "clueless owner" relationship... Owners don't make changes because fans are mad, and that's a good thing.

The difference between us is that you are rooting for the Colts to fail because you dislike the people in charge. I'm rooting for the Colts to succeed because I like the Colts. They can only succeed if the people in charge do their jobs well. If they don't do their jobs well, then Irsay will make changes. 

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How do you know it will though? I don't think Irsay is firing either no matter how the season ends. He just signed both guys to 4 years.

I just did the math... even if the Colts lose out, there's a 13.7% chance of Irsay firing anyone this offseason.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I just did the math... even if the Colts lose out, there's a 13.7% chance of Irsay firing anyone this offseason.

I don't see it either but some people think he will if we lose. I highly doubt it though. Also regarding the Draft I am ok picking in the 20's as long as we have a pick in every round. I just think winning the Division and being 1 of 12 teams standing is cool to me, that always gives your team a chance to win the whole thing. We have a knack of making Final 4's like in 1995 and 2014 for example when not expected.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Please explain to me this "irate fanbase" / "clueless owner" relationship... Owners don't make changes because fans are mad, and that's a good thing.

The difference between us is that you are rooting for the Colts to fail because you dislike the people in charge. I'm rooting for the Colts to succeed because I like the Colts. They can only succeed if the people in charge do their jobs well. If they don't do their jobs well, then Irsay will make changes. 

Not challenging your fanhood but I love the team too much to see them going through this. I know the owners don't care as long as the fans keep shelling out money for tickets and merchandise.  I just believe the fans can in some way get the attention of billionaire owners. Maybe if we show our anger as a fanbase by turning our backs to the field for 1 minute maybe they would get the message that we want better for our team. 

4 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Not challenging your fanhood but I love the team too much to see them going through this. I know the owners don't care as long as the fans keep shelling out money for tickets and merchandise.  I just believe the fans can in some way get the attention of billionaire owners. Maybe if we show our anger as a fanbase by turning our backs to the field for 1 minute maybe they would get the message that we want better for our team. 

Believe I am not happy being 5-6 but I don't think losing helps any cause either.

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well, I guess since you want us to lose you are a true fan LOL. I mean really?

This is exactly what I'm talking about 21 posts a huge long post about why some of us think it's  better to lose yet you all spew the same I'm a better fan then you % 

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about 21 posts a huge long post about why some of us think it's  better to lose yet you all spew the same I'm a better fan then you % 

I read his Post and see his point and yours but I disagree with rooting for us to lose because Grigs and Pagano aren't getting fired IMO and picking in the 20's instead of 10th for example makes no difference.

7 minutes ago, Introspect said:

They're really not going through anything all that awful. I think some of us put too much on the situation. I'm not happy with where the team is right now, but it gets a lot worse than this. Unless you're someone who thinks that there's zero chance of the Colts doing anything as long as Grigson/Pagano are in charge, then I don't understand why people are so hopeless about them. They aren't great this year, but everything is going to rest on how they draft moving forward.

I don't think Irsay is motivated by ticket sales and merchandise. I think he wants the Colts to be a winner, and expects them to be better than they are now. I kind of find it offensive when he's undermined as an owner -- mostly on the basis of you not liking his guys -- but that's my problem. I think an organized demonstration would be attention grabbing, but I don't think it would influence his decision making. Despite this unfounded reputation he has of being impetuous and hasty, Irsay is a patient, thoughtful owner who makes decisions based on what he thinks is best for the organization. He's proven that over the last 20 years, and the Colts have been one of the better franchises in the league over that time. 

You act like he's Daniel Snyder or something. Jerry Jones is now highly regarded again because the Cowboys look great, but the Colts have as many SB appearances as the Cowboys have playoff wins in the last 20 years. Irsay is a good owner.

My hope -- and maybe I'm being myopic -- is that Grigson's 2016 offseason is a sign of good things to come. That Pagano and his staff get it together and make better gameday decisions. I hope that the guys here now are the right guys, because that would be best case scenario. I'm not optimistic, especially about the coaching, but I'm hopeful. I don't have to hope, though -- I know -- that Irsay has his finger on the pulse of this team, and won't put up with even sustained mediocrity. He never has before, and he's not going to now. He put everyone on notice last January, and if they don't get this team at the top of the AFC in short order, he's going to get rid of them. There's no doubt in my mind about that.

In the meantime, I'm not going to root for my team to lose just because I don't believe in the current leadership. I love the Colts too much to do that.

8 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I would rather the Colts make it into the playoffs because they are actually good, instead of the rest of the division being garbage and the Colts are slightly less smelly garbage. 

7 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I like the optimism, but the problem is, this team isn't even that good. 

2 right on the money posts Lolly. This is gonna sound horrible, but I don't wanna just slide into the playoffs just because the Jags & Texans didn't live up to their potential or the money spent to improve their rosters. I want to know that INDY can do damage in the playoffs not get eliminated in the first round in all likelihood. 

Yeah, I know that INDY actually got a few sacks on Marcus Mariotta courtesy of Mathis & Walden which was nice to see, but in the playoffs our lack of a running game would get exposed darn quick. 

And minus that Pat McAfee throw vs the Steelers on Thanksgiving night on NBC....INDY was no threat to Pittsburgh at all. Man, I hate getting humiliated on Natl. TV with everybody watching. It blows. 

31 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think Irsay is motivated by ticket sales and merchandise. I think he wants the Colts to be a winner, and expects them to be better than they are now. I kind of find it offensive when he's undermined as an owner -- mostly on the basis of you not liking his guys -- but that's my problem. I think an organized demonstration would be attention grabbing, but I don't think it would influence his decision making. Despite this unfounded reputation he has of being impetuous and hasty, Irsay is a patient, thoughtful owner who makes decisions based on what he thinks is best for the organization. He's proven that over the last 20 years, and the Colts have been one of the better franchises in the league over that time.

Preface: I've made my criticisms of Irsay very clear and I stand by them.  With that said, I agree with you that Irsay really wants the team to win.  I don't think he views things as simply a business and is just looking to make a profit through sales.  I think he wants to build a consistent winner.  However, many of the issues the team has have been part of the Colts for a long time.  In fact, they've been with us for so long that they're part of our culture/how teams see us.  When you say Indianapolis Colts, what do NFL fans usually say?  Offense first, QB-centric, underwhelming running game, problems with the OL, defense has lots of holes, not very aggressive, more finesse than physical, you push them around and punch them in the mouth, etc.  This kind of reputation has materialized and stuck with us through multiple coaching regimes, including Dungy, Caldwell, and Pagano.  We haven't had a consistent defense for several years, the OL problems have lasted us several years.  Since those problems and that kind of reputation - which you could easily argue still holds true to the team today - has lasted so long and through so many changes in GM/head coach, doesn't that suggest that the one constant throughout all that time (Irsay) could be contributing to those problems?

7 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

2 right on the money posts Lolly. This is gonna sound horrible, but I don't wanna just slide into the playoffs just because the Jags & Texans didn't live up to their potential or the money spent to improve their rosters. I want to know that INDY can do damage in the playoffs not get eliminated in the first round in all likelihood. 

Yeah, I know that INDY actually got a few sacks on Marcus Mariotta courtesy of Mathis & Walden which was nice to see, but in the playoffs our lack of a running game would get exposed darn quick. 

And minus that Pat McAfee throw vs the Steelers on Thanksgiving night on NBC....INDY was no threat to Pittsburgh at all. Man, I hate getting humiliated on Natl. TV with everybody watching. It blows. 

So because 2 teams almost every one in the media said would be better than us doesn't live up to their potential you don't want us to make the Playoffs? You know how silly that sounds? Sorry but that sounds ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All I heard from people on here is whooooooo, Jags Drafted Great Defense they are awesome. Texans signed Brock whooooooooo, Well they should be 11-5 teams then and make a Title Game like Andrew has otherwise screw those teams.

Jags do have the number 7 rank D. If Blake bortles played like last year they would be in first place

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

But I predicted he wouldn't because Bortles isn't that Good. Many thought he would. Jags suck and we will beat them here in Indy to make up for the earlier loss. We will beat Houston too.

We will win as long TY isn't shut down by a rookie again 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So because 2 teams almost every one in the media said would be better than us doesn't live up to their potential you don't want us to make the Playoffs? You know how silly that sounds? Sorry but that sounds ridiculous.

Actually, it doesn't because if Brock was as good as advertised or worthy of the salary the Texans gave him in guaranteed money this forum would be pretty quiet right now. And it's only because the Jags & Texans are floundering that INDY is still alive in the playoff hunt right now. 

Tennessee is making strides forward & they have a solid running game under DeMarco Murray. That's not a slam on Frank Gore BTW. I just mean that the Titans could actually be formidable in the post season whereas INDY would have problems if you double teamed TY & disrupted Moncrief off the line of scrimmage as often as possible. Jack Doyle is turning a money TE though. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Actually, it doesn't because if Brock was as good as advertised or worthy of the salary the Texans gave him in guaranteed money this forum would be pretty quiet right now. And it's only because the Jags & Texans are floundering that INDY is still alive in the playoff hunt right now. 

Tennessee is making strides forward & they have a solid running game under DeMarco Murray. That's not a slam on Frank Gore BTW. I just mean that the Titans could actually be formidable in the post season whereas INDY would have problems if you double teamed TY & disrupted Moncrief off the line of scrimmage as often as possible. Jack Doyle is turning a money TE though. 

The thing is I never bought into Brock being good nor did I buy into the Jags being good at all.

To be honest, I think that many are concerned that if we make the playoffs it will mean no action taken in the front office. We have so many weak areas, it's going to be tough to get this team to Superbowl caliber without a lot of player and/or coaching changes.  We cannot be idle in free agency but also not stupid and throw a wheelbarrow full of cash to some retread or end-career crap-shoot.

4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Tennessee has a nice Offense, glad we swept them because we may end up with the same record as them. A lot of the media had us finishing last in the Division so if we win the Division wouldn't that be the definition of over achieving. People need to think about that.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The thing is I never bought into Brock being good nor did I buy into the Jags being good at all.

I'm with ya on the Jags being overrated. Bye; Bye Gus Bradley. 

I just figured that Brock played so well in Denver last yr substituting for 18 that Mr. Oz would hit the ground running. He's weird cause 1 game he'd look decent & then the following week he throw the ball to covered guys or not even notice a DB closing fast for another turnover. 

Just now, southwest1 said:

I'm with ya on the Jags being overrated. Bye; Bye Gus Bradley. 

I just figured that Brock played so well in Denver last yr substituting for 18 that Mr. Oz would hit the ground running. He's weird cause 1 game he'd look decent & then the following week he throw the ball to covered guys or not even notice a DB closing fast for another turnover. 

I did think it would be an upgrade compared to what they have had but I am not sure now. I never thought he would be better than 9-7 with their Roster though. I could make a strong case that Fitz and Hoyer played better in a Texan uniform.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tennessee has a nice Offense, glad we swept them because we may end up with the same record as them. A lot of the media had us finishing last in the Division so if we win the Division wouldn't that be the definition of over achieving. People need to think about that.

A big thing to me is being competitive as opposed to dominant wins. Hades, I'm not even talking about the AFC South right now. I'm referring to if INDY made the playoffs could we protect Luck, could we bring down Big Ben or Brady, could we get 4yards a carry in the snow? Answer: I have my doubts. 

Also, once a QB gets their 1st serious NFL concussion in the NFL, they are more susceptible to increasing now...That's what worries me the most: A GM & HC incapable of reducing his punishment in the pocket. 

Just now, southwest1 said:

A big thing to me is being competitive as opposed to dominant wins. Hades, I'm not even talking about the AFC South right now. I'm referring to if INDY made the playoffs could we protect Luck, could we bring down Big Ben or Brady, could we get 4yards a carry in the snow? Answer: I have my doubts. 

Yeah I cant seeing us beating the Pats or Steelers either so I got your point but you never know. I just hate seeing us lose any game.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I could make a strong case that Fitz and Hoyer played better in a Texan uniform.

I always felt bad for Brian Hoyer. He's not as atrocious as that playoff loss vs the Chiefs & he was playing well in Chicago before he got hurt. 

All Fitz is good at is growing facial hair. LOL! 

4 hours ago, egg said:

My understanding is: Colts win head to head against Titans, eliminating Tenn...Colts /Texans tie head to head at 1-1...next tiebreaker between  Colts /Texans would be divisional record, which the Texans could still win if they beat Jags.

That's incorrect. With 3 teams from the same division tied, meaning they have all played each other twice, it's the head to head record of each team vs the other two. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

SW1 The Titans can't even beat the Colts. Now you're talking about them being formidable in the post season? Wasn't that the Colts defense that just shut that guy down a weekend or so ago time after time? What does Mariota do if that happened in the playoffs? And please tell me you believe in that secondary of theirs? You my bro but I ain't buying that. They have to lean on that running game because their WR are poor to mediocre. I will leave it at that because they wont sniff the playoffs anyway. They ain't beating Denver or KC and we've already beaten them twice.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Meh. I don't know the future, but yes, it's possible that they could lose out. If they do, then it is what it is.

You're acting like it would be a bad thing if they were to win out, because you're writing off any chance of anything good happening in the playoffs, in Week 13. That's your prerogative, but making the playoffs is never a bad thing, IMO. 

Exactly. If you hate Grigs and Pags, that's okay. But you can't act as if them being here automatically means the team is never gonna amount to anything ever. They're here. They're our teams leaders. Might as well support em (or at least hope they do well). 

Some people act as if they'd rather the team lose, than be wrong about Grigs and Pags.

5 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Exactly. If you hate Grigs and Pags, that's okay. But you can't act as if them being here automatically means the team is never gonna amount to anything ever. They're here. They're our teams leaders. Might as well support em (or at least hope they do well). 

Some people act as if they'd rather the team lose, than be wrong about Grigs and Pags.

its really getting ridiculous. Youd think we were 0-13 or something with some of the terrible outlooks.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

doesn't that suggest that the one constant throughout all that time (Irsay) could be contributing to those problems?

In short, no. Irsay doesn't build the teams.

He hired a GM in 1998 that built a winner, despite their flaws on the defense (this is where I point out that the Colts had a good OL and a good run until 2008; most of the Manning era), that did a lot of good things. He also hired a defensive guru as the head coach, so pointing to Irsay as the reason the Colts didn't have a top defense is lazy, at best. When you're winning 12 games every year, it's hard to call for wholesale changes to your leadership. All told, Polian was a very good GM, and Dungy was a very good coach -- despite their respective shortcomings.

In 2012, he hired a group that was to build a good, balanced team with a solid defense; in fact, he gave them a mandate to do so, and has publicly repeated that mandate several times since then. They haven't been successful so far, but that doesn't mean that Irsay isn't serious about the mandate. Like the previous regime, these guys have had some success, and it's not that easy to just kick them out of the building when they've done some good things already. Look around the league at regimes that have never done anything worth mentioning. People say crazy stuff like 'anyone would be better than Grigson and Pagano,' but we all know that's not true. 

No one is content with what they've done so far, and I'm sure that includes Irsay. But like I said, he's not impetuous and impatient, but that doesn't mean he's going to put up with sustained mediocrity. Pagano and Grigson sold him on a second chance (which he seemed inclined toward anyways), and he's going to give them a chance to fix their mistakes and make it work. I think Grigson has done a better job in 2016 than Pagano, but Pagano's work gets judged in the moment, while Grigson's will need time to really be evaluated. 

You can blame Jerry Jones for whatever issues the Cowboys have, because he makes day to day decisions. You can blame ownership in Cincinnati for having one of the longest tenured HCs in the league, with zero postseason success, despite a pretty good roster (14 years of Marvin Lewis, believe it or not, and 0 playoff wins). You can blame other ownership groups around the league for consistently hiring GMs and coaches who can't achieve anything that even remotely resembles success. Blaming Irsay because his two GMs in the last 18 years haven't build a strong defense is a severe stretch, IMO. 

22 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Yup. Some people sincerely believe that Grigson and Pagano are awful and the Colts are doomed as long as they are here. That's fine, they've both given reasons to doubt their ability.

Where I start shaking my head is when it becomes obvious that people would rather see the Colts go down in flames so that those two are gone than to see the team actually do well and get better with Grigson and Pagano. To me, many are rooting for the Colts to fail because they want to be right. Me, I would have gotten rid of Grigson and Pagano last year, but Irsay kept them, so I hope that I'm wrong. And I see no point in bellyaching about Irsay's decision all season long.

52 minutes ago, krunk said:

SW1 The Titans can't even beat the Colts. Now you're talking about them being formidable in the post season? Wasn't that the Colts defense that just shut that guy down a weekend or so ago time after time? What does Mariota do if that happened in the playoffs? And please tell me you believe in that secondary of theirs? You my bro but I ain't buying that. They have to lean on that running game because their WR are poor to mediocre. I will leave it at that because they wont sniff the playoffs anyway. They ain't beating Denver or KC and we've already beaten them twice.

1. The Titans can actually run the ball to set up the play action pass under Murray more consistently then say INDY can right now. 2. Beating a division rival in the regular season has no real bearing on playoff success at all if a team gets say even a Wildcard bid for instance. 3.Tennessee has a reliable pass rusher threat in Brian Orakpo. 4. Denver might not even make the playoffs given how well the Raiders are playing right now. Denver is really missing RB C. J. Anderson who moved the chains & was solid on blitz pickup for Trevor Siemen.

5. Tennessee would at least look they belong on the field against the Steelers unlike INDY who always gets crushed by Pittsburgh. The Titans would still lose sure but DC Dick LeBeau would make them competitive for at least 2 quarters at least. 

Sidenote: Yes, we have had Tennessee's number of late that is true. But, eventually little brother beats big brother or finds a way to break through. Just like Denver finally handed us an L in the loss column. We can't keep taking satisfaction in beating division rivals & them getting demolished outside the AFC South when games really matter. The way Andy Reid & the Chiefs played the Broncos on SNF at home I'm not so sure we could beat them at Arrowhead in December right now.