Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eze Obiora/ Dwight Freeney

Jonathan24

Saw that the Colts signed this guy to a reserved/ future contract.  From what I see he is an ok pass rusher,  his style kind of reminds me of Dwight Freeney.  However, this guy could be just a product of where he played (AFL).  In the AFL teams only have 3 down lineman which means everyone is in a 1 v 1 which makes it alot easier for the quick guys to disrupt the opposing team.  I would also like to see him develop a bullrush.  Take a look for yourself and let me know what you think. 

Edited by SteelCityColt
Corrected Spelling

10 minutes ago, Jonathan24 said:

Saw that the Colts signed this guy to a reserved/ future contract.  From what I see he is an ok pass rusher,  his style kind of reminds me of dwight freeny.  However, this guy could be just a product of where he played (AFL).  In the AFL teams only have 3 down lineman which means everyone is in a 1 v 1 which makes it alot easier for the quick guys to disrupt the opposing team.  I would also like to see him develop a bullrush.  Take a look for yourself and let me know what you think.

He is playing in the AFL for a reason. He is NO Freeny! Just another Grigs project. 

I kinda did one of those scoff/laughs and spit on the screen whenever I saw the kickoff return lol.  Whoever that giant Tackle was, he could not handle Eze's speed whatsoever.  It was like watching a fat cat try to catch a mouse.  

On Eze in general, He's got some workable tools.  It's hard to tell how fast he is but he looks to run close to a 4.8 40 time - a little slow but not terrible.  Given the competition, appears he has good closing speed and I would say very good balance and flexibility (speculation, but would probably be average to good at the next level).  His rip move works at the AFL level, but most of the problem with it in the film is that it's mostly just an arm motion - no actual dip (and perhaps thats in part because the guy looks like he's about 8 inches taller than him).  As you noted, there's almost no power in his arsenal the times it was shown on film.  

Even if he worked on all these things and stuck around the NFL, his physical limitations probably puts him in the realm of a special teams player with situational backup potential.  

2 minutes ago, Jonathan24 said:

I know he is not Freeny but they way he plays reminds me of him.  However, he could be another J Freeman type that comes in a contribute.

I`m know you didn`t believe this guy was the next Freeny or anything like that. I just don`t get amped up any longer with these project players, because very rarely do they turn out to be a Cameron Wake type player. With that being said, I like this guy probably better than a former rugby player. That is all.

13 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I`m know you didn`t believe this guy was the next Freeny or anything like that. I just don`t get amped up any longer with these project players, because very rarely do they turn out to be a Cameron Wake type player. With that being said, I like this guy probably better than a former rugby player. That is all.

He is a former rugby player...lol.

1 hour ago, Jonathan24 said:

Saw that the Colts signed this guy to a reserved/ future contract.  From what I see he is an ok pass rusher,  his style kind of reminds me of dwight freeny.  However, this guy could be just a product of where he played (AFL).  In the AFL teams only have 3 down lineman which means everyone is in a 1 v 1 which makes it alot easier for the quick guys to disrupt the opposing team.  I would also like to see him develop a bullrush.  Take a look for yourself and let me know what you think. 

I think you mean freenEy?  There is a player out there with the last name of freeny. 

That's just pitiful when people are sititng around actually putting a Reserve Futures contract guy under the Microscope. "Oh That Grigson!" "There he goes ruining the team!"  Name me one team that doesn't hire these type of crap shoot players on futures contracts.  I'll be waiting!  #stopbeingparanoid

1 hour ago, needanoline63 said:

These are the kind of players we don't need. Grigson at it again

There's nothing wrong with a signing like this. The only thing that makes it an issue are those rare posters who put too much stock into it. I think there's a lot less of that around here lately though.

16 minutes ago, Jonathan24 said:

Did Freeny ever play with the COLTS?

Oh no, im sorry, I would expect a colts fan to know how to spell the name one of our best defensive players of the past 20 years. Its not a typo cause you mis-spelled it in two different locations.

4 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Oh no, im sorry, I would expect a colts fan to know how to spell one of our best defensive players names in the past 20 years. Its not a typo cause you mis-spelled it in two different locations.

Never the less others knew exactly who was being referred to.  And since you want to be a d bag there  is not a hyphen in misspelled.

1 minute ago, Narcosys said:

Oh no, im sorry, I would expect a colts fan to know how to spell one of our best defensive players names in the past 20 years. Its not a typo cause you mis-spelled it in two different locations.

I love your avatar by the way. Every once in a while I compliment people on their Avatar's but that looks like mean Yoda on a mission. Yeah one cant misspell FreenEY's name without getting teased a little.

10 minutes ago, Jonathan24 said:

Never the less others knew exactly who was being referred to.  And since you want to be a d bag there  is not a hyphen in misspelled.

Get it right or pay the price.

If I spell Peyton "Payton" you'll know who I'm talking about but you'll also think I'm a fool.

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

another one of these grigs experiments, not in favor.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love your avatar by the way. Every once in a while I compliment people on their Avatar's but that looks like mean Yoda on a mission. Yeah one cant misspell FreenEY's name without getting teased a little.

That is actually a clay sculpture. 

Goodness gracious, you guys are just not willing to give a new guy a chance. Just because other projects did not work out, it does not mean this one won't work out. You can be pessimistic all you want but this guy closes fast and gets underneath the pads well, from what I see. 

It is hard to evaluate with 5 OL in the NFL but when the pads come on in pre-season, we will keep an eye on him. You keep digging for diamonds, eventually you will find one, that is the glass half full view and I am sticking with it :).

5 hours ago, krunk said:

That's just pitiful when people are sititng around actually putting a Reserve Futures contract guy under the Microscope. "Oh That Grigson!" "There he goes ruining the team!"  Name me one team that doesn't hire these type of crap shoot players on futures contracts.  I'll be waiting!  #stopbeingparanoid

You have to be careful and not feed the wrong crowd on a slow news day....got to slip these type of signings in and around major news if you don't want to pay the nuisance tax..

I can't believe Grigson.  He's such a bad GM.  I can't believe that he would sign a player that costs no money and no roster spot to a contract that can be cut with no penalty.  He keeps doing this over and over again.

I wish he knew professional football like I do.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Some folks just have to have something to complain about,

13 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

You have to be careful and not feed the wrong crowd on a slow news day....got to slip these type of signings in and around major news if you don't want to pay the nuisance tax..

It would be much easier if people just understood what the terms "Future/Reserves Contract" and "Practice Squad" meant and what that entails - namely that it's a way to lock in a guy you like so he can at least make it to OTAs

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

It would be much easier if people just understood what the terms "Future/Reserves Contract" and "Practice Squad" meant and what that entails - namely that it's a way to lock in a guy you like so he can at least make it to OTAs

Each and every NFL team does this annual dance of roster churning, Every season at least 592 players are going to get kicked back to the street out of those picked up. 

I'd be more worried if Grigson wasn't making these sort of moves kicking tyres on guys like this. 

2 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Each and every NFL team does this annual dance of roster churning, Every season at least 592 players are going to get kicked back to the street out of those picked up. 

I'd be more worried if Grigson wasn't making these sort of moves kicking tyres on guys like this. 

Well, then just so we can fit in...

EWFzV.gif