Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael Bennett Shares Some Ummm....interesting Thoughts

RockThatBlue

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on about QBs getting paid for mediocrity. 

I didn't see the Suggs/Bradford hit, but if he handed the ball off it should have been a penalty for hitting the QB. I agree that the league coddles the QBs, but there is no need to hit a guy that is out of the play. The league doesn't put up with late hits on anybody.

I mean he makes a point. None of what he said can really be argued whether he said it out loud or not. Personally I'd probably convert 3-4 mill of whats left on his current contract into guaranteed money. I still would not give into Kams holding out

I didn't see the Suggs/Bradford hit, but if he handed the ball off it should have been a penalty for hitting the QB. I agree that the league coddles the QBs, but there is no need to hit a guy that is out of the play. The league doesn't put up with late hits on anybody.

Suggs actually pulled up & just wrapped his arm around Bradford's legs. Had that been a reg season game, Suggs would've obliterated him, not to mention if Philly wants to run the read option with a QB that's had 2 knee surgeries, then they better not complain if/when he gets hit.

I personally don't feel it was malicious on the part of Suggs, but whatever:  

ukomR6.0.gif

I personally don't feel it was malicious on the part of Suggs, but whatever:

ukomR6.0.gif

First time I've seen it. That was as dirty as can be. The qb wasn't a runner, the ball was way gone, and he went for the knees instead of midsection. Penalty was the right call.

They were running a read option. A big part of the read option is the QB has the option to keep the ball. Therefore, Suggs was completely in his right to hit Bradford.

Here's an idea: Don't run the read option with your immobile, bad kneed/injury prone, QB, if you don't want him to be hit unnecessarily.

First time I've seen it. That was as dirty as can be. The qb wasn't a runner, the ball was way gone, and he went for the knees instead of midsection. Penalty was the right call.

Like it or not, Bradford is a runner on that play and should be treated as one. And the ball was in no way long gone. Bradford pulled his hands from the RBs gut the instant before Suggs hit him.

Actually, the league said the penalty was not the right call

I didn't watch the game but I'm curious. Was the tackle directly on the knee? Didn't the Colts get penalized for basically the same tackle on Tim Tebow during the 1st preseason game. Ref mentioned the hit was at the knees. I couldn't remember the play so I'm unsure if it was a read option.

I didn't watch the game but I'm curious. Was the tackle directly on the knee? Didn't the Colts get penalized for basically the same tackle on Tim Tebow during the 1st preseason game. Ref mentioned the hit was at the knees. I couldn't remember the play so I'm unsure if it was a read option.

Ref mentioned it was a low hit on the QB...It was a low hit but not at the knee, Suggs dove and wrapped his arms around Bradford legs below the knees and as Suggs dove Sam tried to avoid the hit which caused the play to look worse then it was

https://vine.co/v/eDx6PWuaPtt

Here's another angle.

Incorrect.

It was almost two full seconds the ball was gone. And the RB was definitely 2-3 yards gone when he got hit.

I would be more ok with it had he not blatantly put his head at knee level. There was no need for it. Do you really think that if Suggs stayed upright that Bradford would have run him over? Its not like its a hard charging RB where you have to get low.

Clearly no intent to go after or tackle the RB. Hitting the QB at knee level when he could have easily blown him up with a higher tackle can quickly be interpreted as malicious intent. In either case, totally unnecessary as the ball was long gone. Dirty play by a dirty thug. Not that the NFL truly gives a crap about that.

Just because you hand the ball off in shot gun doesn't mean your running a read option that looks exactly the same as a draw play. Had that ben Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or our own beloved Andrew Luck people would still have been up in arms. The ball was long gone and Suggs was taking a cheap shot. He easily could have wrapped him up around the midsection. Fact is above the neck and at the knees and below is going to be a violation. There was no reason for the hit...and especially on a qb in the preseason. It could have been worse but he went low and he went late...Suggs didn't even play the running back he was going to hit the qb the whole time regardless of how long the ball had left.

It was almost two full seconds the ball was gone. And the RB was definitely 2-3 yards gone when he got hit.

I would be more ok with it had he not blatantly put his head at knee level. There was no need for it. Do you really think that if Suggs stayed upright that Bradford would have run him over? Its not like its a hard charging RB where you have to get low.

2 full seconds?

2 full seconds?

If the qb had thrown the ball instead and the lb takes two full steps and still hits him...its a flag all day....and Suggs had already dropped his head on the play....I don't see how anyone can argue he is targeting. He isn't playing heads up football...seems pretty clear to me but I guess everyone sees what they want.

Keep the Suggs talk over in the Suggs article.

As for the soundbite, I heard it on Mike and Mike this morning.  I thought it was kinda funny.  I thought the response, forget who it was from, was even funnier.  Basically, it was somethign like, if you want to make more money, be one of the top 32 at the QB position.  He can complain, but it's just the way it is.

2 secs is a gross exaggeration. 

I personally feel Suggs was going for direct hit on Bradford (since with read option the QB could become the runner) and Bradford spun out of the way and Suggs hits his knees. 

Keep the Suggs talk over in the Suggs article.

As for the soundbite, I heard it on Mike and Mike this morning. I thought it was kinda funny. I thought the response, forget who it was from, was even funnier. Basically, it was somethign like, if you want to make more money, be one of the top 32 at the QB position. He can complain, but it's just the way it is.

The response was from your backup QB's brother Tim Hasselbeck.

2 secs is a gross exaggeration. 

I personally feel Suggs was going for direct hit on Bradford (since with read option the QB could become the runner) and Bradford spun out of the way and Suggs hits his knees. 

From the time the ball hits the RB to the time suggs hits him is almost 2 seconds.  between 1.5 to 2. 

So you are trying to say that if bradford didnt spin that suggs would not have hit his knees?  Funny i dont recall bradford practicing his ballerina footwork and doing a jumping pirouette.

Depends on how he's defining mediocrity.  I'm guessing he's holding QB's to a higher standard then he is other players.

The thing about NFL QB's is not only how important they are to the game but how few good starters there actually are.

The best QB's likely to hit free agency in any given year are Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Cassel, and Brian Hoyer.  These guys are not what I would call a "good starter"

However with any other position you can usually find good starters in free agency.  

On top of that a draft class for any other position almost always would provide at least 1 good starter most of the time far more good starters in each and every draft class.  Not true with QB's, you will often see drafts that do not produce one decent long term starting QB.  Much less several.

From the time the ball hits the RB to the time suggs hits him is almost 2 seconds. between 1.5 to 2.

lmao. Not even close.

The whole deal with the read option is even when the ball is in the RBs gut the QB can still pull it and run. Bradford had only just pulled his hands from the RBs gut and Suggs was already on him.

lmao. Not even close.

The whole deal with the read option is even when the ball is in the RBs gut the QB can still pull it and run. Bradford had only just pulled his hands from the RBs gut and Suggs was already on him.

you need to look again.  at initial contact, the RB was already at the line of scrimmage.  Or were just watching two totally different things.

you need to look again. at initial contact, the RB was already at the line of scrimmage. Or were just watching two totally different things.

And it took the RB a full 2 seconds to get to the LOS, huh? Trent Richardson isn't even that slow.

By the time Bradford had pulled his hands from the RBs gut Suggs was fully committed and that's how you're supposed to play the read option. If the QB was a scrambler like Michael Vick nobody would question the motives of that hit.

Just because you hand the ball off in shot gun doesn't mean your running a read option that looks exactly the same as a draw play. Had that ben Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or our own beloved Andrew Luck people would still have been up in arms. The ball was long gone and Suggs was taking a cheap shot. He easily could have wrapped him up around the midsection. Fact is above the neck and at the knees and below is going to be a violation. There was no reason for the hit...and especially on a qb in the preseason. It could have been worse but he went low and he went late...Suggs didn't even play the running back he was going to hit the qb the whole time regardless of how long the ball had left.

Besides the fact that it was a clear read option run by a team that runs hundreds of read options a season.

I'll play the other side of the coin. If the QB was a scrambler like Mike Vick, nobody questions the motives of that hit. Suggs played that perfectly, if Bradford keeps it he's stopped cold. The QB was Suggs' responsibility in case of read option.

And it took the RB a full 2 seconds to get to the LOS, huh? Trent Richardson isn't even that slow.

By the time Bradford had pulled his hands from the RBs gut Suggs was fully committed and that's how you're supposed to play the read option. If the QB was a scrambler like Michael Vick nobody would question the motives of that hit.

And like i said in other posts.  Whether 'committed' or not, there was time to realize he didnt have the ball and pull up or atleast went for a tackle around his midsection.  I've seen other players do it, but i guess Suggs is just not as smart or maybe cogniscent as the rest of the league. 

Either way, he committed to Bradfords knees.  Unnecessary and uncalled for.  And furthermore it is just poor and dumb technique to just leave his feet and dive like he did.  If he were to miss, this leaves him unable to react and recover.  You're telling me that a professional who gets paid millions does not understand this?  It was intentional and dirty.

And like i said in other posts. Whether 'committed' or not, there was time to realize he didnt have the ball and pull up or atleast went for a tackle around his midsection. I've seen other players do it, but i guess Suggs is just not as smart or maybe cogniscent as the rest of the league.

Either way, he committed to Bradfords knees. Unnecessary and uncalled for. And furthermore it is just poor and dumb technique to just leave his feet and dive like he did. If he were to miss, this leaves him unable to react and recover. You're telling me that a professional who gets paid millions does not understand this? It was intentional and dirty.

Again there was no time. That was bang bang. He did his job, you can't hesitate to see whether the QB has the ball or not.

Believe whatever you'd like. It was a poor form tackle but that doesn't make it dirty. Even the league backed him up.