Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck created that blowout on Sunday

mystrymaster

Now I know I will get more than a few to just read the title and not the actual post so stay with me here people.

Andrew Luck has the clutch gene, he has the ability to come back in any situation and almost did it Sunday, he was well on his way to another Andrew Luck WOW moment. So Because of this Pittsburgh never took their foot off the gas thus resulting in at least 1/3 of Ben's big day.  I think we will see more of this over Luck's career.  Usually when teams jump up 17-21 points they take go conservative and settle it down and move into a ball control shell.  That is not the way you win a game against this Colts team. They way you beat him (Luck) is to never rest on the points you have just keep trying for more.  

Now I know I will get more than a few to just read the title and not the actual post so stay with me here people.

Andrew Luck has the clutch gene, he has the ability to come back in any situation and almost did it Sunday, he was well on his way to another Andrew Luck WOW moment. So Because of this Pittsburgh never took their foot off the gas thus resulting in at least 1/3 of Ben's big day. I think we will see more of this over Luck's career. Usually when teams jump up 17-21 points they take go conservative and settle it down and move into a ball control shell. That is not the way you win a game against this Colts team. They way you beat him (Luck) is to never rest on the points you have just keep trying for more.

You sneaky devil, you!

well to a small point I can agree since it's been proven over the last 3 years that no lead against the Colts is safe.

However the main reason is Ben and that Pitt O line playing the game of their lives and the Colts D playing their worst possible game all at the same time.

Funny your thread title should say that,

Go check out the MMQB article that was written yesterday absolutely blasting Luck and saying exactly that:

Luck's comebacks are great and all, but he's the reason the team has to comeback so often.

Kind of *ic if you ask me.

What created that blowout was our D Line/O Line getting bullied and humiliated and then all hell broke loose when Vontae went down, The gap between Vontae and the rest of our Corners is huge

Toler has played well....but not everyone is a top 5-10 corner like Davis.  This game was lost in the trenches...plain and simple....and defensive coaching.

Toler has played well....but not everyone is a top 5-10 corner like Davis.  This game was lost in the trenches...plain and simple....and defensive coaching.

Brother I sure wouldn't want to face the road ahaid without Toler . V.D. best we have but Toler is much better than what we had in the past and IMO is very good and as long as healthy improving.

Brother I sure wouldn't want to face the road ahaid without Toler . V.D. best we have but Toler is much better than what we had in the past and IMO is very good and as long as healthy improving.

Toler is very under rated in my opinion. He gets picked on so much because people are staying away from Vontae.

He is suffering from reverse Alvin Harper

You're right, luck threw a pick 6 and put us into hurry up mode, the got stepped on a score down and got a safety. Scored too quickly and lost the battle of time of possession.

Resulting in a tired D all game long. Along with an injured D.

I don't think it is as much of what you think it is as much as it is losing the battle of time of possession. Which we have been #1 in the league week in and week out.

They flat out complement each other very well.  We need them both healthy...and Butler too.  I was happy Gordy made a couple of nice plays.

Luck wasn't the cause of the blowout, cmon. The defense was. 

The first INT Luck threw was on Nicks. Nicks has played like pure garbage and his routes are very, very sloppy. I want to see Moncreif eating away at Nicks' snap count from now on. 

The 2nd INT I have a problem with. Luck was throwing to TY in the endzone. I love TY, but he is 5'9". Why are we throwing high/jump balls to the smallest receiver on the team? I realize Bryant (who made the INT) is the same size, but why not throw to a taller receiver who has a better chance of snatching it out of the air? 

You've hit the nail on the head there, shows how much respect opposing head coaches have for Andrew, and how much every Defence fears him!

Not just Luck, but that TY Hilton fella seems to step up in big moments as well. 

But yeah... you don't want to keep it close against the Colts. You're better off taking your chances with your foot on the gas, but that's not an easy thing to do either. The Steelers were able to, kudos to them. 

The first INT Luck threw was on Nicks. Nicks has played like pure garbage and his routes are very, very sloppy. I want to see Moncreif eating away at Nicks' snap count from now on. 

The 2nd INT I have a problem with. Luck was throwing to TY in the endzone. I love TY, but he is 5'9". Why are we throwing high/jump balls to the smallest receiver on the team? I realize Bryant (who made the INT) is the same size, but why not throw to a taller receiver who has a better chance of snatching it out of the air? 

Because the taller player "has played like pure garbage & his routes are very, very sloppy." I know Nicks isn't the only "tall" guy you have, but when it's on the line, I trust Hilton (& I'm not a Colts fan) & I bet Luck feels the same way. 

Andrew Luck has the clutch gene, he has the ability to come back in any situation and almost did it Sunday, he was well on his way to another Andrew Luck WOW moment. So Because of this Pittsburgh never took their foot off the gas thus resulting in at least 1/3 of Ben's big day.  I think we will see more of this over Luck's career.  Usually when teams jump up 17-21 points they take go conservative and settle it down and move into a ball control shell.  That is not the way you win a game against this Colts team. They way you beat him (Luck) is to never rest on the points you have just keep trying for more.  

You do realize that the Steelers where never really ahead by 17 to 21 points for very long.  Luck actually kept us within 2 scores for most of the game despite the fact that the defense could never stop the Steelers.

And I don't think most teams take their foot off the gas until they are about 30 points ahead.  And even then it needs to be near the end of the game.

You do realize that the Steelers where never really ahead by 17 to 21 points for very long.  Luck actually kept us within 2 scores for most of the game despite the fact that the defense could never stop the Steelers.

And I don't think most teams take their foot off the gas until they are about 30 points ahead.  And even then it needs to be near the end of the game.

Teams go into a ball control mode in the second half up by 10.

It irks me that he continuously quits on routes.  You have Hilton running all over the field to get open and there stands Nicks.  I thought he was better than that.

Teams go into a ball control mode in the second half up by 10.

When in the 2nd half?  With 4 min. left in the 4th quarter. . . yes of course.  

At the start of the 3rd quarter.  No that doesn't happen.  Sure they would like to control the ball and have long drives and take time off the clock but the primary focus is still on scoring.

The important thing is, and has always been, the ability to get crucial 3rd down stops in crunch time.  It's on the D to stop their Offense.  Our offense isn't going to let up.  As Mike Tomlin showed, everybody knows this.  Tomlin went for it  4th and a foot, leading by 10 with 5 minutes to go, and in our Red Zone.  Taking a field goal and leading by 13 with just under 5 minutes was not a position he was willing to settle for.  If Werner had tried to cover Heath Miller on that critical play, instead of attempting to block him into the butt of RJF, Luck might have had his chance to deliver another incredible comeback.  Bell was the #1 on that play,as Toler had WR locked up from the  just inside the 1st down sticks.  But Adams had Bell on his radar, and there was no way Bell was going to get outside and up the sideline for a 1st or TD.  Sergio Brown was now feet away from decking Roethlisberger when Ben spots Miller 4-5 yards in the clear of Werner in the end zone because of blown/poor coverage.  TD and (essentially) game over as the Tomlin gamble paid off.  But how many other coaches are going to have the cajones and confidence Tomlin displayed there?  Very Reminiscent to me of Brady / Belichick going for it on 4th and 2 late in the game deep on their side of the field. He wanted a win too, not let Peyton have it... anywhere on the field.  That one failed and Colts / Manning won anyway.  Tomlin's gambit paid off.  But in crunch time, game (and maybe for some) and their job on the line, do other coaches make that/those critical gambles to keep the pressure on?  Or play it safe and see what gos? It's what makes this game fun.

Down 11 on the road, we had a chance to calm things down and be productive, and then the pick-six. So, yeah, Luck deserves some blame.

And to the OP's premise, I do think the Steelers were intent on scoring until the final bell, since the Colts have shown an ability to comeback from large deficits. They were right on point with the first drive of the second half, like they knew the importance of scoring a TD right away. They deserve a lot of credit for playing such a good game.

And to the OP's premise, I do think the Steelers were intent on scoring until the final bell, since the Colts have shown an ability to comeback from large deficits. They were right on point with the first drive of the second half, like they knew the importance of scoring a TD right away. They deserve a lot of credit for playing such a good game.

this and more of this

You've hit the nail on the head there, shows how much respect opposing head coaches have for Andrew, and how much every Defence fears him!

No, it had little do do with the Steelers supposed fear of Luck. It had to do with mediocre defensive play by one team and less than mediocre defensive play by another.

Right.

I blame Pagano and Arians and Luck for all those obnoxious and completely unnecessary come from behind wins.

If Luck hadn't pulled off all those great come back wins,  the Steelers would've never kept their foot on the Colts' throats.   Then, Luck would've been able to bring his team for the great comeback win.

This is practically the textbook definition of over-thinking something to death....      :facepalm:

Because the taller player "has played like pure garbage & his routes are very, very sloppy." I know Nicks isn't the only "tall" guy you have, but when it's on the line, I trust Hilton (& I'm not a Colts fan) & I bet Luck feels the same way. 

Not sure why you are on a Colts Forum if you aren't a fan. But I am sure you don't know how Luck "feels". 

I'm not talking about Nicks, because he sucks. 

Fleener, Allen, Moncreif: take your pick. 

I am fine with people who want to point out Luck's mistakes and things he can work on, and there were some of those on Sunday, however I don't get the part of our fanbase that feels like they need to blame him anytime the Colts lose a game. 

Luck is the only reason this game wasn't a 30 point blow out or more.  Frankly, Luck kept the Colts in a game the Colts had no business being in until late in the game.  Yes his mistake did play a large role in the Steelers winning the game but without Luck the Colts aren't even in that position. 

So while Luck made mistakes on Sunday and it's more than fair to point those out I am not going to put this loss at his feet. 

Good post and explanation, horrible choice of words for a title.

I think the point of the thread was to show Andrew's presence on the opposition, and how uncomfortable he makes their game planing and in game decisions.

Not direct blame on him, he did everything he could to win Pittsburgh's offence just kept pedal to the metal to make sure he stayed in the rear view mirror.

Personally I think it's the start of how opposition offences will plan against us (stay far ahead don't give 12 a chance)

Looked like TY had him but Luck was late and under threw the ball to me. TY was clearly behind the DB. I don't think the intention of that play was a 40 yard jump ball.

TY had man on the outside beat him and Luck didn't get him the ball. I will take that play and Luck will get it there the majority of the time.

it was not a blowout...   

Indy is flawed..   no doubt,       BUT they have Andrew L.     

Indy needs to keep Moncrief in the game.     He is going to really change the dynamic of this O.   

Indy simply has issues on the DL and OL.     I got fooled into thinking maybe it's all good...   but..   NOT.

Another draft going after D play makers.   and yes I am giving up my hope for an elite RB.    The true need is players on D that can win "one on one" .

Rick V..    kicking some truth

http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/ride-jmv/audio-demand/rick-venturi-13

The important thing is, and has always been, the ability to get crucial 3rd down stops in crunch time.  It's on the D to stop their Offense.  Our offense isn't going to let up.  As Mike Tomlin showed, everybody knows this.  Tomlin went for it  4th and a foot, leading by 10 with 5 minutes to go, and in our Red Zone.  Taking a field goal and leading by 13 with just under 5 minutes was not a position he was willing to settle for.  If Werner had tried to cover Heath Miller on that critical play, instead of attempting to block him into the butt of RJF, Luck might have had his chance to deliver another incredible comeback.  Bell was the #1 on that play,as Toler had WR locked up from the  just inside the 1st down sticks.  But Adams had Bell on his radar, and there was no way Bell was going to get outside and up the sideline for a 1st or TD.  Sergio Brown was now feet away from decking Roethlisberger when Ben spots Miller 4-5 yards in the clear of Werner in the end zone because of blown/poor coverage.  TD and (essentially) game over as the Tomlin gamble paid off.  But how many other coaches are going to have the cajones and confidence Tomlin displayed there?  Very Reminiscent to me of Brady / Belichick going for it on 4th and 2 late in the game deep on their side of the field. He wanted a win too, not let Peyton have it... anywhere on the field.  That one failed and Colts / Manning won anyway.  Tomlin's gambit paid off.  But in crunch time, game (and maybe for some) and their job on the line, do other coaches make that/those critical gambles to keep the pressure on?  Or play it safe and see what gos? It's what makes this game fun.

Why is Werner covering Miller on 4th and 2?

Why is Werner covering Miller on 4th and 2?

Because Sergio Brown was sent on a (backside) blitz. He was untouched but Ben was rolling away from him.  LB's were keyed in on the fake dive up the middle by an RB or by Bell heading out to the right flat.  That leaves Werner or RJF to cover Miller. Pick your poison.  Seemed like neither wanted the job, but Werner finally gave chase but was hopelessly behind and losing ground.  Roethlisberger rolling out to his right bought just enough time to get through progression #1 (I think L. Bell) and Progression #2 (the WR Toler locked up) and then to look for Miller.  If Werner had not been keying in on the run up the gut at first, and tried to shadow Miller the whole time, from the get go, Brown would have sacked Ben (he got a good lick in anyway) on that 4th down or Ben's pass would be Incomplete or picked to either the TE or the WR. (and L. Bell would have been tackled behind the 1st down sticks). Our ball, only down 10 points with 5 minutes left.  This TD wasn't from lack of pass rush, this was pure blown coverage or bad scheme.

Looked like TY had him but Luck was late and under threw the ball to me. TY was clearly behind the DB. I don't think the intention of that play was a 40 yard jump ball.

TY had man on the outside beat him and Luck didn't get him the ball. I will take that play and Luck will get it there the majority of the time.

I agree, the ball was a tad under thrown. 

I wish Luck could throw a fade. He can do everything but that.