Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts part ways with Marwan Maalouf [Merge]

Dan

Wow, That is a surprise. I thought Maalouf done a pretty good job with special teams this yr.. Maybe Maalouf has a better opportunity somewhere else. Don't understand otherwise.

This was the best ST unit we've had in at least 5 years. We were almost average. And I'm being serious.

Twitter:

Colts have announced they have mutually parted ways with special teams asst coach marwan maalouf

He's not the assistant coach, he's ST coordinator, but still a bit of a surprise. I thought ST had been quite good this year, particularly Lefeged and Sergio Brown. 

I hope we hire him, we need some fresh blood at ST coach.

If we were watching the games, Maalouf was often right beside Pagano and Arians during the game.  I felt like he was trying to learn from them during game conditions.  As far as WE know, he may be up for a Division 2 or small D-1 position as a head coach or simply moving on.  It could also mean that the Personnel Department got tired of misspelling his name on the pay stubs.   :funny:  haha  lmao  rotflmao !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to Coach Maalouf!  Our special teams improved in all areas.  Pat McAfee to me WAS the Pro Bowl punter:  His directional punting and net was 100% better, and while his kickoffs were not always 'through the goal post good.....we will not complain :)  Our return teams as stated above each had a return with TY and Karim!  TY very much!!   :)  I will add Hughes's effort on special teams along with Mario Harvey to the above mentioned Lefeged and Brown!!!  Much improved coverage.  This was NOT a firing in any way, shape or form!!!  

HMMMM!  Wonder where he is headed....Baldwin Wallace where he is from?  Here is his back-ground from Colt.com.  I was amazed he was a writer at one point.  I still have a chance :)  :clap:

http://www.colts.com/team/coaches/Marwan-Maalouf/60509137-a20d-4358-8c55-6c89ae019d0d

On the bright side, Dave Toub is available....the bears ST coach

That's my hope. He interviewed for the Bears HC job, but has been given permission to seek out other employment. I'd be THRILLED to have him here. Easily one of the best coaches in the NFL on special teams.

I am surprised by the move.  I thought that the ST had improved greatly, especially with the Colts being handcuffed by all that dead money.

Remember as of right now we have Brant Boyer as Assistant Special Teams Coach.  Maybe Maalouf was hired to 'tailor him...groom him so to speak and then move on.  If Boyer is released there is something to this as a story IMO....Here is Boyer's info:  Notable...1 year experience.

http://www.colts.com/team/coaches/Brant-Boyer/51c4074c-3f24-4765-a182-e819d9d9645a

Edited by BrentMc11

Remember as of right now we have Brant Boyer as Assistant Special Teams Coach.  Maybe Maalouf was hired to 'tailor him...groom him so to speak and then move on.  If Boyer is released their is something to this as a story IMO....Here is Boyer's info:  Notable...1 year experience.

http://www.colts.com/team/coaches/Brant-Boyer/51c4074c-3f24-4765-a182-e819d9d9645a

Good point, btw I got a page error on your link.

I edited it...it should go now...I saw that...try again. You can actually go to Colts.com Coaches if it still does not work.  It worked for me after my edit.  I try and always test my links....I caught this one.   :)  Thanks for pointing out the error....old journalim majors like to be precise :)

It was the best ST unit I've seen in a while, but still really bad at coverage. I think we were all just impressed by our return game and ignored our ability to cover returns.

I dot think our coverage was bad at all. Sure we had a few breakdowns, but what team doesn't? Far more often than not our coverage was better than it's been since the Clinton administration.

Remember as of right now we have Brant Boyer as Assistant Special Teams Coach.  Maybe Maalouf was hired to 'tailor him...groom him so to speak and then move on.  If Boyer is released there is something to this as a story IMO....Here is Boyer's info:  Notable...1 year experience.

I'd buy that, but I don't think you take a guy who has zero years as ST coordinator and hire him to develop a guy with zero years coaching experience for a year to be a ST coordinator.

I'd buy that, but I don't think you take a guy who has zero years as ST coordinator and hire him to develop a guy with zero years coaching experience for a year to be a ST coordinator.

Maalouf was a pretty good assistant at Baltimore....numbers were ....see his link above.  Pagano must have thought he was pretty good to tutor or co/coach with Boyer.  

If Boyer is not retained we will know I was way off....:)  Been there...done that.   rotflmao

Maalouf was a pretty good assistant at Baltimore....numbers were ....see his link above.  Pagano must have thought he was pretty good to tutor or co/coach with Boyer.  

If Boyer is not retained we will know I was way off.... :)  Been there...done that.   rotflmao

How can you measure an assistant's impact? That's hard to define. Especially if teams are willing to let guys just breaking into coaching take that exact same position. I have no doubt Maalouf was qualified to do the job, but I don't think you try a guy at ST coordinator for the first time in his career with the idea of having him train another guy at a job that he's never had himself. And I'm not sure you sign a first year coach with the intention of giving him one year training for a position that usually takes several to get to.

Boyer might stay, that wouldn't be surprising. But I doubt he becomes the ST coach.