Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New interview with Luck

vinatierifan4

Great interview. Gives good insight to the more personal side of Luck. Seems very laid back and just like your normal kid. Still can't believe he still has that dang flip phone! Good to see our fans our telling him to live up to the hype..because he knows he will. #MakeYourLuck

Not living in Indy, I can't say for sure, but I've heard reports that there were even times where Peyton would be walking around downtown and no one would run up to him and ask for an autograph or anything. He would get the smile and "hello", but no one asking for pics or autographs or anything. And honestly, I think that's a great job on the part of the citizens of Indianapolis. These people are famous athletes, but they are also people with private lives. Let them have their privacy, don't horde them every second you see them. Well done, folks of Indianapolis!

That was a great article.

Good interview, hes got a sense of humor and sounds calm and cool and collective yet not only wants absolute perfection out on the field (even though obviously not possible) and sounds like he is ready and willing to be the leader on the field

Talk about the exact same taste in movies and actors. Tom Hanks and RC are two of my favs so are the movies Saving Private Ryan and Gladiator. Andrew seems like a really cool guy and he sure is the epitome of a model athlete, thus far at least.

Let me ask some of you a question. Since Andrew had to finish up school I know he didn't get that many reps in. What are some things he can do until the end of July (or whenever they get back to work) to improve his game? Can he get some reps in with the receivers, practice routes, timing and study the play book? Just trying to get an idea of some of the things he might be doing until they get back to work again.

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, June 26, 2012 - request by op
Hidden by Coltssouth, June 26, 2012 - request by op

Jared Abbrederis**, WR, Wisconsin

Height: 6-2. Weight: 180.

Projected 40 Time: 4.41.

Projected Round (2013): 3-4.

5/12/12: Even though Abbrederis had less receptions than No. 1 receiver Nick Toon, Abbrederis topped Toon in yardage. The sophomore caught 55 passes for 933 yards and eight touchdowns. He exploited a lot of soft coverage and produced some big plays for quarterback Russell Wilson. Abbrederis also returned punts and averaged 16 yards per return.

The Badgers lost a lot on offense, so Abbrederis should see more attention from defenses in 2012. He had a modest freshman season with 20 catches for 289 yards and three scores. Abbrederis has good size with deceptive quickness.

Brandon Jenkins, DE/OLB, Florida State

Height: 6-3. Weight: 250.

Projected 40 Time: 4.67.

Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

5/21/12: Jenkins had a breakout season in 2010. As a first-year starter at right end, he led Florida State in sacks while the Seminoles led the nation in sacks. Jenkins notched 13.5 sacks with 21.5 tackles for a loss. He had five multi-sack games and was voted the team's MVP.

Jenkins started out his junior season slowly. Jenkins drew extra blocking coming off his stellar 2010 season, but that helped defensive end Bjoern Werner have a breakout year. Jenkins didn't play well against Oklahoma, but he bounced back against Clemson with a sack and a number of pressures on quarterback Tajh Boyd.

Jenkins has 39 tackles with 11 tackles for a loss and seven sacks last season. He played better down the stretch as he adjusted to the double teams and also drew more one-on-one blocking. Jenkins's strength is his pass-rushing. He hasn't been a real standout as a run defender.

Jenkins is a speed edge-rusher coming around the corner. He has a nice repertoire of moves to throw at offensive tackles. Jenkins is an excellent athlete who could fit well in a NFL 3-4 defense as an edge-rusher. The biggest negative about him is that he could be more physical at times.

Jenkins' athletic ability is enough of a mismatch for him to record at least seven sacks this season, and he probably will approach double-digit sacks, if not record 10+. That would give him a total of 30 sacks over three seasons and that kind of production usually spells first-round pick.

Devin Taylor, DE/OLB, South Carolina

Height: 6-7. Weight: 248.

Projected 40 Time: 4.69.

Projected Round (2013): 2-3.

5/21/12: Taylor recorded 7.5 sacks with 46 tackles during his sophomore season in 2010. He also broke up eight passes and had an interception returned for a touchdown.

Taylor started the 2011 season extremely slow. Around mid-October, something woke him up and he had a strong three game stretch. Against Arkansas, Taylor recorded a sack with three tackles with 1.5 tackles for a loss, a pass broken up, and an interception returned 48 yards for a touchdown. For the 2011 season, he had 42 tackles with 7.5 tackles for a loss and 7.5 sacks.

Taylor was a backup at times in 2011 with Melvin Ingram and Jadeveon Clowney staring for South Carolina. With Ingram in the NFL, Taylor should have plent of opportunities to improve his production in 2012. Taylor is fast and athletic, and if he is drafted into a 4-3 defense, he probably will need to put on some weight.

David Amerson*, CB, North Carolina State

Height: 6-3. Weight: 194.

Projected 40 Time: 4.46.

Projected Round (2013): Top-10 Pick.

5/22/12: Amerson has a special skill set with size, speed and ball skills. He was simply phenomenal in 2011. Amerson totaled 13 interceptions to lead the nation. That set both school and ACC records since it was the second highest total in FBS history. He also had 59 tackles with five passes broken up. The All-American started nine games as a true freshman in 2010 and had zero interceptions with 57 tackles and a forced fumble.

When the ball is in the air, Amerson is extremely aggressive. He looks like a natural wide receiver with his hands and body control. Meanwhile, his innate ball skills are extremely rare.

Amerson played some safety in high school and should be able to play the position in the NFL if a team wants to move him there. That may be considered if he fills out his frame and gets bigger as he ages.

Teams will avoid throwing in Amerson's direction this season, so it will be hard for him to lead the nation in interceptions again. If he plays well in his best matchups against talented receivers (Tennessee and Clemson) that should help offset the drop in interceptions.

Xavier Rhodes*, CB, Florida State

Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.

Projected 40 Time: 4.44.

Projected Round (2013): Top 25.

5/22/12: Rhodes was consistent as a cover corner as a sophomore last year, so teams threw away from him. He had 43 tackles with an interception and four passes broken up.

Rhodes had an interesting conclusion to his sophomore year. He was matched up against Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd, and Rhodes put together a phenomenal tape for NFL evaluators.

While providing blanket coverage against Floyd, one of the best receivers in the nation, Rhodes went down in a multi-player collision in the second half. He sustained a knee strain and was held out of the end of the game. Prior to Rhodes' injury, Floyd had only three catches for 22 yards.

Rhodes made an immediate impact for Florida State breaking into the lineup as a redshirt freshman. He recorded 58 tackles, four interceptions and 12 passes broken up, along with being named the ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Rhodes is a big cornerback who is very physical with receivers. He does a good job in press man coverage. Off the snap, Rhodes limits the release with a strong jam and rerouting skills. He has the speed and athletic ability to run with receivers after the jam.

Against Floyd, Rhodes showed the ability to match up with an elite receiver. Floyd couldn't beat Rhodes with speed or size. He is a good run defender who is capable of putting on some nice hits on ball carriers.

Alvin Bailey*, OT/G, Arkansas

Height: 6-5. Weight: 319.

Projected 40 Time: 5.36.

5/13/12: Alvin Bailey enters his junior season coming off a two good redshirt years in 2010 and 2011. He has started at guard and did a good job in blocking for running back Knile Davis and quarterback Ryan Mallett in 2010. Davis ran for over 1,000 yards, and Mallett threw for more than 3,000 yards with Bailey blocking up front. He was an SEC All-Freshman selection.

Bailey was a strong pass protector as a sophomore for quarterback Tyler Wilson in 2011 and was a Second-Team All-SEC pick. Bailey is a strong guard who already is a good run blocker. He should only get better as he gains experience and has a high ceiling for the NFL.

Chance Warmack, G, Alabama

Height: 6-3. Weight: 320.

Projected 40 Time: 5.30.

5/13/12: Chance Warmack enters his senior season having started two seasons at guard for the Crimson Tide. He is a powerful road-grader who did an excellent job of opening up holes for the Alabama running game in 2011. Warmack could see his stock rise over his senior season. He played better in the rematch against LSU than he did in the regular season contest. As long as Warmack stays healthy, he should be a solid second-day pick.

Larry Warford*, G, Kentucky

Height: 6-3. Weight: 340.

Projected 40 Time: 5.31.

5/13/12: Larry Warford was named a Second-Team All-SEC performer in 2011 for the second straight season. He did a very good job of opening up holes for running back Derrick Locke in 2010. Waford is also a good pass blocker. He is strong at the point of attack and can push defensive linemen around. He Furthermore, Warford underrated speed and quickness for his size. Warford, Warmack and Bailey are all very comparable prospects who should turn into solid starters at guard in the NFL.

Wharmack obviously blocked for Trent Richardson

I am trying to find all the highlights I can on these guys, both the good and the bad

Not living in Indy, I can't say for sure, but I've heard reports that there were even times where Peyton would be walking around downtown and no one would run up to him and ask for an autograph or anything. He would get the smile and "hello", but no one asking for pics or autographs or anything. And honestly, I think that's a great job on the part of the citizens of Indianapolis. These people are famous athletes, but they are also people with private lives. Let them have their privacy, don't horde them every second you see them. Well done, folks of Indianapolis!

21st....that is Indy. I used to go to a local Meijer, and would routinely see Al Unser Sr., Mario Andretti and AJ Foyt. Folks in and around Indy are not star-struck. It is as simple as a "Hello Andrew, Hello Peyton etc." I simply said Hello Al in the shoe aisle. :)

This is true and have seen it in person. I've seen multiples Active/Former Colts/Pacers players before in Marsh, Dicks Sporting Goods and other places around the Traders Point shopping center alone. I've seen some in Carmel, IN and downtown Indy as well and have not seen them harassed or constantly bothered. I might say hello to a few of them if I'm close (Ran into Gary Brackett at a Quizno's freshman year and said hello), but that's about it. I think most do a great job of respecting the athletes space and privacy outside their 'job'. The athletes also are very polite if you say hello to them, they understand what their status in life brings them.

Nice interview Andrew. Thank you for not choosing to engage in Twitter. Besides, owner Jim Irsay pretty much has that realm covered these days along with several other Colts athletes I suppose.

Plus, I like having a QB that grew up in Germany. Spending your youth abroad exposes a person to different cultural phenomenon like language, history, citizenry, cuisine, terrain, & climate. It gives a person a true appreciation of diversity.

"... I find myself drawn to stadium and arena architecture." Great, whenever Lucas Oil Stadium needs an upgraded renovation Andrew Luck will draft the blueprints, enhance the fan experience, & fix the problem. Just think of the money Irsay will save & ticket prices shouldn't get blown out of proportion either.

I am glad to hear that people leave him alone.

That will end....he'll be famous soon enough....

I feel for him....

When you've lived in California..for a few years....Indiana must seem awfuly strange...

(when you lived in California..everyplace must seem strange)

I am glad to hear that people leave him alone.

That will end....he'll be famous soon enough....

I feel for him....

When you've lived in California..for a few years....Indiana must seem awfuly strange...

(when you lived in California..everyplace must seem strange)

What's that supposed to mean exactly? Not all of CA is surrounded by models, celebrities, mixed nuts, "beautiful people" & fruits Oldunclemark.

The Midwest can certainly have all those key elements as well. Don't you agree?

There will always be a period of adjustment no matter where an NFL athlete sets down their profession roots IMO.

Obviously, there's a much different atmosphere and pace of life in California than there is in the midwest.

I dont know about realtive fruits and nuts but Palo Alto California is not like Indianapolis...agreed?

The greater point which is: I'm glad to hear that people leave him alone.

Andrew has a laid back personality which matches the Midwestern lifestyle, and his closest football buddies from Stanford were/are from the Midwest. Also, Indianapolis is not the same town it was 30-40 years ago. I went to technical college on Washington Ave (close to the Circle City Mall) many moons ago and was shocked at the growth and buildup of restaurants, sports bars, hotels downtown.

Obviously, there's a much different atmosphere and pace of life in California than there is in the midwest.

I dont know about realtive fruits and nuts but Palo Alto California is not like Indianapolis...agreed?

The greater point which is: I'm glad to hear that people leave him alone.

I have relatives that live in CA who aren't exactly living in the lap of luxury. The traffic congestion might be different as well as the weather not to mention population density.

But, every spot has it's pros & cons I guess.

Perhaps INDY is slower paced than CA & to your point people will respect his privacy there more likely than CA I suppose. Point taken. No harm done Oldunclemark. We are cool. :dancing:

I have relatives that live in CA who aren't exactly living in the lap of luxury. The traffic congestion might be different as well as the weather not to mention population density.

But, every spot has it's pros & cons I guess.

Perhaps INDY is slower paced than CA & to your point people will respect his privacy there more likely than CA I suppose. Point taken. No harm done Oldunclemark. We are cool. :dancing:

Put it this way, the paparazzi in Indy is Phil Richards and Bob Urrgh Kravitz.....and Mike Chappell.....and old Hockey Bob Lamey....cannot wait to hear him call Andrew Luck's debut....win or lose. :)

I am a born and bred New Yorker, moved 8 years ago, and was very impressed with Indy and the RCA Dome when I took my Father to a game vs the Bengals in 1999. I had never been to a sporting event where there were signs posted against foul language and the fans of both teams actually followed that rule! It was the single best sporting experience I have ever experienced due to the fans, the atmosphere the team tolerated and the city itself. I have had nowhere near the same experiences in NY, Florida or Mass so it doesn't suprise me that both Peyton and Luck were/are being treated as" normal folk" by the locals as I would expect no less from my experience there.

I am a born and bred New Yorker, moved 8 years ago, and was very impressed with Indy and the RCA Dome when I took my Father to a game vs the Bengals in 1999. I had never been to a sporting event where there were signs posted against foul language and the fans of both teams actually followed that rule! It was the single best sporting experience I have ever experienced due to the fans, the atmosphere the team tolerated and the city itself. I have had nowhere near the same experiences in NY, Florida or Mass so it doesn't suprise me that both Peyton and Luck were/are being treated as" normal folk" by the locals as I would expect no less from my experience there.

Great post Vinny! It IS refreshing to not have thugs at games booing just to hear themselves boo....and cursing the opponent due to a bad hair day or a fluke interception or fumble. Thanks for posting!

Great read, thanks for sharing! Andrew has a quick wit that had me chuckling at times, and he's also smart. NIce of him to take the time to indulge Bob (and us for that matter) by answering :)

Like everyone else, it's nice to hear that Indy (and Indiana for that matter) isn't a celebrity crazed city (and state). As someone else said famous people are just people, they have a private life too. Shoot everyone ought to be able to make a trip to the grocery store in a peaceful fashion. Good job Indy!!

Andrew, get comfy cause you're gonna be here for a long time :)

Nothing to add.... but changed my avatar to Luck at Stanford. Figured it's technically correct since he's not yet signed and not on the roster...

Just seeing how it looks... Lets see... I just push the button that say... "Post"....

EDIT-NOTE:

Not good.... the top of his head is cut off... it looks fine in my profile... but not when I post....

Grrrrr..... sometimes technology is not your friend!!

Anyone with any suggestions?

EDIT-NOTE #2

Changed avatars again to another pix and this one works better... the head is almost cut off, but still clean, so I'll go with this one...

Thanks...

Nothing to add.... but changed my avatar to Luck at Stanford. Figured it's technically correct since he's not yet signed and not on the roster...

Just seeing how it looks... Lets see... I just push the button that say... "Post"....

EDIT-NOTE:

Not good.... the top of his head is cut off... it looks fine in my profile... but not when I post....

Grrrrr..... sometimes technology is not your friend!!

Anyone with any suggestions?

EDIT-NOTE #2

Changed avatars again to another pix and this one works better... the head is almost cut off, but still clean, so I'll go with this one...

Thanks...

Im just figuring it out now myself lol one steo at a time

What's that supposed to mean exactly? Not all of CA is surrounded by models, celebrities, mixed nuts, "beautiful people" & fruits Oldunclemark.

The Midwest can certainly have all those key elements as well. Don't you agree?

There will always be a period of adjustment no matter where an NFL athlete sets down their profession roots IMO.

You can't define California or Californians easily. It is a very large state, with varying climates, populations, and cultures.

That being said, I lived in Palo Alto while Luck was at Stanford, and currently live a few miles up 101 from there now. I previously lived just outside Indianapolis. They are nothing alike. The only similarity is that you'll find good and bad people in both areas, but the people, lifestyles, weather, scenery, and mindset are completely different. Now Luck, being a traveled and intelligent young man, will be able to find the good in any place he lands. He has the right attitude. I know everybody is different, but frankly Indy is still "naptown" compared to the Bay Area as far as things to do. The Bay Area and Indianapolis are like comparing apples to oldsmobiles.

And I mean no disrespect to Indianapolis or Hoosiers. I loved living in Indy, I still have tons of family and friends there, as well as a million great memories. The people are amazing.

You can't define California or Californians easily. It is a very large state, with varying climates, populations, and cultures.

That being said, I lived in Palo Alto while Luck was at Stanford, and currently live a few miles up 101 from there now. I previously lived just outside Indianapolis. They are nothing alike. The only similarity is that you'll find good and bad people in both areas, but the people, lifestyles, weather, scenery, and mindset are completely different. Now Luck, being a traveled and intelligent young man, will be able to find the good in any place he lands. He has the right attitude. I know everybody is different, but frankly Indy is still "naptown" compared to the Bay Area as far as things to do. The Bay Area and Indianapolis are like comparing apples to oldsmobiles.

And I mean no disrespect to Indianapolis or Hoosiers. I loved living in Indy, I still have tons of family and friends there, as well as a million great memories. The people are amazing.

This is why every Colts player has a vacation home on the coast somewhere lol. I hear the thing from a lot of players whose teams are located in the midwest. Too cold/too much city.

I have been to San Francisco and frankly did not find it all that appealing. It just depends on what type of lifestyle you desire.

Great post Vinny! It IS refreshing to not have thugs at games booing just to hear themselves boo....and cursing the opponent due to a bad hair day or a fluke interception or fumble. Thanks for posting!

Very true...it was a family type atmosphere. We even had 4 heavy drinking Bengals fans behind us and they were totally cool and respectful even though Indy whipped em good!

By then (1999) I had stopped going to Yankee and Jets(only when they played my beloved Colts, I can't stand the Jets ;)--) games due to fights and obnoxious behavior that over shadowed the actual event. Don't get me wrong I am no prude nor wimp but I am there to watch a sporting event not to get arrested for smacking around a drunk who deserves it :-). So I really was incredibly impressed with Indy and hope to make another game over there soon.

After writing this yesterday I looked back on my life of over 45 years and thought of all the people I had ever met from Indianapolis (Vinny has been all over the US) and couldn't think of one that rubbed me the wrong way and that says alot!

Very true...it was a family type atmosphere. We even had 4 heavy drinking Bengals fans behind us and they were totally cool and respectful even though Indy whipped em good!

By then (1999) I had stopped going to Yankee and Jets(only when they played my beloved Colts, I can't stand the Jets ;)--) games due to fights and obnoxious behavior that over shadowed the actual event. Don't get me wrong I am no prude nor wimp but I am there to watch a sporting event not to get arrested for smacking around a drunk who deserves it :-). So I really was incredibly impressed with Indy and hope to make another game over there soon.

After writing this yesterday I looked back on my life of over 45 years and thought of all the people I had ever met from Indianapolis (Vinny has been all over the US) and couldn't think of one that rubbed me the wrong way and that says alot!

Another nice post....good to hear from someone who has traveled to many cities!!

Put it this way, the paparazzi in Indy is Phil Richards and Bob Urrgh Kravitz.....and Mike Chappell.....and old Hockey Bob Lamey....cannot wait to hear him call Andrew Luck's debut....win or lose. :)

Phillip B Wilson....just noticed my mistake. Sorry guys/gals.