Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign OT George Foster and Waive FB Mahaffey [Merge]

Playoffs2013

maybe we wont install a FB in our offense unless carter is gonna be playing FB or maybe dwayne allen. arians offense is more 3-5 wr sets with TEs out on the tackles so maybe he didnt want to include a FB into his scheme.

Arians, and Luck to a lesser degree, utilize TE/FB hybrids in that spot. David Johnson was a TE/FB with the Steelers, Ryan Hewitt was a converted TE at Stanford. Allen or Smith could be used there, or Evans or Carter in more of a WCO-style fullback. What I take from this is that the fullback won't be important enough to care a guy that can only play that position.

If anything, Arians past at least indicates a willingness to play actual blockers at the position when it comes to it, which is refreshing still.

we picked up OT George Foster ( No not the Reds outfielder LOL) from the Saints.. rotoworld said he is " A Certified Bust " interesting move ...

While in Denver he was replaced by none other than Adam Meadows. Listed as one of the Denver Broncos top 10 draft busts by Mile High Report.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/4/7/2096213/nfl-draft-Top-Ten-Denver-Broncos-Draft-Busts-George-Foster

So the running game is on the way out replaced by passing--which is fine, but do we run the danger of becoming predictable?

I must've missed the concept that a running game required a FB. Hmmmmmm.

They work for some teams, and not for others. If we don't have a GOOD FB, there is no sense keeping one on the roster. Might as well throw a TE back there as an Hback if they need the role.

In any case, I don't see how this cut means we're not going to run the ball. He was camp fodder. Cutting him means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Fullbacks are obsolete unless they can play Special Teams and make plays in the passing game.

Yep.

They can also be picked up off the scrap heap at any time, much like Mahaffey was in the first place.

Personally, i'm glad we won't be wasting a roster spot on some mediocre-at-best player at a position that is, as you said, obsolete.

I thought it was pretty obvious we wouldn't be using a fullback very often when we hired Bruce Arians. I'm sure we'll have someone in camp with a chance of making the team, but it doesn't surprise me that our staff wasn't impressed with Mahaffey, or that they felt Cassius Vaughn would be more valuable to us than Chris Gronkowski.

Well, there goes the fullback. It looks like it's going to be a single back 100% of the time.

I liked Mahaffey, but it doesn't matter if he's on the roster or not.

At least the Colts have depth on the Oline

I have no idea if Foster will work out for us. None. But if we signed him as a FA, and I'm guessing that's what we did, then it cost us basically little to nothing to take a look. And now is the time to take a look. Sometimes a bust works out later because they grow up and realize they've spent their signing bonus money and no one cares that they're a former 1st round draft pick anymore. And sometimes big players -- lineman -- mature physically later.... and sometimes a lineman is a bad fit in one system but a better fit in another system. Perhaps our OL coaches remember him from college and think he's a project they can work with? Dunno. I only know he's worth a look. If it doesn't work out, thanks very much, we have lovely parting gifts for you on the way out. But, if it pays off, then 30 other teams will wonder why they didn't sign him....

Take a look. It can't hurt....

NewColtsFan

Foster (6-5, 338) started 57 of the 68 games in which he appeared with the Denver Broncos (2003-2006) and Detroit Lions (2007-2008). He also spent time with the Cleveland Browns (2009), the Omaha Nighthawks of the United Football League (2010) and the New Orleans Saints (2011).

Foster was the 20th overall selection in the 2003 draft. He has blocked for four 1,000-yard rushers: Clinton Portis (2003), Reuben Droughns (2004), Mike Anderson (2005) and Tatum Bell (2006).

Doesn't that leave us with 0 fullbacks on the roster as well. Well Bruce Arians does love to use tight ends in his fullback roles

Ugh my bad didn't realize this was already posted before I did

Maybe we have the best player available criteria being used in free agency as well. We got rid of Gronkowski for Vaguhn. We brought in Taylor for Eldridge. Now we lose Mahaffey for Foster. At 238lbs on a 5-9 frame it seems Carter could play FB in a 2 back offense. Ballard is 217 and could also play in a similar roll. Allen was a very good blocker at Clemson his 2nd year but switched to more of a pass receiver his last year. He went in motion a lot and could play the HB roll. Andre Smith is an excellent blocker and could play that roll. It seems funny now but I have suggested in a couple of posts that Jerry Hughes could play that roll. I noticed in the pictures of the OTAs that Jerry was caught forming his hands in a manner similar to a RB receiving the football from the QB. In that drill Hughes was watching another back I believe was Ballard.

Yes we did and also noticed he was not a good T last year. Maybe he added muscle to move to G this year.

Not sure, if he hasnt played the position before I would play Hayworth Hicks way before him, the dude is a violent run blocker and good at pass blocking

Maybe we have the best player available criteria being used in free agency as well. We got rid of Gronkowski for Vaguhn. We brought in Taylor for Eldridge. Now we lose Mahaffey for Foster. At 238lbs on a 5-9 frame it seems Carter could play FB in a 2 back offense. Ballard is 217 and could also play in a similar roll. Allen was a very good blocker at Clemson his 2nd year but switched to more of a pass receiver his last year. He went in motion a lot and could play the HB roll. Andre Smith is an excellent blocker and could play that roll. It seems funny now but I have suggested in a couple of posts that Jerry Hughes could play that roll. I noticed in the pictures of the OTAs that Jerry was caught forming his hands in a manner similar to a RB receiving the football from the QB. In that drill Hughes was watching another back I believe was Ballard.

Jerry Hughes will never play FB, but keep bringing it up, I get a laugh every time you do.

While in Denver he was replaced by none other than Adam Meadows. Listed as one of the Denver Broncos top 10 draft busts by Mile High Report.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/4/7/2096213/nfl-draft-Top-Ten-Denver-Broncos-Draft-Busts-George-Foster

Sometimes guys go to a new system or new team and show why they were so highly valued.

Unfortunately I can't think of too many examples outside of the 70s/80s era Raiders. But he's cheap, why not take a shot?

Sometimes a bust works out later because they grow up and realize they've spent their signing bonus money and no one cares that they're a former 1st round draft pick anymore. And sometimes big players -- lineman -- mature physically later....

NewColtsFan

I agree with your premise, but this is much later. Foster was drafted 9 seasons ago. I still don't know that I'd label him a bust, but he never really came close to living up to his perceived potential out of college. He was overdrafted, but has had a fairly productive career. Lots of mental mistakes... I hope he doesn't have to be in for too many snaps this season, but I like the move to bigger O linemen.

I agree with your premise, but this is much later. Foster was drafted 9 seasons ago. I still don't know that I'd label him a bust, but he never really came close to living up to his perceived potential out of college. He was overdrafted, but has had a fairly productive career.

Foster drafted back in 2003?!? Wow, talk about a trip in the Time Machine!?! Either my memory is working Way too hard, or not nearly hard enough!?! Can't tell if I should laugh over this news, or cry?

Either way, thanks for setting me straight. Please forward all correspondence to me at the Home for those with Increasingly Faulty Memories!! Address to come later --- if I remember to post it!

<<DOH!!!>> :facepalm::loco:

NewColtsFan

My question is, why did they sign him? We have 6 Tackles now, unless its what I said a while back about stocking up on one position so they dont have to make cuts at another position or a few of the Tackles arent healthy or someones about to get cut from that position (Tepper or Linkenbach maybe?)

My question is, why did they sign him? We have 6 Tackles now, unless its what I said a while back about stocking up on one position so they dont have to make cuts at another position or a few of the Tackles arent healthy or someones about to get cut from that position (Tepper or Linkenbach maybe?)

That (bold) is absolutely not the case. Grigs is just trying to bring in the best talent/potential to compete in TC.